Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Look at the way you lay back with your legs stretched out in front of you it's just like a lazyboy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
I refuse to believe there is any motorcycle with more comfortable cruising suspension than a supermoto. So much travel to just soak up any bump in the road.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Pretty sure supermoto suspension + touring chassis = big GS/mutlistrada/KTM adventure. So you're right.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

Z3n posted:

CRUISERS ARE SO COMFORTABLE

Maybe the handlebars weren't long enough? Nothing like having your feet on the OBGYN highway stirrups with your hands in the "about to do a pullup" position for comfortable cruising mile after mile. Your tailbone is an excellent shock absorber didn't you know?

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Yerok posted:

I refuse to believe there is any motorcycle with more comfortable cruising suspension than a supermoto. So much travel to just soak up any bump in the road.

I'd agree with you but I'm on a stock DRZ seat.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

"Bugdrvr" posted:

Nothing like having your feet on the OBGYN highway stirrups with your hands in the "about to do a pullup" position

I call these guys "road starfish".

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Gingerbread men in my household.

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Sagebrush posted:

I call these guys "road starfish".

I call it "The Flying Taco".

My bike looks like this right now:

So it has standard mid-controls. But yeah, it's not built for comfort from the factory because Harley.

Long-term plan is some 13" progressive shocks for less back-shattering ride, and a 2-1 and rearsets so I can actually take turns at speed.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I can understand the exhaust, but why different rearsets? Is it for ground clearance, or posture?

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Slavvy posted:

I can understand the exhaust, but why different rearsets? Is it for ground clearance, or posture?

Both. I scraped the exhaust on one side and the peg on the other while I was in the mountains today. Will probably go to clip-ons when I do the rearsets.

Long-term goal is something kinda like this:

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009

Chichevache posted:

I was actually gonna add the caveat that I coughed up for the Seat Concepts foam and cover.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Cruisers just need backrests and more real suspension travel. It's amazing what having your back supported can do for comfort on two wheels. To see what I mean go rent a recumbent bicycle. When I had one it was so drat nice to have to end a ride because I was exhausted rather than ending a ride because my wrist or sit bones couldn't take anymore.

Outside Dawg
Feb 24, 2013
Cruisers also need forward controls, because mids suck.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Yerok posted:

It's also a lot more comfortable when you can just push up from the pegs with your feet to get your weight off your butt and onto your legs just before you hit a bump. Sumos/dualsports/advs/standards are great for that, bikes with forward controls or rearsets less so.

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

What the gently caress kind of gas station doesn't take credit cards in TYOOL 2014?? I ended up being late to work today because I had to stop at three places before I could finally fill up. The first place didn't take credit cards at all - no slot on the pump and the guy at the window wouldn't put less than $10 on a card. The second place had all the card readers on the pumps covered with tape and said their credit card system was broken. Gah, that poo poo was frustrating.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Chichevache posted:

Try the Suzuki Gel Seat for the DRZ. You'll be praying for the sweet pillowy comfort of the stock seat within 10 miles

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Koruthaiolos posted:

What the gently caress kind of gas station doesn't take credit cards in TYOOL 2014?? I ended up being late to work today because I had to stop at three places before I could finally fill up. The first place didn't take credit cards at all - no slot on the pump and the guy at the window wouldn't put less than $10 on a card. The second place had all the card readers on the pumps covered with tape and said their credit card system was broken. Gah, that poo poo was frustrating.

There are country towns here where the petrol stations still close at 6pm.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
I try to always have a bit of cash on me when I ride just cause roadside markets don't usually take a card.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
There are a -lot- of places in CT that don't take credit cards. Usually a gas station will have an ATM, though.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I leave two twenties in the inside pocket of my riding jacket along with the insurance, earplugs, etc. Just in case.

(please don't mug me now that I've told you where i hide my money)

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Snowdens Secret posted:

There are a -lot- of places in CT that don't take credit cards. Usually a gas station will have an ATM, though.

I was surprised a couple times when the attendants looked at me stupid when I tried to pay with cash before filling up.

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

Yeah, when I'm just trading around I always have a few bucks in cash for emergencies, but not for my commute which is almost entirely in the city... I guess that will have to change.

I was also annoyed with myself because I knew I needed gas on my way home Friday afternoon but assumed I would go for a fun ride during the weekend and get gas then. I totally forgot about it and I ended up not getting out so I was already rushing to have time on the way in this morning.

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
Today I went to change from the left to the right lane on a lazy 25 mph street because someone who needed to go 15 over was riding my rear end. As I'm looking over my shoulder into the right lane with my signal on and beginning to merge into a two-car length open spot, a middle-aged Corolla driver decided they needed the spot more than me. I just gave up, maintained my lane, dropped a gear, and left the traffic behind me. Never before has someone literally driven into me while I was changing lanes.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Akion posted:

But yeah, it's not built for comfort from the factory because Harley.

I'd probably go with not built for comfort from the factory because Sporty.

I've rode a few tourers and they're pretty dang comfy.

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer

clutchpuck posted:

I'd probably go with not built for comfort from the factory because Sporty.

I've rode a few tourers and they're pretty dang comfy.

Yeah, I know the bigger bikes are definitely more comfy. I meant it more as a "We build these things for looks" kind of attitude. Your correction is probably more accurate, though.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I parked my old CL350 outside for a single night while I was figuring out where to put it now that I own two bikes, and someone poured kool-aid or a melted slurpee or something equally bright red and sticky all over the seat and tank. Probably the rear end in a top hat teenagers from the high school up the road.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
YOUTHS. :argh: Does it come off easy, at least?

Some rear end in a top hat in my apartment complex just got a new harley somesuch a few weeks back. It has short straight pipes, and the engine is stroked or something. I've never heard a bike idle as loud or as bad as this. Louder than the straight pipe harley coredump showed me, while also sounding like a rolling drum of rocks. Like it's three beats a second, that slightly increases in frequency, before dropping down and starting over, loud as a machine gun.

This would be whatever, except that the guy is so proud of his ownership achievement that he let's the bike idle for ten minutes every time. I assume he is letting it get up to temp. He also let's it idle a few minutes every time he pulls in to park before turning it off. This happens at 6am, 10am, 2pm, 9pm, any time really. Long enough to ensure anyone who is sleeping or concentrating is fully awake or distracted. Of course, you can also loudly hear him stall the bike multiple times trying to get moving.

Typical lack of gear, half face helmet, occasional gearless pillion. I'd be comforted in knowing that he will wad the bike and himself soon and end my pain, but it's a harley. Each time it happens I'm not in a position to go out and speak to him about it. What is this, 1963? Who needs to idle their modern vehicle so long? I have a loudish pipe on my bike, but I'm courteous enough to start the bike and GTFO while keeping rpm low and quiet, and not rip it in residential areas after hours. This guy waits until its up to temp, then rips it out blasting music from his speakers.

Bike thieves should just target people like this who don't deserve their bike. I know I sound a bit like a resident of NZ, but this is ridiculous.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Coydog posted:

Some rear end in a top hat in my apartment complex just got a new harley somesuch a few weeks back. It has short straight pipes, and the engine is stroked or something. I've never heard a bike idle as loud or as bad as this. Louder than the straight pipe harley coredump showed me, while also sounding like a rolling drum of rocks. Like it's three beats a second, that slightly increases in frequency, before dropping down and starting over, loud as a machine gun.
If it's really that bad, it's almost certainly breaking some sort of state or civic noise law. If you're comfortable enough, research and tell him. If you're not, tell the cops and let them worry about it.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

If you're feeling ballsy, weld on the most restrictive muffler you can find in the dead of night.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Coydog posted:

YOUTHS. :argh: Does it come off easy, at least?

Yeah, it came off pretty easily just with water, but goddamn was it ever bright red. A single swipe and it stained the blue sponge dark brown. The water pooling on the ground was visibly red. If it didn't smell kind of fruity I would have assumed someone just poured red dye or paint on the thing. And people drink this??

slidebite posted:

If it's really that bad, it's almost certainly breaking some sort of state or civic noise law. If you're comfortable enough, research and tell him. If you're not, tell the cops and let them worry about it.

http://drivinglaws.aaa.com/laws/motorcycle-noise-limits/

Different states have different limits. In California it can't be more than 80 decibels (as loud as a telephone dial tone in your ear, if anyone remembers that) 50 feet away from the bike at any RPM or load condition. So basically everything with an aftermarket exhaust is going to be illegal in California.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 21:08 on May 7, 2014

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
My state has no noise restrictions. Anything goes. I do find the idea of welding some 250r mufflers on it pretty hilarious. Definitely better than my urge to top up his oil to the brim in the dead of night. Or just give the bike a nice push on my way by.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

You said they're straight pipes? Jam a cored-out potato about a foot down one of them with a broom handle and see if he can figure that one out.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Sagebrush posted:

You said they're straight pipes? Jam a cored-out potato about a foot down one of them with a broom handle and see if he can figure that one out.

POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTAtopotatopotatopotatopotato

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

Safety Dance posted:

If you're feeling ballsy, weld on the most restrictive muffler you can find in the dead of night.

Or, you know, talk to him? Explain him that this isn't appropriate behaviour and would really appreciate keeping other human beings in mind? Like a normal human being?

You do this by screaming in to a bullhorn at an indicated 6 inches from his face, obviously.

Sagebrush posted:

Now you turned a harley into a bad rear end potato gun. Not worth it imho.

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Coydog posted:

What is this, 1963? Who needs to idle their modern vehicle so long? I have a loudish pipe on my bike, but I'm courteous enough to start the bike and GTFO while keeping rpm low and quiet, and not rip it in residential areas after hours. This guy waits until its up to temp, then rips it out blasting music from his speakers.

Bike thieves should just target people like this who don't deserve their bike. I know I sound a bit like a resident of NZ, but this is ridiculous.

Assuming it's a newer, FI bike then no. I just start mine up and by the time I have my helmet strapped on and gloves on it's good to go.

If it's carbed, the carb probably isn't tuned and he's just a complete fuckwad (well, he sounds like he is either way).

Go talk to him. If it continues, get the relevant authorities involved.

Or just gorilla glue a 12" dildo to the seat.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Yet another awesome comedy option. I've not been in a position to go over and speak with him yet when he is at the bike, but definitely plan to ASAP. Thing is, people in my area don't really care about the noise they make. The general feeling is that asking them to not make a huge amount of noise is the height of rudeness. Somehow. Like it's their right to muddy the waters for the rest of us. It is their right, of course, but that hardly makes it right.

Basically, if these people weren't huge dicks who didn't care about the nuisance they are, they wouldn't be a bother in the first place. Like me. I start and go. Nobody is waiting to hear my loud bike start and run. It is kind of related to blasting loud music in a quiet neighborhood. The idea comes to mind that "this song is so good, I just know everyone around me worships my choice and is basking in the glow of audio" . But most people grow out of this beyond their rear end in a top hat teen years. Maybe not most. Some. A few.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Just flipped that KZ650 for $300 in profit. Can't beat that.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Aaaaaaand i just dropped my GSX's tank onto a side panel. Huge dent and broken tabs. Sigh.

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Good thing you got that spare $300 then!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discomancer
Aug 31, 2001

I'm on a cupcake caper!
The worst thing: snow that piles up on your visor and doesn't loving slide off. Just spent an hour and a half doing 60 mph in a 35 degree snowstorm with my helmet totally open since wiping it off with my glove was just smearing it around.

COME ON, IT'S loving MAY I SHOULDN'T BE POSTING ABOUT SNOW aaaaargh oh well I tried to go camping, I gave it a good honest effort.