Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fermun
Nov 4, 2009

Desperado Bones posted:

I had the Mexican version of steak tartare(they told me it was called "carne cruda", which is ground beef with onions,cilantro,tomato and lemon juice) and it was delicious, it's a miracle I didn't die or something. Won't try it again.

The lemon/lime juice does an acid cook of the meat just like ceviche does with fish. I've never seen it done with ground beef, only with finely chopped beef, but assuming it's freshly ground in a clean meat grinder it is fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Tardigrade posted:

The best raw meat (in my biased opinion) is kibbeh nayyeh, which is raw meat stirred in with spices and bulgur, topped with pine nuts and mint leaves. This is what it looks like.

I've been told it looks gross as gently caress but I think it's delicious, so... depends on how white you are? :shrug:

ulmont posted:

That looks pretty good, but I prefer gored gored.

There used to be an amazing Ethiopian restaurant around here. I only got to go to it once before it closed down, but I will vouch that this food rules.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

ulmont posted:

That looks pretty good, but I prefer gored gored.

So, is that foam rubber?

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Iron Crowned posted:

So, is that foam rubber?

It's a very gooey Ethiopian flatbread that's really delicious. I've never had the chance to try actual gored gored, but ever since seeing it on No Reservations some years back, I've always wanted to give it a shot. It looks amazing.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I've had Ethiopian food a couple of times and absolutely can't stand it. Its like eating everything out of rolled up paper towels.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

S-Alpha posted:

It's a very gooey Ethiopian flatbread that's really delicious. I've never had the chance to try actual gored gored, but ever since seeing it on No Reservations some years back, I've always wanted to give it a shot. It looks amazing.
For a second there I thought it was tripe. :ohdear: We're planning to try Ethiopian food for the first time on our anniversary at the end of the month and are looking forward to it (although they don't seem to have gored gored there).

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

fermun posted:

The lemon/lime juice does an acid cook of the meat just like ceviche does with fish. I've never seen it done with ground beef, only with finely chopped beef, but assuming it's freshly ground in a clean meat grinder it is fine.

It was probably supermarket ground meat coming from a probably not so hygienic Mexican slaughter place,trust me, I live in Mexico, that's why I say I was lucky I didn't end with some killing diarrhea or worms in my brain.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!
The flatbread is a bit of an acquired taste, I think. It's really spongey and kind of sour tasting. The first time I tried it I didn't like it much, but it has grown on me since. It's used as an utensil to eat the rest of the food, which is usually pretty delicious.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

This is the Swedish version of steak tartare: råbiff. Fresh ground beef with plenty of black pepper, a raw egg yoik, chopped red onions, capers and sweet pickled beets. Optional condiments are dijon mustard and grated horseradish.

It is delicious!

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Raw pork.

Minarchist
Mar 5, 2009

by WE B Bourgeois

That looks like it just needs 15 minutes in a toaster oven.

Peppi
May 17, 2011

by Lowtax

My dad used to always steal some meat when I was making meatballs or burgers. Spread that poo poo on some toasted rye bread and top with red onions, salt and pepper. Best when made from a beef/pork mix.

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Bender: "I was God once." God: "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

Peppi posted:

My dad used to always steal some meat when I was making meatballs or burgers. Spread that poo poo on some toasted rye bread and top with red onions, salt and pepper. Best when made from a beef/pork mix.

Same with my dad. He'd make lamb, pork, and beef meatballs while keeping a raw portion to go on rolls with white onions, parsley, and a raw egg yolk. It was heaven when I was younger. Now my wife thinks I'm nuts when I try to do that.

Minarchist
Mar 5, 2009

by WE B Bourgeois

Peppi posted:

Best when made from a beef/pork mix.

50/50 patties are great for hamburgers, just add a little Worcestershire sauce and onion powder to the mix. Or use breadcrumbs and an egg + spices for meatballs. I guess that pic is supposed to be eaten as-is or something because I don't see whats so gross about it at all. :confused:

e: oh it is supposed to be eaten raw? Is there a way to prepare it so your gut doesn't wind up becoming an unwitting host? :can:

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Bender: "I was God once." God: "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

Minarchist posted:

50/50 patties are great for hamburgers, just add a little Worcestershire sauce and onion powder to the mix. Or use breadcrumbs and an egg + spices for meatballs. I guess that pic is supposed to be eaten as-is or something because I don't see whats so gross about it at all. :confused:

e: oh it is supposed to be eaten raw? Is there a way to prepare it so your gut doesn't wind up becoming an unwitting host? :can:

Yeah there is. Have it fresh ground in a clean meat grinder and eat it that day.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

B.B. Rodriguez posted:

Yeah there is. Have it fresh ground in a clean meat grinder and eat it that day.

This. The main reason why (beef, at least) has a reputation for being dangerous when raw/undercooked is because the US has the lowest standards for slaughterhouse and meat cleanliness in pretty much the Western world. You have no way of knowing how much meat and/or poop that grinder touched before it touched absolutely every part of your ground beef unless you cleaned that grinder yourself beforehand.

Solid cuts, on the other hand, are relatively safe. Your slaughterhouse crud will only have touched the outside, really, and refrigeration does wonders for keeping bacteria from spreading all that much. So, you can sear the outside of your meat and be totally fine with a bleeding steak.

(fresh) Beef that you know came from a clean source, though, is totally safe to eat raw.

Pork I can't speak for, because I guess it actually is known to have parasite issues? So does fish, for that matter, but apparently that's what wasabi is for.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Sushi grade fish is flash frozen to kill parasites. I wouldn't trust wasabi to do any kind of meaningful disinfecting.

And pork actually is pretty much trichinosis free these days and the FDA says you only have to cook them to an internal temperature of 145F.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

deadly_pudding posted:

Pork I can't speak for, because I guess it actually is known to have parasite issues? So does fish, for that matter, but apparently that's what wasabi is for.

Pork depends on where you live. What you should worry about is trichinosis. Here in Sweden that doesn't really exist in pork stocks anymore, so raw pork is just as safe to eat as beef really. In the US I guess it depends on if you know the source of your pork well.

For fish it depends on where it's from. Wild caught fish can contain parasites which can be killed by freezing the fish for a couple of days. Farmed fish can, depending on how it was raised, be trusted to be parasite free. This goes for pretty much all Norwegian farmed salmon these days, for instance. The wasabi won't do anything against the parasites really. Unlike trichinosis, which is loving scary, the parasites in fish will usually just give a healthy individual some short lived stomach problems.

DekeThornton has a new favorite as of 19:56 on May 7, 2014

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

bamhand posted:

Sushi grade fish is flash frozen to kill parasites. I wouldn't trust wasabi to do any kind of meaningful disinfecting.

And pork actually is pretty much trichinosis free these days and the FDA says you only have to cook them to an internal temperature of 145F.

DekeThornton posted:

Pork depends on where you live. What you should worry about is trichinosis. Here in Sweden that doesn't really exist in pork stocks anymore, so raw pork is just as safe to eat as beef really. In the US I guess it depends on if you know the source of your pork well.

For fish it depends on where it's from. Wild caught fish can contain parasites which can be killed by freezing the fish for a couple of Days. Farmed fish can, depending on how it was raised, be trusted to be parasite free. This goes for pretty much all Norwegian farmed Salmon these days, for instance. The wasabi won't do anything against the parasites really. Unlike trichinosis, which is loving scary, the parasites in fish will usually just give a healthy individual some short lived stomach problems.

Dropping food knowledge left and right. Yeah, I heard the wasabi thing and just rolled with it, because I'm a rube.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

DekeThornton posted:

Raw pork is sorta safe if you don't mind a bite of salmonella.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

Boiled Water posted:

Raw pork is sorta safe if you don't mind a bite of salmonella.

Depends on where you live. Here in Sweden pork can be trusted to be salmonella free. Eggs as well, which is nice when you want raw egg yolks for your carbonara or steak tartare.:)

Minarchist
Mar 5, 2009

by WE B Bourgeois
Most pork in the USA is from factory farms with less than ideal cleanliness standards. Unless you're getting some really reliable free-range pork, assume the hogs have been living in squalor while being pumped full of tranquilizers and antibiotics to keep them docile and ambulatory enough to be legally slaughtered.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

deadly_pudding posted:

This. The main reason why (beef, at least) has a reputation for being dangerous when raw/undercooked is because the US has the lowest standards for slaughterhouse and meat cleanliness in pretty much the Western world. You have no way of knowing how much meat and/or poop that grinder touched before it touched absolutely every part of your ground beef unless you cleaned that grinder yourself beforehand.

Solid cuts, on the other hand, are relatively safe. Your slaughterhouse crud will only have touched the outside, really, and refrigeration does wonders for keeping bacteria from spreading all that much. So, you can sear the outside of your meat and be totally fine with a bleeding steak.

(fresh) Beef that you know came from a clean source, though, is totally safe to eat raw.

Wasabi is more of a modern thing meant to mask the fish-taste (I dunno what it's called in English) that comes from fish that're just slightly past the date you should eat them, which is an inevitability these days. If you have really top grade sashimi it's recommended you don't use wasabi at all. It doesn't do anything for bacteria or parasites.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

That raw pork up there is Mett and super common in Germany, if there's any raw pork that's safe it's that one.

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Alright this is the place to ask this question: Has anybody else unknowngly eaten/bit into something with maggots in it and not really cared?

I ate a knockoff Mexican(pineapple) swiss roll and I got halfway through it before the little bugs made themselves apparent. Before I noticed them I thought they were bits of shaved coconut because they tasted and felt like shaved coconut.
I'd do it again but the odds of getting a maggot infested mexiswiss roll are probably lower than I'd hope.

Peppi
May 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Wild raspberries often have worms in them but I rarely bother to check since they don't taste like anything. So, yes.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

Solice Kirsk posted:

I've had Ethiopian food a couple of times and absolutely can't stand it. Its like eating everything out of rolled up paper towels.

Ethiopian food is goddamn delicious, but I can understand some people having an issue with the texture of injera.

amityville anus posted:

Alright this is the place to ask this question: Has anybody else unknowngly eaten/bit into something with maggots in it and not really cared?

I ate a knockoff Mexican(pineapple) swiss roll and I got halfway through it before the little bugs made themselves apparent. Before I noticed them I thought they were bits of shaved coconut because they tasted and felt like shaved coconut.
I'd do it again but the odds of getting a maggot infested mexiswiss roll are probably lower than I'd hope.

Paging Casu Marzu.

I was eating at a hole-in-the-wall noodle shop in Chinatown with my pops one night and dug into a bowl of soup stock my spoon and a whole chicken heart floated to the top. It was kind of like the eyeball soup scene in Temple of Doom. I just shrugged, scooped the heart out onto an empty plate and continued eating.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

Dillbag posted:

I was eating at a hole-in-the-wall noodle shop in Chinatown with my pops one night and dug into a bowl of soup stock my spoon and a whole chicken heart floated to the top. It was kind of like the eyeball soup scene in Temple of Doom. I just shrugged, scooped the heart out onto an empty plate and continued eating.

What is wrong with you. Hearts are delicious.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Dillbag posted:

Ethiopian food is goddamn delicious, but I can understand some people having an issue with the texture of injera.

Paging Casu Marzu.

Chicken hearts are actually really tasty, at least fresh off the grill. Not sure how it would fare texture-wise in soup.

Chicken livers, too. Delicious.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

The Midniter posted:

Chicken hearts are actually really tasty, at least fresh off the grill. Not sure how it would fare texture-wise in soup.

Pretty well. We commonly make soup with the mixed packs of gizzards and heart, egg noodles, whatever random vegetables we have on hand, and chicken stock. They sort of get a little tough from boiling, but they still taste really good.

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
Ask me about fixed-gear bikes (aka "fixies")

Dillbag posted:

You made a serious mistake there, my friend. The heart is the best part of the animal by far. It's meaty like a liver, but it doesn't have that terrible texture.

The worst poo poo I've ever eaten is just durian, and to be honest It's pretty tasty. Almost like a super sweet onion that smells like death.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

The Midniter posted:

Chicken livers, too. Delicious.

I was never able to resist walking past a yatai that sold chicken heart skewers without buying at least two.

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
chicken hearts are fan-loving-tastic try them sometime they make good stroganoff, barbecue, and apparently soup. They're good(and cheap) meat without any cartilage and the blood that's sometimes in them adds iron to help us with activities. I'll stop here I could go on for hours.

Chicken Feet, on the other hand:

I'll eat a turkey neck any day but not once not ever will i touch pickled chicken feet

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

amityville anus posted:

chicken hearts are fan-loving-tastic try them sometime they make good stroganoff, barbecue, and apparently soup. They're good(and cheap) meat without any cartilage and the blood that's sometimes in them adds iron to help us with activities. I'll stop here I could go on for hours.

Are they better then pig hearts? I bought on of those once, sliced it thinly, fried and the cooked in a pot for 4 hours. It was tender and the sauce was fantastic but that distinct aftertaste of iron just wouldn't go away.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
I've never had them pickled but dim-sum Chinese chicken feet is amazing:

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Xoidanor posted:

Are they better then pig hearts? I bought on of those once, sliced it thinly, fried and the cooked in a pot for 4 hours. It was tender and the sauce was fantastic but that distinct aftertaste of iron just wouldn't go away.

I won't go on about how they compare in taste(never had pig heart) but chicken hearts are already bite sized and realistically don't have much prep past putting them in whatever. The most effort to make them edible is applying heat and a toothpick/fork later.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.

amityville anus posted:

Well yeah, seems you already did! :v: From 2 pages ago:

amityville anus posted:

i ate the better half of a mexcan knockoff swiss roll that was infested with maggots. It was pineapple flavor to begin with and the maggots felt and tasted like shaved coconut. They were wriggling in my mouth and it felt like eating a carbonated pina colada. I would have finished it if one of the maggots hadn't crawled out onto the arm of my couch.

amityville anus posted:

Chicken Feet, on the other hand:

I'll eat a turkey neck any day but not once not ever will i touch pickled chicken feet

You're missing out, I make a mean pickled chicken feet. They're salty and delicious and goes great with tequila or Chinese grain liquor.

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I've never had them pickled but dim-sum Chinese chicken feet is amazing:

They're different textures. Dim sum style is tender, pickled is kind of like eating gelatin with a bit more firmness to it? Try it!

Geektox has a new favorite as of 22:56 on May 7, 2014

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
Ask me about fixed-gear bikes (aka "fixies")
The first time I had chicken feet they were absurdly spicy and garlicky, it was divine. The second time they were stringy and gross and tasted like fruity pebbles. I'm really wary of trying them in restaurants now which is a shame because good goddamn were they good the first time. I get why some people would be completely put off from chicken feet if their first encounter went horribly awry like my second try.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

amityville anus posted:

We serve chicken heart,liver and the gizzard in chicken soups in my country. Those are actually very,very delicious parts and don't taste wrong at all.

(Also the legs and head. Those are the out of a horror movie parts that I don't like to eat)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Minarchist posted:

Most pork in the USA is from factory farms with less than ideal cleanliness standards. Unless you're getting some really reliable free-range pork[...]
That's more or less completely backwards. Pork from commercial farms has a substantially lower measured incidence of various foodborne pathogens than free range sources.

I mean you can object to the commercial pork farms on ethical grounds, because of their environmental impact, potential consequences of widespread use of antibiotics, because the big companies that run them are just shitheads, or whatever. But food safety is really not a valid argument.

I'd love to see any data to the contrary, though.

• Locked thread