Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

scary ghost dog posted:

I'd say Carrie is still his most accessible book.

I've tried reading it several times and just can't get through it. I do have it in that snazzy Barnes and Noble collection that also contains Salem's Lot and The Shining.

This one:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Jazerus posted:

Cell is like most of his work but worse. You might like The Long Walk, The Stand, and The Mist if you enjoyed Cell.

I love The Long Walk. I just bought it for a friend who is somewhat skeptical of Stephen King... hopefully she enjoys it.

So, I tried watching those Salem's Lot miniseries... I didn't make it through the 2004 one. Despite the cast, it just felt way off. I enjoyed the 1979 one, though! The vampires were pretty cheesy-looking, but I liked it aside from that.

Now I'm 400 pages into The Stand, really enjoying it so far! (And I'm looking forward to checking out its miniseries once I'm done reading it!)

And as for Cell... I liked it, I don't know why it gets such a bad rap... but it was probably only the third or fourth Stephen King book that I read. I agree that it did get kind of aimless in the second half, though.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

VagueRant posted:

The first page of this thread made me think that Cell - the only Stephen King book I've ever read - might not have been the best example of his work. I was surprised. I thought it was okay except for the non-ending and a few parts that dragged. It at least got an emotional reaction out of me at the random death of one character.

That said, I have recently started The Gunslinger and I have had about 40 pages of not knowing what the hell is going on at any point. It's somewhat irksome.

Yeah you basically picked a pretty bad King book and then followed it up with a good one, but that good one kicks off a series that is 7 8 books long and gives you much better payoff if you're familiar with some of his other stuff before diving into it. Listen to everyone in this thread and try something like The Stand or Salem's Lot or Carrie or whatever.

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002
There are vampires in Salem's Lot?!?

DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

it was a normally happy sunny day... but Dirty Robot was dirty

VagueRant posted:

The first page of this thread made me think that Cell - the only Stephen King book I've ever read - might not have been the best example of his work. I was surprised. I thought it was okay except for the non-ending and a few parts that dragged. It at least got an emotional reaction out of me at the random death of one character.

That said, I have recently started The Gunslinger and I have had about 40 pages of not knowing what the hell is going on at any point. It's somewhat irksome.

The Gunslinger is also a bit weird and atypical. Like it is such a simple story yet it is bizarrely hard to follow at points. The novels that come after it in the Dark Tower series are way way better. I'll even go against the grain and say, on the level of re-reading, I enjoy the last few books of the series more than I do the very first one.

That aside, if you want King at his best and Kingliest, go for Salem's Lot, The Shining, Pet Sematary, or any of his older short story collections. Those to me exemplify pure King. Maybe add in IT and The Stand, but their size isn't so good for someone trying to get into King. They're better once you're well and truly hooked.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Gunslinger's easier to follow when you realize it was itself hastily slapped together out of 5 distinct and somewhat related short stories that had been written over a period of like 7 years and published over a period of 3 years.

The revised Gunslinger actually does a lot to change from a quick fix-up of a frame story to the 5 separate stories into a more coherent novel.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I'm reading Desperation as my easy novel as I bounce back and forth from David Foster Wallace's The Pale King and Don DeLillo's Underworld, but by page 80 I'm a little bored of it. Maybe I'm just spoiled by Wallace and DeLillo's power of writing, but I usually love Stephen King.

What is the general consensus on Desperation? None of the characters seem to have that innate Stephen King factor that makes me care about them. At least, not yet.

I got it for a dollar at a huge Half-Price Books event, so I don't really mind just dropping the book, especially since I got Salem's Lot at the same time, and I've never read that one.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
'Salem's Lot is nothing BUT King's innate characterization and world-building.

Also, I still stand by the idea that the best first King book is Misery or The Long Walk. Especially Misery: amazing villain, sympathetic character, very violent, very suspenseful, some comedy moments, and awesome setup. King admits to being a scenario writer. He comes up with a scenario and runs with it until he gets bored and it just ends. Misery is that, but it satisfying.

Same with The Long Walk.

rypakal
Oct 31, 2012

He also cooks the food of his people

Franchescanado posted:

'Salem's Lot is nothing BUT King's innate characterization and world-building.

Also, I still stand by the idea that the best first King book is Misery or The Long Walk. Especially Misery: amazing villain, sympathetic character, very violent, very suspenseful, some comedy moments, and awesome setup. King admits to being a scenario writer. He comes up with a scenario and runs with it until he gets bored and it just ends. Misery is that, but it satisfying.

Same with The Long Walk.

Also great choices for people who dislike supernatural stories.

Edwardian
May 4, 2010

"Can we have a bit of decorum on this forum?"
I made the mistake of re-reading Gerald's Game while I was sitting with my dad in the hospital. They had a copy, and I was bored.

gently caress that book, so hard.

I forgot how tacked on the ending seemed, with the cannibalistic, necrophiliac, weird dude at the end

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

The Running Man for a non-supernatural story, Pet Sematary for a supernatural one.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

blue squares posted:

I'm reading Desperation as my easy novel as I bounce back and forth from David Foster Wallace's The Pale King and Don DeLillo's Underworld, but by page 80 I'm a little bored of it. Maybe I'm just spoiled by Wallace and DeLillo's power of writing, but I usually love Stephen King.

What is the general consensus on Desperation? None of the characters seem to have that innate Stephen King factor that makes me care about them. At least, not yet.

I much preferred The Regulators to Desperation, but I think I fall firmly in the minority on that opinion.

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

The second-generation Pontiac Sunbird, introduced by the automaker for the 1982 model year as the J2000, was built to be an inexpensive and fuel-efficient front-wheel-drive commuter car capable of seating five.

Offensive Clock
I think both of them are middling SK books that don't really offer up anything you can't get from some of his other, better writings.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I think I'll just shelf Desperation. I have far too many books on my list to read a 700 page novel that's not amazing. Salems lot it is for my change of pace book from the serious novels I read

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I'm no fan of regulators but its still interesting to read them back to back or even concurrently to pick up the parallels.

regulators has a cool opening chapter or so at least.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
I have a coworker who suddenly decided to get into King. He started with The Gunslinger. I put a stop to that right away. I can't even remember all the King novels he's made it through since that first book a couple years ago; but I am proud to say that I immediately steered him to Salem's Lot and The Shining. I just told him, you basically need to read all the earlier books before you go through The Dark Tower.
He actually listened, and he's read a TON of great King (although he ignored my warnings to avoid Dreamcatcher and he's just gotten to the part of Gerald's Game that made him want to put the book down, and you know which part I mean) but for the most part he's been well-served by my guidance.
I'm gonna take him through ALL the old stuff but he's set on Tommyknockers next, and I'm ok with that.

The guy just doesn't have a good thread like this one to steer him, so I'm doing my best for him. He's read so much King at this point I'm forgetting what he hasn't read, but I have to tell you, Constant Goon, that the number of times he's called me in a freakout because of a scene in one of the books I recommended warms the evil cockles of my O. Henry heart.

Since he decided to read Dreamcatcher against my advice, I do call him Shitweasel or Magic Retard sometimes. He gets it.

I'm going for Dead Zone, Carrie, Cujo and Christine once he finishes Tommyknockers, and we'll see where it goes from there. At some point, after The Talisman and Black House, I'll tell him he's ready to follow the ka-tet.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Dr. Faustus posted:

I have a coworker who suddenly decided to get into King. He started with The Gunslinger. I put a stop to that right away. I can't even remember all the King novels he's made it through since that first book a couple years ago; but I am proud to say that I immediately steered him to Salem's Lot and The Shining. I just told him, you basically need to read all the earlier books before you go through The Dark Tower.
He actually listened, and he's read a TON of great King (although he ignored my warnings to avoid Dreamcatcher and he's just gotten to the part of Gerald's Game that made him want to put the book down, and you know which part I mean) but for the most part he's been well-served by my guidance.
I'm gonna take him through ALL the old stuff but he's set on Tommyknockers next, and I'm ok with that.

The guy just doesn't have a good thread like this one to steer him, so I'm doing my best for him. He's read so much King at this point I'm forgetting what he hasn't read, but I have to tell you, Constant Goon, that the number of times he's called me in a freakout because of a scene in one of the books I recommended warms the evil cockles of my O. Henry heart.

Since he decided to read Dreamcatcher against my advice, I do call him Shitweasel or Magic Retard sometimes. He gets it.

I'm going for Dead Zone, Carrie, Cujo and Christine once he finishes Tommyknockers, and we'll see where it goes from there. At some point, after The Talisman and Black House, I'll tell him he's ready to follow the ka-tet.

These have practically nothing to do with The Dark Tower, yet Dreamcatcher has a major role in it. I hope you've had him read Hearts in Atlantis and Insomnia if your true intention is to prepare him for The Dark Tower.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Kingnothing posted:

These have practically nothing to do with The Dark Tower, yet Dreamcatcher has a major role in it. I hope you've had him read Hearts in Atlantis and Insomnia if your true intention is to prepare him for The Dark Tower.
Don't worry, they're on the list.

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

oldpainless posted:

I'm no fan of regulators but its still interesting to read them back to back or even concurrently to pick up the parallels.

regulators has a cool opening chapter or so at least.

That is the way to read them if you are going to read them at all. "The Regulators, at least it's not Gerald's Game."

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

The second-generation Pontiac Sunbird, introduced by the automaker for the 1982 model year as the J2000, was built to be an inexpensive and fuel-efficient front-wheel-drive commuter car capable of seating five.

Offensive Clock
I think the easier way to get into King/prep for The Dark Tower is to read a short, easy reading, not too SK quirk filled (Bachman books are good for this) and quickly interest grabbing book with a great back-of-the-book hook like The Long Walk, then just go straight into The Stand. Then you can read Dark Tower if you want.

At least, I would tell someone that if they aren't instantly scared of a 1000+ page book. If they are light readers in general then I probably would be wary of recommending The Stand that soon. Maybe throw in The Shining or something like that between the two in that case. Get em warmed up with a middle sized book before The Stand. I really want to say Salem's Lot instead of The Shining, especially for a Dark Tower prep situation, but I didn't love it so I am personally reluctant to recommend it to a King newbie. And regarding Salem Lot's connection (Salem's Lot/DT5+ spoilers)While Father Callahan is probably the single largest character/plot connection from another SK book besides Randall Flagg, you are directly told everything you need to know regarding him in Wolves of the Calla, including the the fact that he is literally a character from another SK book .

But honestly, The Stand is so good that if you don't like it regardless of your reading preferences I don't want to know you! It's really the best book to prep for The Dark Tower with as well, since one, it has the direct connection to Wizard and Glass, which while not being all the important is a cool surprise connection that enriches the lore and mechanics of Roland's Mid-World. And two, there is enough Randall Flagg stuff in there that you really get to know the main(ish) bad guy from The Dark Tower before you even begin. Getting to know Randall Flagg is, in my opinion, the most important thing to do before you read The Dark Tower. Also, The Stand really preps you to get used to SK's style and quirks, so when you get to the last few Dark Tower books, you are ready for him going up his rear end hardcore.

Forgot Hearts in Atlantis. Yeah, maybe read "Low Men in Yellow Coats" before The Dark Tower as well, since it is short and has a huge crossover. As far as Insomnia, while I personally enjoyed it more than most, I don't think it's strong enough nor is the connection THAT important enough to have someone slog through it before The Dark Tower. I mean, yeah (Dark Tower book 7 spoiler) Patrick Danville basically kills the Crimson King, but you don't really need to know him from Insomnia really. Just know he came from another SK world and that's enough). The Talisman/Black House certainly don't need to be read before, either. Any connections they have can be enjoyed after the fact just as well. Black House spoilers all the breakers stuff in Black House is a pretty big connection, again, nothing I would make someone read 1200 pages of a 2 book series to know before The Dark Tower.

Anyway, now that I've shut up about it, what's everyone's favorite Dark Tower book? Mine's The Drawing of the Three. That book rocked my world the first time I read it. I love it.

Damo fucked around with this message at 11:33 on May 9, 2014

The Time Dissolver
Nov 7, 2012

Are you a good person?
I like The Regulators if only for its exceptional weirdness. Insomnia and From A Buick 8 for the same reasons. The tropes they use aren't totally unheard of but they're kind of square pegs as far as genre goes.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

scary ghost dog posted:

I'd say Carrie is still his most accessible book.

Carrie is one of the only King books I've ever regretted reading. It's by far one of his most viscerally disgusting novels and also not a very good sample of his style. Definitely not recommended as somebody's first King.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Ralph Roberts is my favorite King protagonist because he's not a writer, a teacher, a sheriff, or an artist, and has no innate magic powers or hideous dark secrets.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Damo posted:

Anyway, now that I've shut up about it, what's everyone's favorite Dark Tower book? Mine's The Drawing of the Three. That book rocked my world the first time I read it. I love it.

Same here, but I've always been a sucker for alternate universes. What happens to Jake is a loving nightmare.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Its a tie between The Wastelands and

Wizard and Glass :getin:

Pheeets
Sep 17, 2004

Are ya gonna come quietly, or am I gonna have to muss ya up?

cheerfullydrab posted:

Ralph Roberts is my favorite King protagonist because he's not a writer, a teacher, a sheriff, or an artist, and has no innate magic powers or hideous dark secrets.

I totally agree. I just finished re-reading Insomnia as a sort of palate-cleanser for some other books, and I really enjoyed hanging out with old Ralphie again.

Speaking of Insomnia, there's not just the Patrick Danville Dark Tower link, it also discourses quite a bit on the levels of existence and the Tower as well as several good references to a few people in Derry that we've met elsewhere.

Regarding Dr. Faustus's friend, what's your opinion about having him read "The Wind Through The Keyhole"? I thinks it's kind of a shame to make someone wait until its "proper" time (between books 4 and 5 I think?) In my opinion, it would be kind of neat to read it before the Gunslinger, because it introduces you to all the characters, gives some background that you don't get in the Dark Tower series, and has a beautiful unrelated fantasy story that's one of the best King's ever written. I think it would be a good way to start off a virgin Kingophile.

Pheeets fucked around with this message at 06:03 on May 10, 2014

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

Offensive Clock
I've been hearing a lot of people saying the descriptions of the Dark Tower "level" mechanics given in Insomnia has been all but disowned by now. I don't really know if it's true or not, maybe someone more knowledgeable can clear it up. Has it been retroactively contradicted somewhere, as I have heard some suggest?

MyLightyear
Jul 2, 2006
A blindness that touches perfection,
But hurts just like anything else.

oldpainless posted:

Its a tie between The Wastelands and
Wizard and Glass :getin:

The Wastelands is my favourite. I remember the first time I read it when they brought <redacted> back to Mid world I actually put the book down when it was said and done and said to my girlfriend that this might be one of the coolest books I have ever read.

Man that book rules.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Yeah, I love the Wastelands. Shardik, Blaine, the Tick-Tock Man ranting about Not-Sees, and the God Drums, man. Lud is a totally crazy place and the closest King comes to replicating that feel of utter surreality was Calla Cryn Sturgis, which was way less subtle about it.

Joose Caboose
Apr 17, 2013

MyLightyear posted:

The Wastelands is my favourite. I remember the first time I read it when they brought <redacted> back to Mid world I actually put the book down when it was said and done and said to my girlfriend that this might be one of the coolest books I have ever read.

Man that book rules.

Yeah I got to agree with that statement - probably one of the coolest books I have ever read.

Pheeets
Sep 17, 2004

Are ya gonna come quietly, or am I gonna have to muss ya up?

Damo posted:

I've been hearing a lot of people saying the descriptions of the Dark Tower "level" mechanics given in Insomnia has been all but disowned by now. I don't really know if it's true or not, maybe someone more knowledgeable can clear it up. Has it been retroactively contradicted somewhere, as I have heard some suggest?

I think it hasn't been contradicted, it's more like it hasn't been expanded on much in subsequent books. The "levels" have always been more or less hinted at but never fully explained.

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

I finally read The Stand and I enjoyed the book, but I hate the ending and Nadine. She could have been removed from the story and it would have played out the same way.

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014
Something is wrong with you if you read The Stand and your main complaint isn't Fran Goldsmith.

rypakal
Oct 31, 2012

Disgusting Coward posted:

Something is wrong with you if you read The Stand and your main complaint isn't Fran Goldsmith.

Don't judge, maybe he likes his women to be useless dishrags

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

cheerfullydrab posted:

I read the Langoliers again recently. I can't figure out who the protagonist is. It kind of seems like Brian but then he takes a backseat and it seems to jump between Nick and Albert. Also none of them are any of those things.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

I feel like The Long Walk is the best Stephen King book. I have re-read it more than any of his other books, and even though I love the majority of them (gently caress you Christine, gently caress you so goddamn much), none of them compare. It's just so brutal.

Also I really like The Gunslinger, mostly just because of it's odd pacing and of course the best opening sentence in any book ever.

SSJ_naruto_2003 fucked around with this message at 15:12 on May 11, 2014

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

You know, I was convinced up until just now that the blind girl in the Langoliers was played by Sabrina Lloyd, but apparently not. I had totally forgotten Dean Stockwell was in it, but I remembered David Morse and Balki.

Edwardian
May 4, 2010

"Can we have a bit of decorum on this forum?"

Disgusting Coward posted:

Thank you, men.

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

Fran didn't bother me. But a lot of time was spent building Nadine to be this mythical demon mother, then she just says gently caress it (as if she couldn't have done this earlier when it would have had better results for everyone involved).

It just didn't seem consistent with her character. But what does it matter when the hand of deus ex machina comes down and kills some innocent bros for no reason. And it was ultimately no reason because no one survived the event to be able to tell anyone what actually happpened. I think that is the worst part. No one really knows what happened, and if they did it would have an obvious effect on the survivors going forward with their lives.

In the end, I think Stu is the only one who comes out of everything still being a true believer. Everyone else goes back to the 'old ways' which is somewhat indicated by the ending chapters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rypakal
Oct 31, 2012

Sylink posted:

Fran didn't bother me. But a lot of time was spent building Nadine to be this mythical demon mother, then she just says gently caress it (as if she couldn't have done this earlier when it would have had better results for everyone involved).

It just didn't seem consistent with her character. But what does it matter when the hand of deus ex machina comes down and kills some innocent bros for no reason. And it was ultimately no reason because no one survived the event to be able to tell anyone what actually happpened. I think that is the worst part. No one really knows what happened, and if they did it would have an obvious effect on the survivors going forward with their lives.

In the end, I think Stu is the only one who comes out of everything still being a true believer. Everyone else goes back to the 'old ways' which is somewhat indicated by the ending chapters.

It's almost like the four major women in that story are props or tools. Dayna has the closest thing to real agency and she still just uses her body to get most of what she needs. Do Frannie, Lucy, or Nadine or Abigail do anything at all in the story other than advise and consent? I'd say even that much is a stretch. Oh, and have the babies, of course.

The stand is the story of how God helped four men save a broken world from the devil, and hey I guess there are some ladies too.