Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Rarity posted:

I feel like I'm the only person on the planet who hates Spongebob. That show was goddam awful.

I've never seen it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Rarity posted:

I feel like I'm the only person on the planet who hates Spongebob. That show was goddam awful.

Is goddamn awful. I'm pretty sure they still make new episodes.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Spongebob was good once. That was ten years ago. Even as a child I recognized how lovely it got.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

MrAristocrates posted:

Adventure Time is good but the fanbase has a tendency to read too much into stuff and act like it's way deeper than it is. Not quite as bad as MLP in that regard, though.

Case in point.

The loving New Yorker posted:

“Adventure Time” is one of the most philosophically risky and, often, emotionally affecting shows on TV.

http://www.newyorker.com/arts/critics/television/2014/04/21/140421crte_television_nussbaum?currentPage=all

Maybe I'm a bit cruel just cutting that line, but the whole article made my right eyebrow incrementally rise. Checked out a couple episodes of the show on netflix, which is easy to do since they're 11 minutes each. Nice enough, and I'm sure I would have gone crazy about it when I was 11 or so. I'd be still interested in seeing a bit of the latter seasons sometime just to compare and contrast, if it ever pops up on Netflix.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The New Yorker does that all the time. They have a bunch of terrible articles about Homeland. Calling it the anti-24 (when it's just as lovely) and a big defense of the mopey daughter character.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Shageletic posted:

Case in point.

http://www.newyorker.com/arts/critics/television/2014/04/21/140421crte_television_nussbaum?currentPage=all

Maybe I'm a bit cruel just cutting that line, but the whole article made my right eyebrow incrementally rise. Checked out a couple episodes of the show on netflix, which is easy to do since they're 11 minutes each. Nice enough, and I'm sure I would have gone crazy about it when I was 11 or so. I'd be still interested in seeing a bit of the latter seasons sometime just to compare and contrast, if it ever pops up on Netflix.

Adventure Time has its moments of that kind of thing (that internet manchildren trip over each other to overanalyze the most, of course), but nothing it does comes anywhere close in terms of philosophical / social commentary to what Jim Henson did with puppets 30+ years ago.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

http://www.deadline.com/2014/05/nbc-picks-up-comedy-marry-me-to-series/

NBC ordered a drama starring Katherine Heigl who plays a CIA threat analyst for the president played by Alfre Woodard. I give it 6 episodes before cancellation.

Also this, which totally isn't a ripoff of The Americans: "Allegiance centers on Alex O’Connor, a young idealistic CIA analyst specializing in Russian affairs, who learns a shocking secret and his close-knit, affluent family is about to be split apart when its revealed that his parents, Mark (Scott Cohen) and Katya (Hope Davis) are covert Russian spies deactivated decades ago. But today the Kremlin has re-enlisted them into service as they plan a terrorist operation inside the U.S. border that will bring America to its knees."

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!
Just watched the first episode of the British House of Cards last night and it owns. I'm interested to see how closely the American version stuck to it.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Josh Lyman posted:

NBC ordered a drama starring Katherine Heigl who plays a CIA threat analyst for the president played by Alfre Woodard. I give it 6 episodes before cancellation.

It's not often a single persons involvement in a show will completely put me off, but I cannot stand Heigl and I hope they cancel it during the first intermission.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

EL BROMANCE posted:

It's not often a single persons involvement in a show will completely put me off, but I cannot stand Heigl and I hope they cancel it during the first intermission.
Unless she turned over a new leaf recently, I doubt anyone on the production side of things could even stand Heigl from what little I've read and heard about her.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

E: Is Adventure Time good or is it like MLP? (or both?)

Both are good shows in different ways with fanbases that are insane weirdos in different ways.

See also: Avatar (but not Korra).

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Rarity posted:

My point was not in support of spongebob but to berate all three. Spongebob was flawed from the beginning as it featured a money mongering mogul (Mr. Krabs) who didn't even bother to take advantage of Spongebob's asexuality to produce a second frycook and thus maximize efficiency. Even more infuriating was his choice to not do this after building a second restaurant right next to the old one.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
^^^Look, not that I want to defend Spongbob loving Squarepants, but THAT'S what you're going with? Of all the things you could complain about -- not being funny, tired situational comedy, sending a poor message to children -- you draw the line there?

Sober posted:

Unless she turned over a new leaf recently, I doubt anyone on the production side of things could even stand Heigl from what little I've read and heard about her.

Joe Carnahan (who directed the pilot) has built a strong reputation as a straight shooter, and he seemed to like Heigl just fine. Then again, his exact words were "she's a movie star in a TV role," so draw your own conclusions.

DivisionPost fucked around with this message at 18:11 on May 7, 2014

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

DivisionPost posted:

Joe Carnahan (who directed the pilot) has built a strong reputation as a straight shooter, and he seemed to like Heigl just fine.

Haha there was either a thread here or in Punchsport Pagoda that said "if you ever hear someone written about as a 'straight shooter', that just means they're an rear end in a top hat". Maybe that's why they get on! ;)

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Josh Lyman posted:

Also this, which totally isn't a ripoff of The Americans: "Allegiance centers on Alex O’Connor, a young idealistic CIA analyst specializing in Russian affairs, who learns a shocking secret and his close-knit, affluent family is about to be split apart when its revealed that his parents, Mark (Scott Cohen) and Katya (Hope Davis) are covert Russian spies deactivated decades ago. But today the Kremlin has re-enlisted them into service as they plan a terrorist operation inside the U.S. border that will bring America to its knees."

Natasha? No that won't do, they'll know you're Russian right away. We'll call you Katya.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Aphrodite posted:

Natasha? No that won't do, they'll know you're Russian right away. We'll call you Katya.
Yeah at least the Russians in the Americans decided to give them names like Phillip and Elizabeth, the most English rear end names you could think of.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Josh Lyman posted:

quote:

Aside from the political minefields she has to walk, Charlie has a close personal relationship with the president (Alfre Woodard) because she once was engaged to her son before a terrorist attack took his life. Charlie survived that attack and now is determined to bring the perpetrators to justice.

:barf:

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
That sounds like dreadful.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I don't think the CIA would let an agent date the president's son.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
It sounds like someone watched the Americans and then suffered a severe head injury. It explains everything. Including Heigl.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

It sounds like someone watched the Americans and then suffered a severe head injury. It explains everything. Including Heigl.

My Mother the Tsar and Katherine Heigl: CIA Agent are 2 different shows actually.

So 2 people watched the Americans and suffered head injuries.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Game: take that byline (for reference:

quote:

Aside from the political minefields she has to walk, Charlie has a close personal relationship with the president (Alfre Woodard) because she once was engaged to her son before a terrorist attack took his life. Charlie survived that attack and now is determined to bring the perpetrators to justice.

), then attempt to give it the name of a Katherine Heigl romcom she'd star in in 2008

All the President's Woman

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Also that Katherine Heigl thing is very clearly supposed to be a Homeland knockoff, that Allegiance thing is The Americans copy

Although I don't get why they're ripping off a mediocrely-rated FX show that has almost zero culture penetration. Ripping off Homeland makes sense, this time last year (when NBC would've started the preliminary exploration into making this show) Homeland was THE show of the season, and I think even now Homeland is Showtime's ratings leader. Ripping off The Americans in contrast is just nonsensical, almost nobody is aware of it

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Occupation posted:

Game: take that byline (for reference:

), then attempt to give it the name of a Katherine Heigl romcom she'd star in in 2008

All the President's Woman

27 Amendments

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Aphrodite posted:

I don't think the CIA would let an agent date the president's son.
I would assume it was before he became president.

But still.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

MrAristocrates posted:

Spongebob was good once. That was ten years ago. Even as a child I recognized how lovely it got.
Yeah I think the cutoff point was the movie where the episodes after it were goddamn terrible. God that was like 10 years ago too wasn't it :negative:

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Rarity posted:

27 Amendments

CommandHer in Briefs

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

She I.A.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Occupation posted:

Also that Katherine Heigl thing is very clearly supposed to be a Homeland knockoff, that Allegiance thing is The Americans copy

Although I don't get why they're ripping off a mediocrely-rated FX show that has almost zero culture penetration.

Hahaha gently caress off Occ.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

achillesforever6 posted:

Yeah I think the cutoff point was the movie where the episodes after it were goddamn terrible. God that was like 10 years ago too wasn't it :negative:

As much as I poo poo on cartoon watchers in this forum*, I will admit that the first three seasons of Spongebob are actually very good. The whole show has this beautiful watercolor aesthetic, the music and the jokes have an old timey Merry Melodies-esque bent, and all the characters are well-defined without being simplistic. Most of the series is available on Amazon Prime and I'd definitely recommend anyone who appreciates classic cartoons to check it out.

*deservedly. You shouldn't be watching cartoons like Ninja Turtles, MLP and Gravity Falls in your 20s & 30s.

Irish Joe fucked around with this message at 21:03 on May 7, 2014

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

IRQ posted:

Hahaha gently caress off Occ.

Dude The Americans is my favorite FX show and favorite show currently airing

It's a super not popular show though, like...at all

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Josh Lyman posted:

Maybe they decided that Cuse's name could draw in Lost fans since Pacific Rim didn't do well domestically?

Or maybe because Bates Motel has been a success?

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Occupation posted:

It's a super not popular show though, like...at all

Which is a shame, because the wig game on The Americans is strong as hell. People love silly wigs and spycraft.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Today in bad messaging

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Occupation posted:

Today in bad messaging

We can only hope it's as bad as last year.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Irish Joe posted:

*deservedly. You shouldn't be watching cartoons like Ninja Turtles, MLP and Gravity Falls in your 20s & 30s.

Hey man, when I visited my brother over Christmas break his kids were constantly watching the new Ninja Turtles series. That show is seriously funny and I could totally see myself watching it, kids around or not.

MLP, yeah, gently caress that poo poo, and I have no idea what Gravity Falls even is, but don't hate on the Turtles.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
We now have to suffer through another two decades of NBC crapping all over the Olympics. Or slapping their crap all over it. Or just not letting me stream it live from my preferred device without a cable subscription.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/05/08/sports/olympics/nbc-extends-olympic-tv-deal-through-2032.html

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

raditts posted:

I had no idea that Millionaire was still on, let alone that Cedric the loving Entertainer was hosting it.
Terry Crews is on actual TV shows and stuff, it seems like hosting an afternoon garbage-time game show would be a step down for him.

I guess Disney made him an offer he liked. But I wouldn't think this would be a step down for him, just a gig closer to home.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Also game show hosting is the easiest gig in the loving world, you spend like four to six hours once a week for like half the year at most

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

Thwomp posted:

We now have to suffer through another two decades of NBC crapping all over the Olympics. Or slapping their crap all over it. Or just not letting me stream it live from my preferred device without a cable subscription.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/05/08/sports/olympics/nbc-extends-olympic-tv-deal-through-2032.html

That's too bad. During the London games I used a proxy to watch Canadian streams and was amazed at how much better their coverage was. During the recent winter games I tried to watch some of the events using NBCs iOS app and could never get it working even though I'm a comcast subscriber.

• Locked thread