Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Uh, he posted the exact same gif from a better angle like 5 posts up man.

I think the whole thing is loving hilarious, I hope more ridiculous poo poo gets slapped onto the cars, it's not like the sport has much credibility left anyway.

Remember when Toyota made cool stuff?

Terrible Robot fucked around with this message at 22:43 on May 6, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

Jr. can make all excuses he wants about his driving to the media, but no words can make him forget the shame from the judging eyes of doge.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Terrible Robot posted:

I think the whole thing is loving hilarious, I hope more ridiculous poo poo gets slapped onto the cars, it's not like the sport has much credibility left anyway.
The best part of the doge car is seeing buttcoiners get their knickers in a twist over it.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

13 INCH DICK posted:

What a world we live in.

Wait, that thing ran in a full Sprint Cup race?

I thought it was like a NASCAR West or whatever the B league circuits are car.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
The original phototaker gets royalties, right?

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Shrapnig posted:

Wait, that thing ran in a full Sprint Cup race?

I thought it was like a NASCAR West or whatever the B league circuits are car.

Oh wow, I though it was a Nationwide Series car (one step below Sprint Cup), but yeah, it's the Cup.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

InitialDave posted:

Oh, alright, I'll do it:

I loving lost it at 'initial doge'. I love it.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
One of my favourite cars is the TVR Cerbera Speed 12:

It's a TVR turned up to 11 (almost a 1000 HP with zero aids etc) - check out this vid (good stuff starts at about a minute in) - it looks like it is brutalizing the driver, and that engine sound :allears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ikeyrh9E91w

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3fDBM1653I

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

I think the TVR Cerbera Speed 12 would beat the Viper in the "car most likely to want you dead".

Runners up can be the Porsche 930 Turbo and that twin supercharged AC Cobra that Shelby wanted to sell to Bill Cosby

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

You Am I posted:

I think the TVR Cerbera Speed 12 would beat the Viper in the "car most likely to want you dead".

Runners up can be the Porsche 930 Turbo and that twin supercharged AC Cobra that Shelby wanted to sell to Bill Cosby

Yeah, agreed, the thing is with TVR is that until their last car they didn't even pretend to make anything other than bombs on wheels that will probably explode or kill you in a ditch going 200 mph upside down. I loved them for that.

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...

peter gabriel posted:

One of my favourite cars is the TVR Cerbera Speed 12:

It's a TVR turned up to 11 (almost a 1000 HP with zero aids etc) - check out this vid (good stuff starts at about a minute in) - it looks like it is brutalizing the driver, and that engine sound :allears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ikeyrh9E91w

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3fDBM1653I

That looks like if Steve Saleen got to design the new Viper

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

neckbeard posted:

That looks like if Steve Saleen got to design the new Viper

That's a really good description actually :)

Bose Active Suspension is pretty awesome (in theory at least):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8sVDenpPOE

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

peter gabriel posted:

Continuing the Bose tradition of no highs and no lows :haw:

bitchtard
Dec 3, 2010

peter gabriel posted:

I've been waiting for someone to make use of this since learning about it in high school.

I assume it's just too power hungry

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Panty Saluter posted:

Continuing the Bose tradition of no highs and no lows :haw:

:thurman:

I assume it's because Bose probably wanted to charge way too much for the licensing and all the manufacturers that wanted active suspension went and designed their own system.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
That demo is old as hell but I was pretty sure I read somewhere about it finally being applied to a production car.

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW

peter gabriel posted:

I actually did extensive research on active suspension. Turns out it is horribly inefficient in the form the Bose system uses it. There is a tremendous amount of electricity needed to elevate and lower the car. Any gains in performance you'd see in the horsepower loss to the wheels driving the alternator for that thing. Basically it can only be used as a ridiculous comfort luxury. The way Audi does it is much more sensible and uses technology to decrease the amount of power needed to operate the system. They experimented with a ferro-fluid filled shock that resisted more when a current was applied to it. While this isn't active in the way Bose's system is, Audi's system could be used in a performance setting. The last option, which is hydraulic, is more sensible than the previous two simply because it uses less energy than Bose's magnetic system and is active unlike Audi's. Simply, it shifts hydraulic fluid to each shock as the suspension needed to be stiffened or pulls it out to loosen. In cornering, this can replace the anti-roll bar. However the dangerous tradeoff is that if it fails mid corning, you lose control of the car. Just ask Alessandro Zanardi.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

hahhaah

blk
Dec 19, 2009

Old Bosnian man with an oak beetle. It could be made out of anything, seeing how pleased he is with it makes it.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
The hat is the part that makes this work.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
I don't know that this is incredibly AI but we used to use this thread as a pic dump when the cell phone pics thread got shut down, so does anyone know what model Toyota I saw on the way to work?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I think it's a Corona:
http://www.cargurus.com/Cars/1968-Toyota-Corona-Pictures-c14479_pi21758635

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
Looks like a Corona to me.

edit: drat your timing...

Q_res fucked around with this message at 08:33 on May 7, 2014

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

I'm generally not a fan of Beetles but this one has changed my mind, it's stunning.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

You Am I posted:

He gave it to Cosby, and Cosby gave it back. Then it was sold at a regular dealership, and the buyer drove it off a cliff into the goddamn Pacific Ocean. The "regular" 427 Cobra has a reputation for constantly trying its best to murder you, the dual-supercharged, dual-horsepower Super Snake is the car equivalent of Warhammer 40k's Chaos marines. 900hp, weighs just over a ton, and has lovely '60s suspension and tires.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-JQksYxgM0

"I was idling. The car had not moved. I had not put my foot on the gas pedal. And it was killing people."

Remember, Shelby modified this thing that came with a 120hp I6 tractor motor, and it was probably terrifying to drive even in stock form:

Chillbro Baggins fucked around with this message at 13:43 on May 7, 2014

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Delivery McGee posted:

The "regular" 427 Cobra has a reputation for constantly trying its best to murder you, the dual-supercharged, dual-horsepower Super Snake is the car equivalent of Warhammer 40k's Chaos marines. 900hp, weighs just over a ton, and has lovely '60s suspension and tires.

It's hard to overstate how bad 1960s tires were compared to now. Imagine a Viper on Corolla tires or something.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Delivery McGee posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-JQksYxgM0

"I was idling. The car had not moved. I had not put my foot on the gas pedal. And it was killing people."

Literally my favorite Cosby standup. "Whatchoo doin' drivin' them ferr'n kars?" :clint:

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
I found a thing. And I want it.

http://toledo.craigslist.org/cto/4402480883.html

quote:

I will accept partial trades: 18000 obo car needs a new half shafts because I shredded the stock one last summer. I will buy the part and replace it if your coming with cash to test drive.
Drive Train : 2005 Dodge Neon SRT-4 12,000 miles 2.4 L TURBO 16 valve twin cam, Built Trans, Stage 3 Single Disk Clutch, DSP 93 octane tune (comes with married DSP)
Frame : Tube chassis professionally engineered and fabricated
Susupension: Adjustable Coilovers

Breaks: Wilwood 4 wheel disk break complete set up
Electrical: Led tailights, Led Red and White running lights/reverse bar, full SRT-4 cluster with all gauges except gas due to external fuel pump
Uprades: Borla Exhaust, forged connecting rods, bigger fuel pump, adjustable boost, greedy blow off valve sounds really good, forged aluminum rims with nitto tires, race seats. Stage 93 octane DSP tune.

Recent work brand new walborough external 100 psi fuel pump and a all new aluminum custom made gas tank to Maximize fuel capacity with a AGP fuel return system installed. 3,000 have receipts

This machine was built for weekend driving and car cruises. It has never been tracked or offroaded.

There's a lot I'm forgetting, fully complete roadster fully street legal with clear title in hand any ready to drive. more pictures available upon request.

Rear wheel drive SRT-4 Roadster 100 percent street legal with green title in hand.
Weighs about 1200 pounds dry weight.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

GramCracker posted:

Literally my favorite Cosby standup. "Whatchoo doin' drivin' them ferr'n kars?" :clint:

"Give it to George Wallace. " :getin:

Cosby used to be a pretty cool dude.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

88h88 posted:

I'm generally not a fan of Beetles but this one has changed my mind, it's stunning.

Two tone bugs are the poo poo, I don't think I've ever seen a bad color combo on the white doors. Even off-white works.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

That thing would be absolutely terrifying to drive. Looks pretty well built though, except for the fact that it's missing a passenger compartment.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?

88h88 posted:

Part of my brain still doesn't want to accept the stance crowd, and it said the following to the rest of my brain: "I hope he knows his rear suspension has failed catastrophically."

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Old VWs and other vehicles with swing-arm rear suspension kinda have an excuse for that. If you lower them, that just happens, unless you fabricate things.

Doing it intentionally is loving stupid however. Sorry.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Delivery McGee posted:

I saw the surviving car in person at Barrett-Jackson years ago, before I'd even heard that comedy bit about it. It's one of those cars that if you know what you're looking at, it's a bit scary without anyone even firing it up.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

IOwnCalculus posted:

I saw the surviving car in person at Barrett-Jackson years ago, before I'd even heard that comedy bit about it. It's one of those cars that if you know what you're looking at, it's a bit scary without anyone even firing it up.

Like, it just looks bat-poo poo insane.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

rcman50166 posted:

I actually did extensive research on active suspension. Turns out it is horribly inefficient in the form the Bose system uses it. There is a tremendous amount of electricity needed to elevate and lower the car. Any gains in performance you'd see in the horsepower loss to the wheels driving the alternator for that thing. Basically it can only be used as a ridiculous comfort luxury. The way Audi does it is much more sensible and uses technology to decrease the amount of power needed to operate the system. They experimented with a ferro-fluid filled shock that resisted more when a current was applied to it. While this isn't active in the way Bose's system is, Audi's system could be used in a performance setting. The last option, which is hydraulic, is more sensible than the previous two simply because it uses less energy than Bose's magnetic system and is active unlike Audi's. Simply, it shifts hydraulic fluid to each shock as the suspension needed to be stiffened or pulls it out to loosen. In cornering, this can replace the anti-roll bar. However the dangerous tradeoff is that if it fails mid corning, you lose control of the car. Just ask Alessandro Zanardi.

Citroën created the best suspension system in the 1950s, and they've been improving it ever since :france:

(Ignore the marketing-speak, and watch how the wheels move over rough surfaces)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2q03XZugwg

The level of comfort in a C6 or the latest C5 is ridiculously good. Like Rolls-Royce good, at a fraction of the price.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

revmoo posted:

That thing would be absolutely terrifying to drive. Looks pretty well built though, except for the fact that it's missing a passenger compartment.

18k is a bit much though. Still though, I bet it's a loving laugh riot to drive.

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan

KozmoNaut posted:

Citroën created the best suspension system in the 1950s, and they've been improving it ever since :france:

(Ignore the marketing-speak, and watch how the wheels move over rough surfaces)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2q03XZugwg

The level of comfort in a C6 or the latest C5 is ridiculously good. Like Rolls-Royce good, at a fraction of the price.

All I can think of is maintenance costs on that drat thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

This reminds me: I saw an actual AC Ace on the road for the very first time last week. I didn't think if ever see one outside a car show/auction.