Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Things pissing me off yesterday:

Why did Freescale re-add a egl extension into Android that:

1) They don't use.
2) hosed up some code I was backporting?

It took me 3 days to hunt that fucker down and disable it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

dogstile posted:

You lucky poo poo, well done :toot:

poo poo that is pissing me off? Got a particularly hard call placed into my name, a lab machine that's on the fritz and they're usually a pain to sort out. When I got told the ticket was being put into my name my colleague used the phrase "It's a hard problem so I instantly thought of you".

poo poo, that's not good.

Does this happen regularly? That sounds like leverage for a raise to me. "Hey boss, looks like I'm the only guy people trust to get the difficult poo poo done." I mean, I doubt it will work since I have vague recollections of you having a really lovely boss (I could be wrong - it tends to blur together in here), but no harm in trying.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?

Sounder posted:

poo poo not pissing me off today, but making me laugh and laugh: after installing our new VoIP servers, our resellers spring new software requirements on us for their lovely server component.

- Do not run Antivirus on this server.
- Do not run a firewall on this server.
- Set an administrator account on the server to auto-logon.
- Better yet, make that a domain admin account.

Ha ha, you are adorable. :allears:

(I basically just said "yeah, no" and they backed off.)

gently caress vendors that are this stupid.

Asigra is one of the worst backup vendors I have ever worked with. They won't support any authentication module other than regular password. We have a requirement for RSA auth on all infrastructure devices, and they don't support it.

I mean, come on, its a goddamn module, it should be invisible to you. In fact, it takes effort to be this stupid, honestly.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
There's basically nothing worse than a browser based java apps. Choose functionality or security, you only get one.

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy
I can configure the gently caress out of a desktop java environment :clint: Can't wait until that is a worthless skill

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?
People who use "them" to refer to an ambiguous group.

Triage posted:

QED – Please check one of them with a laptop we have in inventory.

Especially when the last item in the ticket is "Acct. Manager Approved" and no mention of what the item was. I had no knowledge of a package that came in, so I requested clarification and got a classic response

quote:

Read the notes

I managed to determine the vendor listed on the proposal and spent a half hour going through internal inventory looking for anything from the same company on the return address

HFX
Nov 29, 2004

Lareous posted:

We have an industry specific browser based program that just poo poo the bed.

Come to find out after I called their support line that "Oh it doesn't work in Java 7 yet roll back to Java 6".

It...was working fine in Java 7 until the most recent update. So I'm just supposed to waltz around with a gaping security risk until it's patched I guess.

EDIT: Oh and of COURSE it only works in IE.

I usually find that breaking due to Java changing versions is 99% of the time a sign of really crappy code.

In the Java vein, I've been finding need for things in Java 7 that would help reduce my development time / dependencies. I'd really even like Java 8. I decided to ask what is the plan for moving up from Java 6. The answer: We currently have no plan to move from Java 6. We may start such a plan in the next 6 months. Yes, they will start a plan to move to a Java version that will almost be out of date at that point.

HFX
Nov 29, 2004
I have managed to double post and I am not sure how!

capitalcomma
Sep 9, 2001

A grim bloody fable, with an unhappy bloody end.

QuiteEasilyDone posted:

People who use "them" to refer to an ambiguous group.

Oh god, ambiguous communication in general drives me crazy. When I get emails like:

quote:

"it didn't fix after applying the update"

with ZERO ADDITIONAL CONTEXT, I die a little inside. What's "it"? What update did you apply? What are you trying to fix? Why? What's the history of this case?

And of course these are the people who will get huffy when you request more information.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

Sickening posted:

My boss the "IT Director" decided he was going to help me rack the new VNX san storage today. Its a two person job, so I don't mind at first but he proceeds then to try to lead this endeavor. His first attempt at commanding the show is him trying to use the wrong rails. I let him know that these are the wrong rails and he politely tells me that he believes they are correct and we will do it his way. After putting on the wrong rails we then proceed to try to jam the unit onto rails that don't fit. The unit doesn't fit and then he attempts to try to bend the rails to make it fit.

I finally say enough is enough and refuse to do anymore. I let him know that its not a big deal to change the rails and using the wrong rails is just wrong. I try to further explain that its an honest mistake because they aren't labeled but refusing to correct the mistake just doesn't make sense.

He plays around for a while doing god knows what and finally comes and get to me change the rails to the correct ones.

If you will it* hard enough, you can turn a wrong into a right and not have to admit it was wrong to begin with.

*Sometimes, willpower requires power tools.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Che Delilas posted:

Does this happen regularly? That sounds like leverage for a raise to me. "Hey boss, looks like I'm the only guy people trust to get the difficult poo poo done." I mean, I doubt it will work since I have vague recollections of you having a really lovely boss (I could be wrong - it tends to blur together in here), but no harm in trying.

Actually, i'm due for a review soon, so i'm gonna bring it up. I'm getting an extra £1000 or so at least, won't settle for less.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Sounder posted:

- Set an administrator account on the server to auto-logon.
- Better yet, make that a domain admin account.
Had an application installed the other day. The vendor insisted that the application should connect to SQL Server using 'sa'. :suicide:

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?

Collateral Damage posted:

Had an application installed the other day. The vendor insisted that the application should connect to SQL Server using 'sa'. :suicide:

I think it should be legal to give a vendor an electric shock when they ask for things like this.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Rofl. Ok, I am glad sometimes that I work with semi-competent people who will listen to me when I tell them to gently caress off when it comes to certain poo poo like this.

The worst was when my co-worker used the get_fs function in a driver he wrote. That didn't last long. :v:

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

I just had a conversation with someone who repeatedly said "Crisco" when referring to the Cisco secured email she uses.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

wa27 posted:

I just had a conversation with someone who repeatedly said "Crisco" when referring to the Cisco secured email she uses.

There's a nonzero chance that she's doing it to gently caress with you, like my vendor who is a "Squirrel Server" expert.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

HFX posted:

I usually find that breaking due to Java changing versions is 99% of the time a sign of really crappy code.

Take a wild guess at the code quality of the majority of business apps.

There's a reason that I've stopped using "best" in lieu of "least worst".

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

There's a nonzero chance that she's doing it to gently caress with you, like my vendor who is a "Squirrel Server" expert.

Multiple Sclerosis Squirrel or Post-Grey Squirrel?

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

Paladine_PSoT posted:

Multiple Sclerosis Squirrel or Post-Grey Squirrel?
Don't forget Malaysian Squirrel!

keseph
Oct 21, 2010

beep bawk boop bawk

It is so intensely tempting to rename sid 0x01, create a new non-sysadmin "sa" and hand them that, just to screw with them and see them try to figure it out (ideally through a screenshare).

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

I hate executives that *must* have a phone with a physical keyboard. It was bad enough two years ago but now Verizon doesn't even sell the Droid 4 so I'm buying a new one from some weird seller on Amazon.

You're going to have to let go eventually, people. Learn to Swype or something!

Lareous
Feb 19, 2008

We have a 70 year old semi-retired client that I aspire to be one day; he only has a landline phone, and he has the fax plugged into it (he does not use email). If we have to call him, and he's got the fax plugged in, we have to fax him to call us back. It's incredible.

Cenodoxus
Mar 29, 2012

while [[ true ]] ; do
    pour()
done

Lareous posted:

he has the fax plugged into it (he does not use email)

Well he would be printing out all those emails anyway, so why not just cut out the middle man?

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Lareous posted:

We have a 70 year old semi-retired client that I aspire to be one day; he only has a landline phone, and he has the fax plugged into it (he does not use email). If we have to call him, and he's got the fax plugged in, we have to fax him to call us back. It's incredible.

I heard of a client of ours in Europe that's in the gold business or something. No email, no computers. You get a phone (landline, with a cord), a legal pad, and a pen. Go make money.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Why the hell does Sonicwall not have Windows RDP as a Service Object in the OS by default? Adding it takes all of 10 seconds, but still.

wa27 posted:

I hate executives that *must* have a phone with a physical keyboard. It was bad enough two years ago but now Verizon doesn't even sell the Droid 4 so I'm buying a new one from some weird seller on Amazon.

Yeah, thankfully the amount of support calls I have to go on to "help" irate old people with their ancient Blackberrys and vague, unreproducable problems has dropped to pretty much zero. Maybe that's due to my unwillingness to actually learn the system and thus inability to really fix them at all. I have the same policy for Sonos.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

wa27 posted:

As soon as Swype stops occupying half to 80% the drat screen when I try to use it and isn't an inaccurate piece of garbage, maybe I will. :colbert:

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Swiftkey fixes the second problem but definitely not the first.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
code:
static struct regulator_init_data sw2_init = {
        .constraints = {
                        .name = "PFUZE100_SW2",
#if PFUZE100_SW2_VOL6
                     	.min_uV = 800000,
                        .max_uV = 3950000,
#else
                        .min_uV = 400000,
                        .max_uV = 1975000,
#endif
                        .valid_ops_mask = REGULATOR_CHANGE_VOLTAGE,
                        .valid_modes_mask = 0,
                        .always_on = 1,
                        .boot_on = 1,
                        },
        .num_consumer_supplies = ARRAY_SIZE(sw2_consumers),
        .consumer_supplies = sw2_consumers,
};
.always_on = 1
.boot_on = 1

It shuts it off. :psyduck:

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

Galler posted:

Swiftkey fixes the second problem but definitely not the first.
You can adjust the size of the keyboard by holding the "123" key and selecting Resize. This used to be exposed in the settings but isn't anynmore.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Holy poo poo that's amazing. Thank you.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

Inspector_666 posted:

Why the hell does Sonicwall not have Windows RDP as a Service Object in the OS by default? Adding it takes all of 10 seconds, but still.

It is there as "Terminal Services"

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

sanchez posted:

It is there as "Terminal Services"

I'm not sure if that makes me :downs: or not.

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006
[Insert good English here]

wa27 posted:

:siren:Hold me back, everybody!!!!:siren:

You can have my LG Mach when you pry it from my cold, dead hands.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Inspector_666 posted:

Yeah, thankfully the amount of support calls I have to go on to "help" irate old people with their ancient Blackberrys and vague, unreproducable problems has dropped to pretty much zero.
It's probably because the hardware in their Blackberries is two years old and has thus bricked itself like pretty much every Blackberry we've used has done within 1 to 12 months after its warranty expires.

When Blackberry is dead I'll take a number and get in line to piss on their grave.

Prosthetic_Mind
Mar 1, 2007
Pillbug
I got an old friend of mine an interview where I work and helped him negotiate the offer he got to twice what he is currently making.

I learned yesterday that they withdrew the offer because he wouldn't budge on starting 2 months later than the date he originally set (which was more than a month later than when we wanted him to be able to come in) because they pushed back the project he's working on by 2 months at his old job. This is a place that overworks and underpays him, and then guilt trips him whenever he tries to take the little vacation he gets.
Some people you can't save. :dawkins101:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Prosthetic_Mind posted:

Some people you can't save. :dawkins101:

Was going to post that before you said it.

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.
Grab a bottle of whiskey and a handful of aspirin and put them in his hands and whisper "this way is easier" and walk away.

mewse
May 2, 2006

I dealt with a machine with cryptolocker a few weeks ago that wasn't on our virtual infrastructure and had no backups, so I had to be the dude that phoned the user and said "all your data is gone, deal with it".

I described the problem to every guy on my 5-man team, even told my boss about it, it's the nastiest virus I've ever seen because it doesn't lock up the machine until it's encrypted everything, etc etc.

SOOO, I'm just the desktop support guy and a couple days ago, someone got cryptolocker on their virtual machine, and it encrypted files on all their mapped drives. Luckily, we have backups for our virtual stuff so I told our guy how it worked, and that he would have to restore the files.

I got sent to a very remote office by bush plane and apparently things just completely exploded while I was away and we got like a dozen cryptolocker infections.

I come back and our server guys, who make way more money than me, are dealing with the infection by scanning files from the server instead of dealing with the virtual desktops.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

something that didnt piss me off: Ops manager implemented a little c-level shaming over not approving Expensive IT purchases.

Sent the whole building home, full days pay, over a 7K sonicwall device.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

It's probably because the hardware in their Blackberries is two years old and has thus bricked itself like pretty much every Blackberry we've used has done within 1 to 12 months after its warranty expires.

When Blackberry is dead I'll take a number and get in line to piss on their grave.

I have a Curve 8330 that will likely outlive me at this point. Company is pushing everyone into using their personal device and MobileIron, I feel as though if a cellphone is required for my job, they should loving buy it.