Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dazh
Jul 9, 2008
I don't think the show's always supposed to be funny in a "haha" kind of way. I think a lot of its humor is derived from the tragedy of Louie's character's life. I don't think it's a type of comedy that's being well represented on TV today and I think that's where a lot of its accolades come from.

The one thing I don't like about the show as much as I enjoy seeing li'l Jimmy, Nick DiPaolo, and others, are the comedians sitting around playing cards segments. They feel really unnatural and forced to me.

Morter posted:

The few times she called him "Jimmy" made me go deep into :tinfoil: territory and made me think that this was them setting her up, letting her know she was going to fight with a fake Louis CK, but she would get bothered enough to tear down the fourth wall and yell at the actor she knew was playing Fake Louis.

I'd be very disappointed if she showed a fake Dave Chappelle her "bubbs" on purpose. I think Opie makes it pretty obvious when he's trying to set up a bit, though, and if they weren't really that stupid they wouldn't have been banned from the unmasked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stotty
Apr 5, 2004

Dazh posted:

I don't think the show's always supposed to be funny in a "haha" kind of way.

It's not funny, but it's fun

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

livingfruitvirus posted:

FX takes a long while to add shows to Netflix don't they?

Yeah they do, not really in a hurry though.

Cory Lidle
Oct 12, 2006

spudsbuckley posted:

Yeah, i made the mistake of suggesting that it maybe wasn't that great in TVIV halfway through the second season.

Of course i was called a luddite rear end in a top hat who doesn't understand comedy at all because i didn't find every second of the show to be hilarious genius.
So basically you were received the same way as you are here?

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

Cory Lidle posted:

You have killed me.

I am dead.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.

Cory Lidle posted:

:drat:

Saint Jimmy
Jul 5, 2006

If Di is part of the joke, she deserves a loving Oscar. Same for Bobo.

CortezFantastic
Aug 10, 2003

I SEE DEMONS

Stefan Prodan posted:

I thought the 3 episodes where Louie is trying to take over the Tonight Show were really great

Agreed, and the episode with Doug Stanhope was very well acted. The show is tremendous at times.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

spudsbuckley posted:

You have killed me.

I am dead.

Who are you? Tyler Stanger?

Paul Kersey
Oct 28, 2004

Leslie Jones, the SNL writer/comedian the boys talked about today, is hilarious. Her special "Problem Child" is great and she killed on Carolla and Maron's podcasts. They should definitely try and get her in.

bunky
Aug 29, 2004

Cory Lidle posted:

holy poo poo

UncleMonkey
Jan 11, 2005

We watched our friends grow up together
And we saw them as they fell
Some of them fell into Heaven
Some of them fell into Hell
Erock is the loving greatest. Goddamn did he come through today.

Amphion
Jun 10, 2012

All we know is... he's called The Stig.
Wish he had grabbed the cake and threw it in her face instead

Here's the video http://video.foxnews.com/v/2536474888001/fox-and-friends-after-the-show-show/#sp=watch-live

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

UncleMonkey posted:

Erock is the loving greatest. Goddamn did he come through today.

What happened?

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

Call Me Charlie posted:

What happened?

See above

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon
lmao, loving Hawk!

Droopy Goines
Aug 2, 2003

Presented in DTS ES 6.1 where available.

Amphion posted:

Here's the video http://video.foxnews.com/v/2536474888001/fox-and-friends-after-the-show-show/#sp=watch-live

That was awesome.

If he had thrown it in her face it could have moved into "so fired" territory, but instead he kept it fun.

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

I love how she high-fived him after he did it. Haha that's loving funny.

ChristianDB
Jun 29, 2008
Harping back to the Louie debate, that episode where he's opening up for Jerry, if you have ever done comedy, it's both gut wrenching and loving hilarious what is going on. I keep having to pause it because I can't take how close to home it hits. Even everything before it, the lead up has been my experience that lead to the inevitable conclusion

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

People are under a lot of stress, Bradley.

ChristianDB posted:

Harping back to the Louie debate, that episode where he's opening up for Jerry, if you have ever done comedy, it's both gut wrenching and loving hilarious what is going on. I keep having to pause it because I can't take how close to home it hits. Even everything before it, the lead up has been my experience that lead to the inevitable conclusion
I'm so glad that episode had the twist toward the end, because I was beginning to wonder what the gently caress was going on and if Louie just decided to write himself having sex with hot models.

Also, this interaction between Jim and Louie on Monday was really funny to me:

Jim: I was looking at this picture from Lucky Louie of me, you, and Rick Shapiro. Boy, was I fat disgusting pig.
Louie: You were never a fat person.
Jim: Oh, I was. I was loving so fat.
Louie: You have mental problems.

ChristianDB
Jun 29, 2008

Cromulent posted:

I'm so glad that episode had the twist toward the end, because I was beginning to wonder what the gently caress was going on and if Louie just decided to write himself having sex with hot models.

Also, this interaction between Jim and Louie on Monday was really funny to me:

Jim: I was looking at this picture from Lucky Louie of me, you, and Rick Shapiro. Boy, was I fat disgusting pig.
Louie: You were never a fat person.
Jim: Oh, I was. I was loving so fat.
Louie: You have mental problems.

Just finished the episode, it was really good. The absurdism of the first was a little lost on me but I enjoyed it.

I just kept thinking " This is louie ck, maybe he'll get out of it" Nope. Absolutely no one could and that warmed my heart

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Maybe Kris can come in, and we can throw M-80s at his asshole.
Hahaha. Fuckin' Hawk.

cochise
Sep 11, 2011

Amphion posted:

E-rock army nigga.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.

Morter posted:

The few times she called him "Jimmy" made me go deep into :tinfoil: territory and made me think that this was them setting her up, letting her know she was going to fight with a fake Louis CK, but she would get bothered enough to tear down the fourth wall and yell at the actor she knew was playing Fake Louis.

It hadn't occurred to me too much until someone said that 90% of the "retard" bits are set up in advance, but now I'm a lot more sensitive to the little signs. I mean, I know that a lot of times they're fed lines in studio, but I get bummed out when Opie does a five minute set up to begrudgingly take Lady Di/Bobo and ask with frustration "Why are you CAWLING us?!" only for them to go "You guys called me". It's never acknowledged and there's usually the tiniest bit of silence before they go onto beating them up, verbally.

I can only hope she IS that stupid, and we're not all rubes. :smith:

I was one of the guys who posted that they set up a lot of the Lady Di segments and today had a good reveal. When Guy Fierre was in studio Opie did his usual "Hi who's this?" and Lady Di immediately says "Sam told me to call into the show, he told me I was going to speak to Guy Fiere? Who's that?" Then she confuses him for being a pop star, but that's because Sam told her to call to talk to a famous singer they're going to have in studio.

Lady Di isn't playing a character, she really is that dumb and lives a hosed up life, but Sam and Opie push her into making an rear end of herself. Sam absolutely feeds her tons of stuff to say or do and Lady Di does it because she knows O&A and the listeners will enjoy it. However Lady Di is too stupid to go along with the bit so she messes it up all the time. My point is if they just let Lady Di do her own thing she would be just as funny without forcing it so much.

Dazh
Jul 9, 2008
Don't you think that at this point they do it to get her to mess the bit up entirely on purpose?

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Gurian thinks that the Pyramids were built by aliens.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.

Dazh posted:

Don't you think that at this point they do it to get her to mess the bit up entirely on purpose?
Nope, because whenever she does mess it up they don't laugh at it so they just go back to asking how many Natty Ice's has she had/calling her a pig/whatever. There are times when Sam feeds her a line in studio and she fucks it up, that's funny and they like when that happens, but they don't want the audience to be aware of everything Sam does behind the scenes because it does ruin the bit.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

cochise posted:

E-rock army nigga.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

cochise posted:

E-rock army nigga.

Coke floats in mah cup, Coke floats in mah cup.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

therealjon_ posted:

I love how she high-fived him after he did it. Haha that's loving funny.
drat, she just stands around looking stunned after she gets back to the foreground. She almost looks like she's afraid for her life because of a drat cake.

UncleMonkey
Jan 11, 2005

We watched our friends grow up together
And we saw them as they fell
Some of them fell into Heaven
Some of them fell into Hell

spudsbuckley posted:

Gurian thinks that the Pyramids were built by aliens.
He also thinks that as a child he could lay his hands on people and heal them.

Of course, he also believes he's a comedian, so... yeah.

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?

CrashCat posted:

drat, she just stands around looking stunned after she gets back to the foreground. She almost looks like she's afraid for her life because of a drat cake.
Ho gonna throw a cake at a motherfucker then act scared when someone throws that cake in he own mouth

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

UncleMonkey posted:

Of course, he also believes he's a comedian, so... yeah.

That's probably the most confusing aspect of the guy. I can honestly say i've never found anything he has done on R&F to be the slightest bit funny.

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Maybe Kris can come in, and we can throw M-80s at his asshole.
The douchiest part of that other radio guy stealing Whip 'em Out Wednesday is Opie's over-inflated anger when listening to the clips.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Stokes posted:

The douchiest part of that other radio guy stealing Whip 'em Out Wednesday is Opie's over-inflated anger when listening to the clips.

Didn't Ron and Ron, and every other 'shock jock' duo of the 80s and early 90s, have the exact same bit? I don't understand why they care.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

Sankis posted:

Didn't Ron and Ron, and every other 'shock jock' duo of the 80s and early 90s, have the exact same bit? I don't understand why they care.

Yes.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Hey now, Whip Em Out Wednesday is completely different than Let The Puppies Breathe.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Sankis posted:

You know full well that inventing that bit is the narrative Opie has been trying to push for years. They used to piss and moan about Leykis for hours because he did a similar bit, didn't they? At least I don't think I'm imagining that.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
I remember a few years ago they were making fun of some other jock who stole the WOW concept, except he called it "Whit It Out Wednesday", which carried an entirely different connotation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

How Much Art
Oct 29, 2003
Trampoline Destroys Bear
Holy gently caress I want them to do the Bobo day-trading thing so badly. Just thinking about it makes me cry with laughter.

• Locked thread