Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rick Rickshaw
Feb 21, 2007

I am not disappointed I lost the PGA Championship. Nope, I am not.

Grumpwagon posted:

No, but you didn't have to.

My friend works at a local software development company who is known for paying well, in exchange for long hours. We live in a midwestern city with a reasonably low cost of living, so wages aren't bay area levels, but money goes a long way. This friend went out to lunch with a couple who both work at this company, so combined income of well over 200k. He noticed they tipped under 10% (not for bad service reasons either). Anyone making $200k who won't tip more than that to someone making ~10 times less than them counts as bad with money/life in my book.

(lets not start the tipping debate, I'd love for service workers to make a living wage, but it's the system we have, so tip)

:can:

I don't think that qualifies as bad with money, depending on WHY they chose to tip so low (are they cash-strapped?).

Rick Rickshaw fucked around with this message at 15:35 on May 7, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX
Pizza is disgusting and anyone who spends money on pizza is solidly in the "bad with money" category IMO.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
That doesn't make you bad with money (quite the opposite, really) it just means you're kind of a dick.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Zo posted:

Pizza is disgusting and anyone who spends money on pizza is solidly in the "bad with money" category IMO.

:siren: Goon honeypot post right here. :siren:

That said, I do know a guy at work who orders pizza for lunch 3 times a week. Probably spends around $150 on it every month. He seems to be in shape, though, so I guess at least it's not affecting his health so much. :shrug:

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
I live in a place with $1 slices, pizza is probably cheaper than cooking for me if I want to die

Devonaut
Jul 10, 2001

Devoted Astronaut

Dying young is a great way to save money.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Devonaut posted:

Dying young is a great way to save money.

My parents were in a reminiscing mood this past Easter. They told me that when I was a little kid (sometime in elementary school), they warned me about what would happen if I didn't wear my seatbelt. Apparently, I replied brightly and without the slightest indication that I was joking: "Well, one less child to take care of!"

I wonder if it ever occurred to them to regret being constantly sarcastic around me at that age.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
The ultimate way to save money is to steal everything instead of buying it. (And if you end up in jail, you still get room and board paid for, so you're coming out ahead! It's the secret BFC doesn't want you to know about!)

Rick Rickshaw posted:

:can:

I don't think that qualifies as bad with money, depending on WHY they chose to tip so low (are they cash-strapped?).
Seriously though, if you can't afford a standard tip, you can't afford to eat wherever you're eating. And if someone with that much income is that cash-strapped, then whatever lead to it definitely qualifies as bad with money. :v:

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Haifisch posted:

The ultimate way to save money is to steal everything instead of buying it. (And if you end up in jail, you still get room and board paid for, so you're coming out ahead! It's the secret BFC doesn't want you to know about!)

Seriously though, if you can't afford a standard tip, you can't afford to eat wherever you're eating. And if someone with that much income is that cash-strapped, then whatever lead to it definitely qualifies as bad with money. :v:

Maybe they're just cheap-asses squirreling away every bit they earn?

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
I have an acquaintance on facebook who is pretty bad with money. He started a "clothing line" of cafepress tshirts with logos he designed. He's not a good artist by ANY stretch.
https://www.facebook.com/pages/MAD-ART-Clothing-Company/309630719056165

He's also a valet at some nice restaurant, because of course that "business" isn't paying the bills.
Last year, (before I began ignoring his posts) he posted a hilarious combo of posts. One was a picture of him parking a Lamborghini owned by a pro baseball player.
An hour later he posts an angry rant about how the guy "only" tipped him $8, and he knows the guy makes millions each year and can afford to tip more. I would think an $8 tip would be a decent tip for a valet taking 5 minutes to park your car (that he had a fun time driving)

But you heard it here first: Tipping at restaurants should be a percentage of the bill, tipping valet service is supposed to be a percentage of your gross income.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

Shipon posted:

Maybe they're just cheap-asses squirreling away every bit they earn?

I was worried about starting this whole debate. Maybe I should have just stuck with the useless posts.

Completely leaving aside morals or whatever, if your goal is to eat for the smallest amount of money, make your own food or eat off the dollar menu. If you're spending money at a sit down restaurant, you should be prepared to pay a normal amount of tip.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".
Tell us stories about people bad with money: Just the Tip(ping debate).

Devonaut
Jul 10, 2001

Devoted Astronaut

necrobobsledder posted:

Guess we can short Whole Foods stock, hrm.

Good on you if you did:

https://www.google.com/finance?q=NASDAQ%3AWFM

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
But I want to know how much you guys tipped your wedding photographer(s)! :ohdear:

fruition
Feb 1, 2014

OneWhoKnows posted:

Second story, somebody needs to tell that girl the truth even if it doesn't change anything because that's hosed up.

That girl is a loving piece of poo poo. What kind of animal guilts their parents into cosigning school loans with no intention of ever paying them off? Unless he molested her there's no excuse.

On tipping: I always tip servers at least 20% or $5 whichever is larger (25% if the service is outstanding). I think of it as my "charitable giving" and would gladly over-tip someone who is working than give money to people content with living on the dole.

e: A related story...
I have a "friend" who lives in a major US city in an income-subsidized condo that his millionaire father bought. His father is a dual citizen, and all of his assets are in another country, so on paper I suppose he qualified for the income-subsidized condo and bought it for pennies on the dollar (a condo meant for some family actually struggling to make ends meet, mind you). His dad bankrolls his entire life and he's never had a job, but he's a staunch communist and loves the thought of raising personal income taxes to 50%-60% so that we can abolish poverty.

He would always give me poo poo whenever I complain about taxes and tell me I'm wrong and selfish...but I'm sorry if I don't take the opinions of the never-employed seriously, especially when it comes to taxes and wasteful government spending.

Anyway, we were out to lunch one day and I offered to get the check, it was like $60 and the server was wonderful she had us laughing and poo poo, whatever. So I left her $20 as a tip. I put the money in the little black check booklet and get up to go use the bathroom. When I come back I find that he has taken my $20 tip out of the booklet and put one of his own $5 bills in its stead...he said I was "over-tipping" and it was "a lot of money". So I insisted politely that I'm tipping $20 and that's the end of it, I left his $5 in there as well and gave the hardworking charismatic waitress a $25 tip, which is enough to fill half a gas tank.

This kid is the biggest walking hypocrite I've ever met.

fruition fucked around with this message at 19:19 on May 7, 2014

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
/\/\ Oh man, just world and ad hominem. You're on a roll!

That makes you sound like a nice person. :allears:

tuyop fucked around with this message at 20:27 on May 7, 2014

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X
What does BFC think about tipping tow truck drivers?

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Cock, Rules, Everything, Around, Me
Scratchmo

SiGmA_X posted:

I always tip hookers!

fruition
Feb 1, 2014

SiGmA_X posted:

Absolutely, especially if the weather is lovely, it's a weekend, holiday, or really late at night/early morning. The dudes literally put their lives on the line to rescue stranded people; it has to be one of the most dangerous jobs.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

fruition posted:

The dudes literally put their lives on the line to rescue stranded people; it has to be one of the most dangerous jobs.

You watch too much reality tv.

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008
STOP loving TALKING ABOUT TIPPING IN THE BAD WITH MONEY THREAD. :mad:

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

SiGmA_X posted:

I tip very well at restaurants but for some reason hate tipping tow truck drivers. Especially if they're dropping off someone else's car (not mine).

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
when my car gets towed the tow-truck driver gets the tip of my boot inside of their skull

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Jeffrey posted:

when my car gets towed the tow-truck driver gets the tip of my boot inside of their skull

I was going to say, when you get towed it feels like you're the one getting "the tip".

In the rear end.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
The personalfinance subreddit just got put in the list of defaults. Get yo popcorn ready.

fork bomb
Apr 26, 2010

:shroom::shroom:

Barry posted:

The personalfinance subreddit just got put in the list of defaults. Get yo popcorn ready.

What does that mean?

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

It means you're automatically subscribed to it when you create an account on reddit. Also I think it means you see it on the front page when you're not logged in.

Previously you had to seek it out and manually subscribe.

Basically it means it now has way more visibility to the masses, and as a result will probably get a lot of terrible posts.

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004

Bobert51 posted:

I always tip hookers!

over the cliff and down the ravine?

fork bomb
Apr 26, 2010

:shroom::shroom:

I hope that the worst will continue to be posted here!

olylifter
Sep 13, 2007

I'm bad with money and you have an avatar!

Barry posted:

That was my exact first thought as well.

This is gonna be great.

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Help me find my true dharma

Guinness posted:

It means you're automatically subscribed to it when you create an account on reddit. Also I think it means you see it on the front page when you're not logged in.

Previously you had to seek it out and manually subscribe.

Basically it means it now has way more visibility to the masses, and as a result will probably get a lot of terrible posts.

"You mean spending $4000 a month on Reddit Gold and losing my house was a bad thing?!

Mocking Bird
Aug 17, 2011
I want to know what happened to that guy who blew his and his sister's inheritance on bitcoins.

Do you think he converted to dogecoin in time? :ohdear:

GAYS FOR DAYS
Dec 22, 2005

by exmarx

Grumpwagon posted:

No, but you didn't have to.

EDIT: drat it, meant to edit my last post.

EDIT 2: I'll add a story so these 2 posts aren't totally useless.

My friend works at a local software development company who is known for paying well, in exchange for long hours. We live in a midwestern city with a reasonably low cost of living, so wages aren't bay area levels, but money goes a long way. This friend went out to lunch with a couple who both work at this company, so combined income of well over 200k. He noticed they tipped under 10% (not for bad service reasons either). Anyone making $200k who won't tip more than that to someone making ~10 times less than them counts as bad with money/life in my book.

(lets not start the tipping debate, I'd love for service workers to make a living wage, but it's the system we have, so tip)

Is it Epic? 90% of the people who work at Epic are loving socially awkward nut cases who think their poo poo doesn't stink.

Omega Tyrant
Apr 15, 2013
I have two cousins, aged 24 and 22, that have been living with our uncle. The former has no job while the latter works part time as a pizza delivery guy. With this in mind, they pretty much depend on our uncle (who makes like under 20K a year) for their well being. They started attending the local community college last fall semester, to become cops and get financial aid money. See, since they're so poor and come from a poor background, they each not only get their tuition completely payed by financial aid, but also get a significant amount of bonus money as well (about $2000 worth per semester). So what do they do with this financial aid refund? Help the uncle out with living expenses? Nope. Use the money to finally get themselves a computer and internet so they can do schoolwork and so many other things at home? No, computers are "gay" or something like that according to them. Open a bank account and save that money up then? Not at all. What did they end up spending all the refund money on? Guns. Guns and guns and guns, and a bunch of ammunition (oh, and some pot too). Just guns and ammunition they never get to use (they don't hunt, so all they get to do is stare at them and touch them and shoot bottles in the basement). They not only did this with the first semester's money, but also did this with the second semester's money too. Did I also mention that they have a bunch of dogs and other pets to take care of?

For the kicker, they, along with a third cousin there (about 20), got some money recently from their estranged dad. The youngest cousin used the money to finally buy a computer, to which the oldest cousin remarked at him "why did you waste your money on that instead of something useful long term?" Yeah, because all that hunk of metal certainly does anything to help improve your life in any way and a computer certainly has no practical benefit in this day and age :rolleyes: (that same cousin also recently needed to spend the day at my mom's house to use her computer and internet to get school stuff done). Oh, and why do they want to become cops? So they get to carry around guns in public legally (yeah I don't expect them to make it that far, much less actually finish another semester).

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

I saw an ad for fingerhut on TV.

Must be raking in the dough if they can get a commercial onto TV.

zaurg
Mar 1, 2004

Weatherman posted:

Zaurg unless you're about to describe yourself in your next post here then kindly piss off and start your own thread. Ever since you got gassed the first time, you've wandered into BFC threads and gone "hay guyz itz me" and whatever thread you decided to perch over immediately filled with poo poo and piss. TIA

Veskit posted:

Where my updates at?

Not starting a new thread. No point. I'm bad with money. A quick recap/update:

- Bought condo in 2003 for +100k
- Married in 2007 and spent way too much on wedding
- Wife racked up insane amount of student loan debt to get a meaningless degree at Devry, will be paying off those loans for 15+ years.
- Had 2 kids
- Bought house in 2013 for +250k
- Renting out the underwater condo barely trying to break even. Filed 2013 tax return with a loss for the condo.
- At one point credit card balances was zero and emergency fund was near 10k. Now credit cards are up to about 1k and emergency fund + savings is only at about 3k. At least I'm throwing cash at 401k.
This is my life. I don't even know the balances because I don't check the finances at all any more... I might take a peak every couple months. Let the wife handle that. She likes to spend money. First year in house we bought a ton of new furniture and recently upgraded all windows because it was a great deal at 8k (home depot quoted 22k, another company quoted 18k) so 8k was a great deal and we had to do it. Now next goal is to update guest/kids bathroom before the end of the year, estimated cost 5k. Wife and I agreed to wait to do it until we had 5k in cash saved up and the emergency fund was at 5k, so that's something.

Don't do what zaurg does I guess is the point. Save your average income money for 5-10 years, then you can do stuff you want to do because the cash is on hand and you won't be going into further debt or something.

GAYS FOR DAYS
Dec 22, 2005

by exmarx
Make a new thread. I missed out on the originals when they were around, but read through both of them in their entirety, and it's what got my butt into gear as far as financial responsibility goes.

Your wife still do the MLM crap?

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
The Atlantic wrote an article just for you guys!

http://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2014/05/the-danger-of-financial-ignorance-do-you-understand-money/361851/

It's a weird combination of horrifying subject matter and dry writing. If I were the one delivering this message it would be in a panicked scream.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
God drat, Zaurg. I really was hoping that you would have gotten your wife on the same page and been able to turn your life around. You have my condolences, but it looks like a bankruptcy, divorce, or both are in your future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EAB
Jan 18, 2011
My mom. Is so ridiculously bad with money. IT DRIVES ME ABSOLUTELY BATSHIT INSANE.

I mean, I can't blame her, she grew up in the third world under immense poverty. She has very little education. She's super paranoid about "scammers" and "cons" but she manages to get scammed and conned all the time and it's really hard for me to communicate it to her, it can take me hours of explaining until she understands.

There is this auto repair place she goes to. A lot. I found it suspicious that she would go in for problems and would end up getting other poo poo "fixed" and huge repair bills. I researched the company and lo and behold... news articles about the attorney general investigating them for fraudulent repairs/charges. average 1.5/5 yelp/google reviews. It was very hard to explain to her that this company can't be trusted and they probably scammed her out of a lot of money and that she shouldn't go there again, and I did some research and gave her some other mechanics. She doesn't like to listen to me I guess.... because she still goes there. "But the guy told me they have new management" "But he said he's going to do a good job" "But he promised that all the repairs were legitimate"

She is also easily persuaded by salesmen. She went to some tire place to get new tires and ended up leaving with fancy rims for her car... despite so many other financial problems in her life, the salesman convinced her to waste money on piece of poo poo wheels instead of putting money into all of her other real problems. She had a 30 day window to return them for full refund. I tried to remind her every week, "yeah im gonna return them".... she never did.

She also buys tons of poo poo from sales, because "I'm saving money!" buying tons of useless poo poo that just fills up boxes in her garage that she never uses.

I don't want to give up on my mom... but she doesn't listen to me.

• Locked thread