Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Domattee posted:

Have you upgraded your chime and infused it with lightning?

My chine is Lightning +10, my Mace is Lightning +10, 40 STR, 42 Faith. I hit for nothing, and am apparently made of paper. I guess I just HAVE to use some big fuckoff 2 hander then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

FrancoFish posted:

My Great Lightning Spear takes about 6-7 to kill them. I guess 42 Faith may as well be 0 then?

I had 50 faith, it's not that big a difference. Your chime is the problem. Get the Dragon Chime from the Pilgrims of Dark covenant, infuse it with lightning and fully upgrade it. You'll never have damage problems again.

edit: You also have more strength than I did, lightning infusing a weapon makes faith way more important for scaling that str/dex.

Manatee Cannon fucked around with this message at 22:49 on May 7, 2014

KaiserSchnitzel
Feb 23, 2003

Hey baby I think we Havel lot in common

Chomp8645 posted:

But still soul memory is way, WAY better for NG then soul level was. Just because it's not a perfect system doesn't mean it's not a massive improvement.

Although I usually agree with you, as far as I can recall, I completely disagree with this statement. Soul memory is a tremendous leap backwards. Barring mulers and boxglitchers, the SL1 pyro lightning rapier Burg invader set would have been virtually nonexistent. The problem really was the cheating, not the system. This game doesn't have an item like the Book of the Guilty from DS1 - arguably a completely useless item that only encouraged people to accumulate sin for fame - but if you open that thing up on any platform - PS3, Xbox 360, or PC - and look at the top several hundred players on the list, they are ALL cheating. That's not speculation; you can see their stats.

It actually would have been better to just make a blanket level of 50 before you can invade anyone or be invaded - because, by that time, you should be able to at least defend yourself against anyone within your level range regardless of equipment. And, your "build optimization" isn't a factor either, because you have probably at least 2 opportunities to respec before level 50.

Yes, you may (will) still end up getting invaded by someone who has chosen gear over levels, but at level 50+ it's a much smaller concern. If this could be combined with autobans of cheaters & megamulers, I don't think you'd have much of a problem, honestly. The fact that the muling exists to begin with is a massive failure on FROM's part. I can't really speak to the save editor cheaters, but I would think that there would be a way to prevent that or at least catch it and kick those players offline.

Now, I'm not going to go so far as to say that cheaters or megamulers or people that use trainers are assholes, because that's an overbroad statement. A lot of them could be very nice people and not dicks at all. What I am trying to say is that preventing this type of activity should have been a priority when making DS2...going through an entire playthrough of the game without getting invaded at all REALLY takes away from the experience we had in DS and DS1. I mean, it's almost like those invasions WERE the thing that made the games special - without them, these games are just going from point A to point B killing monsters along the way, and leveling up, upgrading your gear and getting new gear just like every other generic fantasy setting RPG.

Someone on the Namco boards was complaining about the "forced PVP" and that he was very upset about the "constant invasions" he was getting when all he wanted to do was keep leveling up his character and doing co-op. He was something like level 260 or something ridiculous like that. That's just one person, but a LOT of people feel that way...like they want the game to be nothing but and RPG for solo and co-op play. Well...that is Borderlands. The pvp in ALL flavors (dickwraiths, gankers, duelers, chameleons, glass cannons, turtlepokers, etc.) is EXACTLY the thing that makes Dark Souls special.

I'm not saying that the DS1 system could not have been improved upon, but I vehemently disagree that soul memory is a "massive improvement." At best it's a cop-out that accommodates the Casual Souls experience that people were concerned about from the pre-release days when it was said that the game would be "more accessible." Well, yeah, it's more accessible, if you mean "easier" or "less likely that you will lose a bunch of souls because you fell off a cliff"...it certainly isn't more accessible in the storytelling sense, which is even more obtuse than DS1.

I will admit freely that soul memory really limits the invasions that happen to your character when they are at their weakest (unless you get invaded by a cheater, an invader is likely to be as weak as you are or weaker...and you know from experience that you just never get invaded anyway), but after you hit level 50-70 there's just no reason for it. It's a bad system, or at least one that needs a SIGNIFICANT overhaul.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Azzents posted:

FROM really missed a trick by not making unnarmed/cestus backstabs and frontstabs do suplexes and tombstones. I have become disenchanted by my punchy guy now. :colbert:

Whips also just have a regular stab for a backstab. It's a shame that it's not a choke or anything of the like.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

FrancoFish posted:

I lose 80% of my hp if I'm hit by one of their rapid, ceaseless attacks? I'm getting loving DESTROYED.

Uh what?

FrancoFish posted:

wearing light armor (since heavy does gently caress all)

Oh.

FrancoFish posted:

the game is hard as gently caress now because of numbers.

You probably shouldn't play RPGs.

BobbyK
Jun 4, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Manatee Cannon posted:

This was never not the case, coop between friends isn't what they're going for. From what I understand Dark Souls 1 even disabled party chat on the 360.

Yeah, that sucks and is dumb. Co-oping is super fun and playing Dark Souls with friends is fun too. That's what I was going for.

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

FrancoFish posted:

My chine is Lightning +10, my Mace is Lightning +10, 40 STR, 42 Faith. I hit for nothing, and am apparently made of paper. I guess I just HAVE to use some big fuckoff 2 hander then.

I used the club as a pure strength build and 4 shot those guys so I don't understand how you are doing so little damage, but it's definitely doable without a huge weapon.

Except the mace guys, gently caress'em.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
I got backstabbed by a Havel's with a pretty decently sized sword, but it did less than a quarter of my health. I'm wearing pretty light armor and stuff too. How does THAT happen?

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

NPC red phantoms are actively guard-breaking now in NG+. I like it, nice to learn you cant just hold your shield up 24/7.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Zaphod42 posted:

Uh what?

Oh.

You probably shouldn't play RPGs.

They hit hard. I've tried heavy armor and light armor both. You are bad at making people mad.

But yeah, I'll try a bigger weapon. I've been fine up until now with the mace, but this area just seemed to spike upwards in difficulty for me.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Artificer posted:

I got backstabbed by a Havel's with a pretty decently sized sword, but it did less than a quarter of my health. I'm wearing pretty light armor and stuff too. How does THAT happen?

Unupgraded/stupidly infused.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

FrancoFish posted:

They hit hard. I've tried heavy armor and light armor both. You are bad at making people mad.

But yeah, I'll try a bigger weapon. I've been fine up until now with the mace, but this area just seemed to spike upwards in difficulty for me.

I'm not trying to make you mad, you posted on a public forum and I'm responding. Armor makes a big difference, and if you're playing a complicated game like Dark Souls and saying something like "ugh loving numbers I don't want to learn this poo poo" then its just the wrong approach entirely. They're still gonna hit hard, but less so with armor.

What are your armor values with "light" and "heavy" armor? (no such thing)

If your armor value goes up significantly then you should take much less damage. Make sure you're swapping pieces around to come up with the highest overall value you can. You can see your armor value on your character sheet, there's separate values for different types of damage.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Zaphod42 posted:

Its true, the belfry can be annoying.

Have you done the other 3 paths of the game though? You can always put that boss fight off for a long time. And really you never have to do it, although I can understand if you do want to.
I know I can leave it off (I did on other playthroughs) but it makes the Lost Sinner's zone much less aggravating. I'll just leave her until I clear a bunch of other stuff. The Gargoyles were so much easier on my miracle runthrough.

For the get all sorceries/miracles/pyromancies achievements, do they need to be done on a single character or can I get e.g. half of the pyromancies on one character and the other half on another?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Is there any special reason the memory giants have the unique ability to hit you while you have invincibility frames from being sent flying? And halfway through the memory the same enemies get stronger?

Orv
May 4, 2011

Elysiume posted:

I know I can leave it off (I did on other playthroughs) but it makes the Lost Sinner's zone much less aggravating. I'll just leave her until I clear a bunch of other stuff. The Gargoyles were so much easier on my miracle runthrough.

For the get all sorceries/miracles/pyromancies achievements, do they need to be done on a single character or can I get e.g. half of the pyromancies on one character and the other half on another?

One character. They can be different character per achievement though.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

FrancoFish posted:

How many hitpoints do you have? Armor doesn't matter one bit if you're still at 1k hp (and if you want to melee you want more than 1k hp).

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Zaphod42 posted:

I'm not trying to make you mad, you posted on a public forum and I'm responding. Armor makes a big difference, and if you're playing a complicated game like Dark Souls and saying something like "ugh loving numbers I don't want to learn this poo poo" then its just the wrong approach entirely. They're still gonna hit hard, but less so with armor.

What are your armor values with "light" and "heavy" armor? (no such thing)

If your armor value goes up significantly then you should take much less damage. Make sure you're swapping pieces around to come up with the highest overall value you can. You can see your armor value on your character sheet, there's separate values for different types of damage.

I'm aware of all this, and I've already tried with both high values and low values, and yes, the damage is lower. It doesn't make a difference when it is 60% of my health instead of 80%, however, as I still die in two hits. It isn't so much not wanting to learn the numbers, its more that they haven't mattered all that much until now, and it's irritating that suddenly I can't play Fashion Souls anymore. The fact that I posted asking for help pretty much goes COMPLETELY against your assumption of me not wanting to learn, so.

And since some armor has high armor value and high weight, and some armor has low armor value and low weight, I'd go ahead and say that yes, there are "heavy" and "light" armors.

But you know, :goonsay: and whatnot. Thanks for the advice goons who aren't shitlords! I'll go grab the Defender's Greatsword and see how that does me.

Edit: ^^^^^^^^^

It is about 1k or so actually. I have been trying to keep stamina up as well as HP, and build STR and Faith with it all, so I may have spread myself too thin. Maybe I'll look into respeccing my points around some.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

buzzsaw.gif posted:

Someone on the Namco boards was complaining about the "forced PVP" and that he was very upset about the "constant invasions" he was getting when all he wanted to do was keep leveling up his character and doing co-op. He was something like level 260 or something ridiculous like that. That's just one person, but a LOT of people feel that way...like they want the game to be nothing but and RPG for solo and co-op play. Well...that is Borderlands. The pvp in ALL flavors (dickwraiths, gankers, duelers, chameleons, glass cannons, turtlepokers, etc.) is EXACTLY the thing that makes Dark Souls special.
You should really just speak for yourself there. I basically haven't PVP'd Dark Souls even once, because I could never be arsed to make a GFWL account, so everything I enjoyed about DS1 has nothing whatsoever to do with PVP. It's a complete and enjoyable game without any multiplayer at all. Some people just don't care.

Holy Cheese
Dec 6, 2006

FrancoFish posted:

it's irritating that suddenly I can't play Fashion Souls anymore.

You mocked the armoured ones. Now look at you.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

FrancoFish posted:

It is about 1k or so actually. I have been trying to keep stamina up as well as HP, and build STR and Faith with it all, so I may have spread myself too thin. Maybe I'll look into respeccing my points around some.

Wait, what are your stats? You should easily have over 1000 HP if you have at least 20 vigor.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Cardiovorax posted:

You should really just speak for yourself there. I basically haven't PVP'd Dark Souls even once, because I could never be arsed to make a GFWL account, so everything I enjoyed about DS1 has nothing whatsoever to do with PVP. It's a complete and enjoyable game without any multiplayer at all. Some people just don't care.

Yeah I agree, the pvp doesn't make or break this series. I don't mind the constant invasion threat nearly as much as I thought I would but the rats/bell cops being in the way of bosses kinda sucks.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

BobbyK posted:

Yeah, that sucks and is dumb. Co-oping is super fun and playing Dark Souls with friends is fun too. That's what I was going for.

Well they did get rid of the chat restriction (or at least I've seen friends of mine carry on parties on Xbox Live while co-oping DS2).

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Cardiovorax posted:

Yeah. It's just not a real problem is all because there aren't constant invasions in DS2. Cracked Red Eye Orbs are so unavailable in NG that your odds of being invaded are incredibly low. Your odds of constantly being invaded are astronomically low.

The only exceptions are A) If you're a sinner, yes you will get invaded by Team Vengeance all the time B) Belfries, which are optional and you know what you're getting into and C) Ratbro territory which is optional and you know what you're getting into.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

It's probably just a matter of taste. But I wouldn't say that PvP and PvP alone is what makes Dark Souls the game that it is; personally, I love the series because of the slowish yet deliberate combat system, the wonderful vistas, and a vaguely oppressive atmosphere that is further enforced by the knowledge that death is just one false step away. You could completely remove the PvP and I wouldn't mind.

Again, that's just my opinion. But, yeah, PvP isn't what makes or breaks this game.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Holy Cheese posted:

You mocked the armoured ones. Now look at you.

When did I do that?

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

FrancoFish posted:

Bump up your Vigor to at least 20, Strength can stay low (20ish) and use sunlight blade (hexer's/saint's hood I think bump the casts a bit, I haven't used sunlight because I've been using dark+resonant weapon on my weapons)

Not directed to FrancoFish but: You can farm the poo poo out of ghosts before Velstadt to get darknight/faint stones and the ocational spice, lowered my Sunlight spear to 42 (before I got my Dragon Chime) and Soul Geyser to 50 :v:

deimos fucked around with this message at 23:14 on May 7, 2014

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Captain Oblivious posted:

Yeah. It's just not a real problem is all because there aren't constant invasions in DS2. Cracked Red Eye Orbs are so unavailable in NG that your odds of being invaded are incredibly low. Your odds of constantly being invaded are astronomically low.

The only exceptions are A) If you're a sinner, yes you will get invaded by Team Vengeance all the time B) Belfries, which are optional and you know what you're getting into and C) Ratbro territory which is optional and you know what you're getting into.

Well I mean you pretty much have to get pretty drat close to Ratbro territory to get to places like Brightstone and the Gutter, so it's a little harder to avoid them 100% of the time.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Kimmalah posted:

Well I mean you pretty much have to get pretty drat close to Ratbro territory to get to places like Brightstone and the Gutter, so it's a little harder to avoid them 100% of the time.

Good thing Ratbro 'invasions' don't cost you anything.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Cracked Red Eye Orbs are so unavailable in NG

Blood Brothers need to get in the arena more! Cracked red eyes are unlimited there, and the arena doesn't yield any souls so you don't have to worry about your soul memory getting messed up.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Kimmalah posted:

Not in the slightest do you have to go into Ratbro territory.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
The problem I have with SM is that there's no real incentive to keep to a "build" mid to late game. There's no tradeoff for going for what should be the stat-heavy Hex route, or going all-in for stamina to wear bitching heavy armor, or anything, because you can just keep adding more souls until you can do everything. And since everything is SM-based, you're not even able to set an unofficial PvP level. There's no real need for the SM system at all with how they completely changed the accessibility of the red eye items and the scaling. Either that, or SM needs to be used for NG, then switch to SL for NG+.

Also, changing it to souls spent instead of souls earned just means that anyone who buys consumables, even for PvE, is loving themselves over SM-wise.

edit: vvvv Unless you have an infusion. If I apply Sunlight blade to a lightning weapon, the lightning component of the damage gets buffed something like 30%. Since that lightning damage scales with faith, you end up getting more of a buff the higher your faith is. Indirectly. This is basically why spellsword characters can hit harder than pure melee characters.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 23:18 on May 7, 2014

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

So, magic weapon and the like don't actually scale with your Int/Faith? Each tier just applies a flat upgrade?

Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?

Eh still an annoyance if you're not into PvP. At most they'll cost you estus/spell charges, could just let them off you on the spot to hold onto those.

While its true you lose nothing dying to rats. Its still a lovely experience, while I'm not saying it should be a walk in the park. But when things are just so stacked against you, it sours the game and I just care even less about PvP.

Drakes fucked around with this message at 23:23 on May 7, 2014

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Manatee Cannon posted:

Yeah I agree, the pvp doesn't make or break this series. I don't mind the constant invasion threat nearly as much as I thought I would but the rats/bell cops being in the way of bosses kinda sucks.
I don't understand how people can complain about the rat guys. You lose nothing but a bit of time if they kill you.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Yeah, the Ratbro's are really pretty inoffensive as covenants go. Yes the odds are stacked against you, especially if the ratbro is a dick. But you lose absolutely nothing for failure, and after one go you get ten minutes grace. And if you can't get to the fog wall in either of those zones within 10 minutes then you have bigger problems than hostile players.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Since +10 Great Club is B/B scaling when infused, does anyone know what the Large Club gets?

e: jesus quit bitching about ratbros, don't want to face them? Go offline.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Kimmalah posted:

You never at any point have to set a foot in areas covered by the rat covenant. You can get to the Gutter without ever going into Grave of Saints and the PvP part of Doors of Pharros is off to the side and unnecessary.

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS

FrancoFish posted:

Okay, look, I did some testing myself. I can 3 shot with Great Lightning Spears and I'm not even a faith build. I do have 40 faith though (high SL). I can 3 shot with Soul Spears. I can 2 shot with Great Fireballs. I can even 3 shot with Dark Orbs. So, I'm not sure what you're doing.

Get a chime with A scaling for lightning and upgrade that one. Look at the chimes you have, maybe you're using a bad one. Are you using Great Lightning Spears?

Oh and thanks for reminding me to infuse my chime. I better go do that right now.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012
Apparently when you try to invade, you're not restricted to the area you're using the red orb in.
I picked up some cracked red orbs in Huntsman's Copse just now and decided to use one because why not? I arrived in an area I haven't been to yet, but what I think was Dragon Shrine. After I returned to my own world after getting my face smashed in by the host and his phantom buddies, I couldn't find my bloodstain anywhere near me.
So are those 10.000 souls I had now on the other side of the gameworld? :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011

Raygereio posted:

Apparently when you try to invade, you're not restricted to the area you're using the red orb in.
I picked up some cracked red orbs in Huntsman's Copse just now and decided to use one because why not? I arrived in an area I haven't been to yet, but what I think was Dragon Shrine. After I returned to my own world after getting my face smashed in by the host and his phantom buddies, I couldn't find my bloodstain anywhere near me.
So are those 10.000 souls I had now on the other side of the gameworld? :psyduck:

They are where the orb took you from. So if you were in the middle of the Copse when you loaded out that's where they'll be.