Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Kalman posted:

Give The Goblin Emperor a shot - fun read, not building up a country so much as building up political control over a country unexpectedly inherited, but I think it might scratch the itch.
This reminded me that I'd been meaning to check out Goblin Quest by Jim C Hines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Someone in some random thread forever ago was talking about a fantasy story featuring a city towards which four colossal doom monsters were slowly treading from each cardinal direction. I can't remember much else about the story and am having a tough time tracking it down.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Velius posted:

Meanwhile I haven't bought a thing since Words of Radiance, and before that was Republic of Thieves or something. Do publishers assume more people read in summertime or something?

Yes, of course and with good reason. People buy books for summertime reading at the beach and for wintertime reading/gifting at Christmas (this alone makes up the majority of book sales in certain (= mainstream bestseller) categories). Book publishing is pretty similar to cinema releases in this regard.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Decius posted:

Yes, of course and with good reason. People buy books for summertime reading at the beach and for wintertime reading/gifting at Christmas (this alone makes up the majority of book sales in certain (= mainstream bestseller) categories). Book publishing is pretty similar to cinema releases in this regard.

Who reads at the beach? You'd get sand all through your book, ugh

Caerulius
Jun 23, 2007

This was a waste of $5.
Isn't that what cheap paper backs are for? And you need something to do while you're tanning, though this may be an unfamiliar experience to most goons.

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

Kalman posted:

Give The Goblin Emperor a shot - fun read, not building up a country so much as building up political control over a country unexpectedly inherited, but I think it might scratch the itch.

I just started this and am enjoying it a lot, but I'm puzzled why Maia would trust from word go a courier of the Lord Chancellor, because unless I'm misunderstanding the role of couriers I thought they were loyal to their "employers".

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

mango sentinel posted:

Someone in some random thread forever ago was talking about a fantasy story featuring a city towards which four colossal doom monsters were slowly treading from each cardinal direction. I can't remember much else about the story and am having a tough time tracking it down.

Maybe: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Night_Land ?

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

This is it! The Watchers are the giant monsters. Thank you.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
That sounds way ahead of its time. I remember hearing about it years ago but didn't think much of it, will have to check it out.

Is the Greg Bear novel written in homage to it any good?

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Neurosis posted:

Is the Greg Bear novel written in homage to it any good?

I haven't read it, but it's Greg Bear, and really, what are the odds.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

Neurosis posted:

That sounds way ahead of its time. I remember hearing about it years ago but didn't think much of it, will have to check it out.
There's a new-ish edition I just read named The Night Land, A Story Retold:
http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B004GKNM3W/ref=oh_d__o02_details_o02__i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It was excellent. Haven't read the Greg Bear stuff, I will check that out. John C. Wright also wrote a book of short stories in the same universe, but you know... John C. Wright.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Less Fat Luke posted:

There's a new-ish edition I just read named The Night Land, A Story Retold:
http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B004GKNM3W/ref=oh_d__o02_details_o02__i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It was excellent. Haven't read the Greg Bear stuff, I will check that out. John C. Wright also wrote a book of short stories in the same universe, but you know... John C. Wright.

I have a high tolerance for John C Wright's craziness, given that for his flaws he IS really imaginative and a decent writer, so will look into it anyway. Further, since it's Dying Earth the setting is sufficiently removed from the modern day the opportunity to disseminate horrible opinions should be reduced.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

I actually read the John Wright, and it wasn't horrible, but get it used.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I just finished the trilogy so I'm going to recommend this again:

The Darwin Elevator (The Dire Earth Cycle)

quote:

In the mid-23rd century, Darwin, Australia, stands as the last human city on Earth. The world has succumbed to an alien plague, with most of the population transformed into mindless, savage creatures. The planet’s refugees flock to Darwin, where a space elevator—created by the architects of this apocalypse, the Builders—emits a plague-suppressing aura.

Skyler Luiken has a rare immunity to the plague. Backed by an international crew of fellow “immunes,” he leads missions into the dangerous wasteland beyond the aura’s edge to find the resources Darwin needs to stave off collapse. But when the Elevator starts to malfunction, Skyler is tapped—along with the brilliant scientist, Dr. Tania Sharma—to solve the mystery of the failing alien technology and save the ragged remnants of humanity.

http://www.amazon.com/Darwin-Elevator-Dire-Earth-Cycle-ebook/dp/B00BABT9VY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1399232871&sr=8-1&keywords=darwin+elevator

It's fun and adventurous, but not too simple. It also doesn't really lean as heavily on the whole zombie thing as you'd think from the description and it borrows a lot of ideas from Big Dumb Object stories, Indiana Jones, Firefly and post apocalyptic fiction.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
^^^ Luke Skaywalker?

coyo7e posted:

This reminded me that I'd been meaning to check out Goblin Quest by Jim C Hines.
Picked this up, finished it - quick and fun read. Hines' prose lacks a little polish but less so than Glen Cook. The story is obviously going to be dumb, kind of cutesy, and funny. And it was, I really enjoyed it and picked up the second one right away.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

coyo7e posted:

^^^ Luke Skaywalker?

I believe they joke about it in the book so who knows what the author was thinking

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
I just finished reading The Goblin Emperor. Honestly, I really liked it. It's very light reading, but its optimistic and light-hearted tone were a really pleasant change from most of what you can get today. It's probably the only fantasy novel I've read in ages that didn't leave me feeling vaguely depressed and disgusted with everyone involved while reading it.

If there's any real criticism of it I have, it's that the glossary is about five pages long in tiny print and I spend at least a hundred pages just trying to learn all the made-up fantasy gobbledygook. There's only so much of that stuff I can stand. I also thought that the protagonist was almost a bit too nice. Nobody except a saint is that forgiving and compassionate with his enemies.

Still, it was entertaining and brightened my day a bit, which is really all I ask for from genre literature.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Neurosis posted:

I have a high tolerance for John C Wright's craziness, given that for his flaws he IS really imaginative and a decent writer, so will look into it anyway. Further, since it's Dying Earth the setting is sufficiently removed from the modern day the opportunity to disseminate horrible opinions should be reduced.

I dunno, the stories the genre was named after had some pretty dodgy stuff in them. Vance wasn't Piers Anthony, sure, but he could be a bit of a creepy old man.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Just finished up the Bob Moore series by Tom Andry.

Basically, the main character is a PI in a world of superheroes, and his ex wife is one of the top members of their version of the Justice League.

It's... surprisingly good. It gets pretty dark at times, but overall I have to say it was a pretty new and unique take on a superhero novel series. 99% of them that come out are about the heroes themselves and how hard they have to fight or what powers they have, etc. This is more detective based, cause the guy has no powers whatsoever. Still doesn't stop him from getting into trouble though.

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
SciFi sale at Audible till may 10th http://www.audible.com/mt/SuperSciFi_ALL

specklebang
Jun 7, 2013

Discount Philosopher and Cat Whisperer

Kraps posted:

SciFi sale at Audible till may 10th http://www.audible.com/mt/SuperSciFi_ALL

Thanks for the tip. Got Avogadro Corp. for $2.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
Just had VanderMeer's Authority delivered to my Kindle. My free time for the next day or two is now accounted for.

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"

Neurosis posted:

Just had VanderMeer's Authority delivered to my Kindle. My free time for the next day or two is now accounted for.
You mother fucker I was going to sleep at a regular time tonight.

Donald Duck
Apr 2, 2007
Does anyone know what the difference between the two Kindle versions of The Golem and the Djinni are?

Kindle Edition $10.42
Kindle Edition, August 15, 2013 $6.74

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

Donald Duck posted:

Does anyone know what the difference between the two Kindle versions of The Golem and the Djinni are?

Kindle Edition $10.42

What Amazon store is this? I only see one on the US store here: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B008QXVDJ0/

See if they're from different publishers, otherwise I'd probably just download a sample of the cheaper one to see if there's any glaring problems with formatting and go for it. Long ago Amazon often had different kindle versions for sale of a book, but seemed to have stopped that for the most part and only one version would be available. When I bought Tim Powers' On Stranger Tides a couple years ago or so there were two kindle versions but from different publishers, that may be the same reason why you see two versions whichever Amazon store you're looking at.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Donald Duck posted:

Kindle Edition $10.42

Usually that's simply two different publishers, I find that very often here on European Amazon - the one is the US published Kindle version imported and the other the UK version. Sometimes the more expensive one has an earlier release date, like here, where the more expensive one was released in April, the cheaper in August. Oddly both by the same publisher it seems.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
John C Wright wrote an article about Heinlein and Leftist Thought Police. It's pretty lol.

Mandragora
Sep 14, 2006

Resembles a Pirate Captain

Megazver posted:

John C Wright wrote an article about Heinlein and Leftist Thought Police. It's pretty lol.

Jesus christ, this dude.

A good reply in that thread posted:

Yes, Orson Scott Card really expressed the mildest possible opposition towards gay marriage. What could possibly be milder than "Regardless of law, marriage has only one definition, and any government that attempts to change it is my mortal enemy. I will act to destroy that government and bring it down, so it can be replaced with a government that will respect and support marriage".

Poor Orson. His books are still published by one of the biggest publishers in the field, he is still making millions, but because people boycotted his comics, it is a tragedy. Give me a break.

Poor Theodore Beale, the innocent guy so unfairly demonised by his opponents. All he does is regularly posting stuff like "feminists are worse than Nazis", that there is no such thing as marital rape, that the Talibans are doing the right thing by murdering women who try to get an education. He obviously seems like a great guy, unfairly smeared by his opponents. It is a travesty that such a awesome person was thrown out of a professional organisation for a blatant personal and racist attack on another member on the official twitter account of the organisation.

John C Wright posted:

Let us assume for the sake of argument that Card, Beale, Ashley all have exactly the opinions as Mr Selig and Mr Barton characterize them: homophobic, racist, and misogynist. Are the private opinions of the accused a sufficient warrant for public boycotts, expulsions, and witchhunts, followed by an (apparently) neverending and unforgiving ritual of public denunciation?

Y...yes?

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance

Mandragora posted:

Jesus christ, this dude.

Y...yes?

What I've learned so far is that rhetorical questions from people obsessed with the PC police terrorism are really easily answered.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Megazver posted:

For some reason I misread this as "Jim C. Hines wrote an article" and was very confused at first. Then I realized "Oh, it's John C. Wright."

When you're reading John C. Wright you have to always take this into account:

quote:

I am more than a presumably rational individual, I am a champion of atheism who gave arguments in favor of atheism so convincing that three of my friends gave up their religious belief due to my persuasive reasoning powers, and my father stopped going to church.

Upon concluding through a torturous and decades-long and remorseless process of logic that all my fellow atheists were horribly comically wrong about every basic point of philosophy, ethics and logic, and my hated enemies the Christians were right, I wondered how this could be. The data did not match the model.

Being a philosopher and not a poseur, I put the matter to an empirical test.

For the first time in my life, I prayed, and said. “Dear God. There is no logical way you could possibly exist, and even if you appeared before me in the flesh, I would call it an hallucination. So I can think of no possible way, no matter what the evidence and no matter how clear it was, that you could prove your existence to me. But the Christians claim you are benevolent, and that my failure to believe in you inevitably will drat me. If, as they claim, you care whether or not I am damned, and if, as they claim, you are all wise and all powerful, you can prove to me that you exist even though I am confident such a thing is logically impossible. Thanking you in advance for your cooperation in this matter, John C. Wright.” — and then my mind was at rest. I had done all I needed to do honestly to maintain my stature as someone, not who claimed to be logical, objective and openminded, but who was logical, objective, and openminded.

Three days later, with no warning, I had a heart attack, and was lying on the floor, screaming and dying.

-Then I was saved from certain death by faith-healing, after which–

-I felt the Holy Spirit enter my body, after which–

-became immediately aware of my soul, a part of myself which, until that time, I reasoned and thought did not exist-

-I was visited by the Virgin Mary, her son, and His Father-

-not to mention various other spirits and ghosts over a period of several days–

-including periods of divine ecstasy, and an awareness of the mystical oneness of the universe-

-And a week or so after that I had a religious experience where I entered the mind of God and saw the indescribable simplicity and complexity, love, humor and majesty of His thought, and I understood the joy beyond understanding and comprehended the underlying unity of all things, and the paradox of determinism and free will was made clear to me, as was the symphonic nature of prophecy. I was shown the structure of time and space.

-And then Christ in a vision told me that He would be my judge, and that God judges no man. I mentioned this event to my wife. Then about a month later, when I was reading the Bible for the first time beyond the unavoidable minimum assigned in school, I came across the passage in the book of John, a passage I had never seen before, and to which no Christian in my hearing had ever made reference, which said the same thing in the same words.

-And then I have had perhaps a dozen or two dozen prayers miraculously answered, so much so that I now regard it as a normal routine rather than some extraordinary act of faith.

So I would say my snide little prayer was answered with much more than I had asked, and I was given not just evidence, and not just overwhelming evidence, but joy unspeakable and life eternal.

(I also regard this overwhelming deluge of evidence to be shameful before my fellow Christian, since the saying told to Doubting Thomas, blessing those who believe without seeing, is a blessing denied me. In hindsight, if only I had not been so arrogant, I could have glanced around at the earth and sky, and seen the intricacy, wonder, and beauty of nature, regarded the unanswerable authority of the conscience within me, and known that I was a created being inside a created cosmos, not a random sandheap blown for a season into a meaningless shape by blind winds. Any child can see it, and all children do.)

To me, the universe was death row, and I was a condemned prisoner who believed everything outside death row was delusion and wishful nonsense — and then I got a call from the governor of the universe, commuting my sentence. I will live forever. As will we all. This was my repayment for a life spent in blasphemy and hatred and slander against God. Instead of smiting me as I damned well deserved, He spared me, and exulted me, and showered me with grace.

I was converted.

http://www.scifiwright.com/2011/09/a-question-i-never-tire-of-answering/

The man literally sees visions. I mean, I'm not judging anyone's belief system here, and I'm not saying that all Christians are misogynists or racist or anything like that, but if you're basing your actions and beliefs on visions only you can see, you may not find a lot of people agreeing with you. Whatever the guy is saying, he's not operating from premises that are based on evidence anyone else can see. He's operating based on his visions.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
When people say Wright has gone insane I didn't know they meant it that literally.

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I just got Assassin's Apprentice by Robin Hobb for 50c at the library thanks to this thread (mostly the NPR map at the beginning). The character names, judging from the back, are ridiculous: "Prince Chivalry", "King Shrewd"

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Alec Eiffel posted:

I just got Assassin's Apprentice by Robin Hobb for 50c at the library thanks to this thread (mostly the NPR map at the beginning). The character names, judging from the back, are ridiculous: "Prince Chivalry", "King Shrewd"

Not any more absurd in principle than Faith, Hope, Charity, August, Earnest, Clement, or any number of other virtues used as names in any language.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

For some reason I misread this as "Jim C. Hines wrote an article" and was very confused at first. Then I realized "Oh, it's John C. Wright."

When you're reading John C. Wright you have to always take this into account:

http://www.scifiwright.com/2011/09/a-question-i-never-tire-of-answering/

The man literally sees visions. I mean, I'm not judging anyone's belief system here, and I'm not saying that all Christians are misogynists or racist or anything like that, but if you're basing your actions and beliefs on visions only you can see, you may not find a lot of people agreeing with you. Whatever the guy is saying, he's not operating from premises that are based on evidence anyone else can see. He's operating based on his visions.

Isn't that entire big quote basically summed up as "No atheists in a foxhole"?

I WAS EUPHORIC AND TIPPING ME FEDORA AND THEN SUDDENLY 40 YEARS OF DORITOS AND POOR HEALTH CHOICES MADE ME REALIZE I WAS MORTAL AND NEEDED TO SPEND MY REMAINING TIME NOT BEING AN ATHEIST AND ALSO COMPLAINING ABOUT THE GAYS.

I just... gently caress man, I hate seeing when authors post poo poo online and let me know they are loving crazy. It's so god damned hard to enjoy the books after that, and it taints the fun you had when you read em before reading that kinda stuff.

I dunno if it's just the ME ME ME ME mentality of the internet where people need to spout off about their beliefs regarding every god damned thing on the planet, but drat I wish agents had a little zapper button that would shock em when they go to post up something that is completely irrelevant to my enjoyment of the book, and yes I understand the irony in this statement.

It's just... drat I just wanna read books man. I don't wanna worry about if I'm supporting some asshat who hates poo poo I like, or likes poo poo I hate.

I was always taught the things you don't discuss are easy. Politics, religion, and the mate of the person you are talking to. Keeps it pretty simple. No arguments, no freaking out, no backing away slowly and wondering why the hell they felt the need to share a vision with me.

That being said, I haven't read any of his books (to my knowledge anyway), but maybe being a bit off his rocker is what let's him be a successful sci fi writer?

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
I never get why these guys are so opposed to having a more diverse crowd in a field they claim to love. Cross-Atlantic SFF is big in part because the viewpoint and frame of reference of the author on the other side of the pond is so different, it contributes to the feel of the worldbuilding, and makes the sense of "this is another place" seem that much more real. Now take it a step further. Do you think the dystopia envisioned by a woman from the slums of India is going to look anything like the standard "nazis with the serial numbers filed off" thing we see here? Do you think future sexual politics from a Thai transwoman is going to look anything like what is in the books coming out of Baen these days? Do you think that an Iranian man's vision of a hopeful future is going to be identical to the "singularity aka rapture of the white nerds" we see from Ace? Do you think an epic fantasy from a Sudanese man who grew up with Dinka history instead of European feudalism is going to be your standard Tolkien knockoff?

"We" completely upended visions of dystopia. And that is from Russia, pretty close to the usual American-European cultural norms. The sheer variety and growth the field could see from reaching afield to those with vastly different experiences is astounding. If you love the body of work, it boggles my mind that you wouldn't want to tap into that.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
e: nm but I strongly agree with you!

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Isn't that entire big quote basically summed up as "No atheists in a foxhole"?

. . .
It's just... drat I just wanna read books man. I don't wanna worry about if I'm supporting some asshat who hates poo poo I like, or likes poo poo I hate.

. . .

That being said, I haven't read any of his books (to my knowledge anyway), but maybe being a bit off his rocker is what let's him be a successful sci fi writer?

It may be. Some of his books are legit good and some are what happens when a crazy person reads too much Heinlein.

Personally I give someone like Wright, who legitimately sees actual visions, a lot more leeway than someone like Card who's just a homophobe. It ain't Wright's fault, his brain broke. If I buy Wright's books I'm helping out a very creative person who happens to have a brain disorder.

Edit: I realize this is denying Wright agency.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Alec Eiffel posted:

Nobles in this series are named after virtues that their parents hope they come to possess. Shrewd, Patience, Chivalry, Verity, August, etc.

Commoners are much more likely to be named "Tom" or "Molly" or the like.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

It may be. Some of his books are legit good and some are what happens when a crazy person reads too much Heinlein.

Personally I give someone like Wright, who legitimately sees actual visions, a lot more leeway than someone like Card who's just a homophobe. It ain't Wright's fault, his brain broke. If I buy Wright's books I'm helping out a very creative person who happens to have a brain disorder.

Edit: I realize this is denying Wright agency.

Having read all the series Wright has published: read the sci-fi, it's good, ignore the fantasy, it's poo poo. I was aware he had vile opinions but did not know he was actually insane. Huh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I don't think the vision stuff makes him insane, it's just your typical near-death experience type stuff that some people experience when they almost die. The weird part is him interpreting the experience to mean he should became a huge dickwad.