Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Wendell posted:

Haha, that hag radish is awesome. But Japanese game companies have a hard time leaving anything un-sexified.

Hah, "Japanese" game companies have nothing to do with it. Reminder that Flemeth, from Dragon Age, went from

to

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

This Jacket Is Me
Jan 29, 2009
That's one sexy witch

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
I much, much more preferred the crazy old hag look. Much better way for a Dragon to hide, I think.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

ImpAtom posted:

I can't remember the exact timeskip between Arc 1 and Arc II but Arc himself is around 16 in the first game. Elc is 14-15 years old in Arc II.

That sounds right to me, but I'm always thrown by the fact Elk has his own apartment. I suppose it makes more sense because Elk isn't an old man in III and that's 15 years later, I think?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

ImpAtom posted:

There is an old and withered plant-woman monster who joins your party. Later on she turns (or returns) into a young plant woman monster instead.

She goes from

to

I found the scene where it happens. I like how the other lady in the group basically goes, "That's not even FAIR!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pCHgFhjX1I

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Any suggestions for rpgs that integrate ccg mechanics in an interesting way? More than just throwing out a card for a special ability but actually has deck building or other MTG-ish stuff (and isn't just a story mode attached to a ccg game like Steam MTG).

BloodWulfe
Mar 18, 2003
Baten Kaitos hits the right mix of card battle and JRPG for me. It's your traditional JRPG experience, but you collect cards and construct decks, and the battle system is a turn-based "draw cards from your deck, use cards for actions" sort of thing. Lost Kingdoms is also fun, but that's real-time card battling. Both are for the Gamecube and feature card collecting and deck building elements.

Phantom Dust is even more action RPG, but also a really great real-time card battler with deck building.

I also love Culdcept and would recommend that if you like the thought of MTG and Monopoly smushed into one game.

BloodWulfe fucked around with this message at 23:34 on May 7, 2014

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
A warning that if you play Baten Kaitos you should turn the voice acting off, and probably completely ignore the plot.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
How do these PS3 RPGs stack up: Tales of Xillia, Dragon's Crown, Tales of Graces f, Ni No Kuni, Disgaea 3, Disgaea 4. Got a PS3 and I'm looking for an RPG to sink my teeth into.

BloodWulfe
Mar 18, 2003

cheetah7071 posted:

A warning that if you play Baten Kaitos you should turn the voice acting off, and probably completely ignore the plot.

Are you nuts? The horrible and for some reason very tinny voice acting is part of the experience.

drat! ... THE bastards.

It's unthinkable ... to act? against! the empire?!

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

CVagts posted:

How do these PS3 RPGs stack up: Tales of Xillia, Dragon's Crown, Tales of Graces f, Ni No Kuni, Disgaea 3, Disgaea 4. Got a PS3 and I'm looking for an RPG to sink my teeth into.

Ni no Kuni is pretty and has fantastic VA, but its gameplay is tedious as gently caress and it seems to stack all of the quality at the beginning and the end. Get it for a steep discount and play on easy or don't bother.

Disgaea 4 is the best in the series, but Disgaea has a pretty specific niche; it's an SRPG that encourages you to break it over your knee (though this is by no means necessary until the postgame) and its writing tends to prioritize comedy over plot, though D4 in particular has a very good balance of both. I really enjoy the game, anyway. Disgaea 3 is still fun, but nowhere near as good.

Haven't played either Tales game or Dragon's Crown.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

CVagts posted:

Ni no Kuni is bad, and King Solomon covered the Disgaeas pretty well.

Both Tales games are good, but have different strengths and weaknesses. Graces f has fantastic gameplay, but it takes a while to get going and the plot is super dumb, even if the characters are fun (in skits, not so much during the main plot). Xillia is more consistent; the gameplay is worse but still good, while the plot is better if not fantastic. Ending is rushed though.

cheetah7071 posted:

Kalas betraying the party remains a pretty rad twist. Also said twist features the best bad voice acting in the game.

Cake Attack fucked around with this message at 00:10 on May 8, 2014

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

CVagts posted:

Tales of Grace F has a better combat system but worse everything else. Xillia is overall the better game even if the combat isn't quite as good. Tales of Graces f isn't bad or anything but the combat system outshines the rest of the product.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

BloodWulfe posted:

very tinny voice acting is part of the experience.

I've heard the tin can effect goes away if you set the sound output to Mono or Surround but I've never checked if that's true.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

It also goes away the closer Kalas is to the Guardian Spirit (i.e you) which is the very definition of neat in theory, but terrible in execution.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Dragon's Crown is a fun side-scrolling beat-em-up. Think Odin Sphere, but with the egregious Sorceress boobs. Game itself is pretty fun, but utterly straightforward - no plot twists, only seven stages to play, although each have two paths there's no randomization at all, it's just bashing and smashing.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

CVagts posted:

The choice is basically between Graces and Xillia if you want an actual RPG. Graces's combat is better and it has some pretty funny skits (little side conversations between the characters), but the plot is pretty awful. Not like, offensive or anything, just really terribly written.

Xillia's combat is a bit worse (though still good), the plot is a bit better (average JRPG plot with a few really good characters and moments), and the skits aren't as consistently amazing but have their moments. Xillia has the problem of feeling a little unfinished though - there's two character choices at the start but it's basically the same thing 99% of the time, and it reuses environments a decent amount.

BloodWulfe
Mar 18, 2003

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

I've heard the tin can effect goes away if you set the sound output to Mono or Surround but I've never checked if that's true.

Cake Attack posted:

It also goes away the closer Kalas is to the Guardian Spirit (i.e you) which is the very definition of neat in theory, but terrible in execution.
:eyepop:

I always thought the sole reason was simply "lovely audio engineering," though that's probably still part of it.

Rather than reiterate what's been covered, I'll just say that I enjoyed Graces more than Xillia. Both games are fun JRPGs though, so it's not like picking one over the other will be disastrous.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Dragon's Crown is loads of fun with friends.

Forest Thief Pud
Dec 26, 2011

CVagts posted:

It really depends on what your really looking for in terms of your RPG experience. The Tales games are known for their action based combat engines more that anything else, and both Xillia and Graces f offer very different takes on it. Xillia is closer to the Tales games that made it out of Japan before it, in case you want a point of reference/something you've played before.

Dragon's Crown is honestly more of a beat-em-up with a some RPG elements, but it's an absolute blast if you can really get into it. There's some variety between the characters in how they play if you want to do multiple character playthoughs, along with multiple difficulties if you really get attached to one character type. The game itself got a lot of good updates with balance patches, QoL changes, and even an additional difficulty, but I think they've trickled out for now.

I personally didn't like Disgaea 3's main story and characters so I dumped it 3/4ths of the way through, and never really found NIS's post-game content worth sticking around for, but if you like SRPGs and can get into the massive post-game, you could do worst. Disgaea 4 (and Disgaea D2) are likely just the same formula with additional improvements that come with later games, but I know jack poo poo about either, but the story honestly sounds a lot better.

goldjas
Feb 22, 2009

I HATE ALL FORMS OF FUN AND ENTERTAINMENT. I HATE BEAUTY. I AM GOLDJAS.
I couldn't get into Disgaea D2 at all, I think Disgaea 4 is the best in the series for overall combination of plot / mechanics/like able characters (Troy Baker VAing a Vampire Lord who eats sardines as the main character is hard to argue with).

Edit: Oh yeah sardines.

goldjas fucked around with this message at 01:49 on May 8, 2014

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Valvatorez is seriously a legitimately funny character, and it's bizarre because if you write him down he sounds kind of annoying, but the trick is he isn't actually that dedicated to the SARDIIINES gimmick. He has lots of other little jokes outside of that, like how easily he gets swept up by the antagonists's random speeches, or his deal with promises. He's just a fun character. More JRPG leads need to be like that.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Thanks. Culdcept looks too board game but the others look interesting. It's a shame there's no original Xbox emulator for upscaling Phantom Dust.

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore
I picked up Bound by Flame since I wanted a new rpg. It's basically off-brand Witcher, from the traps, the crafting, the crafting, and the grim-dark.

So far my assessment is "not horrible"

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
I just binged on Front Mission 4 and 5 and I'm so loving mad they aren't more popular. They are just so much fun. The setting and atmosphere are great, the combat is great, the music is great. What I wouldn't give for a next gen, proper Front Mission. Hell, a total HD remake of FM3 would be incredible on its own.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
I really need to replay FM4 and see if that game was actually any good, it's been so long for me.

Yeah FM5...I could probably do a 4th replay of FM5 at this point. I just love doing all the fights where https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zEH2OMvJNmw plays as the music, cause it's so good.

Also despite all of the FM5 I've played, I still have not reached the end of the rogue like mode.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Hackan Slash posted:

I picked up Bound by Flame since I wanted a new rpg. It's basically off-brand Witcher, from the traps, the crafting, the crafting, and the grim-dark.

So far my assessment is "not horrible"

Reviews were absolutely scathing, but I'm enjoying it quite a bit so far. Considering it was only like $30 and its not exactly a AAA release, I'm pretty happy with it too far.

But video game journalism is the scum of the earth and should be treated appropriately.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Rascyc posted:

I really need to replay FM4 and see if that game was actually any good, it's been so long for me.

Yeah FM5...I could probably do a 4th replay of FM5 at this point. I just love doing all the fights where https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zEH2OMvJNmw plays as the music, cause it's so good.

Also despite all of the FM5 I've played, I still have not reached the end of the rogue like mode.

FM4 is indeed very good. It's different and at points the combat is less polished than FM5 but it's good. The text a bit fuzzy on my LED TV though. I just like everything about the series, from the setting on up. I'd like a game that begins post-FM3 so some newer, higher tech is available. The Particle beam from 3 is The Coolest Thing.

And you're not kidding about the music. The series has some awesome tracks. That one you posted reminds me of the music that plays in the final mission of FM4: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eyw-S9H6Ya8. I'll also never get tired of Lock and Load II: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7GOESJveTk.

BloodWulfe
Mar 18, 2003

Rascyc posted:

Front Mission 4 is a great game that aged pretty well. I feel that some of the hate it received was because it was a departure from Front Mission 3, which of course was a departure itself from the previous FM games we hadn't yet seen localized.

The plot is some goofy fun (it was the europeans! no wait, the russians! no wait, it was really old man henderson down at the abandoned amusement park!), the gameplay is still really solid, and I personally liked the alternating characters. I would've loved a redux of the "pick between two character storylines" from FM3, but that seemed prohibitively expensive to develop even back then.

Levantine posted:

And you're not kidding about the music. The series has some awesome tracks.

So good. :allears: You can't listen to Pride and Honor without the lead-in track for it though. It builds itself up and then blends perfectly into the "some intense poo poo is happening now" battle track.

Knights of Steel is another great FM4 battle track, and Keepers of Freedom might be my favorite battle track from FM5.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.

cheetah7071 posted:

Baten Kaitos cutscenes are basically the video game version of movies that are so bad they're good. Keep the voice acting on full volume to get the whole experience. Also the game play starts off slow, but it's got a solid difficulty curve and gets really hectic at the end. I enjoyed it quite a bit.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

Levantine posted:

I just binged on Front Mission 4 and 5 and I'm so loving mad they aren't more popular. They are just so much fun. The setting and atmosphere are great, the combat is great, the music is great. What I wouldn't give for a next gen, proper Front Mission. Hell, a total HD remake of FM3 would be incredible on its own.

blame squaresoft

I want to make a game...and not market it..... - saw 8

yeah I've been going on about how great fm5 is for years but clowns would rather play disgaea.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

dude789 posted:

Baten Kaitos cutscenes are basically the video game version of movies that are so bad they're good. Keep the voice acting on full volume to get the whole experience. Also the game play starts off slow, but it's got a solid difficulty curve and gets really hectic at the end. I enjoyed it quite a bit.

I thought that was Arc Rise Fantasia.

BloodWulfe
Mar 18, 2003

GulagDolls posted:

blame squaresoft

I want to make a game...and not market it..... - saw 8

yeah I've been going on about how great fm5 is for years but clowns would rather play disgaea.

The last proper Front Mission game was nine years ago.

If they were to make a new entry in the series it would almost certainly be another mobile title.

:(

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The Taint Reaper posted:

I thought that was Arc Rise Fantasia.

Looks like the devil is beating his wife!!

Catalina
May 20, 2008

I got into Atelier Rorona and Atelier Totori for PS3 several years ago, and found them to be really good RPG's that had an appeal to me as a female gamer. I quit after Totori, because the creepy fanservice of really underage girls (implied drunken molestation from an older female character as well as, "it's not her panties if it's a tutu!")

The designs for the newer Alchemist games are cute and drawing me in. :negative: This series had such good aspects of games for girls. I want to confirm: is the intended audience still split right down the middle between "games for females" and "games for people who want fanservice of underage girls"? Or by some miracle, is the fanservice not as prevalent?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Catalina posted:

I got into Atelier Rorona and Atelier Totori for PS3 several years ago, and found them to be really good RPG's that had an appeal to me as a female gamer. I quit after Totori, because the creepy fanservice of really underage girls (implied drunken molestation from an older female character as well as, "it's not her panties if it's a tutu!")

The designs for the newer Alchemist games are cute and drawing me in. :negative: This series had such good aspects of games for girls. I want to confirm: is the intended audience still split right down the middle between "games for females" and "games for people who want fanservice of underage girls"? Or by some miracle, is the fanservice not as prevalent?

The newer ones are a lot better. Atelier Escha & Logy basically has none at all and it's even rated E10 instead of T like the rest of the games. Ayesha, unfortunately, still has some but it isn't as bad. E&L is the one I'd go for though. It seriously manages to avoid pretty much all of that stuff.

In general, I think E&L manages to do a lot better at being accessible and playable than the other recent games in the franchise. I'd say the same for Ayesha but there's one party member who gets a bit over the line. It's still a step up from Meruru, which is the other one I played, but if I had to pick between the two, I'd pick E&L every time.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 03:45 on May 14, 2014

Catalina
May 20, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

The newer ones are a lot better. Atelier Escha & Logy basically has none at all and it's even rated E10 instead of T like the rest of the games. Ayesha, unfortunately, still has some but it isn't as bad. E&L is the one I'd go for though. It seriously manages to avoid pretty much all of that stuff.

In general, I think E&L manages to do a lot better at being accessible and playable than the other recent games in the franchise. I'd say the same for Ayesha but there's one party member who gets a bit over the line. It's still a step up from Meruru, which is the other one I played.

Oh my God you have no idea how happy I am right now! I'll look up Atelier Escha and Logy! I'll check out Ayesha, too. I can stand a bit of fanservice in my game. Fire Emblem: Awakening wasn't really that much of a problem, for instance.

I actually played Rorona and Totori with my mother hanging out. Her point of view as someone much older was really interesting. She thought it was great to have a story where the girls and women could be the main characters going on adventures, as well as having characters who could openly be lesbian or bisexual. :3:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Catalina posted:

Oh my God you have no idea how happy I am right now! I'll look up Atelier Escha and Logy! I'll check out Ayesha, too. I can stand a bit of fanservice in my game. Fire Emblem: Awakening wasn't really that much of a problem, for instance.

I actually played Rorona and Totori with my mother hanging out. Her point of view as someone much older was really interesting. She thought it was great to have a story where the girls and women could be the main characters going on adventures, as well as having characters who could openly be lesbian or bisexual. :3:

I'd say the worst things with regards to Atelier Ayesha is that there are some pretty unsubtle boob jokes, one scene where a character mentions that someone groped her rear end, and an optional hot tub scene that I managed to miss entirely on my playthrough. I freely admit I could have missed some scenes but if so they're pretty out of the way. It strikes me as about as tame as Persona or, yeah, Fire Emblem: Awakening.

The only thing I'd warn about with regards to starting with E&L first is that E&L pretty unashamedly spoils the story of Ayesha and features several characters who debuted there. However it isn't a case where you need to know the previous game or anything, several characters just talk about the events from time to time.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

ImpAtom posted:

Basically, the Dusk games cleave much closer to the original pentalogy in terms of tone, content and characterization, despite being about the end of the world instead of simply learning alchemy and doing cool things. :v: I really like them and I'm glad Gust seems to have gotten the unnecessary voyeurism out of their systems with the Arland games (even though the Arland games do have a lot of great stuff as well).

Of course they still make me pine for a release of the actual original pentalogy, despite those games being monstrously out of date in terms of mechanics at this point. Maybe someday.

But yeah the Dusk series of Atelier games own, get on that poo poo, and be full of anticipation for Alchemists of the Dusky Seas, since that's also likely to own bones and it seems like the European branch of TK, at least, is pretty dedicated to getting these translated and released in all major English-speaking regions. (TK America is a weird, weird beast but that's a story for another day.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
E&L owns megabones and all of the characters are pretty rad. It's way more structured than any other Atelier, giving you a task every three months with a bunch of optional stuff as well. It makes it a lot easier to jump into, and also keeps you from feeling like you're unsure if you wasted a bunch of time not making progress.