Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Dr Pepper posted:

This isn't true at all.

Honen is not near as water route filled as people like to say.

It is, though. It's not all water, but nobody said anything like that. There's at least three cities you have to surf to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Zuzie posted:

Are you guys positive that these games actually take place in Hoenn? Groudon and Kyogre both have the ability to create new landmasses and seas, so maybe its possible that they made a new land that's similar but not quite Hoenn? :shepface:

From the look at the (slim) anouncment article on the pokemon website it's a remake. Which I'm completely OK with.

Also: to the people who hate Hoenn :frogout:

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Like to make Gen III playable literally all they have to do in the first city when they hand you Surf (or is it the second? forget) is give you some sort of key item that when toggled on flat out turns off random encounters. That's it. Done.

I mean it won't fix the myriad other problems those games had but it'll make it not an active aggravation to play.

JesusLovesRonwell
Aug 12, 2004

I want to touch my Rosalina-sama all over~

<3<3<3

Zuzie posted:

Are you guys positive that these games actually take place in Hoenn? Groudon and Kyogre both have the ability to create new landmasses and seas, so maybe its possible that they made a new land that's similar but not quite Hoenn? :shepface:

Yeah pretty sure since it seemed like XY went out of its way to draw attention to Hoenn. But the trailer does say an exciting new adventure, so maybe it's a pseudo-sequel like BW2?

It would be cool if Nintendo/GF tried something new though, if this is a remake. Megas are great and all, but it'd be cool to see some totally new Pokemon as well, like on a previously undiscovered island in the Hoenn region or something.

Anyway, I'm excited about what that weird totem thing from XY does. Access to some Legendary event?

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

The biggest problem RSE had was that it came out just as the people who played Gen 1 as kids were growing older.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Occupation posted:

Like to make Gen III playable literally all they have to do in the first city when they hand you Surf (or is it the second? forget) is give you some sort of key item that when toggled on flat out turns off random encounters. That's it. Done.

I mean it won't fix the myriad other problems those games had but it'll make it not an active aggravation to play.

That won't stop water routes from being dull, though. All there is to look at 90% of the time is water and rocks, even without the constant peliper/tentacool attacks. I liked gen 3 but yeah it had issues.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I want to have an honest conversation with whoever thought Dive was a good idea.

Because wow that was completely and utterly the opposite of that.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

You don't get Surf until gym five.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
Hoenn had some of the most beautiful and well-made environments, but also some of the dullest. Giving some water routes a bit more visual punch would go a long way toward making them feel less dull.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Kelp Plankton posted:

It'll be nice to play Gen3 in a world where people actually like Pokemon instead of as the lone weird kid in highschool who Still Plays Pokemon, What A Weirdo. Had nobody to trade with except my little brother, and I never got to see anyone else's hideouts or anything. Pokemon was just not cool during the GBA's lifespan. Thanks for bringing it back, DS.
As always, Awkward Zombie illustrates this excellently.

:allears:

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

I just dug out my copy of X in celebration of this news. Oh my. I am WAY behind the times; last time I played people were still just figuring out how incredible Gengar's mega evolution is.

Anyone else do this and realize how much catching up they have to do?

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

That is exactly my experience with it.

I hope they include a GBA player/tuner item so we can hear the old tracks too. That was the coolest item in HG/SS and I definitely had it on all the time.

Line Feed
Sep 7, 2012

Seeds taste better with friends.

FPzero posted:

That is exactly my experience with it.

I hope they include a GBA player/tuner item so we can hear the old tracks too. That was the coolest item in HG/SS and I definitely had it on all the time.

They should also add a Trumpet Tuner which makes all the music even more trumpety than ever before, and also replaces all sound effects with more trumpets.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

FPzero posted:

They should also bring Pokémon following you around from HG/SS back in OR/AS.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Occupation posted:

I want to have an honest conversation with whoever thought Dive was a good idea.

Because wow that was completely and utterly the opposite of that.

I actually preferred Dive over Surf in Emerald. Dive only had encounters in the underwater grass and I really liked the music.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

The only reason I don't like Dive is because I forever associate it with Relicanth hunting. God, that took me forever as a kid.

Badingading
Sep 2, 2011

Line Feed posted:

They should also add a Trumpet Tuner which makes all the music even more trumpety than ever before, and also replaces all sound effects with more trumpets.

They should just give you a slider that allows you to tune how much of the soundtrack consists of trumpets.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

I'm looking forward to being able to get Deoxys legitimately again. I got it WAY back in the day from Johnson Space Center and would LOOOOVE that!

Nethilia
Oct 17, 2012

Hullabalooza '96
Easily Depressed
Teenagers Edition

Dr Pepper posted:

The biggest problem RSE had was that it came out just as the people who played Gen 1 as kids were growing older.

Pretty much this. I was in college (about to graduate) when Ruby/Sapphire came out, so I didn't have growing pains about it not being "cool" to play Pokemon anymore. Plus Hoenn has one of my top five favorite gym leaders.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Widestancer posted:

I'm looking forward to being able to get Deoxys legitimately again. I got it WAY back in the day from Johnson Space Center and would LOOOOVE that!

Pokémon Channel 2 should be the only way for the player to unlock Jarachi in OR/AS in my opinion.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

JordanKai posted:

Pokémon Channel 2 should be the only way for the player to unlock Jarachi in OR/AS in my opinion.

I actually played the first one as well as Gales of Darkness :o WEATHER REPORTS!

One of the neatest things about this latest gen is how much easier special stuff is to unlock. The only reason I as an expat living overseas was even able to get Deoxys was because of a vacation we were on; the digital distribution is something Nintendo really needs to adopt more. But that's Nintendo making smart decisions with online play!

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

JordanKai posted:

Nah, bring it full circle: Pokemon Colosseum 2 Bonus Disc.:getin: (I seem to be using that emoticon a lot. What the hell, it's R/S remakes, it's appropriate.)

Widestancer posted:

Birth Island is actually accessible in Emerald, so they might have Deoxys there in the remakes.

Purple D. Link
May 17, 2011

HE IS THE HERO

Dr Pepper posted:

This isn't true at all.

Honen is not near as water route filled as people like to say.
At this point I think it's just become a meme/"it's been said so many times it must be true" thing.

And people conveniently forget Repels exist when they say this stuff too.

JesusLovesRonwell
Aug 12, 2004

I want to touch my Rosalina-sama all over~

<3<3<3

MrAristocrates posted:

The only reason I don't like Dive is because I forever associate it with Relicanth hunting. God, that took me forever as a kid.

Longer than trying to find an Ekans horde in X? I think not.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Widestancer posted:

Deoxys isn't that rare. Heck, you could dowload a legitimate one via wi-fi in B2/W2 not even a full year ago. It came at level 100 with Nasty Plot and Dark Pulse as special moves.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice
Is there a list somewhere of the pokemon that won't be available after the GTS shutdown this month (e.g., speed boost sharpedo)? I would love to grab breeding stock off the GTS or pokecheck while I still can.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

Folks, this is going to be the game where you can build a treehouse with a Goodra doll in it.

And maybe people will be able to visit your treehouse over wifi!

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Funkmaster General posted:

Folks, this is going to be the game where you can build a treehouse with a Goodra doll in it.

And maybe people will be able to visit your treehouse over wifi!

I sincerely hope they don't make secret bases Streetpass-only, because I never get any Streetpasses whatsoever. Online or bust.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I have no idea why they took out Secret Bases in the later games. They were the best.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Online secret bases means that we need to have some way to identify goon houses if there is a random/passerby option. Ideas?

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!
I actually enjoyed the water routes. Almost entirely open space to a wonderful soundtrack - felt outright leisurely going to Sootopolis

But then I can see why that might be a bit of an outlier opinion.

I do genuinely think what helps the RSE games though is that, visually at least, they're the best looking of the purely 2D games. Now that might seem a bit obvious, given it was most graphically advanced up to that point, but how well it works is actually kore apparent with the hindsight of the two gens thereafter. I can't fault gamefreak and Nintendo for advancing with integrating 3D into the games, but with 2D spritework, it always had a certain... uncanny valley effect. Like, because the environment shifted angles and the player character moved about an uneven grid, it didn't quite look right. RSE though? The games are all 2D and thus everything goes together visually, whilst being a very bright, vibrant, and smooth flowing game. It feels kinda more prominent with how X/Y had lag due to polygon count on the models and all, but gen 3 was just smooth in how it played and responded to input.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Widestancer posted:

Online secret bases means that we need to have some way to identify goon houses if there is a random/passerby option. Ideas?

Finally, I'll be able to know that some random person on online pokemon goes to the same forum as me

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Widestancer posted:

I hope you're not suggesting we put stairs in our house.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Widestancer posted:

"Do you have stairs in your secret base?"

I'm sorry.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

I actually hope they go farther with the secret bases this time around. Like, way farther. Imagine an Animal Crossing game, but strip it down to your single home, rather than a whole village, and replace the empty space with pokemon training/battling.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Using Secret Bases as cruising locations will be the next big thing. I'll put my stairs down and then tap my mic instead of my foot. It's like the airport but different!

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
So for a Shed Skin Scrafty with Crunch/Drain Punch/Rest/Bulk Up should I focus more on HP/one of the Defs or go Full HP/Atk ?

Amperor
Oct 27, 2010

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

So for a Shed Skin Scrafty with Crunch/Drain Punch/Rest/Bulk Up should I focus more on HP/one of the Defs or go Full HP/Atk ?

I think I'd go HP/Att, since his defenses are already pretty hefty, and more Att should net you more HP back from drain punch. What's he going to hold?

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Amperor posted:

I think I'd go HP/Att, since his defenses are already pretty hefty, and more Att should net you more HP back from drain punch. What's he going to hold?

Either Leftovers or for actual nintendo stuff with item clause probably Expert Belt if he's on a team already using them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

I went full ATK, then somewhere around 200 HP IVs and the rest into SpD on a whim. I definitely wouldn't lose the attack - it's nice being able to threaten things without bulking up. I just wanted to give him a little more special bulk, because my scrafty is often getting baton passed some defense boosts by my scolipede.

When I'm doing battle spot with another Lefties user, I sometimes give mine a Big Root. You could do worse.

• Locked thread