Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

You really want the fifth. If you stay behind his left foot his wide swing won't hit you. Also the real dark souls starts here learn2dodge for real now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

RBA Starblade posted:

Ok maybe I'm not beating Vendrick. GRS does diddlysquat, any attack guard breaks me (and has absurd tracking), any attack does 80% of my health. And I have 4 giant souls!

Which is double defenses, which is way more than double HP. Go drop an aesthetic in the black gutter and kill the two giant barbarians again.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

quote:

Also the real dark souls starts here learn2dodge for real now

Yeah it's not anything about the fight itself, it's that I'm bad at timing the dodge, even with 100 agility.

quote:

Which is double defenses, which is way more than double HP. Go drop an aesthetic in the black gutter and kill the two giant barbarians again.

I didn't think those respawned with ascetics. I'll do that, I have like six remaining. Can I get more than five total then? Will over five do anything? I think I'll let the dragon go since no one seems to actually enjoy fighting it, but I could go grab the giant lord's again I guess. Think I'll start a melee dude up in the meantime though.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 01:34 on May 8, 2014

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

:sigh: You think people would've learned by now.

OG Necromancer
Jan 20, 2014

Dark Souls 2 is a very ascetically pleasing video game.

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

I wasn't being serious, which is why I told you how to avoid his worst attack without dodging. Another way to get the fifth soul is to kill the Ancient Dragon but that fight is the worst in the game. You can get more than 5 giant souls but that doesn't do anything for you.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Baron O Beefdip posted:

Dark Souls 2 is a very ascetically pleasing video game.

Amusingly that makes more sense than aesthetic.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Domattee posted:

I wasn't being serious, which is why I told you how to avoid his worst attack without dodging.

I know, but I seriously am bad at it. :v:

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

Someone needs to stop this! Sherman has lost his mind! Peyton is completely unable to defend himself out there!
Wow, Ancient Dragon might actually be the worst fight of the entire series. Not only is it boring, but its cheap as poo poo to boot!

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
It's sad that Kalameet was such a great fight and then they completely threw that out the window with the drakes/dragons in Dark Souls 2.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Schwack posted:

Wow, Ancient Dragon might actually be the worst fight of the entire series. Not only is it boring, but its cheap as poo poo to boot!

It's also totally not worth it at all.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

net cafe scandal posted:

It's also totally not worth it at all.

Yeah, the whole point is the Giant's soul and you can just ascetic the giants in Black Gulch for it.

I don't know why they thought doing it that way was best but at least you can easily skip it.

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

Someone needs to stop this! Sherman has lost his mind! Peyton is completely unable to defend himself out there!

Bobnumerotres posted:

Yeah, the whole point is the Giant's soul and you can just ascetic the giants in Black Gulch for it.

I don't know why they thought doing it that way was best but at least you can easily skip it.

Oh, that was the only reason I was even bothering.

If it's really that pointless, then gently caress this stupid fight. So far it's one of the clearest illustrations that dev teams and philosophy switched.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

It just occurred to me that none of the preorder weapons are in the game except through Wellager. Were they cut for the dlc?

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Schwack posted:

Oh, that was the only reason I was even bothering.

If it's really that pointless, then gently caress this stupid fight. So far it's one of the clearest illustrations that dev teams and philosophy switched.

There's no achievement or unique soul for beating the Ancient Dragon even. He's the only boss in any Souls game I've not and probably will never beat.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

RBA Starblade posted:

It just occurred to me that none of the preorder weapons are in the game except through Wellager. Were they cut for the dlc?

Possible. Although in this case I'd forgo the usual rage because all of them are pretty unimpressive and all but the Bound Axe/Shield are rear end ugly.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I made a new Warrior character, and the first Petrified Something I gave the crows granted me the Old Whip. Is it really good enough for me to race to 20 Dexterity? It has low durability, for one thing.

Also, I swear I just managed to deflect a firebomb thrown at me by a Hollow Soldier with a swing of my sword. Please tell me that wasn't a fluke, but rather a feature.

OG Necromancer
Jan 20, 2014

RBA Starblade posted:

I think it's more likely that the devs were obligated to add a pre-order bonus so they took a bunch of existing weapons, slapped some poo poo on them, and called it a day.

OG Necromancer
Jan 20, 2014

Jay Rust posted:

I made a new Warrior character, and the first Petrified Something I gave the crows granted me the Old Whip. Is it really good enough for me to race to 20 Dexterity? It has low durability, for one thing.

Also, I swear I just managed to deflect a firebomb thrown at me by a Hollow Soldier with a swing of my sword. Please tell me that wasn't a fluke, but rather a feature.

Pretty sure one of the things talked about pre-release was that you could parry projectiles. It's loving useless but it's still neat that they actually put that in.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Baron O Beefdip posted:

I think it's more likely that the devs were obligated to add a pre-order bonus so they took a bunch of existing weapons, slapped some poo poo on them, and called it a day.

Can't you switch the DLC items on and off in a text file? It even refers to it as a gimmick I think?

Umberger
Jan 24, 2010

Baron O Beefdip posted:

Also worth noting is that the JP pre-order bonus was significantly more restricted. Depending on which store you ordered from, you would get one "pair" of items (i.e. Black Flamestone if you ordered from Besto Buy).

But their CE was so much cooler.

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

It's called DARK SOULS 2 Sales Gimmick yes.

Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?

Baron O Beefdip posted:

Pretty sure one of the things talked about pre-release was that you could parry projectiles. It's loving useless but it's still neat that they actually put that in.

The most impressive projectile parry I've seen was when a ruined sentinel knocked one of the other sentinels shield toss away into the wall.

Jay Rust posted:

I tried the old whip for like 30 seconds before dropping it. It loses about 4 durability for hitting walls, so have that stock of repair powders.

Drakes fucked around with this message at 02:03 on May 8, 2014

Ice_Mallet
Feb 22, 2011
What a horrible night

to have a curse.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Baron O Beefdip posted:

You can still do that to Gyrm axes and Hollow firebombs and it's pretty awesome to do.

Re; Old Whip, only use it for PvP. It does incredible damage when upgraded but unless you're getting the PvP win repair bonus or resting at a bonfire you need a regular whip.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Smelter, during his "Imma power up" phase, somehow managed to send me flying into the level geometry where I was stuck for the during of the fight.

I'm so sorry bro.

TheNightReaver
Sep 7, 2011

Go fart with the angels.

Ice_Mallet posted:

What a horrible night

to have a curse.

:hawaaaafap:

If only this were a true game, and not that GoW clones we got passed as Castlevania games.

EDIT: now I have the NES song for the night phase stuck in my head.

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My defenses are impregnable
My arms are tired
I know this is a cool place for supportive people but I have to ask a question about invasions.
If you kill 3 phantoms but then lose to the host do you get points for BoB covenant? I know you get points for killing blue sentinels but im not sure about others.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Anyone have any experience with the Drakewing Ultra Greatsword or the Spitfire Spear? Are they decent? Is one more decent than the other?

Umberger
Jan 24, 2010
Is there any kind of chart showing general SM ranges for bosses like there was for SL in Dark Souls 1? One thing I liked doing in Dark Souls 1 was just parking some characters at certain bosses (Capra, O&S, etc) and helping people every once and a while, but it was a lot easier to get SL ranges than to guess relative SM.

Please don't start another SL vs SM coop/PVP debate.

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

As far as I know you do not get points for phantoms.

e: SM is much more smeared out than soul level, so you're guaranteed to get hits at pretty much any SM higher than the one you reached the boss at. I got regular hits for Smelter Demon all the way from 9k to the 12M I'm at now.

Domattee fucked around with this message at 02:14 on May 8, 2014

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
gently caress this piece of poo poo king giant. I'm up to Bonfire Ascetic 5, and he can kill me in one hit. It wouldn't be a problem if these goddamn giants would get crushed by the statue like they should be. This is the first time I had a problem with the fog. It obscured a majority of the first hit the giant king would do. I know it's always a overhead smash, but poo poo, man, let me get to the platform already so i can start the fight proper.

A lot of these bosses just have intentionally bad design.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
Are there more than 3 elephant men in the doors of pharros? I want the chest piece and I ran out of mammothmen. I opened up 3 part door(using 2) already.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

This is the first time I've felt pretty eh about the ENB mod.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_PMntF7sY-4

Some areas look beautiful, others terribly oversaturated.

extremebuff fucked around with this message at 02:32 on May 8, 2014

TheNightReaver
Sep 7, 2011

Go fart with the angels.
...if you infuse a Blue Flame sword with poison, it increases its magic scaling :downs:
What?

Orv
May 4, 2011

Grondoth posted:

Are there more than 3 elephant men in the doors of pharros? I want the chest piece and I ran out of mammothmen. I opened up 3 part door(using 2) already.

4, another 3 part door on the upper level near the entrance.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Fargin Icehole posted:

gently caress this piece of poo poo king giant. I'm up to Bonfire Ascetic 5, and he can kill me in one hit. It wouldn't be a problem if these goddamn giants would get crushed by the statue like they should be. This is the first time I had a problem with the fog. It obscured a majority of the first hit the giant king would do. I know it's always a overhead smash, but poo poo, man, let me get to the platform already so i can start the fight proper.

Was that what was supposed to happen in that fight? For me they kept taking little to no damage (I mean like 5 hp a hit) from the explosions until I stopped waiting and killed them with dark orb. The explosions alone made the guy more of a threat than Nashandra; I got cursed but took like no damage from it for some reason. Her laser hit me once, but those were the only two attacks she did.

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

TheNightReaver posted:

...if you infuse a Blue Flame sword with poison, it increases its magic scaling :downs:
What?

Pretty sure each weapons different infusion branches have their damage values all hardcoded separately somewhere and they forgot to adjust them all during balancing.

Ice_Mallet
Feb 22, 2011

Orv posted:

Re; Old Whip, only use it for PvP. It does incredible damage when upgraded but unless you're getting the PvP win repair bonus or resting at a bonfire you need a regular whip.
You can use it for PvE and exploration, if;
1. You are dual-wielding it alongside another whip.
2. You have repair attuned.
3. You have the bracing knuckle ring on.

So it's not easy, but you can make it work.

Fargin Icehole posted:

gently caress this piece of poo poo king giant. I'm up to Bonfire Ascetic 5, and he can kill me in one hit.
King Giant isn't a fun a fight, but you can speed it up by using the Red Tearstone Ring if you have it. There's a ledge you can jump off just outside the tree, so you can activate the ring, then warp back via feather.

You aren't going to be using the health anyways, as you say.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Where do I go after the rat authority?