Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
Dude wheres my Legacy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
So when is Baron Sengir gonna get his planeswalker spark so he can have crazy adventures turning dwarves into vampires or whatever instead of just chilling out in his castle wondering where his castle basement portal goes?

Or better yet, Squee, Goblin Planeswalker

Chorocojo
Sep 25, 2005

Legendary Enchantment Creature -- Bird God

Mercury Crusader posted:

So when is Baron Sengir gonna get his planeswalker spark so he can have crazy adventures turning dwarves into vampires or whatever instead of just chilling out in his castle wondering where his castle basement portal goes?

There's already a still-living planeswalker from Homelands that I want to show up: Sandruu. He's a minotaur planeswalker.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Mercury Crusader posted:

They already have Sorin for that though.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
Wizards' fear of Doubling Season due to how it interacts with Planeswalkers is funny to me. The two paired together can result in some really bonkers stuff, but it's not like we've ever seen it as some kind of viable deck or anything. The combo of Delver of Secrets and Spells is far more fearsome and was played in every possible format it could appear in. Doubling Season Superfriends hasn't shown up anywhere because, you know, it just isn't all that consistent even if it's on occasion powerful.

Zorak fucked around with this message at 01:44 on May 8, 2014

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
My buddy lost to it at GP vegas limited. Search for tomorrow -> t4 doubling season -> t5 Sarkhan + ultimate -> t6 swing 32 in the air, haha. One in a million I guess.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

TheKingofSprings posted:

So what you're saying is standard is doomed to be bad forever.

I'm saying Modern is why we can't have nice things in Standard. Standard could probably handle Force of Will, it would arguably be less format-warping than Thoughtseize, but there's no way they're unleashing it on Modern and they don't want print cards they have to pre-ban.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Zorak posted:

Wizards' fear of Doubling Season due to how it interacts with Planeswalkers is funny to me. The two paired together can result in some really bonkers stuff, but it's not like we've ever seen it as some kind of viable deck or anything. The combo of Delver of Secrets and Spells is far more fearsome and was played in every possible format it could appear in. Doubling Season Superfriends has shown up anywhere because, you know, it just isn't all that consistent even if it's on occasion powerful.

This is exactly my opinion-- people love to point out how bonkers it is to drop some planeswalkers right into an ultimate, which is a fair point, but the fact that it requires a separate five-mana, easily destroyed, otherwise do-nothing permanent doesn't seem to register to them as far as how that controls the potential format impact of such a combo.

e: like if you're talking about two-card combos that involve large amounts of mana spread across two turns, Splinter Twin is straight up better in pretty much every way yet wasn't ipso facto degenerate in Standard, nor is in Modern.

JerryLee fucked around with this message at 01:45 on May 8, 2014

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Mercury Crusader posted:

Never, because they basically took everything anyone actually liked about the Homelands setting and threw it into Innistrad.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Entropic posted:

Never, because they basically took everything anyone actually liked about the Homelands setting and threw it into Innistrad.

They must realize the name still has a lot of nostalgic cachet, otherwise they wouldn't still do callbacks to it. Giving the Baron a planeswalker wouldn't require going back to Homelands, in fact it would literally help free him from it.

Not saying they'll do it anytime soon or ever, just saying that isn't a reason for them not to do it.

vvv now I really want a Planeswalker that's a sentient scroll or other magical artifact, unfortunately it'll never happen because all their planeswalkers need to be ~*~relatable~*~ to moody young adults

JerryLee fucked around with this message at 01:54 on May 8, 2014

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Autumn Willow and Merchant Scroll would both make better Planeswalkers than Boring Sengir :colbert:

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
Phelddagriff, Planeswalking Phelddagriff

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

JerryLee posted:

They must realize the name still has a lot of nostalgic cachet, otherwise they wouldn't still do callbacks to it. Giving the Baron a planeswalker wouldn't require going back to Homelands, in fact it would literally help free him from it.

Not saying they'll do it anytime soon or ever, just saying that isn't a reason for them not to do it.

vvv now I really want a Planeswalker that's a sentient scroll or other magical artifact, unfortunately it'll never happen because all their planeswalkers need to be ~*~relatable~*~ to moody young adults

Isn't that what Karn is?

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please

Phiberoptik posted:

So, As an online player looking to get into paper, should I buy this to get some bulk commons/uncommons?

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-toys-games/city-of-halifax/magic-the-gathering-lot-mtg/590391061?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

Almost definitely not. They'll almost certainly be unplayable and sit around collecting dust until you yourself put them on Kijiji for $50, and the circle of life continues.

Shows like Storage Wars have changed collection buying. Either a seller knows what they have and expect to get SCG retail prices, or they don't know what they have and their collection gets snapped up five minutes after being posted, or someone comes along and takes anything worth more than a dollar. Or, the third option, someone expects to sell their old collection of Homelands and Chronicles for $1 per card.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Angry Grimace posted:

Isn't that what Karn is?

Yeap. I think Venser stuck his spark in Karn and that made Karn a planeswalker.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

PhyrexianLibrarian posted:

Almost definitely not. They'll almost certainly be unplayable and sit around collecting dust until you yourself put them on Kijiji for $50, and the circle of life continues.

Shows like Storage Wars have changed collection buying. Either a seller knows what they have and expect to get SCG retail prices, or they don't know what they have and their collection gets snapped up five minutes after being posted, or someone comes along and takes anything worth more than a dollar. Or, the third option, someone expects to sell their old collection of Homelands and Chronicles for $1 per card.

Even the official starter box I bought to teach my girlfriend with was literally 60% lands. Everyone's out to dump their poo poo!

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Angry Grimace posted:

Isn't that what Karn is?

Ehh, I could have been more specific, but I had a non-humanoid artifact character in mind. Don't get me wrong, I love Karn, but a golem is still very much in "make sure it has a humanoid face, torso, and limbs, otherwise it won't be relatable!!!" territory.

change my name posted:

Even the official starter box I bought to teach my girlfriend with was literally 60% lands. Everyone's out to dump their poo poo!

I realize you're joking but I'm sure that's just to make sure that the new player has a good stock of basic lands of each color!

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

JerryLee posted:

Ehh, I could have been more specific, but I had a non-humanoid artifact character in mind. Don't get me wrong, I love Karn, but a golem is still very much in "make sure it has a humanoid face, torso, and limbs, otherwise it won't be relatable!!!" territory.

I realize you're joking but I'm sure that's just to make sure that the new player has a good stock of basic lands of each color!

Haha I didn't read the box, it actually does have them in a separate section.

Also I vote Goyf for next planeswalker.

change my name fucked around with this message at 02:28 on May 8, 2014

Mae
Aug 1, 2010

Supesudandi wa, kukan-nai no dandidesu

I want either a goblin or Eldrazi scout planeswalker because either would be sick.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Mercury Crusader posted:

I dunno. The card would be pretty much...

Sengir, Lord of the Night 3BB

Planeswalker

+1: Vampire.
-1: Vampire.
-8: Vampire vampire vampire.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Just sort of browsing around tcgplayer, do people actually buy the 550 dollar booster crates? I'd assume ACTUAL game stores get their stuff directly from Wizards or a supplier and not secondhand.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
What we need is a Myr Planeswalker. Also a Lorwyn Flamekin. Also also a bird-person.

Hire me, Wizards.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C

edit: gently caress wrong thread.

is it worth it to buy a cold snap box?

Molybdenum fucked around with this message at 02:39 on May 8, 2014

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

Ramos posted:

Yeap. I think Venser stuck his spark in Karn and that made Karn a planeswalker.

I think Karn was a planeswalker beforehand after Yawgmoth died when the Legacy weapon activated or something. :shrug:

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Molybdenum posted:

edit: gently caress wrong thread.

is it worth it to buy a cold snap box?

Coldsnap is awful.

I have no idea what side that is going to push you towards, but just know it's awful. People will try to tell you the Limited format is fun; it's not.

tirinal
Feb 5, 2007
The headstart prerelease thing is confusing, likely because I'm overthinking it. Is it basically "log into beta client, play" in ~15 hours?

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

The Lord of Hats posted:

What we need is a Myr Planeswalker. Also a Lorwyn Flamekin. Also also a bird-person.

Hire me, Wizards.

Ashling the Planeswalker should totes be a thing.

Whether it's the Pilgrim or the Extinguisher, well, you'll just have to find out... :getin:

2MB
Feb 3, 2009

"No need to speak. Your fists told me everything I need to know about you."
Pretty excited that I can't play for the next couple days since I'm using the older client. I could just download the wide beta client but haha no.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

2MB posted:

Pretty excited that I can't play for the next couple days since I'm using the older client. I could just download the wide beta client but haha no.

From the sounds of it, they're aiming to switch everyone over to the beta client full time before M15 comes out. Lord knows how many more delays there are between now and then, but they're definitely pushing to retire the v3 client sooner rather than later.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

GonSmithe posted:

I have no idea what side that is going to push you towards, but just know it's awful. People will try to tell you the Limited format is fun; it's not.
It depends on your perspective on cows. Do you want to be a rancher? Would you like to ranch your opponent with your ranch? Then you will like Cold snap.

Do you dislike repetitive board states and awful mechanics? Cold Snap not so much for you.

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000
Elite member of the Grammar Nazi Squad that

JerryLee posted:

Gynovore posted:

I dunno. The card would be pretty much...

Sengir, Lord of the Night 3BB

Planeswalker

+1: Vampire.
-1: Vampire.
-8: Vampire vampire vampire.

In my head, Bloodline Keeper is essentially Baron Sengir, Planeswalker.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Attorney at Funk posted:

From the sounds of it, they're aiming to switch everyone over to the beta client full time before M15 comes out. Lord knows how many more delays there are between now and then, but they're definitely pushing to retire the v3 client sooner rather than later.

They announced that the old version is going away in July.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

ungulateman posted:

Whether it's the Pilgrim or the Extinguisher, well, you'll just have to find out... :getin:

I think Oona being dead kind of turned off the Great Aurora, so it would probably be the Pilgrim.

At least I think the Aurora is Oona's meddling.

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord

Angry Grimace posted:

They announced that the old version is going away in July.

Nah, they announced that they would like for it to go away in July.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

It's pretty funny that instead of making the new client more appealing they're just finding ways to make it more difficult to use the old one.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

The March Hare posted:

Nah, they announced that they would like for it to go away in July.

I'm not sure what the practical difference is between that and "we plan on switching from the current version of Magic Online to the new version this July . . ." which is what they said.

rabidsquid posted:

It's pretty funny that instead of making the new client more appealing they're just finding ways to make it more difficult to use the old one.

What exactly about the new version is it that everyone hates? I never played the old one.

Applebees
Jul 23, 2013

yospos

JerryLee posted:

They must realize the name still has a lot of nostalgic cachet, otherwise they wouldn't still do callbacks to it.

What callbacks have there been to Homelands?

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse

Count Bleck posted:

At least I think the Aurora is Oona's meddling.
I think the Aurora is just supposed to be what happens to Lorwyn at night, but Oona's meddling made Lorwyn's days and nights each five years long or something ridiculous like that. However, I absolutely cannot remember where I learned that, so take it with a grain of salt.

I think she did it just to pad out the time she was active and powerful.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Angry Grimace posted:

What exactly about the new version is it that everyone hates? I never played the old one.

I really don't care for the UI at all, but visual preferences aside it runs like poo poo and crashes for no reason at all. It runs worse than big budget AAA games.

Oh the way that it shifts everything on the battlefield when you play stuff out is also really shabby.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord

Angry Grimace posted:

I'm not sure what the practical difference is between that and "we plan on switching from the current version of Magic Online to the new version this July . . ." which is what they said.

The practical difference is that "The old version is going away in July" is not the same as "Cutting to the chase, if everything goes as expected, we plan to..."

Particularly when you are dealing with a thing that has been through both a total platform switch and months upon months upon months of delays already.

• Locked thread