Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

John Brown posted:

Mayock just said on NFLN that Teddy needs two years to sit and then we'd be able to determine if he's a starting QB.

All from one lovely pro day. What the gently caress is going on?
Mayock is very over-reactionary with players when it comes off-season workouts. There's no other explanation as to why he thought Larry English and Robert Ayers were slam dunks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Was that the pro day where he wasn't wearing a glove? That could be agent spin but personally I would totally believe that if you usually wore one you would play lovely without one.

But then again I had to wear the same exact socks every game and paint under my eyes the same exact length so I might just be off.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

John Brown posted:

Mayock just said on NFLN that Teddy needs two years to sit and then we'd be able to determine if he's a starting QB.

Lurker here, and not nearly as knowledgeable as you guys, but this seems especially stupid. Bridgewaters' negatives, (too thin, not accurate deep, not great arm strength) aren't the kinds of flaws that get better sitting on the bench. Isn't the idea of sitting on the bench for QBs who maybe ran non-pro systems and need to learn, mental adjustments, that kind of thing?

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

Lurker here, and not nearly as knowledgeable as you guys, but this seems especially stupid. Bridgewaters' negatives, (too thin, not accurate deep, not great arm strength) aren't the kinds of flaws that get better sitting on the bench. Isn't the idea of sitting on the bench for QBs who maybe ran non-pro systems and need to learn, mental adjustments, that kind of thing?

He actually said that Bridgewater needs the year to...*ahem*...Bulk Up.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Coldforge posted:

Ah, ok.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Coldforge posted:

In that case, welcome to Santa Clara Teddy

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

So what happened to Anthony Barr? Wasn't he considered a top prospect early in the process? I swear I haven't heard his name in about three months.

John Brown
Jul 10, 2009

Holy poo poo turn in on NFLN right now. They're showing behind the scenes footage of the 2004 draft, and Big Ben is shown giving Eli poo poo on a bus ride.

Interesting stuff.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

Sataere posted:

So what happened to Anthony Barr? Wasn't he considered a top prospect early in the process? I swear I haven't heard his name in about three months.

He's still a first rounder.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

kiimo posted:

Was that the pro day where he wasn't wearing a glove? That could be agent spin but personally I would totally believe that if you usually wore one you would play lovely without one.

But then again I had to wear the same exact socks every game and paint under my eyes the same exact length so I might just be off.

Stuff like socks and eye black might throw you off in a superstition way, gloves is probably a more tangible issue.

Also who told Teddy to throw without gloves what a bad loving idea.

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

John Brown posted:

Holy poo poo turn in on NFLN right now. They're showing behind the scenes footage of the 2004 draft, and Big Ben is shown giving Eli poo poo on a bus ride.

Interesting stuff.

Steelers-Giants Super Bowl before they retire.

In San Diego.

John Brown
Jul 10, 2009

Coldforge posted:

Idk what you're watching but that's not what he said moments ago. He really did say Bridgewater needed to sit a couple of years for teams to be able to tell if he can start.

E: lmao Giants fans saying "Eli sucks!"

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

If you have ESPNU, my program guide says they're showing the Chic-Fil-A Bowl starring Johnny Football again.

e: And of course, they're not. At least not for a half hour I guess? I guess a softball game ran long.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

John Brown posted:

Interesting stuff.

Dammit, that would have been cool to see.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

John Brown posted:

Idk what you're watching but that's not what he said moments ago. He really did say Bridgewater needed to sit a couple of years for teams to be able to tell if he can start.

It's a joke about AJ Jenkins.

Who really did manage to bulk up and turn into a huge terrible receiver for the 49ers.

e: Well poo poo I guess they did say it. I thought it was just a tff joke

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 03:18 on May 8, 2014

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

John Brown posted:

It actually is what he said in addition to that. His wording was, Teddy can use the year to add to his frame.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

John Brown posted:

This Blake Bortles fellow however...

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont

kalensc posted:

Steelers-Giants Super Bowl before they retire.

In San Diego.

Keep going I'm almost there

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

No QB is going to sit for a year to add to their frame. I don't think Mayock is keyed in to how the NFL works today. It's probably a good thing that he never took any GM jobs like was rumored a few years ago.

Even third round picks have ended up starting in week 1 in today's NFL. It's just unrealistic to think that any QB taken in the first 3 rounds is going to go a full year without seeing any game action. The odds are stacked against that.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

LiquidFriend posted:

Mayock is very over-reactionary with players when it comes off-season workouts. There's no other explanation as to why he thought Larry English and Robert Ayers were slam dunks.

To be fair to the pundits they're not scouts and I doubt they have the opportunity to get reports from an agency like BLESTO, that being said it's always the same Bullshit talk about the top 30 prospects with a couple of polarising prospects thrown in for filler.

Watching any tv talking head talk about the draft is a waste of precious life.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
God, I want to punch Rothlisberger's whole draft table.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

shiksa posted:

Also who told Teddy to throw without gloves what a bad loving idea.

Teddys idea. He'd been training without one in Miami because the weather was nice. Tried to keep it rolling and welp. He's been underwhelming in all of his workouts though.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
According to who?

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Quest For Glory II posted:

No QB is going to sit for a year to add to their frame. I don't think Mayock is keyed in to how the NFL works today. It's probably a good thing that he never took any GM jobs like was rumored a few years ago.

Even third round picks have ended up starting in week 1 in today's NFL. It's just unrealistic to think that any QB taken in the first 3 rounds is going to go a full year without seeing any game action. The odds are stacked against that.

Especially with the rookie wage scale and knee jerk coaching staff firings. No real reason not to throw em in and see how they fare. Particularly with the vacuum of QB talent at the moment.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Mort said Bridgewater had underwhelming workouts but he was also lying out of his rear end at the time and literally fabricated the story. I haven't heard anything since.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Not without ~any~ action, but there's plenty of guys who have been essentially redshirted.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

Mort said Bridgewater had underwhelming workouts but he was also lying out of his rear end at the time and literally fabricated the story. I haven't heard anything since.

Yeah didn't he say that every team Teddy had worked out for was unimpressed and then his agent said "lol he hasn't worked out for anyone"?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

They're poking fun at the Raiders again

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

The Puppy Bowl posted:

According to who?

His stock has legit fallen. It's not because he had a sloppy pro day when he didn't wear a glove. Seen a few polls from NFL execs and very few think he's the best qb in the draft, which is a far cry from where we sat two months ago. He's not impressing anyone at his individuals obviously, but we'll see what is and isn't smoke soon enough.

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president

Azhais posted:

I was having a good day too

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
There's just no point for them to tell the truth on something like that so I assume they wouldn't.

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

Al Davis owned a lot.

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

Doltos posted:

This is just hilarious:

I should really get into the football analytics racket

Come on the Browns aren't dumb enough to pay for this study just to have it leaked a few days before the draft.

Dr. Foom
Jul 5, 2007

I have approximate knowledge of many things.

Azhais posted:

In a draft where the Raiders could draft any number of potentially "safe" offensive linemen, why must ESPN remind me of Robert Gallery?

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Holy poo poo, Jarred Allen was drafted to be a long snapper.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Holy poo poo, Jarred Allen was drafted to be a long snapper.

I always wanted to see him long snap after he ended up being an awesome pass rusher, I kept cheering for the Chiefs longsnapper to twist an ankle or something when he was here.

They always hoped he would be a good defensive player though, you don't draft longsnappers in the fourth even if you're Carl Peterson.

John Brown
Jul 10, 2009

The '04 class was amazing. So far they've covered Eli, Rivers, Ben, Sean Taylor, Winslow, Jared Allen, and now Welker. They haven't even completed the first round yet.

HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer

Dr. Foom posted:

In a draft where the Raiders could draft any number of potentially "safe" offensive linemen, why must ESPN remind me of Robert Gallery?

To be fair wasn't he pretty much godly in college, and generally thought of as generational talent at the time? He didn't turn out, but you can't really blame the Raider's for taking him.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

John Brown posted:

The '04 class was amazing. So far they've covered Eli, Rivers, Ben, Sean Taylor, Winslow, Jared Allen, and now Welker. They haven't even completed the first round yet.

Jared Allen wasn't a first rounder and Welker wasn't even drafted what're you talking about

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

John Brown posted:

Meh. It's hard to name a draft that doesn't produce ten or so premier talents. The strong careers out of Rivers, Manning and Rothelisberger is the most impressive thing.

• Locked thread