Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

Applebees posted:

What callbacks have there been to Homelands?

Baron Sengir is quoted on the flavor text to Elixir of Immortality. They also reprint Sengir Vampire in core sets a lot but that's not really a Homelands reference, technically, because Sengir Vampire predates it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

The March Hare posted:

The practical difference is that "The old version is going away in July" is not the same as "Cutting to the chase, if everything goes as expected, we plan to..."

Particularly when you are dealing with a thing that has been through both a total platform switch and months upon months upon months of delays already.

So basically semantics. Got it.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Attorney at Funk posted:

Baron Sengir is quoted on the flavor text to Elixir of Immortality. They also reprint Sengir Vampire in core sets a lot but that's not really a Homelands reference, technically, because Sengir Vampire predates it.

Barony Vampire also exists, and the Dark Barony in Ulgrotha was a Planechase card.

Sengir Vampire is sort of like Glasses of Urza; it might have originally been its own thing but now it's pretty clearly tied in with the later sets that expanded on its lore, unless there are two parallel developing planes where the proper noun Sengir relates to a tribe of vampires. No, I don't have any idea how a vampire from Ulgrotha got to Otaria during Odyssey block, but probably the same way a djinn from Rabiah did. :v:

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

JerryLee posted:

Barony Vampire also exists, and the Dark Barony in Ulgrotha was a Planechase card.

Sengir Vampire is sort of like Glasses of Urza; it might have originally been its own thing but now it's pretty clearly tied in with the later sets that expanded on its lore, unless there are two parallel developing planes where the proper noun Sengir relates to a tribe of vampires. No, I don't have any idea how a vampire from Ulgrotha got to Otaria during Odyssey block, but probably the same way a djinn from Rabiah did. :v:

I can't imagine what fresh hell you must occupy as a guy who's sincerely nostalgic for Homelands.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

JerryLee posted:

I misread this as "Brony Vampire" at first; that's one Hasbro tie-in I hope we never see.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

vOv posted:

I misread this as "Brony Vampire" at first; that's one Hasbro tie-in I hope we never see.

Hasbro has declared its two popular products, My Little Pony: The Collectible Card Game and Magic the Gathering, to be compatible. Both the casual and competitive scene now see regular play of cards like Twilight Sparkle and Pinky Pie alongside old favorites like Thassa and Grey Merchant.

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

With the Pussy Snorkel, any man can be a dive master.

Ramos posted:

Hasbro has declared its two popular products, My Little Pony: The Collectible Card Game and Magic the Gathering, to be compatible. Both the casual and competitive scene now see regular play of cards like Twilight Sparkle and Pinky Pie alongside old favorites like Thassa and Grey Merchant.

This would make me stop playing Magic entirely, actually.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

The ponies are all joke cards that become the next skullclamp due to hardcore players exploiting them somehow.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Attorney at Funk posted:

I can't imagine what fresh hell you must occupy as a guy who's sincerely nostalgic for Homelands.

The SETTING is reasonably popular, but it's so wholly tainted by the shittiness of the actual cards it's never getting touched.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

ungulateman posted:

Ashling the Planeswalker should totes be a thing.

Whether it's the Pilgrim or the Extinguisher, well, you'll just have to find out... :getin:

It really is a shame that despite Lorwyn being the set that introduced Planeswalkers, there hasn't been a Planeswalker from Lorwyn.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Alaan posted:

The SETTING is reasonably popular, but it's so wholly tainted by the shittiness of the actual cards it's never getting touched.

It's worth noting that the sheer amount of Magic players today compared to the number of Magic players back during Homelands is pretty big. So, you know, even if it was popular at the time it's not like the vast majority of players either are familiar or give a poo poo.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Zorak posted:

It's worth noting that the sheer amount of Magic players today compared to the number of Magic players back during Homelands is pretty big. So, you know, even if it was popular at the time it's not like the vast majority of players either are familiar or give a poo poo.

Not to mention, those of us who remember playing during Homelands remember it basically being about as good as Fallen Empires without Hymn to Tourach or pump knights.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Homelands cards are great if you ignore the text.

Though I would still like to see the art director's notes for Irini Sengir. What is she doing? Is she putting it in? Or is it coming out? Why is she so excited? Is that excitement? Someone tell me?

Why is she a Dwarf? A Vampire Dwarf? edit: Grandmother Sengir is a human wizard? This family is weird.

Zorak posted:

Not really relevant, but Magic players can look up and get attached to old settings. Like, Ravnica was hugely popular with a crowd of people who could not possibly have played during the original release given there was something like one fifth as many players at the time.

Spiderdrake fucked around with this message at 05:09 on May 8, 2014

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Spiderdrake posted:

Not really relevant, but Magic players can look up and get attached to old settings. Like, Ravnica was hugely popular with a crowd of people who could not possibly have played during the original release given there was something like one fifth as many players at the time.

Ravnica was basically the most popular set period when it came out in terms of design and flavor, at a period when Magic was undergoing drastic growths in popularity.

Homelands, a set that came out a decade before that was a mostly mediocre / unpopular set that a few people apparently liked the flavor for. Wizards has stated it was the all time low for Magic design, and they had to modify how Standard worked for tournaments to get people to even play cards from it.

These are two equivalent things to compare, yes.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
As someone who originally played from around Fallen Empires through Homelands, I don't give a poo poo about the boring generic setting of Homelands and am glad the set is rightly forgotten. We already got Return To Ulgrotha-or-whatever-that-plane-was-named, it was called Innistrad and it was all the better for ignoring everything that didn't work about the previous attempt at a gothic horror inspired setting and just straight up rebooting it.

Chorocojo
Sep 25, 2005

Legendary Enchantment Creature -- Bird God

Spiderdrake posted:

Homelands cards are great if you ignore the text.

Though I would still like to see the art director's notes for Irini Sengir. What is she doing? Is she putting it in? Or is it coming out? Why is she so excited? Is that excitement? Someone tell me?

Why is she a Dwarf? A Vampire Dwarf? edit: Grandmother Sengir is a human wizard? This family is weird.

Irini was the dwarves princess. When Sengir took over their castle he vampirized her.
Grandmother Sengir was a stupidly powerful (read: planeswalker) who got locked in a box and went crazy. Sengir found her and just sort of calls her Grandma.

Eddie Whitson
Nov 2, 2010
SWEET JESUS

That FoW promo is going to be crazy expensive, and the Elesh Norn promo is amazing.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Spiderdrake posted:

Irini was the princess of the dwarf kingdom and Baron Sengir just thought he'd make her a vampire and adopt her as his "daughter" just to gently caress with the other dwarves. Grandmother Sengir is some old planeswalker that got locked in some kind of magic prison for an eternity, and when the Baron found her, she was all crazy so he just took her into the family because she knew magic or whatever.

RoleModel posted:

SWEET JESUS

That FoW promo is going to be crazy expensive, and the Elesh Norn promo is amazing.

I saw that FoW art in an MTGO email thing a while back (I don't know why I keep getting MTGO emails) but I didn't expect them to actually print that in physical form.

Mercury Crusader fucked around with this message at 05:19 on May 8, 2014

BXCX
Feb 17, 2012

not even in a bad way

RoleModel posted:

SWEET JESUS

Sweet baby jesus I need that Sword of Feast and Famine, Greater Good, and Elesh Norn more than any other Wizard Poker things I've ever needed.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Anyone mind telling me what's up with Norn's text? Is that the Phyrexian language or something?

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

RoleModel posted:

SWEET JESUS

gently caress yes, they're actually printing that Hanna art.

Ramos posted:

Anyone mind telling me what's up with Norn's text? Is that the Phyrexian language or something?
Yeah, that was the promo image for Norn before they actually spoiled her card I think? It's supposed to be Phyrexian.

Chorocojo
Sep 25, 2005

Legendary Enchantment Creature -- Bird God

Ramos posted:

Yes, it's Phyrexian script.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

RoleModel posted:

SWEET JESUS

That Hanna is going to be worth so much money

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Mercury Crusader posted:

I saw that FoW art in an MTGO email thing a while back (I don't know why I keep getting MTGO emails) but I didn't expect them to actually print that in physical form.

I think they used that art for an MTGO promo version of it or something?

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Entropic posted:

Several times, yes.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Entropic posted:

Went to check my emails, and it was the April MOCS promo.

Zorak posted:

Several times, yes.

They should several-times reprint Force of Will physically. I miss my playset. :(

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

RoleModel posted:

SWEET JESUS

Foil Force of Will: the first $1,000 Uncommon?

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Ramos posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7ixdHQj3O4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LdDXMG9jvwg

Phyrexian script is cool as hell

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Zorak posted:

The second part of Maro's card stories for JOU is up, it has some interesting details about the changes that happened to JOU after it went to development. Apparently the counter doubling mechanic had been pretty far along before development indicated it had power concerns and was replaced with a series of other spell mechanics until they finally came up with Strive. Apparently Heroes Bane used to be capable of doubling the counters on ANY creature.

Here's another interesting detail:

So we may be seeing "cash in counters" Heroes if/when the mechanic eventually returns.

Also supposedly these are the M15 Basic lands. Supposedly. Some returning and some new pieces, as always.

Good to see the best forest (the bottom right one) returning. Love dem trees.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

That Elesh Norn and Hanna are the best motivations I've ever had for finally taking my L1 exam.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

tzirean posted:

That Elesh Norn and Hanna are the best motivations I've ever had for finally taking my L1 exam.

The population of L1s might be experiencing a bit of an uptick soon. Fortunately I know a L2 who hangs out at my LGS fairly often and has a nice box of rules interaction training puzzles. Need to get to studying. Want that Hanna so bad

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

I got to join the sweet miscut crew today.

:v:

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Archenteron posted:

The population of L1s might be experiencing a bit of an uptick soon. Fortunately I know a L2 who hangs out at my LGS fairly often and has a nice box of rules interaction training puzzles. Need to get to studying. Want that Hanna so bad

I've been trying to get on it for nearly a year now, but I was roadblocked by my area's only remaining L2 being a judge nobody really wants to interact with. Fortunately, we've just picked up two more, and I'm pretty friendly with one of them.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Yeah, how do you get Judge promos anyway as a judge? Do you have to be of a certain level, or have been one for X years, or...?

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

C-Euro posted:

Yeah, how do you get Judge promos anyway as a judge? Do you have to be of a certain level, or have been one for X years, or...?

Attend Judge Conferences.

iloverice
Feb 19, 2007

future tv ninja

C-Euro posted:

Either go to Judge Conferences or judge at GPs. The promos being mailed out is a very, very rare thing.

Lord Of Texas
Dec 26, 2006

Zorak posted:

Not to mention a large portion of the Magic playerbase wasn't alive or was in diapers when Homelands was released. We are old.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Entropic posted:

As someone who originally played from around Fallen Empires through Homelands, I don't give a poo poo about the boring generic setting of Homelands and am glad the set is rightly forgotten. We already got Return To Ulgrotha-or-whatever-that-plane-was-named, it was called Innistrad and it was all the better for ignoring everything that didn't work about the previous attempt at a gothic horror inspired setting and just straight up rebooting it.

Agreed. Fallen Empires had a hugely underrated setting, by the way. The wars within each color was a thing that I thought was pretty cool.

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

With the Pussy Snorkel, any man can be a dive master.

suicidesteve posted:

I got to join the sweet miscut crew today.

:v:

Off-center.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Ugh I want that Neilsen Hanna so bad and I know it is going to be rediculously expensive.

• Locked thread