Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
As much as I want to see Kass get grilled at the FTC, I also kind of hope that she gets voted out at 4 in a complete blindside just because it would be hilarious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

xbilkis posted:

I don't know why people are particularly surprised that people weren't willing to vote out the guy who says he has two idols, one of which has unknowable special powers, with this few people left in the game. It would have been nice if there was any suspense at all that Tony was going, but Tyler Perry Knows Best.

Honestly, based on where Kass is sitting, hoping that everyone hates Tony and doesn't respect Woo's game is by far the best chance she has at getting jury votes. So like, there's a .05% chance of it working. But going with either of Spencer/Tasha would just be an automatic loss.
Because it was failsafe if Kass hadn't backed out. Tony plays an idol and Trish goes home. That said, your second paragraph is correct. Her thought that people may be bitter at Tony wasn't necessarily wrong, and being alongside Spencer and Tasha might have been worse, not that I think she has a chance either way. So she was actually probably making the right move, sad to see Tasha go, though.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

There is no way a Kass blindside would more entertaining than her jury speech and answers.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

There is no way a Kass blindside would more entertaining than her jury speech and answers.

This is one of the only things I've wanted to see since the merge episode, and to come so close only to have it taken away from me in favor of, like, Spencer boringly explaining why he's a genius would be cruelty.

Every single person could tear her apart, and she would respond to every single person with the same demeanor as when she began, and she would be just as confident that she still had a shot at winning. It would be beautiful.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Fast Luck posted:

Because it was failsafe if Kass hadn't backed out. Tony plays an idol and Trish goes home. That said, your second paragraph is correct. Her thought that people may be bitter at Tony wasn't necessarily wrong, and being alongside Spencer and Tasha might have been worse, not that I think she has a chance either way. So she was actually probably making the right move, sad to see Tasha go, though.

Even if Kass followed the script, wouldn't it still go:

3 Tasha (Woo, Tony, Trish)
2 Trish (Kass, Tasha)
1 Tony (Spencer)

and end up with the same result?

Unmerciful
Sep 14, 2008

It's really a shame how much of a nosedive this season took after Tony found the TP idol - oh right everyone knew from the beginning that this is exactly what would happen with the super idol. There's absolutely no tension for any of the strategy talk - we know Tony's through the F4, which means Trish and Woo pretty much are too. What a horrible horrible horrible horrible idea - gently caress Tyler Perry and gently caress Jeff Probst, that star-loving rear end in a top hat

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

I hope Spencer reaches the finals because of Chaos Kass making another horrible decision and not an immunity run.

e: Can anyone other than Tony and Spencer even win? I guess Woo has a likable edit and they're showing why Tony could lose.

I could see Trish making a great jury case for herself and winning if the jury's pissed at Tony.

Maybe if Kass delivers her jury speech with as much conviction as she has when she's being wrong about everything in her confessionals she'd have a chance, but there's some jury members that hate her more than Tony.

Woo has no chance.

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007
Sartre and Russell are my heroes
There's no way that Kass wins over Woo in a F2 (if it is a F2 has been rumored) or anyone else honestly.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Lone Goat posted:

Even if Kass followed the script, wouldn't it still go:

3 Tasha (Woo, Tony, Trish)
2 Trish (Kass, Tasha)
1 Tony (Spencer)

and end up with the same result?
I thought Woo was with them and only turned away because Kass told him to.

nerox
May 20, 2001
If the vote had gone 2-2-2 how would it have played out. Would the TPHII be played before or after the tiebreaker votes?

In a tie the people who are voted for don't vote right? So Spencer/Kass/Woo would be the three voters. If they all voted Tony, what would happen if the TPHII came out then?

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

nerox posted:

If the vote had gone 2-2-2 how would it have played out. Would the TPHII be played before or after the tiebreaker votes?

In a tie the people who are voted for don't vote right? So Spencer/Kass/Woo would be the three voters. If they all voted Tony, what would happen if the TPHII came out then?

Honestly, we have no idea.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

I at least hope that once the season was done that Probst looked back and realised "hey, we really hosed up with the TP idol, I knew there was a reason we changed HIIs". This really could have been one of the greatest Survivor seasons of all time, but instead of generally wondering what'll happen the TP idol has removed so much tension and just let Tony do whatever the gently caress he wants with no fear of repercussion. E.g. if he didn't have the TP idol, he would most certainly have played his standard idol tonight and then would have been fair game in the next couple of councils.

I still don't understand how Probst, as the host of the show and a producer on it, can have such a lovely understanding of what makes a season of Survivor good.

Nexal
Apr 21, 2010

Moby - Extreme ways
The filming location for S29(The next season) is gonna be at dum dum dum NIGARACUA ONCE AGAIN! Meaning no water challenges cause Mark Burnett hates them for some twisted reasons. All we need is medallion of power, TP Idol and of course the Redemption island to make a complete lovely season.

Nexal fucked around with this message at 02:30 on May 8, 2014

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007
Sartre and Russell are my heroes

Shakugan posted:

I at least hope that once the season was done that Probst looked back and realised "hey, we really hosed up with the TP idol, I knew there was a reason we changed HIIs". This really could have been one of the greatest Survivor seasons of all time, but instead of generally wondering what'll happen the TP idol has removed so much tension and just let Tony do whatever the gently caress he wants with no fear of repercussion. E.g. if he didn't have the TP idol, he would most certainly have played his standard idol tonight and then would have been fair game in the next couple of councils.

I still don't understand how Probst, as the host of the show and a producer on it, can have such a lovely understanding of what makes a season of Survivor good.

quote:

JEFF PROBST: Our process for adding a twist to the show is surprisingly thorough. We have the idea and we all talk through it. Everybody runs scenarios in their head looking for problems and then solutions. Then we make the decision — are we doing it? In this case, since we had done a similar version in earlier seasons it was really a case of speculating “How will it play” as a one off? So many times the success or failure of an idol comes down to who finds it. If you’re a Tony fan, you love it! If you despise Tony, you hate it! It does come with a lot of power and it can definitely influence the game. Big rewards go to people who hustle. Tony hustles.

I think it will probably go down the same way Redemption Island did. Some people love it, some people hate it! The only way you find new exciting twists (switches, idols, Exile, Fans v Favorites, Redemption, BvW, BvBvB, etc) is by trying things. I’m just delighted with how much fans are enjoying this season, and giving them something to argue about (with us and with each other) is always a good thing!

:ughh:

http://insidetv.ew.com/2014/05/01/survivor-cagayan-jeff-probst-super-idol-auction/?ew_packageID=20354695

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

Well, Tash and Jerimiah are in jury and have said they will vote Tony to win if he's still standing in the end. If Spence joins them, he will too. Tash (and Spence, if he's booted) can work on the rest of the Ponderosa and set up convincing arguments on why Tony deserves the win. I don't think R.J. is holding as much of a Tony grudge as the his facial edits are trying to convey. Morgan rolls her eyes at literally everything but for sure straight up hates Kass. SheCop will vote Tony because of "the code of the badge" horseshit and she hates Trish and Kass.

Tony has this game on lockdown if he makes it to the end. Spencer wins if somehow Tony gets bounced before the FTC. Kass and Woo have no shot despite how much of a playa Kass thinks she is. Woo was an obedient lap dog. Trish just rolled behind her shield in Tony. No one in Tony's alliance outside of Tony has done gently caress-all in weeks if anything at all.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Bring back the medallion of power

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

That sounds so manufactured. I liked early Jeff Probst before they got a big record deal and totally sold out, man.

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

blue squares posted:

That sounds so manufactured. I liked early Jeff Probst before they got a big record deal and totally sold out, man.
It used to be about getting the music in the hands of everyone and touring and selling those cool Survivor buff concert t-shirts.

Once Jeff sued Napster and shut it down I just lost all respect for them.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Fast Luck posted:

I thought Woo was with them and only turned away because Kass told him to.

Exactly, she hosed the entire plan for her stupid ego.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Robnoxious posted:

Tony has this game on lockdown if he makes it to the end. Spencer wins if somehow Tony gets bounced before the FTC.
They'd have to make Tony believe that Trish was going to be voted out, so that Tony would give Trish his regular idol, and then actually all vote for Tony, forcing him to use his special idol. Which would get rid of both idols in one council.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Quest For Glory II posted:

They'd have to make Tony believe that Trish was going to be voted out, so that Tony would give Trish his regular idol, and then actually all vote for Tony, forcing him to use his special idol. Which would get rid of both idols in one council.

But it doesn't matter since next tribal is the last time he can use any HII so chances are pretty high that Tony uses both idols next week anyway. One to save either Woo/Trish and one to save himself.

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

Quest For Glory II posted:

This group of dummies can't keep one simple cohesive plan together (see: Kass) to pull off a monumental play like that.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Game breaking idols are still better than Redemption Island because they don't waste 20% of the episode on zombie players doing lovely challenges.

Nexal posted:

The filming location for S29(The next season) is gonna be at dum dum dum NIGARACUA ONCE AGAIN! Meaning no water challenges cause Mark Burnett hates them for some twisted reasons. All we need is medallion of power, TP Idol and of course the Redemption island to make a complete lovely season.
Noooooooooo

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Robnoxious posted:

This group of dummies can't keep one simple cohesive plan together (see: Kass) to pull off a monumental play like that.
That's absolutely correct. It would only work via complete accident.

Bjay9
May 3, 2011

Kid, touch is for video games and gynecologists
Guys, guys, guys, guys. I just had the most amazing idea. What if it's a final 2 and both Spencer and Tony make it. It would be amazing.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

Bjay9 posted:

Guys, guys, guys, guys. I just had the most amazing idea. What if it's a final 2 and both Spencer and Tony make it. It would be amazing.

This is a reason why I was super pissed right at the beginning of the season when people in this thread started posting about Spencer and Tony tweeting each other without using spoiler tags. Because there's no way they'd tweet and text each other a lot unless they both got far.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Shakugan posted:

This is a reason why I was super pissed right at the beginning of the season when people in this thread started posting about Spencer and Tony tweeting each other without using spoiler tags. Because there's no way they'd tweet and text each other a lot unless they both got far.

Unless they both got booted pre-jury and had lots of bonding time as they traveled East Asia :allears:

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I don't know. I think Kass is probably right that Tony is her best chance of winning. I don't think she'll beat him but I don't think she'd stand a chance in a final four of Spencer, Tasha, and Woo. So going to the end with the two other abrasive personalities in Tony and Trish kind of makes sense. I don't like it because I wanted to see Tony lose some power and liked Tasha, but I can't really say it was bad for her game.

But I'll ignore the negative and focus on the positive.

I love Woo. As soon as jeff described that reward the first thought I had was of Ethan and Lex's reward. The second was that Woo was going to love it. I wasn't at all disappointed. Woo's just a super cool dude and even if/when he loses its so clear he's going to take so much from this experience. I'm always a sucker for these "take a big bite of life" players even if they're usually pretty dim game players. But here's hoping he can Fabio this bitch.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 04:12 on May 8, 2014

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008
Kass is screwed either way. Either a guaranteed loss against Tasha, Spencer, and Woo, or be at the mercy of a completely unpredictable nut with two idols and some degree of control over both Woo and Trish. I guess I agree with her that the latter is the better choice, but I'm not convinced there wasn't some middle ground-- maybe voting with Spencer, Tasha, and Woo this week, pray Tony plays an idol, eliminate Trish, and then flip back to Tony next week now that he's lost a tighly controlled vote.

paperchaseguy
Feb 21, 2002

THEY'RE GONNA SAY NO

Well, you're in luck, because there is no way she gets voted out before FTC.

Mercaptopropyl
Sep 16, 2006

I can be framed easier than Whistler's Mother

xbilkis posted:

I don't know why people are particularly surprised that people weren't willing to vote out the guy who says he has two idols, one of which has unknowable special powers, with this few people left in the game. It would have been nice if there was any suspense at all that Tony was going, but Tyler Perry Knows Best.

Honestly, based on where Kass is sitting, hoping that everyone hates Tony and doesn't respect Woo's game is by far the best chance she has at getting jury votes. So like, there's a .05% chance of it working. But going with either of Spencer/Tasha would just be an automatic loss.

xbilkis posted:

This is one of the only things I've wanted to see since the merge episode, and to come so close only to have it taken away from me in favor of, like, Spencer boringly explaining why he's a genius would be cruelty.

Every single person could tear her apart, and she would respond to every single person with the same demeanor as when she began, and she would be just as confident that she still had a shot at winning. It would be beautiful.

These are the best posts. Exactly how I feel but worded better than if I'd posted them. Kass will lose 100% of the time against Spencer or Tasha and even she can't rationalize otherwise. There is actually a reason people might vote for Kass over Tony, despite how incredibly unlikely that would be to happen.

I'm hoping for a Kass/Tony final 2. But ultimately the thing I want most from the rest of this show is a chance to see Kass having to face the jury in the finals.

Wren610
Oct 25, 2010
I really think Woo is gonna win.

Spencer needs two immunity wins to get to final three and Tony has to win the final four immunity to get there.

That leaves a final three of Woo,Trish,Kass and Woo can beat those two in front of a jury if its a final two Kass would take Woo over Trish because she cant believe Woo can make a better jury arguement.

Got to keep in mind Trish is sure as hell not getting a winner edit or any edit for that matter so its not her.

I will feel deprived of a great survivor moment if Kass doesn't get to address the jury.

Woo is gonna Fabio the hell out of this thing.

Bright Future
Oct 9, 2007

[let's] fuck that crazy-ass robot
So far the tyler perry idol hasn't really affected the game because everyone this season is a colossal dumbass.

Favorite part of the ep was watching Kass and Tony throw down while Woo stared off into the distance with a beatific look of contentment on his face. :3:

Also Tasha leaving makes me sad. :(

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

TheChad posted:

So far the tyler perry idol hasn't really affected the game because everyone this season is a colossal dumbass.

Favorite part of the ep was watching Kass and Tony throw down while Woo stared off into the distance with a beatific look of contentment on his face. :3:

Tyler perry idol has affected the game. Tony might have played his idol out of uncertainty, but he has a special idol that absorbs all possible risk, so there was never a reason to play either one at the wrong time.

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

TheChad posted:

I agree but Tash is the best voice of reason to enter Ponderosa right now and slap some sense into those other jury knuckleheads in there and lay it all out how and where each of them made it to the Loser's Lounge.

Their demise all boils down to believing Tony's bullshit far too much and far too long and not playing for themselves. She gonna turn a couple of them once their fragile egos get put back into balance.

Bright Future
Oct 9, 2007

[let's] fuck that crazy-ass robot

Fooz posted:

Tyler perry idol has affected the game. Tony might have played his idol out of uncertainty, but he has a special idol that absorbs all possible risk, so there was never a reason to play either one at the wrong time.

Eh, true enough, I just don't think it would have changed anything because they are all really risk adverse dummies.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

The best survivor "Twists" add more layers of strategy to the game. So immunity idols are basically a Get Out of Jail card, but knowing when to play it takes a certain level of skill and luck - making it exciting to watch.

The Perry idol just absorbs all risk, as others have said. It completely fucks the dynamic, since Tony is guaranteed a free pass if his name is every seriously talked about. And because nobody wants to get voted out because they went against the guy with a near permanent immunity he's going to sail to the final tribal.

The idol could certainly have wrecked the game far worse than this, but this is also exactly what I feared when this season began. The fact that its actually been an exciting season prior to this mess is the turd sprinkle on top of the poo poo sandwich.

Metropolis
Apr 6, 2006

TheChad posted:

Same here. I hope she comes back in the next returnee's season. She didn't have a huge personality but she played the game competitively, was reasonable and thus not infuriating to watch, and is ridiculously attractive. It seems it's mostly goofballs or near-winners that get brought back though.

Bjay9
May 3, 2011

Kid, touch is for video games and gynecologists
This is a completely separate post from what this season is about but I'm very interested in the results of this question.

If you were to call a season the "perfect" season, what would your qualifications be?

For me: - Good winner
- Good cast
- No quitters
- No Pagonging
- Interesting challenges

This leads me to believe that Tocantins was the best season of Survivor. Honestly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metropolis
Apr 6, 2006
To me a perfect season would be:

- No returnees
- No quitters of med-evacs. Seeing someone get reluctantly sent home can be interesting but I like the game to be balanced.
- Baller challenges like the ones in Heroes vs. Villains. Ones with a lot of variance so no one type of person can reliably win immunity.
- A couple infuriating contestants that get their comeuppance mid-game
- Three starting tribes
- Idols hidden so well you NEED the clues to find them
- Camp is an Outback Steakhouse with the roof removed

• Locked thread