Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

to be fair, he got fired for being slow, not the complexity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Arch Stanton posted:

Why do you think you can handle the logistics of boxing and unboxing and managing a whole inventory of different items when you already got fired from a job where your only duty is to put the same thing into the same box over and over?

His boss thinks he can, and he's apparently doing just fine at this job so far - he still has it and they're increasing his responsibilities.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Arch Stanton posted:

Why do you think you can handle the logistics of boxing and unboxing and managing a whole inventory of different items when you already got fired from a job where your only duty is to put the same thing into the same box over and over?

Its a minimum wage job selling cheap bulk garbage, I am sure he will get by.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Arch Stanton posted:

This time around there's no direct interaction with customers and no shopping carts or a parking lot full of cars to run them into.

Araenna
Dec 27, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
And isn't he like, in therapy and medicated now? That might help his job performance.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Arch Stanton posted:

I love how this thread shits on Benny even when he is making progress :thumbsup:

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Strategic Tea posted:

I love how this thread shits on Benny even when he is making progress :thumbsup:

Coming to this thread to feel good is a recipe for disaster

Bad Bromance
May 20, 2010

Sorry, guys, I actually do still suck dick! :blush: Also my mom only lets me spend five bucks a month to get my cool gaga avatars back so I guess I'm stuck with this one for a while. :(

Strategic Tea posted:

This, but sincerely

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Just to add one more "getting wisdom teeth pulled" anecdote, I got not only all 4 wisdom teeth removed but also four other teeth at the same time to make room for braces, and while I was swollen and had gauze in my mouth for a bit, it really isn't as unpleasant as you might think.

I had absolutely zero insurance, so the procedure cost about a thousand dollars.

Shelf Adventure
Jul 18, 2006
I'm down with that brother

Arch Stanton posted:

What could he honestly say that wouldn't cause you to poo poo on him? Call him out when he's doing nothing, but all you've done is say "you're poo poo, you're poo poo, your best hope is your parents die and leave you money, you're poo poo, lol why are you even trying? You're poo poo."

What's the point?

CravingSolace
Mar 3, 2012
There will always be someone who shits on Benny.

Benny, kudos for holding down your job and even being trusted with more responsibilities. Considering where you were a year ago, I think this is awesome progress. I don't care if the business might be shady. You're making money and you haven't been fired yet. Also chiming in on wisdom teeth removal- I had all four of mine removed and it wasn't that bad. Especially since they give you painkillers. I hope your insurance kicks in if you need surgery.

Tyrannosaurus
Apr 12, 2006
I don't have any wisdom teeth and its been pretty awesome never having had to get them removed. Good luck with that!

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
I got back from the dentist. I need five fillings for five cavities. I'm also getting a wisdom tooth pulled out because it's giving me pain. All the procedures, plus a cleaning and today's examination, will cost me about $700. It would've cost me about $200 more if I didn't opt for cheaper fillings. In fact, if I was under Medi-Cal, the cheap fillings would be covered. Here's the thing: it was my Mom who applied the whole family for Medi-Cal, so she's the only one who can find out the status of our application. I could've applied on my own and avoided all this but she insisted that we do it as a family so we could all share the costs. It sounded like a good idea at the time, I guess.

I got an excuse note signed by the doctor so I can give it to my manager tomorrow. I'm scheduled for this Friday, next Tuesday, and next Friday for the procedures. I'm saving the tooth extraction and cleaning for last. Fortunately, the doctor prescribes Motrin, so it should be cheap.

I've gotten back into blog writing now that I have money to go out and review movies. It's only a hobby for now, but I like it. I'm having difficulty finding time for Thunderdome, though. I really wanted to enter the epidemic round since I had a really good idea, but I was too busy.

Benny the Snake fucked around with this message at 06:41 on May 8, 2014

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart
Don't worry Benny, Thunderbowl shouldn't be too much of a priority for you now. Focus on the job and the more real-life type stuff, then once you have that more on lockdown you can come back to the 'bowl and try to win off your losertar.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

systran posted:

Don't worry Benny, Thunderbowl shouldn't be too much of a priority for you now. Focus on the job and the more real-life type stuff, then once you have that more on lockdown you can come back to the 'bowl and try to win off your losertar.
Yeah, but I miss it.

Benny the Snake fucked around with this message at 05:00 on May 8, 2014

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

Benny the Snack posted:

endemic round

Dude.

Dude, Benny. Dude. One of those words is literally right there in your avatar, and the other ... just ... gently caress, man. gently caress.

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

I think he meant epidemic.

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This world looks very scary....

This is how I imagine Benny communicating in person:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0OUad17_Pzo

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

Xenocides posted:

Nah, he's an adult baby Hispanic version of Virginia Chance from Raising Hope.

Holy poo poo, he even lives with a non-senile mother/mawmaw.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
Yes, I mistook the adjective "endemic" for the noun "epidemic". Honest mistake.

There was something I forgot to mention about my examination. I have a painfully sensitive tooth and surprisingly there isn't a cavity there or even a loose filling. I've had sensitive teeth for a long time and for some reason there's one that's especially sensitive for no apparent reason.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
Try desensitizing/enamel-building toothpaste like Sensodyne Pronamel.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Xenocides posted:

Speaking of Star Control, what if Benny's mental problems all stemmed from toothache? And now that he's getting it fixed, it'll be like he's casting off his excruciator?

MY PALE GOTH SKIN
Nov 28, 2006

meow

Benny the Snake posted:

Yeah, but I miss it.

you can write up entries for practice when you have time. Not for submission, just for practice. You can probably even find someone to give you generalized feedback.

Eris
Mar 20, 2002
Benny, if you don't spend money you don't really have (you're saving for a car, to move out, dental work, glasses and ... life), then you'll have time to write for Thunderdome.

No, I'm not saying you should never go to the movies or spend money. But to keep in mind that you have choices, and those choices have consequences and opportunity costs.

almightyerin
Apr 16, 2007

The one the only. Accept no substitutes.
Honestly I hate fillings more than extractions. It won't be too bad Benny. Just remember frozen peas will be your friend.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
And black tea bags. They can really help soothe pain if you wet it, then rest on the extraction area. Be so careful not to get a dry socket.

buteruc
Feb 12, 2009

Keep it up, Benny. You're looking after yourself by going to the dentist (even though getting dental work is no fun), which means you're improving yourself. Good job. :unsmith:

Thora
Aug 21, 2006

Look on my Posts, ye Mighty, and despair!
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal Wreck, boundless and bare
The lone and level sands stretch far away

Benny the Snake posted:

Fortunately, the doctor prescribes Motrin, so it should be cheap.

Is this a good thing because it's less expensive under whatever coverage you have? Because over the counter Motrin comes in 200 mg tablets. Four of them equals the 800 mg Motrin he'll probably write the prescription for.

I've never seen someone be happy about being prescribed ibuprofen before.

almightyerin
Apr 16, 2007

Toriori posted:

And black tea bags. They can really help soothe pain if you wet it, then rest on the extraction area. Be so careful not to get a dry socket.

They also help deter bleeding. She explained why to me but I was still sky high from the gas and didn't retain a word of it beyond "do this if you don't stop bleeding". I had a particularly vile extraction a couple weeks ago.
Also seconding the dry socket thing. The last 2 teeth I had pulled, I got a dry socket because I don't listen. It's been almost a month on the last one and it still hurts occasionally.

franco
Jan 3, 2003

Benny the Snake posted:

but I was too busy.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Benny, you're the best :allears:

Benny the Snake posted:

I got an excuse note

If only you could get one for everything.

Brb - gotsta make the most of my 18 hour downtime - it's a wonder how anybody has the time to wash, eat or hang out with friends!

cname
Jan 24, 2013

by Lowtax
Benny, get on your parents about the healthcare situation. You should be as outraged about your family not having health insurance as you were about your mom threatening to take away your comic books. Seriously, not being all over free healthcare when you don't have any is negligent parenting.

I really hope your mom is doing everything she can to ensure the process is going through smoothly.

Don't worry about the wisdom tooth extraction. I don't think they always remove the gums. My oral surgeon used a saw to split the teeth in half, then remove them. It was completely painless, for me.

Also, to the people making GBS threads on Benny's new job, you outta post what you do for a living.

almightyerin
Apr 16, 2007

If she drags her feet about it just go on and apply for yourself. If one of those teeth abscesses while you're waiting you're going to be miserable. Trust me.

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

so, 168 hours a week. assuming 30 for work, and giving you a generous 2 hours a day for commute, you're left with 128. assuming you sleep 10 hours a day because you're depressed, that leaves 58 hours a week. cooking/eating 3 times a day is like, 3 hours max (i'm being very conservative here) leaves you with 37. another 7 down for hygiene related activities takes you down to 30.

You want to be a writer, and you can't squeeze 2 hours of writing into the AT LEAST 30 hours minimum of free time you have each week?

I think what you mean to say is that writing isn't a priority for you right now. Watching TV/reading comics/whatever you do with your free time is more important than writing at this stage in your life. But don't pretend you don't have time. Almost all people who write in TD have day jobs, families, spouses, school, etc.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Toriori posted:

Benny is gonna get dry socket and it'll be hilarious :allears:

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

Benny is gonna get dry socket and it'll be hilarious :allears:

I didn't get a dry socket because I was being hyper-careful about taking care of my stitches, though I will be kind as to not divulge my own wisdom tooth extraction experience at least until Benny has his out.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

cname posted:

Seriously, not being all over free healthcare when you don't have any is negligent parenting.

Benny is (technically) a grown man who can take care of his own welfare benefits. There is no such thing as negligent parenting of an adult

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

Is there even open enrollment for healthcare anymore, or is Medi-Cal year 'round?

Benny, figure out the status of your current application. Make your mom figure it out. If you're not covered under her, just apply for yourself, since she doesn't seem to care overly much and you have actual pressing health concerns (your drat teeth).

Tyrannosaurus
Apr 12, 2006
Was the tooth the root of all his problems? Was it perhaps cursed?

Let's find out.

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

Tyrannosaurus posted:

Was the tooth the root of all his problems? Was it perhaps cursed?

Let's find out.

Cursed teeth are actually one of the leading causes of unemployment in modern times, especially in the United States. I blame a decline in tooth fairy populations due to pesticides, myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

An excuse note.

• Locked thread