Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Lord Of Texas posted:

Not to mention a large portion of the Magic playerbase wasn't alive or was in diapers when Homelands was released. We are old.
There are kids at FNM who weren't alive when Urza was last a player in the storyline. So old.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Attorney at Funk posted:

I can't imagine what fresh hell you must occupy as a guy who's sincerely nostalgic for Homelands.

Eh, pretty much the same one I occupy as a guy who's nostalgic for every block of the Weatherlight saga, as well as a few afterwards like Time Spiral (yes, at this point I'm nostalgic for the nostalgia block, as funny as that sounds) and Lorwyn. It's not like Wizards throwing babies out with bathwater is a new thing to me at this point.

None of which means that I want to exactly mechanically replicate the worse cards from those sets. If another Balduvian Shaman or Icatian Moneychanger never gets printed, it's fine by me. But somehow people seem to assume (disingenuously or not) that this must be what someone wants whenever they let slip any nostalgia for sets of that era.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Ramos posted:

Hasbro has declared its two popular products, My Little Pony: The Collectible Card Game and Magic the Gathering, to be compatible. Both the casual and competitive scene now see regular play of cards like Twilight Sparkle and Pinky Pie alongside old favorites like Thassa and Grey Merchant.

Don't joke about it. All it will take is for one corpulent Hasbro VP to see dollar signs and send out a memo, and the "Friendship is Magic" block is born.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
So I'm sure this has been asked a lot before but I don't keep up with this thread a lot. What's up with Prophetic Flamespeaker? Why is it a mythic? Why is it in a bunch of decks I've seen lately? It seems like you gotta have Titan's Strength or Ghor-Clan Rampager or something to do anything with him and even if it doesn't get Doom Bladed or whatever you probably won't be able to play whatever card you flip over unless it's a land. Can someone please enlighten me?

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Why wouldn't you be able to play what you get?

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

This is just making me really wish I'd played during Scars block because those trailers are cool as poo poo.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Dr. Stab posted:

Because in order to get him to connect you had to spend mana that turn to do so.

Promoted Pawn
Jun 8, 2005

oops

Promoted Pawn posted:

If I had that in cardboard I'd be very tempted to reassemble my Hanna EDH deck even if nobody else found it fun to play against.

Or I guess I could just play it without Stasis or Mindslaver, but that's much less fun for me.

RoleModel posted:

SWEET JESUS

That FoW promo is going to be crazy expensive, and the Elesh Norn promo is amazing.

Seriously. Want that Hanna.

Also I'm willing to bet that Nekusar is going to be the 2nd most expensive card out of that lot behind FoW. He's the most popular new commander from the 2013 decks and the only other foil of him is the oversized.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

TheKingofSprings posted:

Because in order to get him to connect you had to spend mana that turn to do so.

So? If you Titan's Strength the guy, you're still probably getting in for 4 trample. Even if you can't play the card, you've traded 1 card for 4 damage and a creature.

Now that's what I call value.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Elephant Ambush posted:

So I'm sure this has been asked a lot before but I don't keep up with this thread a lot. What's up with Prophetic Flamespeaker? Why is it a mythic? Why is it in a bunch of decks I've seen lately? It seems like you gotta have Titan's Strength or Ghor-Clan Rampager or something to do anything with him and even if it doesn't get Doom Bladed or whatever you probably won't be able to play whatever card you flip over unless it's a land. Can someone please enlighten me?

I can tell, you're not much of a red player. Part of winning with red is taking opportunities when they count. Your job isn't to make sure Prophetic Flamespeaker hits, it's your job to present him and then take advantage of him when he does hit. Otherwise, he's scary as poo poo for the opponent considering that two extra cards for red might just be two lightning bolts to the face.

He's extra backbone to help you along, not what you build the deck around. It's similar to Eidolon of the Great Revel. People think hate card with it, but it's a lot of extended reach for red. Whatever damage it deals you, it can also be dealing that much to the opponent. Either they play cards and get closer to death or don't play cards and get punched anyway. It's all about opportunity and two more cards for red is a lot of opportunity.

Not to mention, he's flexible as gently caress too, pump ready when needed, a decent enough swinger otherwise.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
Sort of beaten while I was typing this, but:

TheKingofSprings posted:

Well, let's assume that the turn after you cast him (i.e. the first turn you swing) you have access to four mana total--fairly reasonable, especially after he gives you an extra two chances to "draw" a land. Even if you spend two mana to burn a blocker or bloodrush the flamespeaker, you still have a decent chance of being able to cast something you flip if your deck's mana curve is well built.

The important thing to keep in mind, I think, is that even if you effectively brick on one or both of the "draws" for a turn, you're still in a great position. Especially if you bloodrushed him, you probably just obliterated a blocker and took a chunk out of your opponent's life total. And the next turn you'll probably have more mana, and more the turn after that, and so on and so forth. Unless your opponent removes it--which isn't supremely unlikely, but let's not get into "dies to removal"--then swinging with it is just going to keep being awesome, one way or another, until you win.

At least that's how I see it.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Ramos posted:

I can tell, you're not much of a red player. Part of winning with red is taking opportunities when they count. Your job isn't to make sure Prophetic Flamespeaker hits, it's your job to present him and then take advantage of him when he does hit. Otherwise, he's scary as poo poo for the opponent considering that two extra cards for red might just be two lightning bolts to the face.

He's extra backbone to help you along, not what you build the deck around. It's similar to Eidolon of the Great Revel. People think hate card with it, but it's a lot of extended reach for red. Whatever damage it deals you, it can also be dealing that much to the opponent. Either they play cards and get closer to death or don't play cards and get punched anyway. It's all about opportunity and two more cards for red is a lot of opportunity.

Not to mention, he's flexible as gently caress too, pump ready when needed, a decent enough swinger otherwise.

I'm actually a primarily red player which is why it confused me. I like the comparison to Eidolon of Great Revel. That makes more sense. He's mostly a threat and a removal target, and if you can buff him with a combat trick then all the better. Thanks.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

RoleModel posted:

SWEET JESUS

That FoW promo is going to be crazy expensive, and the Elesh Norn promo is amazing.

Norn is sweet as hell like everyone is saying, but hot drat do I love those old frame swords. Artifacts are supposed to be brown not loving silver.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Elephant Ambush posted:

I'm actually a primarily red player which is why it confused me. I like the comparison to Eidolon of Great Revel. That makes more sense. He's mostly a threat and a removal target, and if you can buff him with a combat trick then all the better. Thanks.

Fair enough. But yeah, the card has a lot of psychology surrounding it and while he's a tad bit low on the damage output for where he is on the curve by himself, he's really capable of a lot. If nothing else, hitting with him may sometimes mean clearing out two lands that you would have been stuck with otherwise.

Really, he has more utility every time I look at him.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Ramos posted:

Fair enough. But yeah, the card has a lot of psychology surrounding it and while he's a tad bit low on the damage output for where he is on the curve by himself, he's really capable of a lot. If nothing else, hitting with him may sometimes mean clearing out two lands that you would have been stuck with otherwise.

Really, he has more utility every time I look at him.

I think what I need to do is just play him in a deck with Ghor-Clan Rampager and see what happens. Clearly they made him mythic for a reason.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Elephant Ambush posted:

I think what I need to do is just play him in a deck with Ghor-Clan Rampager and see what happens. Clearly they made him mythic for a reason.

I'd personally prefer Lightning Strike or something like that. His trample allows his damage to go through regardless if you kill off things blocking him.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?
I'm actually curious if he might make Pyrewild Shaman playable - if I understand the triggers correctly, you would be able to see both "bonus draws" from Flamespeaker before deciding whether to recur Pyrewild Shaman during your regular combat damage step. It's probably still too cute, but being able to recur Pyrewild when you brick is a neat interaction.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

Bugsy posted:

Norn is sweet as hell like everyone is saying, but hot drat do I love those old frame swords. Artifacts are supposed to be brown not loving silver.

I think it's been a long time since artifacts have been portrayed as ancient magical relics discovered in dig sites.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Niton posted:

I'm actually curious if he might make Pyrewild Shaman playable - if I understand the triggers correctly, you would be able to see both "bonus draws" from Flamespeaker before deciding whether to recur Pyrewild Shaman during your regular combat damage step. It's probably still too cute, but being able to recur Pyrewild when you brick is a neat interaction.

It could work, plus lets you can repeated value of your cards without having to cast stuff, since while Eidolon of Great Revel's damage isn't as big of drawback as people think, it still hurts.

Still, Prophetic Flamespeaker lends itself to burn, maybe counter burn, that might be hanging a tad too far out of the range.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Elephant Ambush posted:

Forget Rampager, try Madcap Skills. A match made in heaven.

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON

RoleModel posted:

SWEET JESUS

I've already just shelled out for a Hanna pack foil and I have no problems whatsoever with demoting it to a "Whoops-got-Hindered" proxy. The worst part of this announcement? Listening to one of my friends complain that it's underwhelming because it "looks too much like Sydri." :argh:

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

So who is going to GP Manchester? I don't have any byes and I have not attended anything above FNM, but it's only 100 or so miles away from me so I am going just for the experience. What can I expect from a GP and what are some good rules to follow regarding one in general? I watched the official GP video on it, but is there anything else I need to know in regards to playing and preparation?

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Samael posted:

So who is going to GP Manchester? I don't have any byes and I have not attended anything above FNM, but it's only 100 or so miles away from me so I am going just for the experience. What can I expect from a GP and what are some good rules to follow regarding one in general? I watched the official GP video on it, but is there anything else I need to know in regards to playing and preparation?

I'm going, but I don't have prior GP experience myself. Be prepared however you can, bring all the decks you'd like to play, with lists, and sleeves and boxes if you plan to do limited.

There's GPTs on the Friday, I think you pay once and need a 5 game streak to get 2 byes and a sleep in special upgrade.

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

BizarroAzrael posted:

I'm going, but I don't have prior GP experience myself. Be prepared however you can, bring all the decks you'd like to play, with lists, and sleeves and boxes if you plan to do limited.

There's GPTs on the Friday, I think you pay once and need a 5 game streak to get 2 byes and a sleep in special upgrade.

Okay. What block constructed deck are you going to try? I am trying something like this-

7 Plains
8 Swamp
4 Mana Confluence
4 Temple of Silence
4 Agent of the Fates
4 Eidolon of Countless Battles
4 Herald of Torment
4 Hero of Iroas
2 Hopeful Eidolon
3 Pain Seer
4 Spiteful Returned
2 Bile Blight
4 Gods Willing
2 Athreos, God of Passage
4 Thoughtseize

Sideboard-

3 Dark Betrayal
2 Hopeful Eidolon
4 Nighthowler
3 Deicide
3 Hero’s Downfall

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
I love that Judge Promo Sword of Feast and Famine. Have they ever done something like that before?

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

forbidden lesbian posted:

I love that Judge Promo Sword of Feast and Famine. Have they ever done something like that before?

Yes, http://magic.tcgplayer.com/db/magic_single_card.asp?cn=Sword%20of%20Fire%20and%20Ice&sn=Judge%20Promos

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

ungulateman posted:

Ashling the Planeswalker should totes be a thing.

Whether it's the Pilgrim or the Extinguisher, well, you'll just have to find out... :getin:
Perfect for when they reprint flip cards! :getin:

GoutPatrol posted:

Ugh I want that Neilsen Hanna so bad and I know it is going to be rediculously expensive.
Yeah, tell me about it. I'd like to think they'll give us a non-foil version of that art on paper, cause it owns a ton, but I doubt that's likely in the least.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

GoutPatrol posted:

Ugh I want that Neilsen Hanna so bad and I know it is going to be rediculously expensive.

The Xiahou Dun promo started out at like $80, then slid down to $20 as the demand saturated. Hanna isn't played anywhere but EDH either, and she's been printed much more widely than XHD ever was, so there's no reason to think the promo will settle out to be much more expensive than the current pack-foil price, which is $25 - not bargain-basement, but not unattainable either.

Now that FoW promo, jesus drat. I can only hope it causes a dip in the regular FoW price, so I can pick up my playset without slashing my wrists, but it's not a sure thing at all.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

LordSaturn posted:

The Xiahou Dun promo started out at like $80, then slid down to $20 as the demand saturated. Hanna isn't played anywhere but EDH either, and she's been printed much more widely than XHD ever was, so there's no reason to think the promo will settle out to be much more expensive than the current pack-foil price, which is $25 - not bargain-basement, but not unattainable either.

Now that FoW promo, jesus drat. I can only hope it causes a dip in the regular FoW price, so I can pick up my playset without slashing my wrists, but it's not a sure thing at all.

Estimates are 1200-1500 judges from 2005 and up that will be eligable for it. If its 1 copy each, well consider that players wanting a full playset its going to be insanely expensive and make no impact on regular FoW price at all. That is my opinion anyway. Most of the finance people are talking $500-1000+ per card. I wonder if most judges will hold them given its all l2's and up, and we assume 1 per judge.

On the flip side, 'dat Elesh Norn. I must have one.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Ojetor posted:

Forget Rampager, try Madcap Skills. A match made in heaven.

Ugh I always forget about Madcap and I don't know why. I'll keep that in mind too.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Hey remember when that one goon said that he'd rebuild his Hanna edh deck if they reprinted her with that really good art even if his play group hated it. That was about week or so ago.
Funny how that works.

Unrelated. Gimme dat Nekusar

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

Gynovore posted:

Don't joke about it. All it will take is for one corpulent Hasbro VP to see dollar signs and send out a memo, and the "Friendship is Magic" block is born.
For all we know, it could already be in development. Spooooooky!

vOv posted:

This is just making me really wish I'd played during Scars block because those trailers are cool as poo poo.
You don't really, Scars block was poo poo. Awful limited format and miserable Standard.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

JerryLee posted:

Ehh, I could have been more specific, but I had a non-humanoid artifact character in mind. Don't get me wrong, I love Karn, but a golem is still very much in "make sure it has a humanoid face, torso, and limbs, otherwise it won't be relatable!!!" territory.

I still want an Ooze planeswalker. Just a magical glob of aether and plasma that osmoses through the Blind Eternities. I don't even want it to be sentient. Give it all sorts of goofy storyline properties that turn it into the block's magical macguffin.

Hell, make it the congealed afterbirth of The Mending, semi-solidified after the Multiverse cooled.

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse

Nehru the Damaja posted:

I still want an Ooze planeswalker. Just a magical glob of aether and plasma that osmoses through the Blind Eternities. I don't even want it to be sentient. Give it all sorts of goofy storyline properties that turn it into the block's magical macguffin.
It's actually a thing in the background of Magic that only sentient, living creatures can become PWs, though I think people mostly just have the spark randomly at birth, though there are apparently ways to artifically make a spark, as well as ways to move one around.

Basically, it's kinda like some people are born with the keys to the universe in their heart, but it is totally possible to then get those keys copied at Wal-Mart.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Ramos posted:

It could work, plus lets you can repeated value of your cards without having to cast stuff, since while Eidolon of Great Revel's damage isn't as big of drawback as people think, it still hurts.

Still, Prophetic Flamespeaker lends itself to burn, maybe counter burn, that might be hanging a tad too far out of the range.

The card doesn't actually say "Draw a card" on it. I don't think playing counterspells on your turn is a good plan.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Veyrall posted:

It's actually a thing in the background of Magic that only sentient, living creatures can become PWs, though I think people mostly just have the spark randomly at birth, though there are apparently ways to artifically make a spark, as well as ways to move one around.

Basically, it's kinda like some people are born with the keys to the universe in their heart, but it is totally possible to then get those keys copied at Wal-Mart.

Sure but when we're talking about a Mending-born glob of aether, who's to say it's not made of the amalgamated sparks of dead and disempowered walkers?

I mean it'll never happen because you can't sell it as some sort of aspirational identity to moody teens or whatever, but if that weren't a problem, I'm sure you can handwave all sorts of other poo poo to bring it to light.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Dr. Stab posted:

Because you have to spend mana on buffing Flamespeaker in the first place.

Mushroomfarmer
Jul 14, 2007

Does anyone have a link for the site that does price comparison by set that replaced http://ark42.com/mtg/pricevisualizer.php>? I lucked out and for some reason my Target had one of those $30 boxes with a 2011 commander deck and a bunch of misc precons that I want to price out quickly.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

http://mtg.dawnglare.com

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

Suffering at the factory of sadness every year.

Count Bleck posted:

Hey remember when that one goon said that he'd rebuild his Hanna edh deck if they reprinted her with that really good art even if his play group hated it. That was about week or so ago.
Funny how that works.

Unrelated. Gimme dat Nekusar

My Nekusar deck is calling for that card to be its Commander...anything to make the deck shinier is good for me.

• Locked thread