Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Schwack posted:

Oh, no question he was easier. He's also a lazily designed mess.

Yeah probably. Vendrick and the Ancient Dragon are lovely bosses. Vendrick at least has the courtesy to be tolerably lovely.

Ancient Dragon manages to be worse than Bed of Chaos. That's...not applause worthy but it's something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

I think something may be wrong with me, because after a few playthroughs now, I find myself really enjoying the Ruin Sentinel fight. It's chaotic enough to be exciting without being dangerous enough to be threatening.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

kazil posted:

I think something may be wrong with me, because after a few playthroughs now, I find myself really enjoying the Ruin Sentinel fight. It's chaotic enough to be exciting without being dangerous enough to be threatening.
It's probably one of the boss fights in the game that offers a good level of challenge without dumb gimmicks.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

What the hell is this giant ant doing here in the gutter? It seems like a friendly ant, I think I will leave it alone.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

Control Volume posted:

What the hell is this giant ant doing here in the gutter? It seems like a friendly ant, I think I will leave it alone.
It's busy farting in a cave.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Control Volume posted:

It is a friendly ant that cures poison but breaks your gear.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Captain Oblivious posted:

Yeah probably. Vendrick and the Ancient Dragon are lovely bosses. Vendrick at least has the courtesy to be tolerably lovely.

Ancient Dragon manages to be worse than Bed of Chaos. That's...not applause worthy but it's something?

Vendrick would be ok if he were more aggressive or else had less health. It just gets a little tedious after a while. Ancient Dragon can go gently caress itself though, it has more health than any other boss and can instantly kill you. NG+ it takes so long to kill that my weapons break at around a quarter health, it's really stupid. If you bring people in t gets easier to keep it from doing the awful instant kill (assuming your phantoms aren't idiots that set it off) but it gets so much health that you can barely see the bar move when you hit it.

Them being the only bosses in the entire game that resist lightning doesn't help my heavy faith build either. I could reallocate for the dragon but :effort:

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Elysiume posted:

It is a friendly ant that cures poison but breaks your gear.

Looking forward to VaatiVidya youtube explaining how the farting friendly ant is what remains of Aldia after he tried to rescue his girlfriend Melinda.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Trying to shade for old iron king, people keep dying to his flamethrower attacks. Hosts invariably just stand in front of him instead of running to the obvious safe spot around the corner, and die from full HP. Amazing.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Bobnumerotres posted:

Trying to shade for old iron king, people keep dying to his flamethrower attacks. Hosts invariably just stand in front of him instead of running to the obvious safe spot around the corner, and die from full HP. Amazing.

To be fair, if he stands on the right side of the arena there is no safe spot. I have no idea what triggers him to spawn on what side but the fight is a little harder when he doesn't give you the free heal spot. Not a lot harder (he melted to GLS and Sunlight Spear in ng+ before he even reached the platform for me, it was pathetic) but still.

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS
Warning!: Scroll down quick and don't click the thumbnail to avoid possible out-of-context spoilers!!!

So apparently, 481 fire resist allows you to survive the Ancient Dragon's flying firebreath and the normal firebreath. Flash Sweat seals the deal.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.
So in ng+ since I already have 5 giant souls from regular ng, can I just go straight to killing Vendrick without having to get them again?

Orv
May 4, 2011

Leper Residue posted:

So in ng+ since I already have 5 giant souls from regular ng, can I just go straight to killing Vendrick without having to get them again?

Yes.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Leper Residue posted:

Yes you can!

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I thought that twohanding a weapon reduces the requirements you need for it? Or is it only for the strength requirement? Early on I tried to twohand the heide knight sword so I had something less lovely than the dagger but the game penalized me anyway with slower swings and reduced damage. I didn't meet either str or dex requirement at the time.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
If you have 0 Giant Souls and attempt to fight Vendrick that first time, he actually has reduced defenses.

RBA Starblade posted:

I thought that twohanding a weapon reduces the requirements you need for it? Or is it only for the strength requirement? Early on I tried to twohand the heide knight sword so I had something less lovely than the dagger but the game penalized me anyway with slower swings and reduced damage. I didn't meet either str or dex requirement at the time.
It's only for str. Two handing is a 2x bonus

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Leper Residue posted:

Yeah you can go back to back from Velstadt to Vendrick. Doesn't stack past five so there's no point in getting the others. You technically could with none, too but you do so little damage that you'd spend like ten minutes or more just whittling him down enough that the fight starts.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Nahxela posted:

It's only for str. Two handing is a 2x bonus

Thanks, figured I was just misremembering it. Thanks to killing the pursuer in his one time only arena, I got fifteen (!) level ups in so I'm good now. Also got my dual caestuses (caesti?), a mace, and a longsword. Just need a crossbow and a greatsword/hammer now. I plan on trying out a lot of the melee weapons this time to make up for using only three or four of them last game. I just wish the crows gave me the great hammer or whip instead of the white ring to start with, but I guess you can't have everything.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Nahxela posted:

If you have 0 Giant Souls and attempt to fight Vendrick that first time, he actually has reduced defenses.

4-5 giant souls kind of reduced defenses? That's so weird.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

Awesome news. I've got 6 of em, and don't really feel like fighting the ancient dragon again or anything.

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

Someone needs to stop this! Sherman has lost his mind! Peyton is completely unable to defend himself out there!
With 50 Faith should I be infusing all my weapons with lightning for the bonus or is it worth it to bother with more diversity?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Schwack posted:

With 50 Faith should I be infusing all my weapons with lightning for the bonus or is it worth it to bother with more diversity?

If faith is your best stat by far there's zero reason to infuse with anything but lightning. Find something cool with innate lightning damage and don't do it with something that does some other form of damage, though.

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

Bobnumerotres posted:

4-5 giant souls kind of reduced defenses? That's so weird.

Without any giant souls his health is effectively multiplied by 32x. Each giant soul (not the lost giant's soul) reduces this by a factor of 2.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Yeah, go to gently caress Darklurker!

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Manatee Cannon posted:

If faith is your best stat by far there's zero reason to infuse with anything but lightning. Find something cool with innate lightning damage and don't do it with something that does some other form of damage, though.

Defender Greatsword works great for this, since it gets an S-scaling in Faith at +5. Although you can't use Sunlight Blade on it, it gets its own special weapon buff (10 durability, two-handed parry) which I think is close to equivalent.

Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?

Alan Smithee posted:

I thought Vendrick was easier personally

I had to wear anti-fire gear just to survive a single breathe attack and that was full health only.

Shoulda gone full man-mode 30% health for red tearstone ring :getin:. But yeah Vendrick was way easier since you just do the good'ol circle strafe and I could eat two hits from him.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

Orv posted:

25% of their next level cost.

Definitely a hacker then welp time to push through to NG+ and see if this character is hosed or not.

Darke GBF
Dec 30, 2006

The cold never bothered me anyway~

Manatee Cannon posted:

Yeah you can go back to back from Velstadt to Vendrick. Doesn't stack past five so there's no point in getting the others. You technically could with none, too but you do so little damage that you'd spend like ten minutes or more just whittling him down enough that the fight starts.

Well, unless you have bleed weapons. But it takes quite a few swings to trigger a bleed effect on him and it's still only 200 damage.

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My defenses are impregnable
My arms are tired
Is there any place where people don't have a bannana-phantom summoned?
Invasions seem awful now as just about every time it becomes a 3v1.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Captain Oblivious posted:

I actually think the game almost overstays its welcome is the issue. It's TOO long and by the end I just wanted it over with.

This is absolutely the problem. Too many areas, too many bosses, and not enough thought put into a good portion of them. The enemy placement is good in places, but it's nowhere near the level of thoughtful and purposeful design of the previous game. Each boss has one or two cool tricks but few are the cases where those tricks act in service to a well-realized whole. I still like DkS2 a lot, don't get me wrong, but it's a far cry from its predecessor.

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

Someone needs to stop this! Sherman has lost his mind! Peyton is completely unable to defend himself out there!

Time_pants posted:

This is absolutely the problem. Too many areas, too many bosses, and not enough thought put into a good portion of them. The enemy placement is good in places, but it's nowhere near the level of thoughtful and purposeful design of the previous game. Each boss has one or two cool tricks but few are the cases where those tricks act in service to a well-realized whole. I still like DkS2 a lot, don't get me wrong, but it's a far cry from its predecessor.

I'm glad I'm not the only one feelin this way. I just finished it tonight and, while I enjoyed it overall, I found myself more frustrated with this one that the other two. I'll definitely buy the next game on launch day, but I hope more effort goes into it. On top of the cheap difficulty in lots of places the AI can be downright stupid. While I was doing Vendrick he started walking face first into a wall for awhile which let me wail on his butt. During one of the giant memories the giants would repeatedly 'trip' (flip onto their backs) if I drug them over a certain spot. Dumber enemies with more annoying attacks I guess.

edit: And yeah, its too long. The end is really drawn out.

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx

Time_pants posted:

Yeah the way I've been playing the game is basically "run past 10 enemies, use bonfire. Run past 10 enemies, fight boss. Run past 10 enemies, use bonfire. Run past 10 more enemies, fight another boss."

I know you could run by stuff in DS1 too, but that's not my complaint. My complaint is that there's too many bosses and not enough between them.

No Man's Wharf, the Gutter, and the very short archer lava area in Iron Keep before smelter were the only non-boss areas that took me more than 3 minutes to complete/run through. What's in Black Gulch? I couldn't tell you, I got to the bonfire then ran to the boss and killed him. This took about 3 minutes.

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS
Woah, DS1 took me 120 hours with one character. I did Sunbro a lot there, but I did in DS2 also. In less than 116 hours, I've completed DS2 twice with two different characters and took one to the beginning of new game +. I'm still making my mage look around for some more items.

BoonyPC
Feb 19, 2007

Jamfrost posted:

Woah, DS1 took me 120 hours with one character. I did Sunbro a lot there, but I did in DS2 also. In less than 116 hours, I've completed DS2 twice with two different characters and took one to the beginning of new game +. I'm still making my mage look around for some more items.

Haha I was thinking the same thing...my only character on dark souls has 100+ hours and only just finished while in about 40 hours less I've nearly done 2 run throughs of this game.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

BoonyPC posted:

Haha I was thinking the same thing...my only character on dark souls has 100+ hours and only just finished while in about 40 hours less I've nearly done 2 run throughs of this game.

Dark souls was a 40 hour game. Dark Souls 2 is also 40ish hours. I don't know what you spent 100 hours doing.

Orv
May 4, 2011
I get most of those complaints except "the ending is too long". I went from intentionally stalling my progress after each pre-Drangleic branch to do some PvP to Whoops, game is over in four hours of solid progress one day.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

Bobnumerotres posted:

Dark souls was a 40 hour game. Dark Souls 2 is also 40ish hours. I don't know what you spent 100 hours doing.

For me at 60 hours...sunbroing and pvping. And wandering around and getting lost and dying.

BoonyPC
Feb 19, 2007

Bobnumerotres posted:

20 hours trying to connect with friends
10 AFK
30 dieing when drunk or :420:
40 playing game??

I remember my mind being blown when my friend showed me you could walk down the stairs at firelink shrine, I just missed that way completely :D

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
So whats up with the bell covenent? After finishing up my no-death run I wanted to do all the covenents except I can't get any summons to defend the bell. I only have 1.3 million SM my SL is like 142. is my memory too low or too high?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Nuebot posted:

So whats up with the bell covenent? After finishing up my no-death run I wanted to do all the covenents except I can't get any summons to defend the bell. I only have 1.3 million SM my SL is like 142. is my memory too low or too high?

Bells seem really inconsistent.