Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
18 GB? Ouch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

How is the co-op? Is it limited to subset of missions or some other mode? Or is it for a giant campaign mode?

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
I think all but like, 1 or 2 missions are coop. The story levels you are given 2-4 characters to choose from each level, but you can play any level in free mode which lets you pick any character, and for most fights either side.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

King of the Cosmos posted:

Just a quick heads-up: If you have been waiting for the PC/Steam version of DW8XL:Complete, it just came up today on the Steam store for pre-order. Score!

It has a store page and a price, but no pre-order yet, at least on the US store.

TroubledWaters
Aug 9, 2007

Some kind of...
oil trap!
I am really excited for 8CE to hit Steam. Glad I held off buying XL!

Shot in the dark- is there any way to play RoTK XI as a non-ruler character on the PC version? Is there a good English copy of X anywhere I can buy?

It's such a shame I haven't been able to pull off disloyal vassal hilarity since X and the PS2 days.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.
Anyone know why the Steam version's store page shows Partial Controller Support?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

grrarg posted:

Anyone know why the Steam version's store page shows Partial Controller Support?
As a controller-only Steam user, I have to say that sometimes I just don't know. Sometimes its something obvious like a menu or launcher program or something that doesn't support controllers, and sometimes its subtle like using the xbox button for something and not letting Steam use it for accessing the menu.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Well hopefully it's just them being careful because the PC version of DW7 worked perfectly fine with an xbox controller.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
I just hope it works with my Logitech thing from a little ago. Even shaped like a PS2 pad.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Does DW8 let you have a retinue of guards like one of the older titles did? I remember discovering that bow-using bodyguards could absolutely wreck crowds of enemies and it ruled. And then in one of the later titles, the bow-using player character ended up being unexpectedly awesome too. He had like a shotgun spread of arrows for his heavy attack.

Edit: Here's hoping the local co-op icon pops up on that Steam page before release!

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Personally I'm more excited for steamworks co-op, hopefully they make it quick and simple.

And supposedly it's $49.99 US? It doesn't say on the page, but if you search for it that's the price it gives. Thank god too, because I would have paid 60, but 50 is a lot better.

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Do you see how he's a cat?

Anonymous Robot posted:

Does DW8 let you have a retinue of guards like one of the older titles did? I remember discovering that bow-using bodyguards could absolutely wreck crowds of enemies and it ruled. And then in one of the later titles, the bow-using player character ended up being unexpectedly awesome too. He had like a shotgun spread of arrows for his heavy attack.

One of the game modes lets you have another playable character as a bodguard (or any three officers in XL), but the bodyguard system from the older games is gone.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Anonymous Robot posted:

And then in one of the later titles, the bow-using player character ended up being unexpectedly awesome too. He had like a shotgun spread of arrows for his heavy attack.
If you're talking about Huang Zhong and not Xiahou Yuan, yeah, Huang Zhong was great. I loved how his jump charge move made him do a crazy flip while shooting arrows, I used that to get around half the time.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Elliotw2 posted:

Orochi 3 fixes some of the grind issues from the previous game, but it still has some if you wanna unlock all the side missions.

Yeah as much as I love Orochi 3 it takes way too long to level up bonds, which is required to unlock some characters.

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Twelve by Pies posted:

Yeah as much as I love Orochi 3 it takes way too long to level up bonds, which is required to unlock some characters.

Did you never use the Teahouse? By the end of the game bonds are incredibly easy to max out.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Maleketh posted:

Did you never use the Teahouse? By the end of the game bonds are incredibly easy to max out.

The problem is that if you use the tea house you're going to have to grind out money instead of rep because it eats that right up. That and you still have to do three battles with each partner per character.

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Jibo posted:

The problem is that if you use the tea house you're going to have to grind out money instead of rep because it eats that right up. That and you still have to do three battles with each partner per character.

You only need to play one battle to get bonds up to the point where they'll unlock levels. And I don't remember money ever being a problem.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Maleketh posted:

You only need to play one battle to get bonds up to the point where they'll unlock levels. And I don't remember money ever being a problem.

It really depends on what weapon improvements you go with. If you take the one that boosts gem drops then money is an issue. If you don't use that, then yeah gems don't come as easily (still not that big an issue).

Doomsayer
Sep 2, 2008

I have no idea what I'm doing, but that's never been a problem before.

It is annoying to have to grind but one of the battles (Tong Gate Redux? I think?) takes like 30 seconds if you run through.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I've gotta thank this thread for letting me know Three Kingdoms 2010 exists. I'm at the part where it turns into the Zhuge Liang Show for a while and it's just glorious. :allears:

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Maleketh posted:

Yeah but if you do that that means you probably won't be unlocking any extra stages/characters until chapter 4, since the banquet options in the teahouse are expensive and don't raise bonds all that much. For example, in chapter 2, the medium option is the best one you have and it costs over 10,000 gems, and only raises bonds by 50, meaning you have to do it I believe five or six times to get to the point where you can level the bond with a single battle, and that would mean grinding for gems and probably not buying any weapons. Moon Viewing twice with one character gets them to the point where a single battle will level (and has a fixed cost of 3000) but again, that's not available until chapter 4. If you're like me and want to unlock every level as soon as it shows up, then it takes a long time.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Finally playing Lu Bu's story in DW8 XL, this is like some Yakuza levels of manly badassery. Tigers attacking you? Just appeal to their sense of strength for instant taming. :allears:

Policenaut posted:

So Warriors Orochi 3 Ultimate is more or less confirmed to be coming overseas. There's been like 4 different European ratings board leaks at this point.

Sweeeet, now I just need that "SW4 coming to the west" announcement and I'll be set.

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 15:53 on May 9, 2014

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

So Warriors Orochi 3 Ultimate is more or less confirmed to be coming overseas. There's been like 4 different European ratings board leaks at this point.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Why is Koei refusing to put up an actual pre-order on Steam, agh. Let me buy your game, asshats.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
Did DW8 have an Empires mode? Because if so I'm so in for this (I'm in for it anyway once they let us buy it).

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Why is Koei refusing to put up an actual pre-order on Steam, agh. Let me buy your game, asshats.

You can add it to your cart from here: http://steamdb.info/app/278080/

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Shima Honnou posted:

Did DW8 have an Empires mode? Because if so I'm so in for this (I'm in for it anyway once they let us buy it).

Empires is a separate game. It will likely get a release eventually, but isn't part of the main package.

Yardbomb posted:

Sweeeet, now I just need that "SW4 coming to the west" announcement and I'll be set.

They've already said that.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

The SW4 director guy has said it'll come out this Summer but we've yet to see any background evidence like these ratings board leaks, but we'll probably hear about it at E3 next month.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Hakkesshu posted:

You can add it to your cart from here: http://steamdb.info/app/278080/

Eh, I have a big Steam account so I'd rather not risk it with some workaround like that. I'm impatient but not THAT impatient.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Eh, I have a big Steam account so I'd rather not risk it with some workaround like that. I'm impatient but not THAT impatient.

It's not a weird workaround, it's a side-effect of the way the Steam API works. It's like embedding a Youtube video. It just straight up adds the game to your cart, and you're still paying for it through your account just like normal, there's no funny proxy poo poo going on and it's not against the rules.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 20:24 on May 9, 2014

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013
How does Warriors Orochi 3 compare to Dynasty Warriors 8: Xtreme Legends Complete? Hearing that WO3 is coming out in the West makes me happy to be able to play Sterk and company, but is DW8:XLC significantly better?

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Taran_Wanderer posted:

How does Warriors Orochi 3 compare to Dynasty Warriors 8: Xtreme Legends Complete? Hearing that WO3 is coming out in the West makes me happy to be able to play Sterk and company, but is DW8:XLC significantly better?

They're both excellent games. Honestly, you'll probably be happy with either one, although you'll miss out on a lot of the mythology references in WO3 if you're not familiar with one or both franchises.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Hakkesshu posted:

It's not a weird workaround, it's a side-effect of the way the Steam API works. It's like embedding a Youtube video. It just straight up adds the game to your cart, and you're still paying for it through your account just like normal, there's no funny proxy poo poo going on and it's not against the rules.

I gave it a shot then. Fingers crossed.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
I like some of the tags for DW8 on Steam.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

I agree with all of those except Historic. That should clearly be in quotation marks.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

TARDISman posted:

I agree with all of those except Historic. That should clearly be in quotation marks.

It's certainly historic, just not historically accurate.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Mortimer posted:

It's certainly historic, just not historically accurate.

Compared to Kessen II, it's literally what happened.

Static Rook
Dec 1, 2000

by Lowtax

Shima Honnou posted:

8 has Ambition mode which is similar to Empires. You fight battles and build up your base with a dumb name. 8XL has an expanded Ambition mode where you go on to conquer the land after building up your base.

In the DW8XLCE release you play through 8's ambition mode first and then move on to 8XL's.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

Taran_Wanderer posted:

If you're waiting and have a PS3, Wii U, or 360 you can get WO3 already, though it's digital only on the PS3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Tae posted:

Compared to Kessen II, it's literally what happened.

My favorite thing about the Kessen franchise is the GameCenter CX episode where the CEO of KOEI is telling the show's host that the ridiculous dying Cao Cao and Diaochan scene overpowers him so much it makes him tearful.