Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

Crosscontaminant posted:

The fact there is unused stuff in X and Y tells you they're not planning on patching old games with new data.

Yeah, anybody who thinks we're getting new megas or anything of the like are deluding the hell out of themselves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

:golfclap:

All that talk about secret base, as if Gamefreak ever does what we like most.

It's silly, but I hope Pokemon Amie remains in and gets expanded even further (including following us around the map gamefreak!). I'm not bothering with it now (though petting Eevee somehow managed to make me warm up to it), but the idea of taking my favorite and really interacting with it like that just tickles my inner child. :kiddo:

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

Well they are at least doing something new with Kyogre and Groudon, and they have the ability to stop certain Pokemon or Items being traded to other games as is.

It seems just as fair to say that anyone thinking they won't add anything new at all is deluding themselves, because otherwise what they did with X/Y makes NO loving sense if they knew they were getting another set of games out less than a year later.

LeafyGreens
May 9, 2009

the elegant cephalopod

Darth TNT posted:

It's silly, but I hope Pokemon Amie remains in and gets expanded even further (including following us around the map gamefreak!). I'm not bothering with it now (though petting Eevee somehow managed to make me warm up to it), but the idea of taking my favorite and really interacting with it like that just tickles my inner child. :kiddo:

Pokemon Amie made me love Zigzagoon (the way he flops around excitedly is just TOO adorable) so I can't wait to get my Zigzagoon buddy and travel Hoenn again, I just really hope I can pet him too :3:

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Crosscontaminant posted:

I've already had to add an entry on my ignore list for anyone saying the word "Mega" in #pokegoons, now I have to find out how to do it in here too so I can ignore the floods of people getting moist over the idea of Mega Evolutions that won't happen.

If Gamefreak were going to start doing the patch-in-new-stuff-later thing, then Mega Latios, Mega Latias, Hoopa, Diancie, Volcanion, Thousand Arrows, Thousand Waves, etc. wouldn't be in X and Y unused - they'd patch them in as they released other games and made them available, so nobody would have the opportunity to spoil things for themselves. The fact there is unused stuff in X and Y tells you they're not planning on patching old games with new data.

Then where's the ingame data for the new Formes (or whatever those are) that Groudon and Kyogre are actually getting?

Crosscontaminant
Jan 18, 2007

Last I checked Kyurem's forms didn't have graphical data in Black and White either. The only evidence that Kyurem even was getting forms which didn't rely on historical precedent was a single byte in the Pokémon data structure which indicates the number of forms a Pokémon has - Pokémon without any forms had 00, Giratina had 02 (and so on) but Kyurem had 01.

Crosscontaminant fucked around with this message at 10:57 on May 8, 2014

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!

Maxmaps posted:

The fact that they keep bringing up 'brand new world' makes me think we're not actually going back to the same land of trumpets and water, so a good opportunity to up mon availability.

...Alternatively, now that there's more graphical power and memory available to them, and they've clearly shown a willingness to do different areas for different games...

What if unleashing the legendary pokemon affected the actual landscape? Which in turn, leads to new pokemon species migrating in.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Octolady posted:

Pokemon Amie made me love Zigzagoon (the way he flops around excitedly is just TOO adorable) so I can't wait to get my Zigzagoon buddy and travel Hoenn again, I just really hope I can pet him too :3:

Do I dare try this? :ohdear:

Maybe one of the more knowledgeable breeders here can answer a few questions.
- How does the game determine which moves the new mon gets? Is this completely random? If you breed a mon with only the move you want to pass on does it automatically always pick that move?
- If something is an egg move does that mean it can also get the move from a parent that already has the move? I haven't found anything regarding this and eggmoves on other sites only mention the other pokemon species you have to use. It seems obvious to me, but then this is Pokemon we're talking about.

Crosscontaminant
Jan 18, 2007

The initial moveset for a hatched Pokémon is determined like so:

1. Start with the moves the child learns at level 1.
  2. Add any move known by both parents which is in the child's level-up movepool.
  3. Add any move known by either parent which is in the child's egg move list.

Prior to Generation VI only males could pass down egg moves, and there was an extra step - any move known by the male parent which the child can learn by TM would also be known by the child on hatching.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Crosscontaminant posted:

Last I checked Kyurem's forms didn't have graphical data in Black and White either. The only evidence that Kyurem even was getting forms which didn't rely on historical precedent was a single byte in the Pokémon data structure which indicates the number of forms a Pokémon has - Pokémon without any forms had 00, Giratina had 02 (and so on) but Kyurem had 01.
There was also Freeze Shock and Ice Burn being found in the game data, with those moves being pretty obviously meant for Kyurem. Having the two new forms be created by actually fusing Kyurem with Reshiram or Zekrom was a bit of a surprise though.

Red Metal posted:

Steven had a Skarmory (Steel/Flying), Cradily (Rock/Grass), Claydol (Ground/Psychic), Armaldo (Rock/Bug), Aggron (Steel/Rock) and Metagross (Steel/Psychic). While there's definitely a preference for steel types with him, he wasn't a monotype trainer.
Actually, looking at his team there is a bit of a theme: defensive Pokemon. Steel and Rock are defensive types (especially back in Gen 3), and Claydol definitely counts as a defensive Pokemon.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

fade5 posted:

There was also Freeze Shock and Ice Burn being found in the game data, with those moves being pretty obviously meant for Kyurem. Having the two new forms be created by actually fusing Kyurem with Reshiram or Zekrom was a bit of a surprise though.

I was a little disappointed that we didn't get a Gray Kyurem so we could see that the original dragon looked like instead of the incomplete, asymmetrical half-forms. Even as just a non-playable boss character.

smashpro1
Mar 1, 2009

Shirley, these things happen in video games. We can't get hung up on real-world morality.
Hey guys, I'm working towards getting my Shiny Charm in X, and just need non-event Legendaries. So, I need to temporarily trade for these ones: http://pastebin.com/ZzYw21ZT

Friend Code: 2664-2105-2230

I appreciate any help I can get.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

Pastebin is under heavy load right now. Can you be more specific?

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

Dienes posted:

Is there a list somewhere of the pokemon that won't be available after the GTS shutdown this month (e.g., speed boost sharpedo)? I would love to grab breeding stock off the GTS or pokecheck while I still can.

I've bred up a shitload of 5IV Adamant Dream Ball female Aerodactyls in my quest for a shiny one if you want one of those

smashpro1
Mar 1, 2009

Shirley, these things happen in video games. We can't get hung up on real-world morality.

Crawfish posted:

Pastebin is under heavy load right now. Can you be more specific?

Raikou
Entei
Suicune
Lugia
Ho-Oh

Regirock
Regice
Registeel
Latias
Latios
Kyogre
Groudon
Rayquaza

Uxie
Mesprit
Azelf
Dialga
Palkia
Heatran
Regigigas
Giratina
Cresselia

Cobalion
Terrakion
Virizion
Tornadus
Thundurus
Reshiram
Zekrom
Landorus
Kyurem

I skipped every game between Crystal and X, and getting the older ones nowadays is loving expensive.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

Hmm. I could probably help. Maybe?

Slowly. One generation of legends at a time. Straight trade and trade back.

FC is 5455-9413-0634

smashpro1
Mar 1, 2009

Crawfish posted:

Hmm. I could probably help. Maybe?

Slowly. One generation of legends at a time. Straight trade and trade back.

FC is 5455-9413-0634

Added.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I'll check, but I'm pretty sure I have the Gen 3 box legendaries at least. I have the Regis too, but I haven't moved them over to X yet because I still need to grab Regigigas from Platinum.

e: oh, you have Deoxys. I have everything you need except Latios then (or maybe it was Latias).

Arist fucked around with this message at 15:46 on May 8, 2014

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

Doing some banking. Will be back in a few minutes with the second half.

smashpro1
Mar 1, 2009

Crawfish posted:

Doing some banking. Will be back in a few minutes with the second half.

Thank you so much for the help!

Edit: Wait, Sycamore won't give me the Shiny Charm. Do I need the event mons, too?

smashpro1 fucked around with this message at 16:21 on May 8, 2014

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Does anyone know of a good place to buy Pokemon Platinum? GameStop seems to want $45 for a used copy.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Annexed posted:

Does anyone know of a good place to buy Pokemon Platinum? GameStop seems to want $45 for a used copy.

Pokemon games are only cheap once or twice in their lifetime. That's the Black Friday/Christmas after release and then when Best Buy and other retailers put them on sale for $20 to clear out stock for the next game. It only goes up from there.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

smashpro1 posted:

Thank you so much for the help!

Edit: Wait, Sycamore won't give me the Shiny Charm. Do I need the event mons, too?
Did you finish the regional dexs? Did you get them each checked for 100%?

Also maybe? I don't know what you are missing, so I can't really say.

smashpro1
Mar 1, 2009

Crawfish posted:

Did you finish the regional dexs? Did you get them each checked for 100%?

Also maybe? I don't know what you are missing, so I can't really say.

Apparently, I didn't have an Unfezant. Problem solved.

Plasbad
Oct 2, 2013
Team talk time! This is my current competitive team on my game that I'm using against other people. Almost always 6 on 6 singles.

Ironaturo (Ferrothorn) @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 Def / 252 HP / 4 SDef
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spd
- Gyro Ball
- Power Whip
- Leech Seed
- Stealth Rock

Ferrothorn is Ferrothorn: Sets up rocks and refuses to die. Also gives my team some nice resistances to rock, water, and electric.

Daigo (Azumarill) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 SDef / 4 HP
Adamant Nature
- Aqua Jet
- Play Rough
- Waterfall
- Power-Up Punch

Assault Vest Azumarill is great. Similar to Ferrothorn, except refuses to die to special attacks. His bulk allows him to get off a Power-Up Punch and from there he can easily punch holes in things. More a wallbreaker than a sweeper.

Brucifer (Houndoom) @ Houndoominite
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 Def
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Dark Pulse
- Taunt
- Nasty Plot

I really wanted to use MegaHoundoom, and I'm not disappointed in him. Dark Pulse is a good move to spam, he's fast enough to shut down a lot of support pokemon with Taunt, and he can surprisingly take a hit or two when in his Mega form.

Banjo (Rotom-Wash) @ Chesto Berry
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SAtk
Bold Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Volt Switch
- Will-O-Wisp
- Rest

Good old Rotom-W, my primary Talonflame counter. I know it's everywhere but it's so useful, and it's one of my favorite pokemon anyway. Also helps against ground types which my team has some trouble against.

Rodney (Durant) @ Life Orb
Ability: Hustle
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 HP
Jolly Nature
- Iron Head
- Rock Slide
- Crunch
- Hone Claws

This is the pokemon I'm most surprised by. It's actually way stronger than I gave it credit for, and it's also really fast, able to outspeed things like Infernape and Terrakion. It's also good at punching holes in teams, and if I can get a Hone Claws in late game he can easily clean up a weakened team. Probably my favorite on the team, really, and a new favorite in general.

Aureole (Gardevoir) (F) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Trace
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 HP
Modest Nature
- Moonblast
- Energy Ball
- Shadow Ball
- Healing Wish

Gardevoir is here to round out the team and provide the rest of my guys with support. It hits hard, and I went with Energy Ball because I was constantly getting stopped by bulky water/ground types. Healing Wish is actually pretty amazing for this team because nearly every single pokemon wants another chance to fight at full health, so late game I can bring back one of my wallbreakers like Azumarill or Durant to clean up.

All in all I'm pretty happy with this team. Any thoughts?

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Annexed posted:

Nintendo games in general, and Pokemon games specifically, don't really depreciate in value. The games are long since out of print and retailers know that the hardcore people that'll actually buy a Pokemon game several generations old will pay a lot for it.

I'd encourage you to buy from a place that has a return policy since bootlegs are common, especially among the GBA and DS eras.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

I've been working on acquiring a shiny Bedlum well before the recent announcement. I got a bunch of 5 IV Adamant and Jolly leftovers for anyone that's interested.

What's a good build for Bedlum, by the way?

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Emalde posted:

Yeah, anybody who thinks we're getting new megas or anything of the like are deluding the hell out of themselves.

You are the one who is completely delusional if you really think there won't be any new Megas or Formes.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

SirPhoebos posted:

I've been working on acquiring a shiny Bedlum well before the recent announcement. I got a bunch of 5 IV Adamant and Jolly leftovers for anyone that's interested.

Metagross has a pretty big move pool but it might be a bit more limited without move tutors.

It really depends on what you wanna do with it. It can do defense but then a Jolly nature probably isn't worth it for that. Hell, a Jolly nature might not even be good for an offensive one since it is still fairly slow.

What do you wanna do with it and what kind of team is it going to be on?

Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009
Nintendo just sent out a clarifictaion that Alpha Sapphire/Omega Ruby are gonna be remakes and not sequels.

Nintendo posted:

The announcement was made only yesterday, so we were unable to include them in the supplementary document for this financial briefing, but the latest installments from the Pokémon franchise, “Pokémon Omega Ruby” and “Pokémon Alpha Sapphire” will be released globally for Nintendo 3DS in November this year. They are full-remakes of the Game Boy Advance “Pokémon Ruby” and “Pokémon Sapphire” games, which sold more than 5.44 million units in Japan and more than 16.22 million units worldwide.

It's likely we'll be getting Poke contests and the Battle Frontier back then. :toot:

korusan posted:

I've bred up a shitload of 5IV Adamant Dream Ball female Aerodactyls in my quest for a shiny one if you want one of those

I'd love to get one of those Aerodactyls. My FC is 3067-5151-4488 and my IGN is Fantastica! What's your friend code?

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

SirPhoebos posted:

Metagross has a lot of options (just like all the pseudo-legendaries), so you have to pick whether you want to go defensive or offensive. Since you're breeding, that means tutor moves are out (including Stealth Rock which is what Defensive Metagross does), so I'd say some form of offensive Metagross would be best.

notthegoatseguy posted:

It really depends on what you wanna do with it. It can do defense but then a Jolly nature probably isn't worth it for that. Hell, a Jolly nature might not even be good for an offensive one since it is still fairly slow.

What do you wanna do with it and what kind of team is it going to be on?
There is a set for Jolly Metagross, actually:

Metagross@Life Orb
Nature: Jolly
4 HP/252 Atk/252 Speed
~ Agility
~ Zen Headbutt
~ Earthquake
~ Meteor Mash

Set up Agility, then start killing. Since Metagross is usually expected to be slow, the surprise factor on this set is pretty good. One big problem Metagross faces is that it's now weak to Ghost and Dark Type moves thanks to the Steel Nerf, so its typing no longer covers most of its weaknesses. (Same thing happened to Jirachi.)

The other thing is just a blatant gently caress You; Meteor Mash was nerfed from 100 Power/85% Acc to 90 Power/90% Acc. The only mons that learn Meteor Mash are Clefable and Metagross, and Jirachi/Deoxys from an event. Clefable and Deoxys can't really use it well and/or prefer other coverage moves, and Jirachi prefers the 60% flinch from Iron Head, leaving Metagross as the only one who actually uses Meteor Mash.

Also, it's Beldum, as in an anagram of Dumbel(l).

korusan posted:

I must have one of these.

fade5 fucked around with this message at 18:57 on May 8, 2014

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Just a reminder that this is Emerald's Battle Frontier, and almost all of the facilities had really sweet gimmicks that I would love to play again:

The Battle Factory had rental Pokemon, so it was completely based on your knowledge and on-the-fly strategies. The Battle Pike was where things would happen to you in each room on random chance so it was kind of like gambling. The Battle Arena had a 3-turn points system where your Pokemon would get judged if neither were KO'd, so you could employ defensive strategies. And the Battle Palace made your Pokemon use attacks on their own based on their nature, so there's probably a lot of potential there for unorthodox natures and movesets.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I ignored the Battle Frontier because it always seemed like the regular Battle Thing only with even more AI bullshit waiting beyond your control to gently caress up your all-important win streak and deny you your meager winnings. Is that not so?

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Bongo Bill posted:

I ignored the Battle Frontier because it always seemed like the regular Battle Thing only with even more AI bullshit waiting beyond your control to gently caress up your all-important win streak and deny you your meager winnings. Is that not so?

That actually is exactly what it is, but I still had fun with it because I was a child.

And it would probably be better now, maybe even against human players as on option

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

I'm excited to play the Emerald Rental Tower with the new physical/special split

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
Serebii reports that TPC mentioned in their e-mail newsletter that the Groudon and Kyogre on the OR/AS box arts are new Pokémon, so either Mega Evolutions or Alpha and Omega Formes. Which was pretty obvious from the beginning, but it's nice to have confirmation.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!

Bongo Bill posted:

To a degree, it is, but one might argue that its part of the challenge, in that you have to stare down this nonsense with means other than simply type advantages and over leveling, and smack it down anyway. I never got too much into it - certainly because it didn't exactly block me from continuing my adventure, which was good - but I can understand the appeal with others.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

korusan posted:

May I get in line for one of these as well?

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Random bullshit or not the Battle Factory was fun as poo poo and I want it back

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

mabels big day posted:

Random bullshit or not the Battle Factory was fun as poo poo and I want it back
Agreed. It's just a shame Gamefreak won't include the greatest thing about the Battle Factory: cloning. I wonder if they'll put in a tiny Easter egg acknowledging it, it's gotta be one of the most famous things about Emerald. If you say a mon was "Cloned in Emerald" everyone knows exactly what you're talking about.

• Locked thread