Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Esroc posted:

I think Paradox and other strategy game companies would do well to emulate the automation system of Matrix Games' Distant Worlds. Then they could give us ridiculous complexity but also the option to automate the parts of it we personally find to be tedious.

It also doubles as a great learning tool. You can automate everything then switch one game concept to manual at a time and work your way up to full mastery of the engine.

The problem with this design is that you end up spending a great deal of time creating, balancing and testing features that the majority of your players are never going to use and just leave to the AI. Dev time is much better spent on features everyone would like, rather than only a small hardcore subset.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Panzeh posted:

The problem with that kind of design is that I think games are better when humans can fairly easily understand and manage all the systems included. When you just automate away anything that becomes clunky, you get shitfests like the Victoria games or MoO3. I think Distant Worlds had this problem where you just ended up staring at a bunch of black boxes that have way too much going on to understand easily.

Victoria 2 is not a shitfest. :nyd:

It's just differently fun.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Goku would be ashamed of you.

BBJoey posted:

The problem with this design is that you end up spending a great deal of time creating, balancing and testing features that the majority of your players are never going to use and just leave to the AI. Dev time is much better spent on features everyone would like, rather than only a small hardcore subset.

That makes a kind of sense, from a development standpoint. I guess I'm probably one of the few who bothers to micromanage every aspect of Distant Worlds. The majority of my play time is spent with the game paused, which is probably not what most people would consider fun.

Defeatist Elitist
Jun 17, 2012

I've got a carbon fixation.

VostokProgram posted:

:hfive:

Despite all its weirdness and barely-being-a-gameness, Victoria 2 is still probably one of my favorite games. I think CK2 is probably Paradox's best game, but there's just something about Victoria 2 that keeps me passing reforms and aimlessly loving with the economy.

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

rouge means red in french
Victoria 2 is the most superior MP game of the bunch, with the most options for diplomacy and much of the game people fighting over the same land. In CK2 and EU4 I feel like you can avoid each other for a hundred years stomping AIs. Some nations who start out bordering each other could never have a reason to fight.

Playing 15-20 man Vic2 MP games is still the funnest I've had in a paradox game.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Esroc posted:

I think Paradox and other strategy game companies would do well to emulate the automation system of Matrix Games' Distant Worlds. Then they could give us ridiculous complexity but also the option to automate the parts of it we personally find to be tedious.

It also doubles as a great learning tool. You can automate everything then switch one game concept to manual at a time and work your way up to full mastery of the engine.

They tried that already. It was called Hearts of Iron 3

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
If a reasonable proportion of people find a mechanic tedious, the response should be to remove or improve it, not AI-automate it.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Gort posted:

If a reasonable proportion of people find a mechanic tedious, the response should be to remove or improve it, not AI-automate it.

To an extent. I would be fine with the AI controlling the micromanagement of my armies if I could still direct broad operational focus and meaningfully direct industry in order to influence their effectiveness (something I'm hoping for from HOI4).

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

VostokProgram posted:

Shitfest is going too far but I think it's fair to say that the vast majority of V2 players will never touch manual resource trading because seriously what the gently caress.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

BBJoey posted:

Shitfest is going too far but I think it's fair to say that the vast majority of V2 players will never touch manual resource trading because seriously what the gently caress.

I only touched trade screen when I was rich enough and had a nice surplus of cash, so I could afford having 2000 units of critical resources in stock all the time. That way you don't need to wait for resources to be bought when you need it (for buildings/units).

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...
I just kinda ignore it and pray it goes away and doesn't screw me over too bad. I don't know what a good fix would be since you can't remove trade, I don't see any way you could make me pay attention to the global markets to buy and sell resources, and yet the game is all about a time period in which international and intercontinental trade was more important than I'd say almost any other period of time, so you can't just leave it totally automated and divorced from what the player's doing. No real idea of how to fix it, guess that's why I'm not a game dev :v:.

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

I'm convinced no one actually understands how Victoria 2's economy works, not even the developers.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
On a more serious note, I've said before that HOI 3's army-automation system would actually be a better fit in Victoria because it's more of a sideshow there that's simply an extension of your nation's industrial/economic strength and manpower reserves.

In HOI 3 the timid offensive AI (not that it's easy to make a blitzkrieging AI) and the vague ability to direct the war from the top sucks out the heart of the game. In Victoria it would be par for the course for your men to march on Berlin six inches at a time.

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

HOI2 was just tedious enough to be acceptable. If Paradox makes an HOI4 they need to scale it the gently caress back and make it less ambitious.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Disco Infiva posted:

BBJoey posted:

I only touched trade screen when I was rich enough and had a nice surplus of cash, so I could afford having 2000 units of critical resources in stock all the time. That way you don't need to wait for resources to be bought when you need it (for buildings/units).

Similar here. I use it to manually set the computer to stock up on certain critical goods or one which go through periodic shortages. Another point where I do some things manually is when I know I was to start building a a lot of something or other and start stockpiling some materials in advance in anticipation.

One thing in V2 that hasn't happened to me but I think is cool that it can potentially happen in the system is that you could potentially run out of crucial war materiel due to embargoes etc. IIRC though goods consumed by army maintenance are low enough to only very rarely make that an issue unless you're tiny and your market access is very poor indeed.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

THS posted:

I'm convinced no one actually understands how Victoria 2's economy works, not even the developers.

Understanding is not required, only liquor factories.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

I remember an old Victoria 2 bug where a craftman needed more liquor to consume than he could produce in a factory, resulting in a neverending downward spiral of alcoholism.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
The office had just been playing Dwarf Fortress too much.

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

THS posted:

If Paradox makes an HOI4
If? they are.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Disco Infiva posted:

I remember an old Victoria 2 bug where a craftman needed more liquor to consume than he could produce in a factory, resulting in a neverending downward spiral of alcoholism.

Yeah that was how they tried to squeeze industrialisation into the game, by giving industrial workers resource demands an order of magnitude higher than everyone else. I'm pretty sure that's been replaced by technological inventions each increasing every POP demand in the country, which seems to produce a better model overall (since craftsmen never filled their basic life needs they also contributed to the massive, frequent rebellions the early versions of V2 suffered from).

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
I think a more simplified and directly controllable economic model is better for games. I liked Imperialism's model better than Victoria 2's. I do think you could improve it though and make it a bit more flavorful, and the one good thing to come out of Pride of Nations was probably having private capital be a resource available to the player in addition to state funds. Most economic improvements in PoN are built with private funds, while state funds are mostly used for diplomacy and military actions. Taxes in this instance were just a way to convert between the two.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

THS posted:

It really is the most accurate economic simulation yet created.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

THS posted:

This is actually the case; apparently the only developer who knew how it worked left, and so Paradox doesn't really know how to take it from there.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Beamed posted:

This is actually the case; apparently the only developer who knew how it worked left, and so Paradox doesn't really know how to take it from there.

And they never asked him to, like, write it down?

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

DStecks posted:

And they never asked him to, like, write it down?

Remember how in the vanilla version of Vicky 2, you had no idea what the actual demand was, and the shown demand was actually just how many POPs would like to buy it if it had money?

I imagine the documentation is like that.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Paradox doesn't even have documentation on how all the event scripting and traits and things work in Crusader Kings 2. They don't have any internal documents about this either, when asked by CK2 modders about the possibility of just releasing internal documentation about all the scopes and whatnot, the CK2 people just said that they don't have any, and that the developers learn things as they go along.

:psyduck:

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

DrSunshine posted:

Paradox doesn't even have documentation on how all the event scripting and traits and things work in Crusader Kings 2. They don't have any internal documents about this either, when asked by CK2 modders about the possibility of just releasing internal documentation about all the scopes and whatnot, the CK2 people just said that they don't have any, and that the developers learn things as they go along.

:catstare:

fixed

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

DrSunshine posted:

Emergent coding, get with the times.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

DrSunshine posted:

I guess when you are a single digit sized team and you can just look up and ask the guy next to you how they did a thing and all your games run on the same engine and very similar basic principles then I guess you can get away with something as incredibly 90's as this.

podcat
Jun 21, 2012

DrSunshine posted:

Documentation is poo poo. It gets out of date and just takes time to make. We make games, and arent in the business of getting bogged down in "processes". Thats why we can deliver games that are actually on time at pretty good quality despite rocking teams that are extremely small.

For HOI4 we have made some code that generates documentation for modders though about scopes etc. That kind doesnt get out of date so its not a waste of time.

While we are at it, lol concept art. We just make the final art right away. Saves a lot of time!

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

:smug: Fuckin' studios that actually understand how their games work, amiright?

A_Raving_Loon
Dec 12, 2008

Subtle
Quick to Anger

YF-23 posted:

Yes. In addition to the three combat flanks there's a rear flank whose commander is the general field commander and which is used to reinforce combat flanks as needed.

This does have the annoying consequence of having to re-arrange your armies later because the regiments that make up the flanks don't return to the flank they were placed in originally but stay where they were placed by the AI during battle.

Tangentially related - lots of minor countries in MotE are really short on generals, some to the point that they can't even fully staff a single army. Anyone looking to get into it should pick up one of the Leader-generating mods so that everyone can participate in those mechanics. Leaders gaining traits is a fair part of how your armies improve over time.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

podcat posted:

While we are at it, lol concept art. We just make the final art right away. Saves a lot of time!

:greenangel:

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

podcat posted:

Documentation is poo poo. It gets out of date and just takes time to make. We make games, and arent in the business of getting bogged down in "processes".

:catstare:

The irony is that part of my job application at another company was documenting how production worked in HOI2.

podcat
Jun 21, 2012

DStecks posted:

:smug: Fuckin' studios that actually understand how their games work, amiright?

Documentation doesnt actually help with that though because it will not be up to date. So it will just fool people into thinking they do.

Beamed posted:

Nah, thats probably me, and its a giant emergent blob of, to miss-quote Dr Who, economy-whimey stuff :P Just because you understand how it works doesnt mean its easy to predict exactly how it will react in certain situations. The V2 economy ended up being too hard to control from a game balance standpoint. If/when we do a V3 we will have to do a rethink.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Ubik now owns all of Paradox's documentation anyway.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

podcat posted:

Documentation doesnt actually help with that though because it will not be up to date. So it will just fool people into thinking they do.

Nah, thats probably me, and its a giant emergent blob of, to miss-quote Dr Who, economy-whimey stuff :P Just because you understand how it works doesnt mean its easy to predict exactly how it will react in certain situations. The V2 economy ended up being too hard to control from a game balance standpoint. If/when we do a V3 we will have to do a rethink.

I was under the impression it was King; my bad.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

podcat
Jun 21, 2012

Its clearly a 2nd guy strapped on the far side of the horse. Stunt Napoleon say. That way if the first gets shot it wont slow down your command chain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

podcat posted:

Then update the documentation? I cannot imagine a single scenario where that takes less effort than implementing the change in-game would.

This just feels like the equivalent of stripping out the seatbelts and airbags from a car to save weight.

• Locked thread