Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tsc
Jun 18, 2004
hostis humani generis

jomiel posted:

I use the Preppy line of highlighters since I can also buy tip refills. The tips are always smooshed after a few months so it's nice to be able to change in a new one. Preppys can also be converted into an eyedropper so it's great if you do a lot of highlighting :)

I've had preppies fail on me before (BSB, cracked body, middle of an exam), so I like the added security of the metal body on the Zebra ones.

Edit: http://reviews.shopwritersbloc.com/fountain-pens/pen-mods-how-to-make-a-long-lasting-refillable-highlighter-pen.html Apparently Plasirs can be used similarly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Both of my Preppy pens have rubber bands around the caps to squeeze the cracks together and when I finally run all the ink out they're going in the trash. I probably won't replace them; they worked pretty well for what they were and I feel like I got my $3 worth or whatever they cost, but since my intent was to use them as something I didn't care to stain up with BSB I don't feel like they were reliable enough for that purpose. I'm probably going to switch over to using it in a refilled cartridge in a Pilot 78G -- also a cheap pen that I won't care about staining, but I have one with a B nib that I think BSB will look great with. Should I expect it to eat the gold color off the nib? Not terribly concerned but it would be nice to know what to expect.

Finagle
Feb 18, 2007

Looks like we have a neighsayer
So I've always wanted a fountain pen. I got a Lamy Safari off Amazon, and I'm pretty happy with it. I have a problem though, regarding writing with it.

Most of the time it works fine, but fairly often, if I'm writing fast, it seems to stop putting ink on the page. Usually seems to be on long up/down lines. Like this:

I'm fairly certain its something I am doing, how I am holding the pen or something. Can anyone give me some tips?

Vitamins
May 1, 2012

Finagle posted:

So I've always wanted a fountain pen. I got a Lamy Safari off Amazon, and I'm pretty happy with it. I have a problem though, regarding writing with it.

Most of the time it works fine, but fairly often, if I'm writing fast, it seems to stop putting ink on the page. Usually seems to be on long up/down lines. Like this:

I'm fairly certain its something I am doing, how I am holding the pen or something. Can anyone give me some tips?

What paper are you using? The way the ink is laying on that paper looks like it could be coated with something that's repelling the ink a bit, which could be causing your problem.

Also when you got it did you flush the pen through with a bunch of water with a bit of dish soap in it? There could be machining oils left in the pen that could affect general flow of ink to the nib.

There could also be a problem with the nib itself. Skipping on vertical lines is often a symptom of "baby-bottom" of the nib where the ink can't get onto the paper reliably, but you'd need a loupe or something of the sort to diagnose that.

Finagle
Feb 18, 2007

Looks like we have a neighsayer

Vitamins posted:

What paper are you using? The way the ink is laying on that paper looks like it could be coated with something that's repelling the ink a bit, which could be causing your problem.

Also when you got it did you flush the pen through with a bunch of water with a bit of dish soap in it? There could be machining oils left in the pen that could affect general flow of ink to the nib.

There could also be a problem with the nib itself. Skipping on vertical lines is often a symptom of "baby-bottom" of the nib where the ink can't get onto the paper reliably, but you'd need a loupe or something of the sort to diagnose that.

Just standard yellow legal paper in that picture, but I get it on notebook paper too. I didn't flush the pen though, I didn't know about that. I'll give that a try, thanks!

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

Always flush your new pens when they arrive to take out any machine oil that might be left in the nib and feed.

Also, Lamy tests all their pens at the factory with blue ink to see if the pens write. It's nice because it stops you getting duds, but it means you have to wash them out when they arrive, especially if you're not going to use blue ink.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!
And make sure you're not holding the pen at a weird angle (don't hold it so the nib touches the paper sideways or something).

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Does anyone know how I could fix a Lamy Safari that has stopped "clicking" when putting on the cap? I think that when I had the pen in my pants pocket, the cap got forced hard onto the body and after that it stopped clicking - I'm afraid now that the cap is going to just fall off in my pocket.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

rio posted:

Does anyone know how I could fix a Lamy Safari that has stopped "clicking" when putting on the cap? I think that when I had the pen in my pants pocket, the cap got forced hard onto the body and after that it stopped clicking - I'm afraid now that the cap is going to just fall off in my pocket.

Examine it real closely for a hairline crack in the cap.

In other news I loving love my TWSBI Diamond 580. It writes like a dream.

Also I completely took it apart and cleaned every piece and put it back together. This is the perfect pensperg pen.

Welsper
Jan 14, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Bertrand Hustle posted:

This is the perfect pensperg pen.

TWSBI Pro-tip: On past models it's been possible to mount #5 Pilot nibs on TWSBI feeds.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Bertrand Hustle posted:

Examine it real closely for a hairline crack in the cap.

In other news I loving love my TWSBI Diamond 580. It writes like a dream.

Also I completely took it apart and cleaned every piece and put it back together. This is the perfect pensperg pen.

I'm happy with my Pilot Metro, but I want a fine nib, too. I think I'm going to save up for a 580, since I've seen a lot of good reviews in this thread.

I'm also looking for a good blue ink. I saw blue ballpoint that looked really nice, so I thought a blue ink would be cool too :shobon:
I like really bold colors--a nice, strong and vibrant blue. Noodler's Baystate Blue looks close to what I want, but I've heard bad things about that ink. Any recommendations? Bulletproof isn't necessary, but quick dry time (on cheaper paper) and low feathering would be great.

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

I hope he didn't care about that pizza.

Solumin posted:

I'm happy with my Pilot Metro, but I want a fine nib, too. I think I'm going to save up for a 580, since I've seen a lot of good reviews in this thread.

I'm also looking for a good blue ink. I saw blue ballpoint that looked really nice, so I thought a blue ink would be cool too :shobon:
I like really bold colors--a nice, strong and vibrant blue. Noodler's Baystate Blue looks close to what I want, but I've heard bad things about that ink. Any recommendations? Bulletproof isn't necessary, but quick dry time (on cheaper paper) and low feathering would be great.

You can now get a Metropolitan with an F nib too! :v:

As for blues, I really like J. Herbin's Éclat de Saphir, it's a nice vibrant ultramarine blue that behaves pretty well on most paper. Pilot has a few in their Iroshizuku line that are pretty vibrant and well-behaved. Baystate Blue is supposed to be bluer than the bluest blue times infinity, but it will stain any plastic or rubber components of your pen and it's known to melt some feeds, including Pilot feeds. Noodler's Blue might be worth considering, in that case. I'd avoid Lamy because their colours seem really washed out to me, and De Atramentis because the few I've tried are all really dry and would be a pain to use in a fine point nib.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

cobalt impurity posted:

You can now get a Metropolitan with an F nib too! :v:

As for blues, I really like J. Herbin's Éclat de Saphir, it's a nice vibrant ultramarine blue that behaves pretty well on most paper. Pilot has a few in their Iroshizuku line that are pretty vibrant and well-behaved. Baystate Blue is supposed to be bluer than the bluest blue times infinity, but it will stain any plastic or rubber components of your pen and it's known to melt some feeds, including Pilot feeds. Noodler's Blue might be worth considering, in that case. I'd avoid Lamy because their colours seem really washed out to me, and De Atramentis because the few I've tried are all really dry and would be a pain to use in a fine point nib.

I saw the F Metros, and I was going to ask if anyone had tried them. But then I figured that trying new pens would be fun!

Éclat de Saphir looks very nice! That one's going on my short list for sure.

What about Noodler's Liberty's Elysium? It's a lovely color and seems fairly well behaved.

...this is how the addiction begins, isn't it :gonk:

Thelonious Monk
Apr 2, 2008

Life and music: all about style.

Solumin posted:

I saw the F Metros, and I was going to ask if anyone had tried them. But then I figured that trying new pens would be fun!

Éclat de Saphir looks very nice! That one's going on my short list for sure.

What about Noodler's Liberty's Elysium? It's a lovely color and seems fairly well behaved.

...this is how the addiction begins, isn't it :gonk:

I find éclat de saphir a bit too purple for me. I just use Iroshizuku Kon Peki if I want a true bright blue.

Speaking of addiction, I've just ordered a Visconti Divina Elegance. gently caress me.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

I lost my Vac 700 :smith:

There's some hope it's just somewhere I haven't checked in my car but as far as I know it is gone.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Seems like half my posts in this thread have been about some pain in the rear end or other that Baystate Blue has caused me. It's a gorgeous color but I probably wouldn't recommend buying it just because its other properties are fairly obnoxious (staining being the main one). I only ended up with it because I was sent the wrong color and kept it rather than shipping it back, but it's pretty so I keep using it and ruining Preppies. :v:

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
Rubbing alcohol takes care of it just fine. Sure, it's not going in the M600, but my Diamond 540 cleans up just fine.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
On blue: I like PR American Blue

It's cheap, rich, and looks very "ballpointy"

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Solumin posted:

I've got Noodler's 54th Massachusetts in my 580. It's a nice color, kind of reminds me of blue Civil War uniforms. Maybe that's the idea. I believe it's also bulletproof.

It's been very well behaved for me, no bleeding or feathering, and it dries fairly quickly, although the cheapest paper I use is printer paper. Sugar cane paper is generally pretty good with fountain pens, too, in my experience.

djinndarc
Dec 20, 2012

"I'm Bender, baby, please insert liquor!"
I will +1 Liberty Elysium and 54th Mass.

Also, I am going to just put this out there, since nobody else has: Waterman's Mystery Blue. This ink (and also Waterman's Black) has been growing on me lately. Color wise and performance/behavior wise I recommend it.

a man a plan a canal
Dec 31, 2004
Fun Shoe

Hellbeard posted:

*snip*
EDIT:
Also comes in a model with aluminum CNC body called AL sport.
gently caress my wallet.
Thanks a lot, no, seriously.

1 x Kaweco AL Sport Fountain Pen - Extra Fine Nib - Raw Aluminum Body (KAWECO 10000627) = $76.00
1 x Kaweco Fountain Pen Nib Replacement 060 - Gold - Extra Fine (KAWECO 20000458) = $13.50
1 x Kaweco Sport Pen Clip - Nickel (KAWECO 10000262) = $2.70
1 x Kaweco Squeeze Fountain Pen Converter for Sport Series (KAWECO 10000654) = $3.00
1 x J. Herbin 1670 Anniversary Fountain Pen Ink - 50 ml Bottle - Rouge Hematite (J. HERBIN H150-26) = $20.75
1 x Diamine Fountain Pen Ink - 80 ml - Oxblood Red (DIAMINE INK 7079) = $12.50
1 x J. Herbin Fountain Pen Ink - 30 ml Bottle - Perle Noire (Pearl Black) (J. HERBIN H130-09) = $9.00

At least I got free shipping!

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

GBS Till Death posted:

At least I got free shipping!

This is really the root of all evil.

I think I need a bottle of that Noodlers Massachusetts ink, and probably another pen.

That Visconti looks amazing, but if I bought that I would be too afraid to use it!

Edit: I am really loving Noodler's Tiananmen, as my red ink. It is a nice cool red, with great saturation.

dexefiend fucked around with this message at 13:56 on May 5, 2014

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
Thanks for the ink tips! 54th Mass is a little too grey for my liking. The other ones look great. Guess I'll have to order some ink samples soon! :10bux:

dexefiend posted:

This is really the root of all evil.

I think I need a bottle of that Noodlers Massachusetts ink, and probably another pen.

That Visconti looks amazing, but if I bought that I would be too afraid to use it!

Edit: I am really loving Noodler's Tiananmen, as my red ink. It is a nice cool red, with great saturation.

Tiananmen is an incredible color. If I need a red ink, I know what I'll pick up.

El Mido
Feb 22, 2011

Luisfe posted:

I bought one of these two weeks ago
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Jinhao165-Wine-And-Gold-Mesh-Scales-Medium-Nib-Fountain-Pen-New-/261253870239

That's seriously the fastest time I've ever gotten ANY Chinese thing over the internet.
It writes really smooth and I like it. But seriously, two weeks total in transit. I was expecting it to be like 2 months.

A word of warning, I also bought one of these and while it started out okay it eventually became useless as the pen would dry out quickly even while capped and the nib was absurdly wet.

Cactus-Piss
Oct 3, 2005

Did powering up involve getting a large black dick jammed in your ass?
What are some nice looking, preferably metal pens, that can fit the #6 Two-Tone Goulet nibs? I was thinking of the Monteverde Impressa with Gunmetal and Red. I don't want to lug around my metal Falcon because I get paranoid about losing it.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Cactus-Piss posted:

What are some nice looking, preferably metal pens, that can fit the #6 Two-Tone Goulet nibs? I was thinking of the Monteverde Impressa with Gunmetal and Red. I don't want to lug around my metal Falcon because I get paranoid about losing it.

Pilot metro

Welsper
Jan 14, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

dino. posted:

Pilot metro

I think the metro fits a #5 nib.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Welsper posted:

I think the metro fits a #5 nib.

That's me told. XD I could have sworn I read somewhere that Pilot pens take a #6. D'oh!

a man a plan a canal
Dec 31, 2004
Fun Shoe
Thought y'all might be interested. Massdrop has all 4 sizes of the the pilot parrallel calligraphy 2 color sets for $24.99 currently.*

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/pilot-parallel-two-pack

*if you've never heard of this website, it acts as a moderated group buy that purchases directly from the manufacturer. The more people that get in on it the lower the price goes.

a man a plan a canal fucked around with this message at 07:34 on May 8, 2014

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

I just looked at some of the pilot vanishing point pens.

They're..they're beautiful :negative:

I can't afford this hobby I don't even write that much

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Xun posted:

I just looked at some of the pilot vanishing point pens.

They're..they're beautiful :negative:

I can't afford this hobby I don't even write that much

:getin:

I assume you've seen the new style VPs? All of them up until now have been relatively muted colors with gold or rhodium trim (plus a matte black model), but Goulet just got in five new models with bold, metallic colors and black trim: http://www.gouletpens.com/Pilot_Vanishing_Point_Fountain_Pens_s/950.htm

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

404notfound posted:

:getin:

I assume you've seen the new style VPs? All of them up until now have been relatively muted colors with gold or rhodium trim (plus a matte black model), but Goulet just got in five new models with bold, metallic colors and black trim: http://www.gouletpens.com/Pilot_Vanishing_Point_Fountain_Pens_s/950.htm

Yeah, really wish I could justify dropping the money on more pens but I already have 3 that I don't use and I take notes with technology. Maybe I'll give up my laptop and write on notebooks that's a good idea, right???

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

Don't start.

Pilot Metro. Not even once.

Welsper
Jan 14, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Xun posted:

Maybe I'll give up my laptop and write on notebooks that's a good idea, right???

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

Xun posted:

Yeah, really wish I could justify dropping the money on more pens but I already have 3 that I don't use and I take notes with technology. Maybe I'll give up my laptop and write on notebooks that's a good idea, right???

You could also get a journal, and another notebook for writing short stories and bad poetry that gets better as you write more but is still bad but you want to switch inks so you write more poetry to empty the pen.

Also you can usually find a VP for around 95 bucks if you look in the right places, like eBay...actually they're 85.50 on there now. I got mine from a deal that https://isellpens.com was running where you got two bottles of ink with it that effectively made it 99. The real problem is that those VP Raden pens look so neat but cost sooooooooo much.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

What ink is that? :fap:

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

"do not hold the camera obliquely, or the world will seem to be on an inclined plane."
I've been in the market for a Pilot VP for about a year now but could never quite pull the trigger. When I was in Japan last month, I tried out quite a few models and nib sizes and came really close to buying one. The prices were slightly better than I can get here I the states. (Hint: if you ask about Vanishing Point over there you'll just get puzzled looks, I'd forgotten that they are called "Capless" in their homeland.) I had heard that a green model was I the way so I held off. As a collector of green pens, it sounded like a perfect match.

The I saw the final products and I hate them. That bright metallic green is not my favorite, but not a deal breaker. The black trim with that color is absolutely hideous in my eyes. I don't like any of the colors with that trim. It reminds me of years ago when you could tell who bought the cheap, no options version of a new car by the ugly black bumpers instead of body color or chrome trim. I think I'd buy the green VP if it had rhodium trim. I'm wishing I had bought that stealth model in Osaka now.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
Does anyone have any experience with JinHao pens? I've seen them on Amazon for pretty cheap ($10-$25). I'm going to Paris in a couple of months and wanted to keep a logbook/journal while I'm there. Might also use it for some drawing. I have experience writing/drawing with dip pens and have an old plastic cartridge pen I got forever ago that I still use for correspondence from time to time.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

SubponticatePoster posted:

Does anyone have any experience with JinHao pens? I've seen them on Amazon for pretty cheap ($10-$25). I'm going to Paris in a couple of months and wanted to keep a logbook/journal while I'm there. Might also use it for some drawing. I have experience writing/drawing with dip pens and have an old plastic cartridge pen I got forever ago that I still use for correspondence from time to time.

Don't spend $25 on a Jinhao pen, holy poo poo, get an X750 for $6 on eBay and if the nib ends up sucking you can swap it out for a Goulet #6.

They're the best cheap pens I've ever used.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Chef Nex
Jan 20, 2005
Serving up a hot buttered stabbing

Bertrand Hustle posted:

Don't spend $25 on a Jinhao pen, holy poo poo, get an X750 for $6 on eBay and if the nib ends up sucking you can swap it out for a Goulet #6.

They're the best cheap pens I've ever used.

I have a bunch of Jinhao - you can find almost any of their low-end models on ebay for <$6. They all have tended to write really nice, very smooth nibs, but they all have also had some flow issues, drying up a bit between uses.

I've been playing with my new Jinhao 599 lately (their Lamy Safari knock-off) and it is absolutely the smoothest writing little bastard that I've played with for anything near its price.