Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Does all it take for a SCOTUS decision to be overturned be that a case regarding it be brought up before a new court? Like, hypothetically, if a white power group set off a nuke in every major city in the United States and Republicans took the presidency, and they appointed an entirely Republican SCOTUS, could a group just appeal their case automatically to the Supreme Court to get ROe V Wae overturned? Or would they need to prove the case is different than it was before?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Fulchrum posted:

Does all it take for a SCOTUS decision to be overturned be that a case regarding it be brought up before a new court? Like, hypothetically, if a white power group set off a nuke in every major city in the United States and Republicans took the presidency, and they appointed an entirely Republican SCOTUS, could a group just appeal their case automatically to the Supreme Court to get ROe V Wae overturned? Or would they need to prove the case is different than it was before?

It needs to reach the SCOTUS by the normal appeal process, but yeah, that's exactly how it works.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Fulchrum posted:

The Supreme Court would have to agree to hear the case before ruling on it, but yes, they can overturn any precedent they like, in theory, and they have explicitly overturned precedents in the past, although they usually prefer not to.

Georgia Peach
Jan 7, 2005

SECESSION IS FUTILE

conservapedia posted:

40 quotes from Barack Obama on Islam and Christianity.[4]

Obama declared: “The sweetest sound I know is the Muslim call to prayer”. What's wrong with Handel's Messiah? Why does this man have access to America's nuclear missile launch codes?

Mind Loving Owl
Sep 5, 2012

The regeneration is failing! Hooooo...
Hey just wondering, was Obama's dad even a Muslim? Not that his father being a Muslim means Obama is one or that his religion matters at all it's just I wouldn't be surprised if these people are assuming that since his dad was African he must be some variety of Muslim.

Also I might be a bit late but I'm assuming Andy hated Noah? Film about Christian mythology that actually explores the morality of the Deluge story, makes visual references to the scientific view of the history of the world and slips in an environmental preservation theme, how could he not loathe it? Actually Noah's getting surprisingly good reviews from religious audiences. Oh and I just realised that Noah did actually borrow something from the creationists, specifically putting the animals into suspended animation for the trip.

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

Mind Loving Owl posted:

Hey just wondering, was Obama's dad even a Muslim? Not that his father being a Muslim means Obama is one or that his religion matters at all it's just I wouldn't be surprised if these people are assuming that since his dad was African he must be some variety of Muslim.

Barack Obama Sr. was raised by Muslim parents, converted to Anglicanism at 6 because the staff at his elementary school told him he should, and eventually dropped that to be an atheist. Then he was in a car accident and died.

Parahexavoctal fucked around with this message at 20:17 on May 6, 2014

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
I don't think Obama knew Obama Sr. that well to start out with. The relationship was...thorny, I believe Soetoro had a lot more impact on his life.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich
And Soetoro was a Muslim. As are the vast majority of Indonesians.

Best Korea
Feb 15, 2012

Parahexavoctal posted:

Barack Obama Sr. was raised by Muslim parents, converted to Anglicanism at 6 because the staff at his elementary school told him he should, and eventually dropped that to be an atheist. Then he was in a car accident and died.

Both of Obama's parents were atheists. I've always suspected that he is as well but claims Christianity for political reasons.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

quote:

40 quotes from Barack Obama on Islam and Christianity.[5]
Obama declared: “The sweetest sound I know is the Muslim call to prayer”. What's wrong with Handel's Messiah? Why does this man have access to America's nuclear missile launch codes?

Emphasis mine. God I love this site sometimes.

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

This bothers me.

http://www.conservapedia.com/Libertarianism_masked_as_conservatism

a Conservapedia article whose entire content is a copy-paste from TIME Magazine.

and it's by Conservapedia admin Ed Poor. :argh:

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.
And you don't lay money down.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?
Oh my god my head hurts so badly.
Conservapedia claims they are in the "right" by stating that the speed of light is not a cosmological constant by quoting scientists who state that the time it takes light to travel from point A to point B may not be c when traveling through a non-vacuum.

They take the facts, then meld them to meet their conclusions; i.e., that the universe supports a Young Earth creationist theory.

Their whole list of "We're right you're wrong" is full of this poo poo:
http://www.conservapedia.com/Conservapedia_proven_right

THEY HAVE MORE! GOLDMINE!:
http://www.conservapedia.com/Counterexamples_to_Relativity

A Bad King fucked around with this message at 03:55 on May 7, 2014

Mischalaniouse
Nov 7, 2009

*ribbit*

Conservapedia posted:

40 quotes from Barack Obama on Islam and Christianity.[4]

He thinks Muslim prayers sound nice, therefore he is unfit to president. Why choose Handel's Messiah as a counter point to Muslim prayer anyway, it's a weird comparison to make.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Mischalaniouse posted:

He thinks Muslim prayers sound nice, therefore he is unfit to president. Why choose Handel's Messiah as a counter point to Muslim prayer anyway, it's a weird comparison to make.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AX3U-BGDedc

Yeah, someone liking this is clearly a godless heathen.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

I wonder what they'd say when Lincoln was in office just after the war ended and asked the band to play Dixie because he loved the music

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Seriously, I'm a hard atheist and love both the Islamic call to prayer and lots of Christian religious music. The horror!

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Seriously, I'm a hard atheist and love both the Islamic call to prayer and lots of Christian religious music. The horror!

Douglas Adams, who was well known for being friends with Richard Dawkins and identifying as a "radical atheist", consistently maintained that his favorite piece of music was Beethoven's Mass in B Minor and that nothing would ever surpass that. I honestly feel bad for people who can't admire religious music if they don't follow that religion.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse
I dunno if I'd feel more sorry for them, or for the nuts that spend more time promoting it as part of THEIR OWN religious culture. At least the former don't really know what they're missing while the latter don't stop chirping about their bullshit to really listen and feel it.

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.
Very first citation links to an article that says the exact opposite of what it's citing.

Edit:
http://www.conservapedia.com/Black_holes

quote:

As with the related theoretical concept of a "wormhole",[1] it is impossible to prove that no black hole exists anywhere, and thus they fail the falsifiability requirement of science.
If you can't prove that black holes don't exist then they don't exist?

Yaos fucked around with this message at 02:49 on May 8, 2014

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Yaos posted:

Very first citation links to an article that says the exact opposite of what it's citing.

Edit:
http://www.conservapedia.com/Black_holes

If you can't prove that black holes don't exist then they don't exist?

By that standard, there's no such thing as cats. What a terrible world!

Mind Loving Owl
Sep 5, 2012

The regeneration is failing! Hooooo...

Pope Guilty posted:

By that standard, there's no such thing as cats. What a terrible world!

Excuse me but the one true American pet is a dog1 thank you very much.

1. That one episode of King of the Hill.

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.
What the hell does conservapedia have against the theory of relativity and black holes? I see stuff about liberals thinking it's true, is that why they don't like it?

Yaos fucked around with this message at 03:07 on May 8, 2014

made of bees
May 21, 2013
I think the relativity thing is about a really dumb literalist reading of a passage in one of the Gospels where Jesus makes something happen instantaneously, and everyone knows Jesus's miracles were renowned for working within the laws of physics as we understand them.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Conservapedia considers relativity to be liberal claptrap because the name relativity reminds Andy Schlafly of moral relativism. That's literally why.

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

This post is hurting the economy!

Pope Guilty posted:

Conservapedia considers relativity to be liberal claptrap because the name relativity reminds Andy Schlafly of moral relativism. That's literally why.

If time moves differently in different reference frames, then what's to stop me from cooking and eating this baby?

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

The answer is the same answer it always is; they're not very bright people.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Yeah, Schlafly has this weird thing where he thinks moral relativity and Einstein's Special Relativity have to be related because they both use the word "relativity". No, it doesn't make any god drat sense, but that's honest to god the reason.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Yeah, Schlafly has this weird thing where he thinks moral relativity and Einstein's Special Relativity have to be related because they both use the word "relativity". No, it doesn't make any god drat sense, but that's honest to god the reason.

He also used to deny the concept of imaginary numbers, which must've made his work as an electrical engineer extremely interesting.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Pope Guilty posted:

He also used to deny the concept of imaginary numbers, which must've made his work as an electrical engineer extremely interesting.

Something tells me his 'electrical engineering' had more in common with Warhammer 40k repair methodologies.

*repeatedly smacks malfunctioning part with a bible* God commands you to WORK, dammit! WORK!

Karl Rove
Feb 26, 2006

Oh man, the Elders are really lovely guys. Their astral projection seminars are literally off the fucking planet, and highly recommended.

Somfin posted:

Something tells me his 'electrical engineering' had more in common with Warhammer 40k repair methodologies.

*repeatedly smacks malfunctioning part with a bible* God commands you to WORK, dammit! WORK!

"An open mind is like a fortress with its gates unbarred and unguarded."

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

"Blessed is the mind too small for doubt"

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

made of bees posted:

I think the relativity thing is about a really dumb literalist reading of a passage in one of the Gospels where Jesus makes something happen instantaneously, and everyone knows Jesus's miracles were renowned for working within the laws of physics as we understand them.

Hah, I forgot about that.

If he takes it as literalist, can we get him to accept quantum mechanics as Jesus rode in on both one or two asses depending on the different gospel versions.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

happyhippy posted:

If he takes it as literalist, can we get him to accept quantum mechanics as Jesus rode in on both one or two asses depending on the different gospel versions.

I hate it when you point this out or the discrepancy in the number of angels at the empty tomb and get the response "Well if there were TWO donkeys/angels, then obviously there was at least ONE so there's no contradiction!"

markgreyam
Mar 10, 2008

Talk to the mittens.

Counterexamples to Relativity posted:

18. The action-at-a-distance of quantum entanglement.
19. The action-at-a-distance by Jesus, described in John 4:46-54, Matthew 15:28, and Matthew 27:51.

31. The lack of useful devices developed based on any insights provided by the theory; no lives have been saved or helped, and the theory has not led to other useful theories and may have interfered with scientific progress. This stands in stark contrast with every verified theory of science.

47. Scientists are unable to explain a June 2012 cluster of earthquakes in Ireland.

I can't :allears: enough at so many of these. Magical, just magical. That last one is a just weird. I don't even get how that last one is remotely approaching a counterpoint in any sort of context to well, anything, let alone relativity.

I ... just ... look, I can't help myself. I'm sorry. I've tried to hold back, and everyone one just completely ignore it because I already know the answer, sadly, but I have to put the question to virtual paper because I just have to; Is this a parody site?

Also, the whole obsession with the "if anything is ever corrected in science then the whole of science is questionable" argument is just enthralling.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

markgreyam posted:

Is this a parody site?

If it is, Andy is 10x the parody comedian Colbert ever was

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

markgreyam posted:

Also, the whole obsession with the "if anything is ever corrected in science then the whole of science is questionable" argument is just enthralling.

It's the result of considering science as a religion. If a religious leader does something grotesquely immoral, how can you trust that leader's statements on morality?

Alien Arcana
Feb 14, 2012

You're related to soup, Admiral.

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Something to remember is that Schlafly never admits he's wrong. About anything. Ever. If it appears that he's wrong about something, what's actually wrong is the questioner. Or the scientific community. Or liberals. Of course liberals are always wrong, but you get where I'm going with this.

I honestly believe what happened is Andy conflated Einstein's relativity with moral relativity once, possibly just to make a point or an analogy, and someone pointed out to him that they're not the same thing. He reacted by declaring that no, he couldn't have made a mistake, so they are the same thing, and everything since then has been him endlessly doubling down on it.

Random Axis
Jul 19, 2005
This list is fantastic!

Counterexamples to Relativity posted:

1. ... it is debatable whether black holes exist at all.

5. Quantum entanglement near the event horizon of a black hole...
6. "Celestial signals defy Einstein. Strange signals picked up from black holes...

46. The supermassive black hole within the Andromeda galaxy

Clearly, their theory is so strong that it is supported by both the nonexistence of black holes AND the black holes we observe. Way to go, Best of the Public! :thumbsup:

Edit: for typo

Random Axis fucked around with this message at 00:49 on May 9, 2014

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
I've posted this before, but this is Andy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwqIazaeeJc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

This post is hurting the economy!
Haha, no devices developed incorporating relativity? I hope Andy doesn't use GPS, or I've got bad news about how he's been benefiting directly from the theory of relativity.

• Locked thread