Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

A Melted Tarp posted:

They basically threw it together ad-hoc in a matter of weeks, not a lot of time to design failsafes.

Edit: Visible prop wash on that last video. So loving sick.

A squat switch either to activate, or to allow manual activation isn't a fail safe, it's a "don't-kill-everybody-and-bend-the-airplane-into-a-pretzel" feature. If they had fired those rockets another twenty feet up, they might all be dead. The sophistication of the rocket system also argues against the "lol we didn't have time" theory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
I read somewhere (Here?) that they needed to do it manually the one time to calibrate the timing for the automation system.

I don't know if that makes sense.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

FrozenVent posted:

I read somewhere (Here?) that they needed to do it manually the one time to calibrate the timing for the automation system.

I don't know if that makes sense.

This. It wasn't a USAF crew, it was a LockMart test crew that was trying to further calibrate the timing for the on board computer.

I think my favorite part of that whole thing (and there are many) is that after the mishap they kept one of the modified airframes around to serve as a testbed for possibly incorporating some of the Credible Sport mods into the Combat Talon fleet as a whole. They determined that the Credible Sport setup was only suitable for its originally intended purpose because it did not have the necessary safety margins for any other kind of operations.

My second favorite part is that the mods included a tailhook.

:stare:

I guess they had concerns that they wouldn't be able to utilize reverse thrust to stop in time.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -
I thought the tailhook was for the post-stadium-rescue carrier trap?

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

So, just to be clear, the plan for Credible Sport was:

Fly a bunch of Delta guys in modified C-130s from the continental US,
do five aerial refueling operations on the way,
do a low-level infiltration into Iran at night,
do a rocket-brake landing into a soccer stadium,
the commandos jump out and kick doors/shoot faces,
bring the hostages back to the planes,
then rocket-jump out of said stadium,
survive a harrowing low-level flight out of Iran avoiding their now alerted air defenses,
and do another landing onto a waiting navy aircraft carrier. In a C-130. Which has probably taken significant damage on the way out.

All because finding reliable heavy lift helicopters and pilots was too difficult.

11 out of 10 points for style (:black101:), 0/10 for critical thinking.

Even if they had managed to pull off the first eight parts perfectly, I predict they would have missed the arresting cable, went off the front of the carrier, and all surviving hostages and rescue party would have ended up dead, run over by the carrier.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Reminder:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ar-poc38C84

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Duke Chin posted:

I thought the tailhook was for the post-stadium-rescue carrier trap?

I'm sure that was the intent, but Herks are plenty capable of landing on carriers, no hooks or cables needed:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uM5AI3YSV3M

And honestly, I feel like the arresting gear on a carrier wouldn't really be able to handle an aircraft of the Herk's weight.

e:

MRC48B posted:

All because finding reliable heavy lift helicopters and pilots was too difficult.

Well they tried the heavy lift helo thing, it just didn't end up well:

iyaayas01 fucked around with this message at 03:23 on May 8, 2014

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

While we're on the subject of planes that don't usually do carriers:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8HMPMYL19E

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

iyaayas01 posted:

Well they tried the heavy lift helo thing, it just didn't end up well:

That's what I was referring to. :smith:

I'm just confused why they didn't ask for any of the air force rescue squadrons, who probably had guys who spent years doing similar low-level hairy poo poo in Vietnam.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

MRC48B posted:

That's what I was referring to. :smith:

I'm just confused why they didn't ask for any of the air force rescue squadrons, who probably had guys who spent years doing similar low-level hairy poo poo in Vietnam.

Sort of why they created special forces command and such afterwards.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -
Oh yeah, familiar with this years and years ago - yet somehow always missed the part where they increased some of the latter tests where they increased payload to ~13 tons.

iyaayas01 posted:

And honestly, I feel like the arresting gear on a carrier wouldn't really be able to handle an aircraft of the Herk's weight.
Hey if they can modify a Herc enough to slap on rockets all over it I am comfortable in thinking they can modify one arrestor cable for a big rear end plane with flight crew, assault force & gear, 52 hostages and whomever else they wanted to spirit away last minute. :v:

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

FrozenVent posted:

Wow. This is pretty impressive actually- landing a plane with bicycle gear (that usually requires chase cars to get it down safely) on an aircraft carrier must be sketchy as hell. Especially considering how hard it is to land with the insane amount of lift it has.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Duke Chin posted:

Oh yeah, familiar with this years and years ago - yet somehow always missed the part where they increased some of the latter tests where they increased payload to ~13 tons.

Hey if they can modify a Herc enough to slap on rockets all over it I am comfortable in thinking they can modify one arrestor cable for a big rear end plane with flight crew, assault force & gear, 52 hostages and whomever else they wanted to spirit away last minute. :v:

On the other hand, I think the C-130 could make a good flying boat. Did they think of that?

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL

hobbesmaster posted:

On the other hand, I think the C-130 could make a good flying boat. Did they think of that?

Yup. Both as a flying boat and a floatplane.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

I was wondering if ditching would be more reliable than landing on a carrier at that point...

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Airplanes that don't belong on carriers? How about a Fokker F28?

AirlineReporter.com (the website that Powercube writes for) actually published an article about this very thing just today; read it here.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

FrozenVent posted:

I was watching this and the first dozen or so landings... the pilot has no idea where the goddamn deck is. On the other hand, carrier takeoff probably involved pointing the ship into the wind, going to full throttle and waiting for the U-2 to depart vertically.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

iyaayas01 posted:

I'm sure that was the intent, but Herks are plenty capable of landing on carriers, no hooks or cables needed:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uM5AI3YSV3M

I had to go back and check, but the copilot really was called Lt.Cmdr. STOVL

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

FrozenVent posted:

U-2s are so crazy. Sometime I'm going to end up getting myself arrested trying to get a photo of one flying up in Marysville.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

Slo-Tek posted:

Yup. Both as a flying boat and a floatplane.

Now if only they could have surreptitiously filled that Iranian stadium with water... :v:

Edit: Seriously, they should make one of those just because. There's already a billion versions of the C130 why not actually make a seaplane version?

Duke Chin fucked around with this message at 05:28 on May 8, 2014

Powercube
Nov 23, 2006

I don't like that dude... I don't like THAT DUDE!

MrChips posted:

AirlineReporter.com (the website that Powercube writes for) actually published an article about this very thing just today; read it here.

Wow, praise from Cesar! I'll pass it along to my :sperge: friend. I keep trying to get my boss to let us do more military things.

Speaking of military stuff, I'll be in Kazakhstan writing for another outfit in two weeks... I'll fill the thread with pictures of Mig-31BMs, and maybe a crappy selfie of me and Toktar Aubukirov.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

MRC48B posted:

So, just to be clear, the plan for Credible Sport was:

Fly a bunch of Delta guys in modified C-130s from the continental US,
do five aerial refueling operations on the way,
do a low-level infiltration into Iran at night,
do a rocket-brake landing into a soccer stadium,
the commandos jump out and kick doors/shoot faces,
bring the hostages back to the planes,

then rocket-jump out of said stadium,
survive a harrowing low-level flight out of Iran avoiding their now alerted air defenses,
and do another landing onto a waiting navy aircraft carrier. In a C-130. Which has probably taken significant damage on the way out.

Wait, what? I thought the idea was the SpecOps guys would be airdropped/infiltrate independently, get the hostages out and bring them to the stadium while the Herc was en route; then it would land, load passengers, and get back in the air ASAP to minimize the time the Iranian AF had to scramble fighters or whatever.

If they were gonna do it this way instead, that's an even higher level of :psyduck: than I already thought.

Naturally Selected
Nov 28, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Fucknag posted:

Wait, what? I thought the idea was the SpecOps guys would be airdropped/infiltrate independently, get the hostages out and bring them to the stadium while the Herc was en route; then it would land, load passengers, and get back in the air ASAP to minimize the time the Iranian AF had to scramble fighters or whatever.

If they were gonna do it this way instead, that's an even higher level of :psyduck: than I already thought.

Regardless of specops infil, what other way would they get the herk into the stadium? Not like they can just truck it in then assemble it right quick.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Naturally Selected posted:

Regardless of specops infil, what other way would they get the herk into the stadium? Not like they can just truck it in then assemble it right quick.

I posted:

then it would land, load passengers, and get back in the air ASAP

As in, they'd be doing the wetwork while the herk was flying in, get to the stadium right as it rocket-brakes in, etc.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

I think he's saying that the mad part is the landing, not the waiting round on the pitch

Naturally Selected
Nov 28, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Brain blanked on that middle part of your post so yeah, I assumed that you were talking about actually landing the thing in the stadium. In my defense it's late and I'm dumb.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

simplefish posted:

I think he's saying that the mad part is the landing, not the waiting round on the pitch

Oh I agree, but waiting on the ground in hostile territory for 30 minutes-several hours (however long the prison break would have taken) adds a ridiculous amount of conventional danger to the mission, on top of the batshit STOL shenanigans that are happening either way.

Tsuru
May 12, 2008

MrChips posted:

Airplanes that don't belong on carriers? How about a Fokker F28?

:geert:

Assuming the carrier is steaming into a headwind at full speed, most narrowbody jets can be landed on the deck with no arrestor hook and room to spare. And some of them can even take off again without help. A few years ago I got the opportunity to try this for myself in the visual scene that was part of this very project and was installed on another sim (for science, you see), and personally landed a simulated F100 on the deck of a simulated Enterprise. There is another aircraft type which I have done this in, and I will now proceed to get on ausgezeichnet's and everyone else's tits and say that that is also quite doable :getin:

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

It looks like the F-35 might be ideal for the Coast Guard and Navy to deal with small inflatable enemyboats as the laser mod is progressing well.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-6tbo8amfE
[/sarcasm]

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Fucknag posted:

Oh I agree, but waiting on the ground in hostile territory for 30 minutes-several hours (however long the prison break would have taken) adds a ridiculous amount of conventional danger to the mission, on top of the batshit STOL shenanigans that are happening either way.

Wouldn't they have had to bring more troops on the plane anyway to secure the planes/stadium while they were waiting for the embassy force+hostages to arrive. Eg Random police/army patrol passing the stadium when the Herc's landed, who'd probably take an interest?

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

Fucknag posted:

The Israelis did it in Entebbe, although they were at an actual airport.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Mortabis posted:

The Israelis did it in Entebbe, although they were at an actual airport.

The military strengths of Uganda and Iran aren't really comparable. Iran at that time had hot poo poo, flyable and armed F-14's.

Outside Dawg
Feb 24, 2013
That entire operation gave new meaning to the term clusterfuck. So many things went wrong on so many levels, it took a book to list them all.

Naturally Selected
Nov 28, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Outside Dawg posted:

That entire operation gave new meaning to the term clusterfuck. So many things went wrong on so many levels, it took a book to list them all.

That reminds me, any recommendations for books on the whole Iran situation back then? Only thing I've read was All the Shah's Men, so if there's anything else good out there, I'd love to get my hands on it.

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

That reminds me, any recommendations for books on the whole Iran situation back then? Only thing I've read was All the Shah's Men, so if there's anything else good out there, I'd love to get my hands on it.

Guests of the Ayatollah by Mark Bowden.

pbpancho
Feb 17, 2004
-=International Sales=-

Sir Cornelius posted:

Guests of the Ayatollah by Mark Bowden.

Yep, this is a great book.

benito
Sep 28, 2004

And I don't blab
any drab gab--
I chatter hep patter

Duke Chin posted:

Now if only they could have surreptitiously filled that Iranian stadium with water... :v:

There are crazier ideas...

Illustration by Stan Mott, who had a lot of other crazy designs. I'm sure some of you will enjoy his Russian aircraft.

benito fucked around with this message at 22:51 on May 8, 2014

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

benito posted:

You should know I bust out laughing at this.

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

benito posted:

You can't go wrong with a desert-seaplane-carrier-tank-with-sharks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Outside Dawg
Feb 24, 2013

Not a book but there is a link to a PDF report on "Eagle Claw", here: http://oai.dtic.mil/oai/oai?verb=getRecord&metadataPrefix=html&identifier=ADA402471