Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wormy
Feb 1, 2009
To me, this episode further highlights a big difference between Marvel and DC: when superpowered beings/aliens/bad people run amok in a major city, Marvel seems to at most hint that some innocent bystanders get hurt or killed, whereas DC straight up shows it. I was genuinely shocked when the DA got murdered by a Deathstroker, along with Blood's entire staff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

Some Numbers posted:

What's Roy going to do? Without mirakuru, he's just a street punk who can almost take a beating.

There's a shot of him with a bow, so it looks like they're going full Red Arrow. He's probably still not great with it, but accuracy's less important when you're firing into an entire army.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Narcissus1916 posted:

I was honestly surprised where Blood ended up - a month ago I would not have guessed "elected as mayor, but eventually betrays Slade after realizing how crazy he was" as the likely story path.

While I guessed Moira's death correctly (even down to which episode it was likely to happen - thanks narrative structure!), I've no idea where the finale will take us.

If I'm a betting man...

- Sara will survive, but will leave the main cast. During season 3 she'll be off adventuring or training with the League, and will make a surprise reappearance whenever the show needs a jolt. She's too much of a dominating force to stay long term; Roy's storyline this year felt perpetually truncated because of how much time Sara's arc needed.

- Slade has to survive. We've built an entire season around an Oliver who doesn't kill unless necessary, no way we're junking all of that. Plus, the show clearly recognizes how great Manu Bennett is, and having Deathstroke around the edges of this universe is a very useful thing.

- Thea has to go off and be trained by her father, right? That's the obvious path with the most storyline potential, but I could also see them killing off Barrowman if they want to raise the stakes.

- Who is Slade referring to with all "the one person you love most" talk? last week I thought it was just a poetic justification for Slade murdering the entire city, but they've clogged so many references to it that it has to have some payoff.

- Look out, Diggle. The HIVE series arc is still stuck in neutral, and for the longest time i thought this gave him some nice Plot Armor. But the writers could use Diggle's death to motivate Oliver to pick up that plot thread.

Idle Speculation is awesome!

I don't see how Sara survives because I'm not sure what you do with Laurel then? She becomes DA and?

Also up until this episode I'd have assumed Sara was the one other who had to die (after all Ollie loved her enough to choose her over Shadow), but I feel like they were pretty clear the "other one" is literally Starling City with Slade's monologues.

Trivial Fursuit
Dec 18, 2009

Narcissus1916 posted:

- Who is Slade referring to with all "the one person you love most" talk? last week I thought it was just a poetic justification for Slade murdering the entire city, but they've clogged so many references to it that it has to have some payoff.

My guess is Ollie's kiddo.

Wormy
Feb 1, 2009

quote:

I feel like they were pretty clear the "other one" is literally Starling City with Slade's monologues.

Weren't Slade's exact words "One more person has to die" after killing Moira? I like the idea of the city being the one Ollie truly loves, but that seems far less personal than it being a specific individual.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

XboxPants posted:

Aw, no Black Driver?

They're walking to wherever they're going; That way they can form that badass formation. Nothing badass about the lot of them being cooped up in the back of diggle's minivan like a junior soccer team.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Wormy posted:

Weren't Slade's exact words "One more person has to die" after killing Moira? I like the idea of the city being the one Ollie truly loves, but that seems far less personal than it being a specific individual.

The personification of a city seems pretty common for comic book stories and DC does it regularly with Gotham and Metropolis.

And I don't think think it'd be weird to suggest Slade is crazy enough to not hew perfectly to semantic definitions...

Wormy
Feb 1, 2009

Slime Bro Helpdesk posted:

The personification of a city seems pretty common for comic book stories and DC does it regularly with Gotham and Metropolis.

And I don't think think it'd be weird to suggest Slade is crazy enough to not hew perfectly to semantic definitions...

True, I guess I just feel like finding out who Ollie loves "the most" among the people in his life (or at least who Slade thinks it is) would be more interesting. We already know he loves Starling City; he's proven that by coming back to be its hero. An actual person would provide a better look into Ollie's mind...why that person, above all others, when all of them deserve Ollie's love?

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

Don't tell me no one has told the girl she isn't exactly human!

Narcissus1916 posted:

Lance proves himself to the cops, leading to the entire SCPD taking orders from Oliver.

I was really gad to see Quentin "I was right about every goddamn thing I've ever said" Lance get his detective's badge back.

So I wonder if next season the cops are going to be more open about working with Arrow, or if we are going to get a new Police Chief who hates him for reasons. Probably the latter.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Narcissus1916 posted:

- Look out, Diggle. The HIVE series arc is still stuck in neutral, and for the longest time i thought this gave him some nice Plot Armor. But the writers could use Diggle's death to motivate Oliver to pick up that plot thread.

Turns out HIVE is lethal to poor Dig.

insert arrow-hiv.gif here

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 13:59 on May 8, 2014

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The one has to be Sara, the one he chose. This is all about that moment.

Or it might be Laurel and Sara sacrifices herself for her.

Either way I'm pretty sure Sara is dying.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Wormy posted:

True, I guess I just feel like finding out who Ollie loves "the most" among the people in his life (or at least who Slade thinks it is) would be more interesting. We already know he loves Starling City; he's proven that by coming back to be its hero. An actual person would provide a better look into Ollie's mind...why that person, above all others, when all of them deserve Ollie's love?

I could see them sticking with a more friendly police force as a way to balance out what seems to be the underlying Ollie story of season 3: Ollie Queen, commoner.

Edit- also if you make Arrow and the PD friendly, you can easily have Felicity become a police consultant and keep her as the "computer nerd" on the team. And they do have an opening now, with the last guy getting Deathstroked?

Fidel Cuckstro fucked around with this message at 14:42 on May 8, 2014

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

imperialparadox posted:

So I wonder if next season the cops are going to be more open about working with Arrow, or if we are going to get a new Police Chief who hates him for reasons. Probably the latter.

Seems to me like they're setting up some serious anti-mask sentiment as a result of Slade's Army. I can easily imagine someone coming along all :argh:THIS NEVER HAPPENED BEFORE HE CAME ALONG!:argh: That might have even been what Blood was gunning for; use the men in masks to scare the city into letting him set up a police state. Because otherwise I'm really not sure why he thought releasing tons of crazy violent supermen was going to help Starling City. Far as I can tell, his plan was;

1. Release Mirakuru Army into Starling to wreak havoc.
2. Call them off once enough damage is done.
3. ????
4. PROFIT. STARLING CITY IS SAVED. VOTE BLOOD IN 2018. :patriot:

Crunk Abortion
Mar 5, 2009

Young based lord and I look like JESUS
Count me in for digging Laurel's scenes/arc for the last few episodes. She's done much better with the improved material.

Also, I'm gonna call bullshit on Thea shooting the mirakuru dude. I think she straight the gently caress up capped Barrowman, which is moot because he's probably wearing body armor. That's not a character death, that's her showing enough backbone (more than Tommy ever had) to motivate him to take her under his wing and give her a skillset to go with her "wicked aim" and her willingness to act.

Also, how in the actual gently caress is this image (spoiler? from the preview) an actual thing that exists?

loving Green Arrow, Speedy, Black Canary, and just because that's not batshit nerdy enough, the loving League of Assassins for good measure. That's a TV show that's actually happening, and somehow it's amazing instead of lovely, and all of that blows my mind even after 2 seasons worth of time to get used to it. I don't think you can honestly have a conversation about the best filmed adaptations of superhero comic books anymore without mentioning this show, and that's kind of mind-boggling for something that came from a second-tier broadcast channel on a shoestring budget adapting a C-list superhero that 99% of people had probably never heard of outside the lovely version on Smallville.

Crunk Abortion fucked around with this message at 14:09 on May 8, 2014

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I wonder if they're going to make Ollie mayor next year.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

God I hope not.

Having Queen fall from the penthouse and maybe grow a little bit in that respect would be good and in-line with the Green Arrow as Social Justice Warrior arcs from comics past, and "can Ollie juggle his responsibilities as Arrow and a real person?" has been asked and answered this season- he can't and it would be kind of boring if he could.

Also at this point Starling City citizens should be voting on a proposition to ban all Queens from the city given how any time they crop up the city is literally set on fire.

Fidel Cuckstro fucked around with this message at 14:18 on May 8, 2014

Wormy
Feb 1, 2009

Aphrodite posted:

Now that he's broke, Season 3 will be all about Ollie learning to rely less on computer hacking/explosive/high tech arrows, and more on boxing gloves/bags of angry cats.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
he's already kissing peoples babies

drat Amell.

https://www.facebook.com/stephenamell/photos/a.510703882348217.1073741826.146921975393078/643409369077667/?type=1

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Wormy posted:

Well unless they pull something out of their rear end (which would be bad and out of character for their writers), Slade would have to think Sara is the person Ollie loves the most. Not because Slade's some great analyst of the human mind- but because he's insane and thinks Shadow talks to him and his entire motivation revolves around that moment where Ollie picks Sara over Shadow.

Anything else is a reach when you look at it through the lens of Slade's crazy motives- even Thea or Felicity.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
When Slade talked about destroying the city, he said something like "I'd told him I'd take away everything he loves", which is a more general statement. Not the same as his very specific threat that "one more person has to die". Sarah makes the most sense because in Slade's mind she was a part of causing Shado's death.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC
Sara will survive only to leave with Nyssa because that was part of her bargain for securing Nyssa's help, returning to the League.

eNeMeE
Nov 26, 2012

Aphrodite posted:

Either way I'm pretty sure Sara is dying.
I'm betting Sara gets killed by Slade and "killed" by Ollie at about the same time on screen.

Or Ollie kills them both in the past and saves them both in the present.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

Trivial Fursuit posted:

My guess is Ollie's kiddo.

His kid that he doesn't even know exists?

Did anyone else find it hilarious when Sara took off her mask and wig? The wig that is a slightly lighter shade of blonde and about 1 inch longer than her normal hair?

Please stop with the preview spoilers :(

Scuzzywuffit
Feb 5, 2012

Wormy posted:

Now that he's broke, Season 3 will be all about Ollie learning to rely less on computer hacking/explosive/high tech arrows, and more on boxing gloves/bags of angry cats.

In the first season, he was the Hood. In the second season, he was the Arrow. In the third, given his financial situation and how many people are learning his secret, he is...Welfare Queen.

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005
Not that it's not awesome but I'm trying to speculate as to WHY the League of Assassins gets involved in this. Sara has been 'released' but I don't think they're on terms friendly enough to call in a favor like having the city merked.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Dead Snoopy posted:

Not that it's not awesome but I'm trying to speculate as to WHY the League of Assassins gets involved in this. Sara has been 'released' but I don't think they're on terms friendly enough to call in a favor like having the city merked.

They have a code.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Dead Snoopy posted:

Well it could be Merlyn that called them in. Granted Moyria had him carted off but maybe he has some unknown leverage?

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Dead Snoopy posted:

They plan to take it over themselves when it is at it's weakest, and next season will be penniless Ollie leading a guerrilla resistance to take the city back.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

They want Barrowman. Barrowman's in the city. Sara promises them Barrowman if they help Ollie, but also promises to go back to them, then dies so can't fulfill her end of the bargain.

So they take Thea instead :stare:

Oracle fucked around with this message at 17:25 on May 8, 2014

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Sara probably made a deal with Nyssa. She's one of their leaders so she can just make them do what she wants.

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005

Slime Bro Helpdesk posted:

Well it could be Merlyn that called them in. Granted Moyria had him carted off but maybe he has some unknown leverage?

The League wants Malcom dead and that's why he ran, so I don't think so.

Actually, it would be interesting to see Starling City be cut off from the US after an Argus strike and everything going low tech for a while. You know, basically rip off the Batman No Man's Land story.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Dead Snoopy posted:

The League wants Malcom dead and that's why he ran, so I don't think so.

Actually, it would be interesting to see Starling City be cut off from the US after an Argus strike and everything going low tech for a while. You know, basically rip off the Batman No Man's Land story.

Similar to the League taking over the city ala Dark Knight Rises, that seems a bit much for a CW TV show to pull off.

Maybe there's bad blood between the League and HIVE? Although it's probably way to late in the game to shoehorn that explanation into the season finale.

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005
men, some rubble here and there...talks about the city being cut off...inconsistent operational tech and a general sense of disorder. I think it can be done on a budget.

edit: Actually, if The League has been tracking Malcolm maybe he's inadvertently led them to Starling City just in time for this throw down. Thea may be the voice of reason in the middle of all this and rally The League or strike a Faustian deal similar to Sara's with Oliver and team finding out too late. Malcolm, in his twisted way, would glow with pride over the resilience of his daughter while Oliver would be horrified. Either way it gets everybody on the same page against Slade.

Dead Snoopy fucked around with this message at 18:13 on May 8, 2014

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Just finished the episode and I just...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Q1g8HAAmsA&feature=youtube_gdata_player :psyduck:

gently caress movies, this really is the best comic adaptation ever made. They're walking like three fuckin tightropes here, be cheesy at times but not too cheesy, don't be too serious, but respect the material, wow the audience on a literally nothing budget. And they've pulled it off.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Dead Snoopy posted:

edit: Actually, if The League has been tracking Malcolm maybe he's inadvertently led them to Starling City just in time for this throw down.

Or Sara just went and got them...

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005
Yeah, Sara making the call is my first reaction too but if she's roaming aimlessly around Starling at this point she's doing so after she's flown somewhere and created this situation of action then come back to the city and gone all slacker. In the middle of an existentialist crisis no less. I mean, possible but to see none of it and just have it happen wouldn't make a compelling narrative. To suggest that Sara is proactive while being 'lost' just strikes me as weak-sauce.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Dead Snoopy posted:

men, some rubble here and there...talks about the city being cut off...inconsistent operational tech and a general sense of disorder. I think it can be done on a budget.

edit: Actually, if The League has been tracking Malcolm maybe he's inadvertently led them to Starling City just in time for this throw down. Thea may be the voice of reason in the middle of all this and rally The League or strike a Faustian deal similar to Sara's with Oliver and team finding out too late. Malcolm, in his twisted way, would glow with pride over the resilience of his daughter while Oliver would be horrified. Either way it gets everybody on the same page against Slade.

I don't think it's a budget issue so much as could you maintain that mood and story of the the better part of a season while you're still also trying to make the show accessible/inviting...and also not walking yourself into a situation where you'd never be able to raise the stakes more than that.

Skunny Wundy
Jul 9, 2012

I was so proud of CW when Felicity and Oliver hugged instead of having a big slow mo sparks falling from the ceiling kiss scene.

Scuzzywuffit
Feb 5, 2012

Dead Snoopy posted:

Yeah, Sara making the call is my first reaction too but if she's roaming aimlessly around Starling at this point she's doing so after she's flown somewhere and created this situation of action then come back to the city and gone all slacker. In the middle of an existentialist crisis no less. I mean, possible but to see none of it and just have it happen wouldn't make a compelling narrative. To suggest that Sara is proactive while being 'lost' just strikes me as weak-sauce.

It didn't seem like she was that aimless. We find her because she comes to rescue her sister.

Why she didn't just come out and say that when Laurel asked her why she came back, I have no idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

Skunny Wundy posted:

I was so proud of CW when Felicity and Oliver hugged instead of having a big slow mo sparks falling from the ceiling kiss scene.

I don't think CW are doing anything particularly admirable. They are doing the age old "obvious couple take 5 seasons to get together because the network is worried that shippers will lose interest once they actually get together". In its own way, this is just as dumb as a big slow mo sparks falling kiss scene.

• Locked thread