Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Piell posted:

Raw is really bad except on stuff like crossbows that don't have any scaling anyways, never use it except in that case.

Anything with low scaling as well. If someone has a single scaling that's C or lower, Raw is a good bet. i.e. Dragon Tooth, Channeler's Trident, among others.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
I would completely lose interest in NG+ if it weren't for the popos. :allears: Keep at it guys, I'm sure someday you'll find me before I shoot crystal spears up your butt.

(I do wish Hush/Slumbering Dragon negated spellcasting sounds though. Some of them know how to roll. :negative:)

edit: jesus the textures in this game are awful :(

turtlecrunch fucked around with this message at 14:06 on May 8, 2014

Orv
May 4, 2011

Foxhound posted:

What's the fastest way to dash through NMW without bringing the whole drat town with you to the dock if I want to farm the dark phantom and assassins for their stupid armor sets? Are there any convenient places to jump over stuff? I guess not since you gotta ring the stupid bell. :(

The fastest path is through the shortcut grate that you open from the other side of the mutlistory house near the Pharros Contraption. You go through there and drop on the roof of the first level from the second. You can then run directly into the boss room to farm the assassins because the vikings coming out of the hold don't actually have active AI until they're all out. Farming the phantom is going to still require you to clear the hangers.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
So I'm making a str/faith paladin build, and I'm trying to figure out what weapon I should use. I don't want to use the Heide Knight Sword the entire game again. Would the Black Knight Greatsword be good with lightning infusion, or does the inherent fire damage make it not a good choice for that?

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

RBA Starblade posted:

Mundane doesn't sound like it'd be useful for me then, and I should put Raw on things with less than A scaling? Is it supposed to be for well-balanced builds, or does it just scale really well?

Mundane is for gimmick builds where you have all stats at the same value.

I wouldn't put Raw on stuff that has scaling better than D in your primary stat.

BAD AT STUFF
May 10, 2012

We choose to go to the moon in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because fuck you.

It was dumb, but I did it. 75 STR and a combined weight of 52 units, but I can use them without even having to fatroll.

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007

turtlecrunch posted:

I would completely lose interest in NG+ if it weren't for the popos. :allears: Keep at it guys, I'm sure someday you'll find me before I shoot crystal spears up your butt.

(I do wish Hush/Slumbering Dragon negated spellcasting sounds though. Some of them know how to roll. :negative:)

Joke's on you. I always chameleon when I'm doing the 5-0 thing too so I can't be targeted by your silly spells. :smugdog:

Orv posted:

The fastest path is through the shortcut grate that you open from the other side of the mutlistory house near the Pharros Contraption. You go through there and drop on the roof of the first level from the second. You can then run directly into the boss room to farm the assassins because the vikings coming out of the hold don't actually have active AI until they're all out. Farming the phantom is going to still require you to clear the hangers.

Won't the shortcut and the ship reset when I ascetic though? I thought the phantom only spawns once per NG cycle/ascetic.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Now I remember why Freja is the worst boss in the game by far

:negative:

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Foxhound posted:

Won't the shortcut and the ship reset when I ascetic though? I thought the phantom only spawns once per NG cycle/ascetic.

The skeleton cave shortcut to skeleton lords doesn't reset when you ascetic so I expect the ship may not either because that would only by kind and logical.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Foxhound posted:

I don't know if the shortcut resets when you ascetic. If it does then the fastest is just to run the course to the bell without engaging. Don't think it will though.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
I've realised that there are almost no interesting bosses in this game, neither in mechanics, backstory, or design. They're all just dodge -> smack (With a handful of exceptions, but even Chariot turns into that after phase 1). The only real difficulty is that they can either do so much damage that they one-shot you, or they can stunlock you to death.
Using any kind of magic does, as I'm sure everyone has picked up by now, make the game a complete joke.

Ah well, it was fun while it lasted. Time to move on to something else.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Broken Cog posted:

I've realised that there are almost no interesting bosses in this game, neither in mechanics, backstory, or design. They're all just dodge -> smack (With a handful of exceptions, but even Chariot turns into that after phase 1). The only real difficulty is that they can either do so much damage that they one-shot you, or they can stunlock you to death.
Using any kind of magic does, as I'm sure everyone has picked up by now, make the game a complete joke.

Ah well, it was fun while it lasted. Time to move on to something else.

Bosses in Dark Souls 1 are no different. What exactly do you expect out of a souls boss? This game really is lacking an Artorias/Manus kind of Boss though. Freja is probably the most uncommon boss design wise.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

FrickenMoron posted:

Freja is probably the most uncommon boss design wise.

Freja is literally armored spider with two heads instead of one. Also she's a spider in a videogame.

Chariot is best boss.

turtlecrunch fucked around with this message at 14:23 on May 8, 2014

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

FrickenMoron posted:

Bosses in Dark Souls 1 are no different. What exactly do you expect out of a souls boss? This game really is lacking an Artorias/Manus kind of Boss though. Freja is probably the most uncommon boss design wise.

I dunno, I had at least hope there were some "interesting" looking bosses like Bed of Chaos or Four Kings. Even though those fights were horribly designed messes that were unfun to fight and super easy to cheese, they were at least different from the others.
As you mentioned, Manus was fairly interesting as well.

I never used magic in DS1, but I heard it was pretty broken, so I believe you on that.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
I mean from a gameplay point. It's very different from the usual circle strafe bosses at least.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Alan Smithee posted:

Now I remember why Freja is the worst boss in the game by far

:negative:

Freja is a chump. Bait the laser, run to the other side, go to town.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

turtlecrunch posted:

Freja is literally armored spider with two heads instead of one. Also she's a spider in a videogame.

Chariot is best boss.

Armoured spider had such a weird battle theme.

Chariot is great and is probably the best gimmick boss this series has ever had. It fights nothing like a normal boss while still using the game mechanics well. Its completely fair and not terribly difficult, but still a blast to fight because of its design. Also it has skeletons. Its got everything!

FrickenMoron posted:

I mean from a gameplay point. It's very different from the usual circle strafe bosses at least.

For me fighting Freja boiled down to baiting out its laser, sprinting to the other side of its body to hit the exposed head, repeat. I basically circle strafed it on a large scale.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
I love armor spider in demons, though the spazzing out move always looks weird.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Internet Kraken posted:

Chariot is great and is probably the best gimmick boss this series has ever had. It fights nothing like a normal boss while still using the game mechanics well. Its completely fair and not terribly difficult, but still a blast to fight because of its design. Also it has skeletons. Its got everything!

Eh, it's literally just a gauntlet followed by a boss that acts almost exactly like those armored Boars from DS1.

It's still the most unique boss in the game, though, so there's that.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

FrickenMoron posted:

More like the reverse, really. There's too many of them. They were trying to make every boss like Artorias and pretty much forgot that it would've been a boring fight too if you had just slogged through 20 more like it.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

JAssassin posted:

So I'm making a str/faith paladin build, and I'm trying to figure out what weapon I should use. I don't want to use the Heide Knight Sword the entire game again. Would the Black Knight Greatsword be good with lightning infusion, or does the inherent fire damage make it not a good choice for that?

Black Knight kit would be 'bad' because of the fire damage. You can use it, and infuse for fire and do fine, but if you want to do the lightning thing, just find any old non-element weapon with a moveset you like and infuse for Lightning. Toward the end you can get Defender's Greatsword which is pretty much the 'best' Faith/Str weapon.

If you want a bit of a transition, you can grab the Dragonslayer Axe from Shaded Forest. It is immediately behind the Flexile Sentry in there. It's a unique weapon, so you'll need Twinkling, but it compliments the Heide Knight Sword pretty well if you want to powerstance it up before getting Defender's later in the game.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

JAssassin posted:

Slip through Shaded Woods ASAP and buy a Claymore from Vengarl. Upgrade it, lightning infuse it when possible.

It's a great weapon and will prepare you for the moveset on Defender's Greatsword which is basically King of the Hill for Faith weapons.

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007
I always had more problems with Manus than Artorias anyway. Something about mixing up super slam dunks with black bullshit hexes made Manus a pain in the rear end. At least you could summon the best phantom for it. :3:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Sif was hilariously useless in the Manus fight though. He does basically no damage and doesn't even serve as a good distraction. If Artorias was relying on Sif to help him then no wonder he got crushed. Bad dog.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Artorias compromised his fighting ability by defending Sif. He held his shield to protect the wolf until his own arm snapped, forcing him to leave it over Sif and fight Manus - and the player - with one arm. :colbert:

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

poptart_fairy posted:

Artorias compromised his fighting ability by defending Sif. He held his shield to protect the wolf until his own arm snapped, forcing him to leave it over Sif and fight Manus - and the player - with one arm. :colbert:

There is no lore in this game that is anywhere close to as cool as that.

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.
Is it just me or is the Giant Lord a load of bullshit? He can hit you with his sword even when you're standing directly beneath him, I don't get how you're supposed to avoid that.

e: It's not that he swings beneath him either, the invisible hitbox extends way past where the sword physically is.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

THE PWNER posted:

Yeah the way I've been playing the game is basically "run past 10 enemies, use bonfire. Run past 10 enemies, fight boss. Run past 10 enemies, use bonfire. Run past 10 more enemies, fight another boss."

I know you could run by stuff in DS1 too, but that's not my complaint. My complaint is that there's too many bosses and not enough between them.

No Man's Wharf, the Gutter, and the very short archer lava area in Iron Keep before smelter were the only non-boss areas that took me more than 3 minutes to complete/run through. What's in Black Gulch? I couldn't tell you, I got to the bonfire then ran to the boss and killed him. This took about 3 minutes.

So your complaint is that there's not enough non-boss gameplay, when you're intentionally running past all the non-boss gameplay? Uh, ok.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Red Crown posted:

Is it just me or is the Giant Lord a load of bullshit? He can hit you with his sword even when you're standing directly beneath him, I don't get how you're supposed to avoid that.

Stand slightly behind his left foot and roll when he swings. After a fight or two, you should have the timing down to kill him without taking damage. He's a dumb boss, and your biggest enemy is honestly the camera.

Or you could just run up on the platform to the left and absolutely destroy him with magic.

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

It's saying something when I found the Royal Rat Vanguard to be one of the more interesting boss fights in my first Dark Souls 2 run simply by virtue of it not being immediately obvious what's going on/how to win.

"WTF why are there so many rats why isn't the boss HP going down OMG poison OMG petrification goddamn unbreakable statues poo poo my weapon is breaking" etc.

More multi-stage bosses (like the smelter demon) with something like changing arena conditions where chunks of the floor start falling out the longer the fight goes, certain areas catch on fire or rubble falls down, etc, would have made things more interesting, but it feels like they ran out of ideas.

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.

Broken Cog posted:

Stand slightly behind his left foot and roll when he swings. After a fight or two, you should have the timing down to kill him without taking damage. He's a dumb boss, and your biggest enemy is honestly the camera.

Or you could just run up on the platform to the left and absolutely destroy him with magic.

I guess. It's basically the last giant fight except he's wearing clothes so you can't actually see anything. This isn't as bad as Smelter Demon but wow, 99% of it is just getting the feel for where the invisible hitbox is going to be, so gently caress this fight.

e: The most annoying thing about this that every so often the NPCs on the run up decide to take a liking to you rather than just go about their business

e2: IMPORTANT NOTE: the boss can and will hit you straight through the level geometry. The sword's hitbox is MUCH bigger than the actual model. It's not longer, but it is significantly wider both in terms of how fat the box is when he smashes down and how wide the slash area is.

Red Crown fucked around with this message at 15:18 on May 8, 2014

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

pmchem posted:

So your complaint is that there's not enough non-boss gameplay, when you're intentionally running past all the non-boss gameplay? Uh, ok.

Some people can't be helped man. Their brains just aren't wired to have fun :shrug:

I don't know what exactly he expects when he's running past all the gameplay but there ya go. I'm having fun seeing how far I can push it without actually resting at a bonfire myself. I usually just light bonfires and keep moving until I'm critically low on durability and/or supplies and that's been pretty entertaining between bosses.

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009

Bobnumerotres posted:

Dark souls was a 40 hour game. Dark Souls 2 is also 40ish hours. I don't know what you spent 100 hours doing.

Took me about 60 hours with lots of sunbroing and a little pvp but if you suck and die tons it can easily take 100+ hours to clear, I know a couple of people that threw over 100 hours at the game and didnt even finish it.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Brasseye posted:

Took me about 60 hours with lots of sunbroing and a little pvp but if you suck and die tons it can easily take 100+ hours to clear, I know a couple of people that threw over 100 hours at the game and didnt even finish it.

I think you have to be really bad to have a first playthrough be that long. Most LPs/streams I've seen of DkS take somewhere between 30-60 hours, and my first playthrough was a bit shy of 60.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Some people just like to plod around and do a lot of co-op gameplay or whatever.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Did you have fun? Oh good, who cares how long it took.

KernelSlanders
May 27, 2013

Rogue operating systems on occasion spread lies and rumors about me.
Has anyone had any success getting DkS to run under Bootcamp?

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx

pmchem posted:

Actually, I was doing it all initially. Until I realized that the game is just a bunch of bonfire checkpoints with 5 enemies between them, and that meticulously clearing everything was neither needed nor particularly enjoyable.

Not exactly hard to understand, especially if you played DaS1. Most of the non-boss enemies in Dark Souls 1 were not actually very hard or anything, it's that surviving from bonfire to bonfire with limited resources was challenging and fun. This game retains the same level of difficulty of said enemies while almost completely removing the survival aspect.

THE PWNER fucked around with this message at 15:22 on May 8, 2014

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

So far, the only time I've ever run past dudes in this game was in the Tower of Flame when I was tired of killing those big old knight guys on my way to retry the Old Dragonslayer. Other than that I feel this game really rewards people who take there time and explore every nook and cranny, not to mention it's fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx

Ice Fist posted:

So far, the only time I've ever run past dudes in this game was in the Tower of Flame when I was tired of killing those big old knight guys on my way to retry the Old Dragonslayer. Other than that I feel this game really rewards people who take there time and explore every nook and cranny, not to mention it's fun.

Don't tell anyone, but you can actually run past everything and still explore stuff. I'm still picking up almost every item etc, just with a massive train of slow and dumb enemies behind me :ssh: