Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Rogers...

Rogers never changes. :a2m:
There is only Rogers, and it is always worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

mewse posted:

I hope this story becomes Kafka-esque and you are still unsatisfied at tier 43 support
I actually expect that.

On that note, still no response from :siren:TIER 3:siren:

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

slidebite posted:

I actually expect that.

On that note, still no response from :siren:TIER 3:siren:

Seriously, do this:

http://who.is/whois/teksavvy.com

Go to this website and find an email address that looks important. Email it saying customer service is useless and mention you've attached a wireshark packet tracer file and that he should forward it to the proper people at customer support.

When customer support sees an email being forwarded from their boss, they're going to get their poo poo together a whole lot quicker.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

Better yet, try emailing Marc.Gaudrault@teksavvy.com or m.gaudrault and say you're not satisfied with their service.

Its called CEO email bombing. I did this with Lenovo once and got a free out of warranty repair.

You can probably find the right email through Google if that bounces.

John Capslocke
Jun 5, 2007
If you really want to go directly to the CEO, just message him on DSLreports, he frequents them all the time

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer

37th Chamber posted:

If you really want to go directly to the CEO, just message him on DSLreports, he frequents them all the time

Yeah I would honestly just use DSLReports. The direct forum there is so much better then trying their phone lines and if you raise a stink in the public forum usually they'll tell you to start a thread in the direct forum and have someone actually figure out your issue.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Yeah, Marc makes his presence known on DSL report and I won't bother with him unless I get really frustrated. I am using Teksavvy Direct's forum on DSL reports for communication.

To be fair, my connection shits the bed from about 7PM to 10PM, but I'm really only browsing then and it's still at least 5mbps so it's good enough for that. Teksavvy support has been pretty good so far, they're waiting on Telus at this point. I actually think Telus is tinkering around because even as I type this I've seen my connection get lost which never happens so hopefully they see the issue.

Kachunkachunk
Jun 6, 2011
I'd hope!
Also have you ever noticed your modem resynching at lower speeds but staying online and relatively stable? I had a Speedtouch 516 that would sometimes lower its rate below my subscribed speed until I rebooted it (presumably after a blip or problem happened). After rebooting it, it'd run normally at 6Mbit (my subscribed rate) for a while until my next blip or problem, then it'll drop. This was Teksavvy over Bell in an older area in Burlington a few years ago.

ComputerNinja
Aug 8, 2003
What?
Pork Pro
I finally got Teksavvy cable internet on monday. I was going to cancel Telus today but noticed my billing period started yesterday and was automatically paid. What's the chance they prorate my bill and give me the rest of the money back?

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
Slim to none, most likely they require you to give 30 days notice for cancellation anyway.

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

ComputerNinja posted:

What's the chance they prorate my bill and give me the rest of the money back?

Call them, say you want to cancel, when you talk to the cancellation department explain your frustration about the charges. If they still refuse, request to speak with a supervisor and they will almost definitely do it for you.

Kly fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Apr 26, 2014

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Kachunkachunk posted:

I'd hope!
Also have you ever noticed your modem resynching at lower speeds but staying online and relatively stable? I had a Speedtouch 516 that would sometimes lower its rate below my subscribed speed until I rebooted it (presumably after a blip or problem happened). After rebooting it, it'd run normally at 6Mbit (my subscribed rate) for a while until my next blip or problem, then it'll drop. This was Teksavvy over Bell in an older area in Burlington a few years ago.

I have done that but I don't think its a synch issue; the speeds start to climb back up after 9PM to pretty much normal speeds by midnight without cycling it. The modem shows good stats.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
The way throttling works is by your gateway (isp) will send back messages to your router saying "our threshold is getting full, chill out on the packets for 5ms" and then your router complies and you get a lower net throughput. These messages (icmp) are recordable by wireshark and human readable if you know the format for them (google it)

Seriously, if they're throttling despite everything they've said you can literally send them the trace results and call them out on it.

If they are not throttling then they've most likely got insufficient bandwidth capacity for peak times at a particular gateway or segment of their network and may not even be aware of it.

Wireshark can help with both scenarios.

ComputerNinja
Aug 8, 2003
What?
Pork Pro

Kly posted:

Call them, say you want to cancel, when you talk to the cancellation department say you tried calling earlier in the week but couldnt get through after being on hold for an hour. If they still refuse, request to speak with a supervisor and they will almost definitely do it for you.

Haha, thanks man, this worked! The retentions department lady was very clueless as to why I was cancelling. She didn't seem to grasp the concept of bandwidth caps, and that she couldn't refund any money. After I told her I called last week she said they could certainly refund a prorated amount if they verified that I called. I just panicked and told her I didn't actually enter any information when I called, I just used an auto dialer app on my phone and the wait was forever. It worked. I'll give it to them for not wanting to burn any bridges.

slush
Jun 23, 2006
Thank you for calling....
With the new Rogers price plans, it's actually cheaper to go with the Business tier internet then it is to go with consumer.

Examples:

Consumer Hybrid Fibre 10
10/1, 25GB Usage, $51.99/mo

Business Internet Basic
7/1, 300GB Usage, $51.99/mo

--

Consumer Hybrid Fibre 30
30/5, 70GB Usage, $62.99/mo
30/5, Unlimited Usage, $86.99/mo

Business Internet Standard
30/5, Unlimited Usage, $64.95/mo

--

Consumer Hybrid Fibre 60
60/10, 120GB Usage, $69.99/mo
60/10, Unlimited Usage, $94.99/mo

Business Internet Pro
60/10, Unlimited Usage, $84.95/mo

Just goes to show how much they are ripping off the every day consumer.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

slush posted:

With the new Rogers price plans, it's actually cheaper to go with the Business tier internet then it is to go with consumer.

Examples:

Consumer Hybrid Fibre 10

Jesus gently caress. I was getting more traffic back when I went to their EXTREME 6Mbps/1 plan years ago.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

slush posted:

Examples:

Consumer Hybrid Fibre 10

Business Internet Basic
7/1, 300GB Usage, $51.99/mo

--

Consumer Hybrid Fibre 30
30/5, 70GB Usage, $62.99/mo
30/5, Unlimited Usage, $86.99/mo

Business Internet Standard
30/5, Unlimited Usage, $64.95/mo

--

Consumer Hybrid Fibre 60
60/10, 120GB Usage, $69.99/mo
60/10, Unlimited Usage, $94.99/mo

Business Internet Pro
60/10, Unlimited Usage, $84.95/mo

25gb usage for $52/month loving :lol:

:smith:

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Sort of ISP related, sort of not, but I have a question to ask since most of you probably know more about this than I do.

I use unotelly for my US-DNS forwarding, pretty much just for Netflix. $50.35 US$ all in for 1 year is what they charge me.

http://www.unotelly.com

My membership is up this weekend and I was going to renew, but are there other services I should consider first?

John Capslocke
Jun 5, 2007

slidebite posted:

Sort of ISP related, sort of not, but I have a question to ask since most of you probably know more about this than I do.

I use unotelly for my US-DNS forwarding, pretty much just for Netflix. $50.35 US$ all in for 1 year is what they charge me.

http://www.unotelly.com

My membership is up this weekend and I was going to renew, but are there other services I should consider first?

If you only use the DNS service, I've recently switched to https://adfreetime.com/ . It's only $1.99/month, 10 Netflix regions (and blocks subtitles on regions that force them), and blocks some ads.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

slidebite posted:

25gb usage for $52/month loving :lol:

:smith:
It's unbelievable robbery

sick zip everywhere
Jul 21, 2010
I've been on Teksavvy's cable for a while, but about a month and a half ago the power went out in our neighbourhood and when it came back we couldn't get online. After a good 2 weeks they sent out a Shaw technician who found nothing wrong and offered us a Shaw modem and plan on the spot. Teksavvy says its a problem with the modem, tells me I have to buy a new one (old one is like 2 weeks out of warranty). I bought a new one, same problem. Teksavvy says that I have to switch to their DSL service, so I tweeted at them asking for some actual support. They sent out a Shaw technician again. Clear signal, he says he's able to get an IP from his hand held thing. By looking at the behaviour of the modem he suggests that there's a problem with Teksavvy's provisioning, as if they haven't properly configured my account with the identity of the modem or something. We phoned Teksavvy support on speakerphone. The Shaw tech explained the situation and the Teksavvy support guy was like "uh huh ok I'm opening a ticket right now, thanks for calling".

When I talked to Teksavvy again they said that the support call with Shaw got disconnected (straight up lie).

Teksavvy says I have to switch to DSL. Eventually I get them to agree to cover the cost of setup, trading my old cable modem for a DSL modem, a refund for the new modem they lazily told me to buy, and cover shipping. I'll still be paying more for the new service, though.

At this point it has now been over a month without internet, and I just got one of those mobile internet hubs as a courtesy (10GB cap, and a letter politely asking not to watch any video). The appointment with Telus to setup the DSL passes because "there was a mixup with our address". Interestingly, I was lucky to receive the package with the new DSL modem at all because the address on that package was also written illegibly. It was only luck that a mailman with experience in this neighbourhood was able to decipher it. This part combined with the outright lie about the support call with Shaw getting disconnected makes me wonder if they're trying to get rid of me or something -- but it's been almost 1.5 months without internet so I could just be cranky.

Basically Teksavvy spontaneously canceled my cable service and they're making me eat poo poo.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

37th Chamber posted:

If you only use the DNS service, I've recently switched to https://adfreetime.com/ . It's only $1.99/month, 10 Netflix regions (and blocks subtitles on regions that force them), and blocks some ads.

Thanks man, I'll check it out!

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer

sick zip everywhere posted:

Basically Teksavvy spontaneously canceled my cable service and they're making me eat poo poo.

You should try to complain on the Teksavvy DSL Reports forum. Their staff generally scour those forums and try to fix complaints.

kiwid
Sep 30, 2013

Migishu posted:

You should try to complain on the Teksavvy DSL Reports forum. Their staff generally scour those forums and try to fix complaints.

This is the only way I've ever gotten support from TekSavvy. Whenever I try to go through the phones, I end up having to do an hours worth of homework with the level 1 tech before they say "we're forwarding your problem on to level 2, someone will call you back" and then nothing ever happens or calls.

Sprawl
Nov 21, 2005

I'm a huge retarded sperglord who can't spell, but Starfleet Dental would still take me and I love them for it!

kiwid posted:

This is the only way I've ever gotten support from TekSavvy. Whenever I try to go through the phones, I end up having to do an hours worth of homework with the level 1 tech before they say "we're forwarding your problem on to level 2, someone will call you back" and then nothing ever happens or calls.

Last time i had a problem i ended up spending about 3 hours doing packet traces and poo poo having to forward it on via a cell phone tethered connection.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

37th Chamber posted:

Signed up with them. So far so good. Thanks for the heads-up and saving me $25 :)

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

37th Chamber posted:

Blah, paypal only again, why does everything I look at and like suddenly not be able to take a plain credit card?

My CC is blacklisted on Paypal due to a 1 dollar charge from like 2011. It's bullshit, I don't care if you like them. Shut up.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

That turned me off too, but to live with it I have a very basic no fee account set up at a credit union (only account I have at that institution) so I have a paypal tied bank acct. No way in hell well I allow paypal anywhere near my main day-day accounts.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

slidebite posted:

That turned me off too, but to live with it I have a very basic no fee account set up at a credit union (only account I have at that institution) so I have a paypal tied bank acct. No way in hell well I allow paypal anywhere near my main day-day accounts.

Offtopic but what credit union? I can't find any around here that have a no-fee account and I'm tired of giving banks $150+ a year for nothing.

slush
Jun 23, 2006
Thank you for calling....

The Gunslinger posted:

Offtopic but what credit union? I can't find any around here that have a no-fee account and I'm tired of giving banks $150+ a year for nothing.

PC Financial has no fee daily banking accounts and credit cards. You can access any of the PC Financial services via CIBC's machines at no cost.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

slush posted:

PC Financial has no fee daily banking accounts and credit cards. You can access any of the PC Financial services via CIBC's machines at no cost.

Tangerine (formerly ING) is the same as well and will be accessible through any Scotia machines in June. And for what it's worth, they have actual free email money transfers whereas I believe PC charges for them.

A c E
Jun 18, 2007

Is this weird? Is this too weird? Do you need to sit down?

slush posted:

Don't use PC.

I had a company trying to take money out of my account and PC wouldn't do anything to stop them. After the first attempt and the first NSF charge I called them to put a stop to it. PC told me they couldn't stop them and offered me no help at all. I was told the only thing I could do was pay them $25 to put a stop payment on each attempt but that was only if I had the $600 in my account available for the company to try to steal. I got two more NFS charges before I was able to transfer my banking elsewhere.

They may have no fees for daily use but they definitely make the money up elsewhere. $40 NFS charges and unwilling to do anything to help me.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I've never had a problem with PC:F and they've been incredibly on the ball with helping me so :shrug: Biggest issue I had with them is getting someone that I can understand on the phone.

My paypal tied acct is with Alberta Treasury Branch, not a credit union. Sorry. They do have a very basic no-fee savings acct which is what I use.

sick zip everywhere
Jul 21, 2010
I lost Teksavvy service a month and a half ago and they've just put me through a support loop and they've finally said that they can't do anything.

So I guess it's back to Shaw, which was originally so terrible that I switched to Teksavvy.

Hopefully, next time I have to switch to Teksavvy I'll be able to stay longer.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.

A c E posted:

Don't use PC.

I had a company trying to take money out of my account and PC wouldn't do anything to stop them. After the first attempt and the first NSF charge I called them to put a stop to it. PC told me they couldn't stop them and offered me no help at all. I was told the only thing I could do was pay them $25 to put a stop payment on each attempt but that was only if I had the $600 in my account available for the company to try to steal. I got two more NFS charges before I was able to transfer my banking elsewhere.

Did you fill out some kind of pre-auth agreement because nobody can just "try to take money out" without that.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Lobok posted:

Tangerine (formerly ING) is the same as well and will be accessible through any Scotia machines in June. And for what it's worth, they have actual free email money transfers whereas I believe PC charges for them.

I'm changing over from PC:F to Tangerine, and the email xfers are only free to other tangerine people. They're still cheaper than PC otherwise though, $1 vs $1.50.

7-11s recently all switched from CIBC to Scotia machines around here so that was a big push. Plus some of the incentives they offer to switch are nice and the web/mobile stuff is much better than PC's old crappy junk.

In Internet related chat, anyone trying the Google Play Music now that it is in Canada? I am on Rdio now but I am liking the google app so far, especially how it shows the upcoming songs in the shuffle play, Rdio used to have that then took it away for some reason. Plus you can get it for $7.99 a month vs 9.99 for Rdio.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

sick zip everywhere posted:

I lost Teksavvy service a month and a half ago and they've just put me through a support loop and they've finally said that they can't do anything.

So I guess it's back to Shaw, which was originally so terrible that I switched to Teksavvy.

Hopefully, next time I have to switch to Teksavvy I'll be able to stay longer.

What kind of problems were you having with your Shaw services? If you PM me your details, I can take a look at any issues that may still exist in your area, or at least do something about the problems you were having with your services before.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

priznat posted:

I'm changing over from PC:F to Tangerine, and the email xfers are only free to other tangerine people. They're still cheaper than PC otherwise though, $1 vs $1.50.

I don't know if that's a different policy for new customers but you should double check that. I send email transfers to people a few times a month and none of them are ever ING / Tangerine customers. Totally free. They say the difference is that the paid ones (you get a choice) are instant while the free ones have a delay of a couple business days but it seems more like they mean the free one could take a couple days as part of some prioritizing they do because I rarely if ever experience that delay. My wife gets them as soon as I send them.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Oh that's very cool. I had thought the Tangerine email xfers were for just between clients of the bank. Nice!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

To clarify, since I got home and actually asked her, she gets the email right away but she says the transfer itself isn't always instant. So there is an incentive to pay if your recipient needs it right away.