Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

"To drill down further, here’s a map of the most distinctly popular Best Picture winner in each state. This was calculated by looking at the Oscar favorite that’s the most popular in each state as compared with its level of popularity across the entire country." Source

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
I had no idea Mormons were such Lord of the Rings fans.

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

Yet another instance of heh-thesouth.jpg as well.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

"To drill down further, here’s a map of the most distinctly popular Best Picture winner in each state. This was calculated by looking at the Oscar favorite that’s the most popular in each state as compared with its level of popularity across the entire country." Source

Washington knows what's up.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Lycus posted:

I had no idea Mormons were such Lord of the Rings fans.

They're heavily into fantasy.

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.

Phlegmish posted:

This map makes no sense at all unless I'm misreading it, the non-red area in the middle contains Brussels, Antwerp, Ghent and Leuven (the so-called Flemish Diamond), has like five million people and is generally the most densely populated part of Belgium. I'm not sure what variables they could possibly be using to obtain that pattern.

It makes me rather wary of this project's methodology.

Their analysis is based on how lit the area is at night. Maybe it got confused by our extensive street lighting? :v:

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Chicago? That movie is probably the most lightweight film to have won best picture.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Hogge Wild posted:

They're heavily into fantasy.

Nice! :thurman:

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

the jizz taxi posted:

Yet another instance of heh-thesouth.jpg as well.

At least 12 Years a Slave is a good film.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

computer parts posted:

At least 12 Years a Slave is a good film.

Too bad most of the South roots for the wrong guy. And please dissolve all states that are into Crash.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
I don't see the problem with that! 12 Years A Slave is a good dramatic film about slavery; it makes sense that people living in the area where the film is set, and where slavery had a huge historical and personal impact, would be interested in seeing a movie about slavery, because it ties directly in with their local and family history.

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

mcustic posted:

Too bad most of the South roots for the wrong guy. And please dissolve all states that are into Crash.

Two of the states that like "Crash" are the most progressive in the US.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

TheImmigrant posted:

TheImmigrant posted:

Minnesota and Wisconsin? I had no idea. But Crash is still a bad movie.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Insufficient metal is obviously the main cause of poverty.

made of bees
May 21, 2013
What's up with Bhutan? It's usually Western Sahara that's gray on maps like this.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Washington knows what's up!

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

made of bees posted:

What's up with Bhutan? It's usually Western Sahara that's gray on maps like this.

Might've been that the CIA Factbook didn't want to provide population guesstimates for Bhutan at some point in time.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

mcustic posted:

Uh, racists probably avoided the film because they prefer to think of slavery as nice and paternalistic, it did well in the South because that's where most black people live.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

mobby_6kl posted:

Insufficient metal is obviously the main cause of poverty.

Metal is the price paid for being wealthy.

Darth Various
Oct 23, 2010

DrSunshine posted:

I don't see the problem with that! 12 Years A Slave is a good dramatic film about slavery; it makes sense that people living in the area where the film is set, and where slavery had a huge historical and personal impact, would be interested in seeing a movie about slavery, because it ties directly in with their local and family history.

There's a joke to make about Django Unchained here, but I can't quite nail it. (Turns out it didn't get an Oscar for Best Motion Picture anyway.)

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

mcustic posted:

I would guess that no one is into Crash just there's a small comparative disparity in Minnesota and Wisconsin for whatever reason.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
I wouldn't call Wisconsin progressive by any stretch of the imagination.

3peat
May 6, 2010

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
So I guess Serbia supports Irish unification. :laugh:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

steinrokkan posted:

I'd rather be poor than have to deal with all the metal.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

I wouldn't call Wisconsin progressive by any stretch of the imagination.

Well besides the fact that it founded the progressive movement. Given it recently went Tea Party crazy it's pretty much the only state that actually put up a fight.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Jerry Cotton posted:

I'd rather be poor than have to deal with all the metal.

Are you more of a Matti and Teppo man?

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

mcustic posted:

Minnesota and Wisconsin? I had no idea. But Crash is still a bad movie.

I really do not now where the love of Crash is coming in my state. I know no one who likes that mediocre movie about racism being bad.

steinrokkan posted:

I believe you mean the main perk.

Dusseldorf posted:

Well besides the fact that it founded the progressive movement. Given it recently went Tea Party crazy it's pretty much the only state that actually put up a fight.

Hey Minnesota not only beat back the tea party (DFL Both houses and the Governors Mansion) and we got 9.50 Minimum wage.

Crowsbeak fucked around with this message at 00:43 on May 9, 2014

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
:ohdear: We're not allowed to leech images, right? or is it okay if it's Wikipedia?

As to the actual contents of the map, I want it to take into account the competition too, as well as the four way tie which surely should not count as a full win. Maybe one point per number of contestants in the year the country won, and a quarter of that to each of the four way tie "winners". Eurovision is serious business.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Lol, what kind of crap is that? West Germany's win counts for Germany as a whole! We have won 2 times!!

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

A Buttery Pastry posted:

:ohdear: We're not allowed to leech images, right? or is it okay if it's Wikipedia?

As to the actual contents of the map, I want it to take into account the competition too, as well as the four way tie which surely should not count as a full win. Maybe one point per number of contestants in the year the country won, and a quarter of that to each of the four way tie "winners". Eurovision is serious business.

Yeah its Wikipedia. Also I really am surprised that none of the former Warsaw Pact has won ever.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

A Buttery Pastry posted:

I'd like to know the answer too.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Lonely people.png

another:

computer parts fucked around with this message at 19:23 on May 8, 2014

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

computer parts posted:

Lonely people.png

another:

Paints a pretty grim picture of New Hampshire.

oldswitcheroo
Apr 27, 2008

The bombers opened their bomb bay doors, exerted a miraculous magnetism which shrunk the fires, gathered them into cylindrical steel containers, and lifted the containers into the bellies of the planes.

computer parts posted:

Lonely people.png

another:

Mississippi/Louisiana, home of the sexy tweet :heysexy:

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Crowsbeak posted:

Chicago? That movie is probably the most lightweight film to have won best picture.

Let me guess, you're from one of the states that likes The Departed.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Been browsing Strange Maps, a few assorted interesting ones:

An East German map of the Berlin subway system, in which West Berlin is reduced to a tiny, featureless void:

The Daily Mail invents the Australian state of Capricornia:

CNN isn't much better at Australian geography:

And on the subject of Australia, a 1920s map of "habitability" (where white people like to live):

Argentina's claiming all sorts of stuff:

Lord Hydronium fucked around with this message at 22:01 on May 8, 2014

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Hogge Wild posted:

Are you more of a Matti and Teppo man?

Naturally. Is there a map of Matti & Teppo vs Hevisaurus?

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx
That entire map is hilarious, and as an American I find Britain's "Posh Americans" label far funnier than I should.

Hogge Wild posted:

I'd like to know the answer too.
Thirded, I'd love to know if I can post a couple maps straight from Wikipedia without re-hosting them on Imgur first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Don't quote me but I'm pretty sure that while ago the policy became "hotlinking sites that are constantly getting huge traffic is accepted".