Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Insensitive
Aug 7, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

TychoCelchuuu posted:

I played through it with your specs except I have an i3 and things worked fine. Do you have the latest drivers?

Updated the video card drivers and checked windows update, apparently there is an update for Visual C++ 2005, so I installed that as well. So far I haven't crashed in my last sitting. Hope this fixes it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Can't find any good way to yell questions at Travis. Anyone know anything? I'm not gonna try to add him on LinkedIn just to fanboy.

Lewd Mangabey
Jun 2, 2011
"What sort of ape?" asked Stephen.
"A damned ill-conditioned sort of an ape. It had a can of ale at every pot-house on the road, and is reeling drunk. It has been offering itself to Babbington."
I tried to play through this a long time ago on PC with keyboard/mouse, and was driven slowly nuts by the poor control scheme for the hacking games and weird menu setup. That, along with the Russian embassy bug, caused me to abandon that playthrough.

Now I have a gamepad on my PC. I am generally not an FPS player, and thus don't have strong opinions on gamepad vs KBM for those games. Does the game work well on PC with a gamepad? I'd like to feel like I'm not fighting the control scheme this time through.

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.

Lewd Mangabey posted:

I tried to play through this a long time ago on PC with keyboard/mouse, and was driven slowly nuts by the poor control scheme for the hacking games and weird menu setup. That, along with the Russian embassy bug, caused me to abandon that playthrough.

Now I have a gamepad on my PC. I am generally not an FPS player, and thus don't have strong opinions on gamepad vs KBM for those games. Does the game work well on PC with a gamepad? I'd like to feel like I'm not fighting the control scheme this time through.

Works perfectly with an X360 controller, I daresay the minigames are even fun with it, just make sure it's connected before you start the game.

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

ĄTerrible es el Guerrero de Tortuga!

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Can't find any good way to yell questions at Travis. Anyone know anything? I'm not gonna try to add him on LinkedIn just to fanboy.

Okay, seriously. My name is Travis, and this thread keeps loving me up everytime I leave it open and glance over at it now.

content: I loving love this game, and I love this thread. It just won't go away. I like to think that when this thread gets bumped back up, somebody looks at it and decides that all this talk makes it look worth a try.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."
Just finished this game yesterday. It's the game that keeps on giving. :swoon:
SIE scares the hell out of me with all her :heysexy:
I'm a little annoyed that they didn't really do anything with "Sis" story. It seemed like it was going to go somewhere and then *poof*.
Also, where the hell did Sis' gun go? The one that she throws at you? That would've been an cool upgrade.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

RadicalR posted:

I'm a little annoyed that they didn't really do anything with "Sis" story. It seemed like it was going to go somewhere and then *poof*.
Yeah, it's a shame, but apparently what we got of it was already more than was originally intended.

PTizzle
Oct 1, 2008
I grabbed my third copy of Alpha Protocol the other day because I prefer to play my PS3 nowadays and didn't have it on that. Different mini-games being difficult threw me off at first (the lockpicking is still pretty annoying).

Anyways, I couldn't remember how you make a decent amount of money. Is it basically the choice between having excess cash or having all the intel, or are there some good cash hauls somewhere? I know you can send the Halbech data around but apart from that?

Is the equipment even worthwhile for the money? I usually stick to cheap weapons and tier 1 armour and do fine, but I'm going to try an SMG playthrough next and I'd wager I might need to invest.

One last thing, Madison is Parker's daughter, correct? How do I initiate that sequence towards the end? And I've never fought anyone but Leland as the final boss; is that dependent on him disliking you or something else?.

I felt like Sis was a little wasted too, but the early conversations with Albatross (about the locket and such) are very interesting. There's a few different things the game seems to be implying from that relationship.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
end boss spoilers: If Leland likes you he'll make a job offer, and if you accept there'll be a different end boss. The end boss is also different due to other factors I'm not sure of, but I think if you tell Shaheed you're cool with acting against the US government that should get you the non-Leland end boss even without taking the job offer. I prefer getting the other end boss because you get closure with Leland no matter what.

I'm not sure about how to trigger the other stuff with Madison, but collecting all her dossier info and (I think?) talking to her and avoiding the romance scene with a high reputation will get her to talk about her father.

Lynx
Nov 4, 2009
End boss: You fight Westridge if you take Leland's deal, agree to betray the US when you meet Shaheed before the final mission, or kill Americans (the CIA agents in Rome, the NSA gelato guy, and I think the Marines in the embassy also count).

Madison: You have to get her dossier and get her to tell you. IIRC you don't have to romance her, you can get her to tell you either way. Just use the 'Dossier' option when it comes up (after you either romance her or turn her down). Then you can tell Parker about it during the last mission (I'm not actually sure how that bit plays out if you save Madison).

Tendronai
May 7, 2008

My worst nightmare. It's a dream I have. I'm in a square cell, glass walls, just me and a little castle.

Lynx posted:

Madison: You have to get her dossier and get her to tell you. IIRC you don't have to romance her, you can get her to tell you either way. Just use the 'Dossier' option when it comes up (after you either romance her or turn her down). Then you can tell Parker about it during the last mission (I'm not actually sure how that bit plays out if you save Madison).

Just to follow up on this: Parker will only give you the Madison prompt if she doesn't live through Rome. He doesn't have any reason to go crazy vengeful dad if she's alive, after all.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Tendronai posted:

Just to follow up on this: Parker will only give you the Madison prompt if she doesn't live through Rome. He doesn't have any reason to go crazy vengeful dad if she's alive, after all.

Yeah he will; just the fact that Marburg endangers Madison is enough to set him off.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

It's a pity you don't have the ability to rub it in Parker's face even more when you do that. To point out that all those "acceptable" losses suddenly look a lot less acceptable when one of them's a relative and not a number in a book of statistics. Y'know, just to stick the verbal knife in there and twist it, the same way you could do to Marburg.

What we got was pretty good, though. Brilliant, even, if you consider: The final encounters with Alpha Protocol are all revisits upon their theme: you can rescue Mina from her own obstacle course, you have to use grenades and/or gadetry to defeat Sean Darcy, and taking out Parker--or flipping him--requires you to have done your homework. In other words, out-researching the research guy!

Tendronai
May 7, 2008

My worst nightmare. It's a dream I have. I'm in a square cell, glass walls, just me and a little castle.

Keeshhound posted:

Yeah he will; just the fact that Marburg endangers Madison is enough to set him off.

I could have sworn that didn't come up for me when I tried it. Thanks a lot now I have to play this game again :mad:.

PTizzle
Oct 1, 2008
Any help on making money or is it as simple as finding bonuses, not buying as much intel, emailing the data to Halbech and saving?

general chaos
May 20, 2001
Killing certain hub bosses (rather than sparing them) will net you golden weapons you can sell for good money. Remember that you can jump back and forth between hubs after Saudi to complete easy missions. Talking missions net you funding just as fast as action missions. Edit: No they don't.

Question about bosses and general scaling: Is difficulty scaled based on level or the order in which you complete the final missions or what? I'm curious how scaling is accomplished given that you can jump between hubs with impunity.

general chaos fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Jan 21, 2014

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

general chaos posted:

Killing certain hub bosses (rather than sparing them) will net you golden weapons you can sell for good money. Remember that you can jump back and forth between hubs after Saudi. Talking missions net you funding just as fast as action missions.

Question about bosses and general scaling: Is difficulty scaled based on level or the order in which you complete the final missions or what? I'm curious how scaling is accomplished given that you can jump between hubs with impunity.

Scaling is based on number of skill points spent, I seem to recall. So a veteran does start out with a considerably scaled up game compared to a recruit, unless they don't buy skills.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Difficulty scaling is based on the total number of AP you have spent.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

PTizzle posted:

Any help on making money or is it as simple as finding bonuses, not buying as much intel, emailing the data to Halbech and saving?

Aside from selling useless equipment and finding money/intel during missions, there is one particular decision which gives you a lot of cash.

Spoilers for the end of Moscow: Letting Brayko live will net you $75'000.

Alpha Protocol is a bit more stingy with money than most RPGs, so you'll never be able to buy out the store. I'd recommend buying armour and intel over weapons, since their in-game effect is usually more profound. Improving your weapon doesn't do as much as improving your weapon skill.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
This is the only RPG I can remember playing where money didn't stop being an issue halfway through. Unless I'm playing to maximise profits (siding with Brayko and selling info to Halbech) I pretty much always have to sell off ammo or gadgets just to get me that little bit extra so I can afford the best armour, even at endgame. Also one time I hardly bought anything and ended up with over a million dollars; I decided that Mike would use that money to retire.

hectorgrey
Oct 14, 2011
I actually like that - if money ever stops being an issue just through normal play, then what's the point of including it? I mean, it's not like not having the best weapons and armour in the game will actually make the game significantly harder, so...

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

There is no 'right' way to play this game, but here are the wrong ones.

Not being bros with Heck.
Not being bros with Mr. Turn Up The Radio. gold medal in dying

general chaos
May 20, 2001

hectorgrey posted:

I actually like that - if money ever stops being an issue just through normal play, then what's the point of including it? I mean, it's not like not having the best weapons and armour in the game will actually make the game significantly harder, so...

It's worse if you pre-ordered on consoles. You could gain access to the Rittergruppen Rapier that's twice the price of the next comparable pistol. In my first playthrough, I thought I just HAD to have it. Ended up buying almost no gadgets and not being able to afford high-tier armor.

Honestly, the differences are a point or two in the various stats and I can barely feel a change between them all. I still need to go through a hard fists of fury run just to see if it's doable.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Oh it's doable. Best decision I ever made (about how to assign stat points in Alpha Protocol).

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
If you haven't played Alpha Protocol as Karate Action Thornton you haven't lived.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Invisible Ghost Karate Action Thorton is pretty great too. Run up to people in broad daylight, punch them in the throat, be a secret agent.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Except against Omen Deng. gently caress you, Omen Deng.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Two Finger posted:

Except against Omen Deng. gently caress you, Omen Deng.

That's when you resort to mines.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Light Along the Inverse Curve.

Aleph Null posted:

That's when you resort to mines.

I refer to it as Home Alone Thorton.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Alpha Protocol is 75 percent off on Steam this week, so this is mostly just a bump in case anyone buys it. The OP is a great resource.

I'm going to be starting a Field Agent Cyril Figgis run soon. I'm thinking mostly professional responses, try to bang anything that moves, on account of the sex addiction, and assault rifles/no stealth, for maximum "SURPRESSING FIIIIIRE!!!" moments. Anything else I should incorporate?

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

WE HAVE TO CONTROL OUR ENVIRONMENT
IF YOU SEE ME POSTING OUTSIDE OF THE AUSPOL THREAD PLEASE TELL ME THAT I'M MISSED AND TO START POSTING AGAIN
http://ludo.mwclarkson.com/tag/alpha-protocol/

There's a series of 'letters' analyzing Alpha Protocol.

Scuzzywuffit
Feb 5, 2012

So Alpha Protocol. I've beaten it twice now, and I feel like I still don't quite get what was going on. But not in the good "There's so much more to see!!" Way as much as the "You tried to lay this out for me and I couldn't figure out what you meant" way.

Spoilers for basically the whole plot follow.

Who launched the missiles at me? They made it seem like both Halbech and Alpha Protocol were involved. If so, what's the big reveal about Mina? I guess she burned me somehow, which put me at odds with a Alpha Protocol, but she did it after they shot a bunch of missiles at me so I'm not sure what the point of that was.

If Alpha Protocol was not involved and it was just Halbech, why am I fighting Alpha Protocol? I'm yelling at Westridge a lot at the end about how he thought he could use me as a tool or something, but I did pretty much exactly what I signed on to do. If Halbech was selling the missiles to Al-Samad, that's certainly a Bad Thing, but I still just executed a mission to remove weapons from a bunch of terrorists who shot down a plane, so I don't know why I'm mad at Westridge about it.

If the missiles were sent because Mina burned me, and I am aware of this, why am I still yelling at Westridge? Shouldn't we both just be mad at Mina at that point?

This game is pretty drat cool (hence my immediate second playthrough) and awesomely responsive, but I feel like when it comes to the broad plot, I am mad at a lot of people and I'm not sure why.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Scuzzywuffit posted:

So Alpha Protocol. I've beaten it twice now, and I feel like I still don't quite get what was going on. But not in the good "There's so much more to see!!" Way as much as the "You tried to lay this out for me and I couldn't figure out what you meant" way.

Spoilers for basically the whole plot follow.

That's kind of the point, I think. I did 3 playthroughs a few years back, and a lot of what you're wondering about is revealed with more playthroughs, forging different alliances and trying different tactics.

It isn't so much a matter of "more to see" as it is "who was lying to me the whole time", "who was conspiring with whom", and "what hidden motivations did I miss".

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
I played the game three times then started reading spoilers. I started learning a ton of stuff. Playing it twice is nowhere near enough to understand everything.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Scuzzywuffit posted:

Who launched the missiles at me? They made it seem like both Halbech and Alpha Protocol were involved.
AP is practically a subsidiary of the other. As one of them says later "who do you think built this facility?"

quote:

If so, what's the big reveal about Mina? I guess she burned me somehow, which put me at odds with a Alpha Protocol, but she did it after they shot a bunch of missiles at me so I'm not sure what the point of that was.

If you don't get burned, you'd come back to the Graybox thinking Saudi missiles tried to wipe you out. Then you end up with a hole in the head. Since the other character represents a separate agency (there's one that's made explicit and my pet theory is that's a cover for G-22), that person has a vested interest in keeping you alive and useful.

quote:

why am I fighting Alpha Protocol?

It's the tool by which Halbech can shape global events into lots of profitable ones.

quote:

If the missiles were sent because Mina burned me, and I am aware of this, why am I still yelling at Westridge? Shouldn't we both just be mad at Mina at that point?

If you find that out, you CAN be mad at her. But again, if not for her, if you'd made it home you'd end up with a bullet in the head.

Scuzzywuffit
Feb 5, 2012

titties posted:

That's kind of the point, I think. I did 3 playthroughs a few years back, and a lot of what you're wondering about is revealed with more playthroughs, forging different alliances and trying different tactics.

It isn't so much a matter of "more to see" as it is "who was lying to me the whole time", "who was conspiring with whom", and "what hidden motivations did I miss".

I guess my main question is less "Who fired the missiles?" or "Who burned me?" and more "Why are we fighting and what am I so angry about?" Like, I'm all for having secrets and conspiracies that I don't know about, but the way Thorton reacts tells me I'm supposed to understand enough to be indignant, and I'm missing something. He's angry because Westridge "used" him somehow, but I'm not really sure what he's talking about.

Editing time:

TychoCelchuuu posted:

I played the game three times then started reading spoilers. I started learning a ton of stuff. Playing it twice is nowhere near enough to understand everything.

I have also read a bunch of spoilers to try and figure some of this out, which is why I feel like there's a comprehension issue on my end.

Nehru the Damaja posted:

AP is practically a subsidiary of the other. As one of them says later "who do you think built this facility?"

I guess that partially makes sense, but the dossier is telling me that Leland didn't even know about the existence of Alpha Protocol until Marburg brought it to his attention.

Nehru the Damaja posted:

If you don't get burned, you'd come back to the Graybox thinking Saudi missiles tried to wipe you out. Then you end up with a hole in the head. Since the other character represents a separate agency (there's one that's made explicit and my pet theory is that's a cover for G-22), that person has a vested interest in keeping you alive and useful.

If you find that out, you CAN be mad at her. But again, if not for her, if you'd made it home you'd end up with a bullet in the head.

I did find this out in both playthroughs. Given the fact that she tells me who ostensibly launched the missiles at me, I'm just not sure why I would be, or what the point of the secrecy was given that the faction in question was clearly trying to murder me.

Nehru the Damaja posted:

It's the tool by which Halbech can shape global events into lots of profitable ones.
It seems like all of the events that occurred after Saudi Arabia were directly tied to Halbech, but not the other group. They don't seem to be getting their money's worth, given that everything involved was done by independent contractors.

Scuzzywuffit fucked around with this message at 06:56 on May 8, 2014

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
Because al samad isn't the only group complicit in the deaths on the airliner, and you're acting to advance that other group's interest, as opposed to advancing America's interests.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Scuzzywuffit posted:

I guess my main question is less "Who fired the missiles?" or "Who burned me?" and more "Why are we fighting and what am I so angry about?" Like, I'm all for having secrets and conspiracies that I don't know about, but the way Thorton reacts tells me I'm supposed to understand enough to be indignant, and I'm missing something. He's angry because Westridge "used" him somehow, but I'm not really sure what he's talking about.

It's been a long time since I played, but if I remember it right:

You were sent to Saudi to arrest the arms dealer guy and stop the flow of weapons in order to help stabilize the region or something. Instead, once you got there they intended to shoot a shitload of missiles at everything, blame you, and use it to kickstart a war so that they could profit from the war economy or build Metal Gear or something.

Thorton was sent in under false pretenses, and he / you are angry because they tried to hang war crimes on you and murder you the second you left the Greybox.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Basically:
Leland learned about Alpha Protocol from Marburg and started using it to raise global tensions so his arms company could profit from the resulting cold war. The plans you try to stop during the game were dreamed up by Parker, and of course all of Alpha Protocol handled the Saudi mission. Who exactly fired the missiles is never stated, but the point is that Alpha Protocol did it for Leland, to ensure that all trace of Halbech selling missiles to Shaheed was erased, since they couldn't guarantee that Mike and Shaheed didn't talk. For that same reason, if Mike returned to Alpha Protocol he'd just be killed because he's a loose end. To keep him alive and able to act against Halbech's plans, Mina burned him.
Based on how it's presented I think you were supposed to believe someone at Alpha Protocol was a mole for most of the game, then at the end you'd be hit with the revelation that Alpha Protocol was entirely corrupted from the top down ("who wasn't the mole?")
So, Mike is mad at Westridge because Westridge is Alpha Protocol's boss, and he sent Mike to Saudi Arabia to clean up Halbech's mess, fully planning for Mike to die in the process. That's how Mike was used.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scuzzywuffit
Feb 5, 2012

2house2fly posted:

Basically:
Leland learned about Alpha Protocol from Marburg and started using it to raise global tensions so his arms company could profit from the resulting cold war. The plans you try to stop during the game were dreamed up by Parker, and of course all of Alpha Protocol handled the Saudi mission. Who exactly fired the missiles is never stated, but the point is that Alpha Protocol did it for Leland, to ensure that all trace of Halbech selling missiles to Shaheed was erased, since they couldn't guarantee that Mike and Shaheed didn't talk. For that same reason, if Mike returned to Alpha Protocol he'd just be killed because he's a loose end. To keep him alive and able to act against Halbech's plans, Mina burned him.
Based on how it's presented I think you were supposed to believe someone at Alpha Protocol was a mole for most of the game, then at the end you'd be hit with the revelation that Alpha Protocol was entirely corrupted from the top down ("who wasn't the mole?")
So, Mike is mad at Westridge because Westridge is Alpha Protocol's boss, and he sent Mike to Saudi Arabia to clean up Halbech's mess, fully planning for Mike to die in the process. That's how Mike was used.

All right! I'm not sure why Mina thought I would be mad about that, given the missiley stuff that happened in Saudi, but that makes a lot of sense.

Thanks, everybody. I'm not sure why this was so difficult for me to put together :downs:

• Locked thread