Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a slime
Apr 11, 2005

down with slavery posted:

How could you tell whether or not they are aiming at an actual target or just shooting into nothing. Is there a "player was aiming at a person, shot, but didn't hit them" event or something?

Basically every time you fire a shot, the plugin would integrate the function I plotted above over all player hitboxes. So it would take every shot fired into account.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*

augustob posted:

Millions of goons suddenly silenced :rip:

Play only on 128 tick servers.

a slime
Apr 11, 2005

kcer posted:

Where the plugin is able to track what you're actually aiming at, or it records each shot fired, regardless of what it's pointed at, and under what inaccuracy it was fired?

So in practise it's tracking how close to ideal accuracy you are firing your shots?

Yeah this is the idea, but since I have derived the probability distribution by inaccuracy and spread, I can convert that directly into the actual chance that a shot you fired would have been a hit

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

a slime posted:

Yeah this is the idea, but since I have derived the probability distribution by inaccuracy and spread, I can convert that directly into the actual chance that a shot you fired would have been a hit

So after spraying a full mag at hitting nothing but air a post mortem pop-up could tell you 'statistically that dude should have been dead three times over but welp :csgo: '

edit: or 'lol yeah you suck at this stop crouch walking, idiot'

Plum Chaser
Jul 2, 2011

by Lowtax

fusili mcvey posted:

Play only on 128 tick goonman servers.

a slime
Apr 11, 2005

Necc0 posted:

So after spraying a full mag at hitting nothing but air a post mortem pop-up could tell you 'statistically that dude should have been dead three times over but welp :csgo: '

edit: or 'lol yeah you suck at this stop crouch walking, idiot'

Yeah this is kind of the next level poo poo I would do if I didn't have a full-time job. You could extend all of this into a comprehensive training plugin that basically watches you play and tells you what you're doing wrong. It would be sick to make it so you could sort of run SourceMod plugins on demo files, so you could plug this into some matchmaking demo and it could tell you like, okay you fired this shot and had basically no chance of hitting your target, because you were shooting out of sync with your stutter step, or you fired too quickly after landing from a jump, or you were crouch walking, or whatever. I'll never have time to do that, so my plan is basically to release a minimal real-world application of the reverse engineering and math I've done so that other people can extend it.

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

Couldn't you do that with showpos(or whatever command shows you speed)?

e: or that's what youre doing already I dunno I just know how to shoot mans poorly

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
Yeah you'd have to get into some really complicated statistical models to make that work. Don't know what your background is but in all likelihood you'd probably have to bring in an expert for that.

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

a slime posted:

Basically every time you fire a shot, the plugin would integrate the function I plotted above over all player hitboxes. So it would take every shot fired into account.

How processor-intensive will that be? Think it'll handle a couple of Negev's/P90's spraying?

a slime
Apr 11, 2005

mcvey posted:

Couldn't you do that with showpos(or whatever command shows you speed)?

Your inaccuracy isn't purely a function of your movement speed. It accumulates over time- contrary to popular belief, your inaccuracy doesn't immediately drop when you come to a complete stop. And anyways, it might be fine to shoot with high inaccuracy (jumping or running or whatever) if you're close enough to your target. You really need access to the game's internals to do this kind of analysis.

Necc0 posted:

Yeah you'd have to get into some really complicated statistical models to make that work. Don't know what your background is but in all likelihood you'd probably have to bring in an expert for that.

Nah, all of that stuff I've already done/am doing. It's just a matter of applying it in different ways that is eventually too time consuming for me.

edit:

RadioPassive posted:

How processor-intensive will that be? Think it'll handle a couple of Negev's/P90's spraying?

This shouldn't be an issue if I can come up with an analytic solution to the probability distribution I plotted before (right now I'm estimating it empirically which takes a lot of time). It seems like it should be tractable so I expect I'll find a solution eventually.

a slime fucked around with this message at 16:22 on May 8, 2014

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

RadioPassive posted:

The one thing computers are really REALLY good at is crunching numbers. Depending on how complex your models are the negev *might* give it trouble but I doubt it. Assuming you wanted to process these in real time.

kcer
May 28, 2004

Today is good weather
for an airstrike.
Can you make a sourcemod plugin that bans anyone who drops the bomb in spawn?

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
God drat a tool that you could run on a demo that would show where you SHOULD have been aiming with a corresponding chance of hitting for every shot would be amazing, especially for new players. You could very quickly see the difference between run-and-gun spraying and stationary spraying, how even IF you were aiming where you should have been in both scenarios your odds are much better when stationary.

Necc0 fucked around with this message at 16:25 on May 8, 2014

Plum Chaser
Jul 2, 2011

by Lowtax

kcer posted:

having the bomb puts too much pressure on me and uh triggers my uh panic attacks you see.

a slime
Apr 11, 2005

kcer posted:

For the small price of only 200 dollars in skins

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

kcer posted:

No don't ban me!

...is uh what someone who does that would say. :ninja:

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Only bitches and scrubs drop the bomb in spawn before the round starts.

a slime
Apr 11, 2005

You could write a plugin to prevent people from dropping the bomb at all for the first 20 seconds of the round in like twenty lines of SourcePawn

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

a slime posted:

a slime posted:

This alone would be really, really cool.

I'm not sure you can meaningfully turn that into a "your chance to kill Hitlerballz was N%" estimation, though, because there's many ways you could account for other people's shots and the user could easily misunderstand.

Example: you fire four P90 bullets at Hitlerballz, for simplicity each with a 25% chance to hit for 25 damage (no headshots, again for simplicity). Your program says that your chance to kill him was 0.39%. But now let's say that between your third and fourth bullet, your teammate StalinDidNothingWrong shoots Hitlerballz with a Nova for 75 damage. Does your program still say 0.39%, or does it say 68% (i.e. if you had landed any of your shots)?

It would be very, very easy for the user to think the program was saying one thing when it was saying another. Best to stick with something more direct, like an UI overlay displaying "Your Most Recent Shot's Chance to Hit = %", and you'd be supposed to watch it in slow-mo for automatic weapons.

teagone posted:

Only bitches and scrubs drop the bomb in spawn before the round starts.

Bitches and scrubs and AWP fans. Wait, redundant.

NihilCredo fucked around with this message at 16:46 on May 8, 2014

a slime
Apr 11, 2005

NihilCredo posted:

This alone would be really, really cool.

I'm not sure you can meaningfully turn that into a "your chance to kill Hitlerballz was N%" estimation, though, because there's many ways you could account for other people's shots and the user could easily misunderstand.

Example: you fire four P90 bullets at Hitlerballz, for simplicity each with a 25% chance to hit for 25 damage (no headshots, again for simplicity). Your program says that your chance to kill him was 0.39%. But now let's say that between your third and fourth bullet, your teammate StalinDidNothingWrong shoots Hitlerballz with a Nova for 75 damage. Does your program still say 0.39%, or does it say 68% (i.e. if you had landed any of your shots)? It would be very, very easy for the user to think the program was saying one thing when it was saying another.

Yeah, and the search space really explodes if you consider that every other player's shots are random as well, and you could try to find the best combination of those so that your team got as many kills as possible, or whatever, but like I said I'll do something as simple as possible at least to start.

kcer
May 28, 2004

Today is good weather
for an airstrike.
Are bombs totally immune to collisions, or is it only when they're on the ground? I'd be very okay with dropping the bomb in spawn if it meant you could awp it midair directly into a bombsite.

IronDoge
Nov 6, 2008

kcer posted:

Are bombs totally immune to collisions, or is it only when they're on the ground? I'd be very okay with dropping the bomb in spawn if it meant you could awp it midair directly into a bombsite.

Time for some Goonman Mythbusters

kcer
May 28, 2004

Today is good weather
for an airstrike.

Ironsights posted:

Time for some Goonman Mythbusters

Immune :( Just tested it. I guess we probs would have seen it happen already at this point

henne
May 9, 2009

by exmarx
Can you only bet 4 items per match on csgolounge?

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
I remember there used to be a server plugin on Source that allowed you to press E to cause the bomb to jump forward, so if the bomb got stuck somewhere you could roll it out.

Of course, they forgot to make it Terrorist only, so it just led to CTs killing the bomb carrier and rolling the bomb into inaccessible spots.

Bombdroptalk: Don't leave it in spawn, just spend 20 passive-aggressive seconds throwing the bomb back to the person that dropped it and then lose the round.

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

NihilCredo posted:

Example: you fire four P90 bullets at Hitlerballz, for simplicity each with a 25% chance to hit for 25 damage (no headshots, again for simplicity). Your program says that your chance to kill him was 0.39%. But now let's say that between your third and fourth bullet, your teammate StalinDidNothingWrong shoots Hitlerballz with a Nova for 75 damage. Does your program still say 0.39%, or does it say 68% (i.e. if you had landed any of your shots)?

I'd start with reporting the %chance-for-N-hits per burst and/or the %chance-hit for each bullet.

Something like this would be neat:

code:

Spray Report - 10 Bullets Fired:

%Chance 1hit: 81.9
%Chance 2hit: 57.1
%Chance 3hit: 34.9
%Chance 4hit: 25.0
%Chance 5hit: 16.8

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
What's so wrong with dropping the bomb? I do it whenever I intend to rush first or hang around somewhere away from my team if I expect the CTs to push. I wasn't aware I was committing a faux pas.

Apogee15
Jun 16, 2013
Or do what most teams do, and decide which person will be the bomb carrier every round for that entire game.

Not that I ever do that. But it definitely seems like the easiest solution.

Coleman
May 5, 2011

This just in: Beverly Hills 90210, Cleveland Browns 3.

Apogee15 posted:

Or do what most teams do, and decide which person will be the bomb carrier every round for that entire game.

Not that I ever do that. But it definitely seems like the easiest solution.
No just throw it on the ground, kcer makes a big fuss, but it's what he prefers. He likes having to go back to spawn to get it, don't listen to his bitching, it's just for show.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

emanresu tnuocca posted:

What's so wrong with dropping the bomb? I do it whenever I intend to rush first or hang around somewhere away from my team if I expect the CTs to push. I wasn't aware I was committing a faux pas.

Try to throw it on another teammate, at least. If you leave it on the ground there's a chance no one else will notice it until you've taken a site and welp.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Necc0 posted:

Try to throw it on another teammate, at least. If you leave it on the ground there's a chance no one else will notice it until you've taken a site and welp.

I thought you guys were talking about dropping the bomb in general, as in not carrying the bomb if spawned with it. Of course I throw it at a teammate.

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

emanresu tnuocca posted:

I don't care if a player wants to abandon their bomb carrier duty, but there should be some team communication about the plan and why, even something simple like "I'm broke, I'm buying a shotgun to rush first, someone else want this bomb?"

If the only thing I hear is *buy sound* *buy sound* *bomb clunk* *buy sound* *round start*, I get real worried about how the rest of the round is gonna go.

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

Drop it in a place that gives you good options to recover it from. Drop it before you make a solo push or give it to the second last guy in line, don't show the bomb to the enemy too early as it tips them off. Basically don't run around the map with the bomb showing it off to every CT that you encounter, you gotta be responsible for it.

Outside long A, top mid, b tunns~. Lobby or outside. Alt or bottom mid. Those kinds of places. Always have options open.

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

mcvey posted:

Drop it before you make a solo push or give it to the second last guy in line,

I love being a CT and hearing a CLUNK right before the T's peek me. Dead giveaway that you're hiding the bomb around the corner.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
It'd be nice if you could put the bomb down gently in the same manner as picking up grenades/kits.

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

RadioPassive posted:

I love being a CT and hearing a CLUNK right before the T's peek me. Dead giveaway that you're hiding the bomb around the corner.

Yeah that's true, always gotta be weary of that. I hate when people do that in B tunns on dust2 after being sneaky the whole time leading up to it. :negative:

vvvv that's good because wtf plays demolition

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

When I play on lake demolition and I have the bomb, I will throw it up onto the roof of the T starting house.

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

Necc0 posted:

It'd be nice if you could put the bomb down gently in the same manner as picking up grenades/kits.

This, and in order to set it down gently you have to hold the button down and it looks like you're "planting" the bomb for a half second or a second.

SaberToothedPie
Dec 24, 2012

The #RXT REVOLUTION has two words for ya..
SCOOP IT!

:frolf:

he knows...
My strategy is to give the bomb to someone less suicidal than me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apogee15
Jun 16, 2013

SaberToothedPie posted:

My strategy is to give the bomb to someone less suicidal than me.

Yeah, I'm honestly fine with carrying the bomb. But so often I'm on a team which doesn't ever make a move. If I don't go peek long, no one will.

The worst is when you're playing with a group of friends, and you're the highest rank. At the start of every round, everyone just turns to look at you and follows you around. Getting a pick gets a lot harder when you have most of your team running around behind you making tons of noise and/or blocking your movements.

• Locked thread