Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

Nait Sirhc posted:

My e65 745i gives me a "Dynamic Drive inactive!" error anytime I really push it hard into corners and get body roll. Anyone know what that's about?

You (or your personal driver) has attempted to drive a 7 series in a manner other than softly whooshing over rolling hills from the country club to your summer house.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nait Sirhc
Sep 11, 2001
I found this video of what Dynamic Drive is, and holy poo poo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQiUpqlTTqk

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Keyser S0ze posted:

It's a great color even in the "commoner" B90 Sophisto Grau (Dark Graphite Metallic II) version. I would get it again. Yours almost has a Callisto Grey tinge to it, probably due to the surroundings.

Still not as cool as the old Stahlgrau (Panzer Grey) though.

:wotwot:

Okay, now I need to get painted or clear side markers.

Stahlgrau is one of the best colors. Might have been worth the $5k individual paint job.

When my car was getting ppf they had an OG 6er with 7k miles on it. I would have bought it if it weren't already sold.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
That's my Stahlgrau 2001 330Ci that I ordered in May 2000. It was only $450 or something back then not crazy $5k Individual shyte you'd have to pay to get it now. Color wise it's right between Space Grey and Sophisto Gray.........really dumb they still don't offer it.

Our USA orange side markers are dumb as poo poo and I tried the white ones first before the painted versions, but they didn't really look oem.

Beware that some insurance goons have pointed out that if you wreck your rig and injure other people and the report notes the required front reflector is missing and the vehicle is not 100% in compliance - there is a very small chance that some assclown could probably make you poor for the rest of your life. Prob worth it though for looks alone. :stonk:

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 06:31 on May 8, 2014

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Residency Evil posted:

I love these posts being so close to each other.

Nait Sirhc posted:

My e65 745i gives me a "Dynamic Drive inactive!" error anytime I really push it hard into corners and get body roll. Anyone know what that's about?

So April 29th to May 7th is 9 days. We almost made it double digits!

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
So I have some small paint chips on the trunk, anyone tried using those touchup kits or pens? Is it as easy as just filling in chips or will it look like crap?

I'm referring to anything on this list.
http://www.bavauto.com/se1.asp?dept_id=394

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
If I were touching up a BMW that I really Cared about, the only thing that I would do would be call the dealer, give the last 7 of your VIN and they will sell you paint by the ounce or quart.

I know that some places can load a pen or aerosol can with whatever paint you bring them, maybe the BMW dealer has them ready to go.

Call dealer first, imho.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
The bavauto item labeled "BMW touch up paint" is oem, and you order it by the paint code, which is located on the underside of the hood. Use a tooth pick to apply it, or a very, very tiny brush, not the brush that comes in the bottle. I have it for my car, and it's reasonably accurate, it depends a lot on sun fading.

The body shop that repaired my bumper also gave me a little bottle of what they used (mixed, maybe?), I haven't checked that one yet.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

Nait Sirhc posted:

I found this video of what Dynamic Drive is, and holy poo poo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQiUpqlTTqk

Clearly you need to get a programmer box that will allow you to slam the car at the push of a button.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
They've had that available for 8+ years. Despite all the acronyms.....It's really just a package of active electronic sway bars (active roll stabilization ARS) as well as the electronic shocks (dynamic dampers DDC). Makes sense for a big SUV. I think Mango has it in their new 550.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94rqc_9Rfrc&t=3s

Bonus for that sketchy Click and Clack lookin' mook hammering on the car behind it.

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 18:20 on May 8, 2014

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Residency Evil posted:

Eh, a quick search on bf.c says it's probably the CAS module going bad, only a grand or so to replace, NBD. :cool:

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Any reason to not get a set of OEM 18" M-Parallel staggered wheels with freshly polished lips and nearly new Goodyear F1s for $775 for my '03 530i?

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

The only reason not to is if you hate looking good.

Are they OEM from a 5-series or a 7-series? I think they might have different offsets, but other than that...

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Well, for starters, i'd hate you forever for getting the wheels i wanted for barely more than i paid for my blingy 19"s

Guinness posted:

Are they OEM from a 5-series or a 7-series? I think they might have different offsets, but other than that...

Yeah, the E39 is the goofy BMW.

Every other car is high offset, 72.5mm hub bore. The E39 is 20 offset, 74.1mm hub bore

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Guinness posted:

OEM from an E39, 8" front, 9" rear. Trying to do my due diligence before picking them up at 7:00 tonight...

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
E39 to E39.... yeah its fine. Get em!

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Keyser S0ze posted:

They've had that available for 8+ years. Despite all the acronyms.....It's really just a package of active electronic sway bars (active roll stabilization ARS) as well as the electronic shocks (dynamic dampers DDC). Makes sense for a big SUV. I think Mango has it in their new 550.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94rqc_9Rfrc&t=3s

Bonus for that sketchy Click and Clack lookin' mook hammering on the car behind it.

I have full dynamic handling on my new 550. Shocks each have three levels of damping and extension resistance (separate valves for compression and extension) and front and rear active anti roll bars. The roll bars are hydraulic (unlike the steering) and are run off a pump attached to the tranny somehow.

The E66 I had before I don't think had the full dynamic anti roll bars but some other way the sport packaged passively used pressure on one corner to stiffen up the diagonally opposite one.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

meatpimp posted:

OEM from an E39, 8" front, 9" rear. Trying to do my due diligence before picking them up at 7:00 tonight...

They were "craigslist perfect." Lips were not polished, they were painted with clearcoat scratches/gouges, one wheel had a chunk out of the sidewall and rim, listed as "BF Goodyear Forumula F1" tires, which was partially correct -- two of them were Goodyear F1s, the other two were Goodrich. :psyduck:

They were 6.5/10 and I left them with my original offer of $650... anything more than that, I'd pay the extra to have a perfect new set of reps.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

The BMW TIS says, "Thanks to the latest technological developments, is not required to carry out the replacement of the coolant [on an N52 Z4]." That's horseshit, right?

Planning to do a coolant flush this weekend before I go up to the track at the end of the month. It hasn't been done since sometime before I bought it in 2012, if ever. Found two guides, E90 N52 and Z4 coolant flush, which should give me enough info to figure out the procedure. The second one goes overboard doing two flushes, don't think I'll bother with that.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

ColdPie posted:

The BMW TIS says, "Thanks to the latest technological developments, is not required to carry out the replacement of the coolant [on an N52 Z4]." That's horseshit, right?

Planning to do a coolant flush this weekend before I go up to the track at the end of the month. It hasn't been done since sometime before I bought it in 2012, if ever. Found two guides, E90 N52 and Z4 coolant flush, which should give me enough info to figure out the procedure. The second one goes overboard doing two flushes, don't think I'll bother with that.

Yes it's horseshit, and no it won't have been done unless you do it. First thing I did on both E90s so far is brake fluid and coolant. If you do the CDV (on a manual) removal at the same time, you're already bleeding the brake fluid anyway!

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
Any M50NV e36 owners here? What do you get for MPG? A ridiculously low mileage '92 calypsorot coupe just popped up here, pretty much my dream colour for an e30/e36.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747
Since we all know lifetime fluids are a lie, has anyone come up with a service interval for the coolant in the E9x?

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

I'd just flush it the same as what BMW recommended for non-lifetime coolant cars, which is every two years regardless of mileage.

Nait Sirhc
Sep 11, 2001

Residency Evil posted:

It still runs and drives fine, and this message only pops up when hitting corners at high speeds. Apparently the fix to this issue is to top up the PS fluid. We'll see if that does the trick. :smugdog:

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

MrChips posted:

I'd just flush it the same as what BMW recommended for non-lifetime coolant cars, which is every two years regardless of mileage.

That's probably overkill - I do mine with every service II

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

Crustashio posted:

Any M50NV e36 owners here? What do you get for MPG? A ridiculously low mileage '92 calypsorot coupe just popped up here, pretty much my dream colour for an e30/e36.

My 92 calypsorot (important) sedan gets 17 mpg with the 3.91 diff and with the 3.15 diff it gets 18.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
Jesus Christ that is worse than my old e30 325ix.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Yeah it's horrid. I only get like 300 miles and some change out of a full $60 tank (premium since it's chipped with no knock sensor). I don't speed but I pretty much floor it everywhere so I think if you drove it like a responsible adult you could probably get 20-22. Also according to my OBC my average speed is 22mph so that is a big contributor as well.

SpaceRangerJoe
Dec 24, 2003

The little hand says it's time to rock and roll.

SuperDucky posted:

I stand corrected on the oil pump. Actually I'm corrected on it all, shricks are damned expensive so that with ARPs, and a silvertop DME...that's a lot of coin. The only thing I can think that the motor would need to be tip top would be chain guides. Anyone else see anything glaring, x5x bros? (Paging Rev.Moo and Viper3k)

Personally I'm kinda meh on the track car thing, I'd rather have an interior, but I'm weird. I will put my INTERNET OPINION(tm) in the "ok" box on this purchase if you think its solid otherwise and its what you want, no warranties express or implied. :getin:

Sorry to bring this back up, but small update. I told the guy no thanks, and he texted me back today saying he'd go $6500. Do you think that moves it into good deal territory, or still "meh" for something with no interior or cage?

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx

SpaceRangerJoe posted:

Sorry to bring this back up, but small update. I told the guy no thanks, and he texted me back today saying he'd go $6500. Do you think that moves it into good deal territory, or still "meh" for something with no interior or cage?

Again, if its what you want, its kinda a moot point. It looks like its been maintained well enough. If you want to drop the coin on it, well, it could be worse--you could be buying a 7 series.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
If you want a track car that is a good deal. Hell, it was still a good deal around 8k. S52 with shricks is a very nice motor.

revmoo posted:

Yeah it's horrid. I only get like 300 miles and some change out of a full $60 tank (premium since it's chipped with no knock sensor). I don't speed but I pretty much floor it everywhere so I think if you drove it like a responsible adult you could probably get 20-22. Also according to my OBC my average speed is 22mph so that is a big contributor as well.

That would make a difference. My average speed in my e46s was at least 45mph. My old e36 328 averaged 27mpg over the time I has it, but that was 90% highway. I could live with low to mid 20s until I get my hands on an m50tu or m52, I could probably swap one blindfolded at this point.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
I don't think you'd get mid 20s but I think 22 can be achieved. Fueleconomy.gov actually lists 16mpg for city so somehow I'm doing 1 better. It also lists 24 highway and 19 combined.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
My experience has been whatever the fuelly average is minus 1L/100KM (which would be about 24mpg for a 92) but the dataset for those motors is pretty limited. I always ran *gasp* 89 in my 328is. I'm finally at a place where I don't have to care as much about mpg but it is always interesting to know what I'm in for.

I just really want a calypsorot :v:

Crustashio fucked around with this message at 19:49 on May 9, 2014

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I raced and barely lost to a modified 335i. Some of you plebs are quick. I guess i can take solace in knowing i was more comfortable the whole time.

Crustashio posted:

My experience has been whatever the fuelly average is minus 1L/100KM (which would be about 24mpg for a 92) but the dataset for those motors is pretty limited. I always ran *gasp* 89 in my 328is. I'm finally at a place where I don't have to care as much about mpg but it is always interesting to know what I'm in for.

I just really want a calypsorot :v:

It varies wildly car to car. My 540 is rated at 19mpg highway, while i get about 28mpg highway, and that's at 80mph.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

What kind of mileage/year should I be expecting to get with $18-$22k on a 1-Series?

I've been searching through cars.com and autotrader.com and it looks like I can get something 2 years old with about 40,000 miles and some with even a warranty remaining.

Does that sound about right?

Viper_3000
Apr 26, 2005

I could give a shit about all that.

SpaceRangerJoe posted:

What do you want it for? If you want it for a track car sure, that's a good deal that leaves you some cash for a cage. If you want it for a streetable car, you're going to spend around $2500 for a complete interior, probably a little more for sport seats if you want them and a lot of time putting it in. It's a good deal either way, but it's going to be a LOT more work to find and put in an interior again, so much so that I might look elsewhere for something that already has an interior for probably a grand more if that's something you are looking for.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I'm In melbourne on business and I thought I'd check out the BMW dealership...

AUS$246k out the door for a new M5. (AUS$1 = US$0.93ish)

Hell, even a 135i is AUS$83k.

Man we have it easy in the states.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Jealous Cow posted:

I'm In melbourne on business and I thought I'd check out the BMW dealership...

AUS$246k out the door for a new M5. (AUS$1 = US$0.93ish)

Hell, even a 135i is AUS$83k.

Man we have it easy in the states.

On the flip side. It takes 6143 hours at minimum wage in the states to buy one, and 5187 hours at minimum wage in Australia to buy one. An hours wage buys about 7.5 liters of fuel in the states, or about 11 liters of fuel in Australia.

There are crazy luxury taxes on the higher end stuff and all local sales taxes are included in the aussie price as well. In general they're just a bunch of whiners who want to have their cake and eat it too.

gigButt
Oct 22, 2008

Tab8715 posted:

What kind of mileage/year should I be expecting to get with $18-$22k on a 1-Series?

I've been searching through cars.com and autotrader.com and it looks like I can get something 2 years old with about 40,000 miles and some with even a warranty remaining.

Does that sound about right?

Thats sounds right for a 128i. The 135i is going to command more like high $20k to low $30k.

I bought a 2009 135i msport for $19k with 57k miles in March.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007

Powershift posted:

On the flip side. It takes 6143 hours at minimum wage in the states to buy one, and 5187 hours at minimum wage in Australia to buy one. An hours wage buys about 7.5 liters of fuel in the states, or about 11 liters of fuel in Australia.

There are crazy luxury taxes on the higher end stuff and all local sales taxes are included in the aussie price as well. In general they're just a bunch of whiners who want to have their cake and eat it too.

I know, I hate how hard it is to find a spot in a carpark at McDonalds here in Aus, because all the minimum wage staff fill it with new and late model M5's :rolleyes:

In the real world, it's usually professionals who are not on minimum wage who buy BMW's, so how about making an accurate comparison? It takes 2.9x an Australian engineers average yearly wage to buy an M5, and 1.3x a US engineers average yearly wage. That's 1.2x an Australian GP's average annual wage and 0.6x a US GP's average annual wage.

That's a ~220% increase in effective price for likely Australian buyers there champ.

And yes, tax is about 30% of that price. So a tax free M5 would be a mere 2.0x average annual wage for an engineer in Aus. Is there anywhere in the US can you buy a car with absolutely no sales tax?

Captain Postal fucked around with this message at 23:05 on May 9, 2014