Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Gail Wynand posted:

At the airport or before?

Not just your credit card but your credit card statement? That is seriously unusual.

They want me to email copies.

I'm very likely going to just let that reservation expire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duralict
Sep 18, 2007

this isn't hug club at all
That is seriously bizarre. Did you lose the card or something? I've never heard of any airline ever asking for that.

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

It may be some extra security theater after MH370.

duckmaster
Sep 13, 2004
Mr and Mrs Duck go and stay in a nice hotel.

One night they call room service for some condoms as things are heating up.

The guy arrives and says "do you want me to put it on your bill"

Mr Duck says "what kind of pervert do you think I am?!

QUACK QUACK

MothraAttack posted:

Yeah Nok Air flights up north are totally fun and worth it. Where you headed in Burma duckmaster? Ready to test a new frontier?

For any Burma nerds like me out there, there's a great handful of Burmese restaurants in the back of the Phra Khanong market in Bangkok. The "Monar" shop offers legit noodles and tea leaf salad (khao sway thoke and lahpet thoke), and just down from it is what appeared to be an ethnic Karen restaurant (look for the red, white and blue flags) with vats of forest curries and stews.

And that's not normal Fiz, but since Malaysia Air and Thai border crossing crackdowns I've noticed Nok Air also getting strict with presenting your card. A statement, though...

I'm going to, er, the main city and the other one with some friends. I literally know nothing about Burma.

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

"I just love beeting off"

So for people travelling solo in SEA or living here, I recently got that Tinder dating app and it turns out that it's a really good way to meet people. I know it's meant to be a hookup thing but I've had a few fun dates out of it (sans random hookups) and met some fun people. It seems to be full of people living and/or just travelling through but since it brings up things based on location it seems like it would be pretty fantastic for people travelling through who don't want to just hope they find some people to drink with at a bar or something.

MothraAttack
Apr 28, 2008
Please tell me you've seen something like this.

http://humanitariansoftinder.com

duckmaster
Sep 13, 2004
Mr and Mrs Duck go and stay in a nice hotel.

One night they call room service for some condoms as things are heating up.

The guy arrives and says "do you want me to put it on your bill"

Mr Duck says "what kind of pervert do you think I am?!

QUACK QUACK

MrNemo posted:

So for people travelling solo in SEA or living here, I recently got that Tinder dating app and it turns out that it's a really good way to meet people. I know it's meant to be a hookup thing but I've had a few fun dates out of it (sans random hookups) and met some fun people. It seems to be full of people living and/or just travelling through but since it brings up things based on location it seems like it would be pretty fantastic for people travelling through who don't want to just hope they find some people to drink with at a bar or something.

Every single male goon in this thread clicked your profile to see if you're female.

I certainly did, and it was inconclusive.

As was your posting history.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

duckmaster posted:

Every single male goon in this thread clicked your profile to see if you're female.

Just you buddy.

kru
Oct 5, 2003

MothraAttack posted:

This is pretty much brilliant.

moflika
Jun 8, 2004

What initiation?

Well, for starters, you have to purify yourself in the waters of Lake Minnetonka...
Grimey Drawer

MothraAttack posted:

Also known as: "People I met in Chiang Mai" :mmmhmm:

moflika fucked around with this message at 04:15 on May 9, 2014

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Atlas Hugged posted:

Just you buddy.

Chair Huxtable
Dec 27, 2004

Heavens me, just look at the time

duckmaster posted:

I did not for one instant think that a girl would post something like that.

MothraAttack
Apr 28, 2008

kru posted:

This is pretty much brilliant.

I'm spoken for, but would love to have had Tinder when I was in Mae Sot just to see what would have popped up.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

So I'll be in Cambodia for 2 weeks next week for a Thai visa run. My questions are how would you use that time? Ankor Wat is a must, as is Siem Reap. Also, is it easy to get to Chiang Mai from Cambodia?

tzz
May 15, 2005
COLD
Getting to Chiang Mai from Siem Reap is easy by plane, there are a few daily Air Asia flights. I thought about coming by land but it's a really long trip that only makes sense if you make a few stops on the way.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Thanks! I'll head over to their website for prices later! I'm sure avoiding the roads as much as possible is a smart idea.

MothraAttack
Apr 28, 2008
Do you just want to see Cambodia in particular? Laos is closer to Chiang Mai and they issue double entry tourist visas if you plan to stay a minute.

tzz
May 15, 2005
COLD
On that note, any recommendation on where to go for a visa run from Chiang Mai for a couple of days?

MothraAttack
Apr 28, 2008
If you're border hopping then Mae Sai or Mae Sot and spend a night to get the feel of the place. If you do the latter I can give recommendations, but it's like a six-hour bus ride vs. Mae Sai's four. If you're getting a visa, go to Vientiane.

Anarkii
Dec 30, 2008

MothraAttack posted:

For any Burma nerds like me out there, there's a great handful of Burmese restaurants in the back of the Phra Khanong market in Bangkok. The "Monar" shop offers legit noodles and tea leaf salad (khao sway thoke and lahpet thoke), and just down from it is what appeared to be an ethnic Karen restaurant (look for the red, white and blue flags) with vats of forest curries and stews.

I never quite got into Burmese food even though I love indian, thai and chinese. Burmese always seemed like a poorer cousin of Indian and Thai. Maybe I should give it another chance.

MothraAttack
Apr 28, 2008
I've heard it described as a mix of Thai and Indian, but the "worst" of both. It tends to be really oily and heavy on the fish and shrimp paste. You generally can't go wrong with the samosas, noodle dishes or tofu or tea leaf salads, though. Still it's not something I get a craving for too often. Also, Burmese street food in Burma has a sanitary level closer to India than Thailand, so you have to be really judicious. The stuff for sale in Chiang Mai and Bangkok is generally safe.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

MothraAttack posted:

Do you just want to see Cambodia in particular? Laos is closer to Chiang Mai and they issue double entry tourist visas if you plan to stay a minute.

Yeah I'd like to see some of Cambodia, heard nothing but good things. Also right next to Koh Kong border so it makes sense.

Finch!
Sep 11, 2001

Spatial Awareness?

[ ] Whaleshark

404 Not Found
I went to Burma yesterday, for an Andaman Club visa run. The stupid new interpretation of some existing clarification of some reinterpreted and clarified rules means a lot of people are not being allowed to do the 15/30 day overland arrival trick more than three consecutive times, at least at Ranong.

Other observations: the drive between Chumphon and Ranong is kinda interesting and rural Thailand is awesome, the Andaman Club is a very weird place with no guests but a million staff and insanely cheap duty free booze, and the night boat back to Koh Tao from Chumphon is very tolerable with a valium to assist with sleep.

kenner116
May 15, 2009

Alan_Shore posted:

Yeah I'd like to see some of Cambodia, heard nothing but good things. Also right next to Koh Kong border so it makes sense.

Head down to Kampot and Kep down by the coast and near the Vietnam border. Kep has a nice hiking trail that's maintained by a French guy and you can eat Cambodia's finest crab noodles.

Kampot is a nice sleepy town that has tours to Bokor mountain where you can explore the ruins of 1920's French colonial buildings. Rent a bike in Kampot and see the countryside. I rode upstream until I reached a Chinese dam construction site, then later was invited to hang out with a family under their house near the river until the daily downpour ended.

MothraAttack
Apr 28, 2008

Finch! posted:

I went to Burma yesterday, for an Andaman Club visa run. The stupid new interpretation of some existing clarification of some reinterpreted and clarified rules means a lot of people are not being allowed to do the 15/30 day overland arrival trick more than three consecutive times, at least at Ranong.

Other observations: the drive between Chumphon and Ranong is kinda interesting and rural Thailand is awesome, the Andaman Club is a very weird place with no guests but a million staff and insanely cheap duty free booze, and the night boat back to Koh Tao from Chumphon is very tolerable with a valium to assist with sleep.

Interesting, yeah. There's also a flight from Myeik to BKK now so expect to see lots more touristic development in Burma's Mergui archipelago. I assume this will include diving, although I'm not sure how much of it has been dynamite fished. The beaches look amazing, at least. And yeah, all Thai border crossings with Burma (with maybe the new one near Ayuthaya being the exception) no longer accept more than three consecutive land crossings in your passport. Thai customs at Laos and Cambodia are still apparently accepting it, though.

Also second renting a motorbike in Kampot and Kep. Perfect place to learn in SE Asia. I too made it to the dam. Didn't bother to venture into the sad Kampot zoo, but did have a nice beer by the waterfalls.

kenner116
May 15, 2009

MothraAttack posted:

Also second renting a motorbike in Kampot and Kep. Perfect place to learn in SE Asia. I too made it to the dam. Didn't bother to venture into the sad Kampot zoo, but did have a nice beer by the waterfalls.
Actually I just rented a regular bicycle but I did get a ride on the back of a mitorbike from Ha Tien, Vietnam to Kep. When I crossed the border from China to Vietnam it felt like there was a big drop in the level of development, but crossing from Vietnam into Cambodia might have been a bigger drop.

Southern Laos is my nominee for best place to learn to motorbike in SE Asia. I was inspired by Pompous Rombous's photos of his motorbike trip around the Bolaven Plateau back in 2009 or so and finally did it myself for a couple of days three years ago. Good roads and no traffic.

xcdude24
Dec 23, 2008

MothraAttack posted:

Reminds me of pretty much everyone in Peace Corps

CronoGamer
May 15, 2004

why did this happen
Is the joke that white people aren't allowed to take pictures with minorities, or

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

CronoGamer posted:

Is the joke that white people aren't allowed to take pictures with minorities, or

I thought it was white people using pictures with minorities as a means to get laid.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

lemonadesweetheart posted:

I thought it was white people using pictures with minorities as a means to look superior and then develop self pity when they don't get laid.

CronoGamer
May 15, 2004

why did this happen
Like, I get it when it's coupled with pretentious "be the change you want to see in the world" quotations and other dumb bullshit but I think it's stretching it a little to say "this person has a picture with African kids. what a total snob"

I mean, I almost never put pictures up on social media as is because I'm lazy, but-- as a former Peace Corps volunteer, so we're clear that I'm biased here-- I think I'd be annoyed if I had pictures with the students I'd taught for two years or the coworkers I had gotten to know over that same time and people dismissed it as "he's trying to look superior and be something he's not".

MothraAttack
Apr 28, 2008
Yeah, I mean some of those pics are completely normal for a traveler or expat. I can imagine the dude with the thing on his head as some NGO worker who just wants a goofy picture. I think more broadly -- and as I say this a now ex-NGO worker in rural Thailand -- it riffs against a part of the development set that really flaunts their image of helping out. Especially in Thailand, for every cool volunteer/worker that's really invested with their children or projects like CronoGamer was in the Peace Corps, you get 5 short-term "voluntourists" that really aren't doing much at best, and at worst just lining the pockets of tour or NGO operators. Add in all the sleazy, sleazy orphanage tourism that goes on from Cambodia to Kampala and it's an easy target to lampoon. But yeah, it really works best when coupled with those quotes or background.

Some of this pictures are also just straight-up weird for a dating app.

mrg220t
Mar 5, 2007

Kitty no go hungry again with finger food!!!

CronoGamer posted:

Like, I get it when it's coupled with pretentious "be the change you want to see in the world" quotations and other dumb bullshit but I think it's stretching it a little to say "this person has a picture with African kids. what a total snob"

I mean, I almost never put pictures up on social media as is because I'm lazy, but-- as a former Peace Corps volunteer, so we're clear that I'm biased here-- I think I'd be annoyed if I had pictures with the students I'd taught for two years or the coworkers I had gotten to know over that same time and people dismissed it as "he's trying to look superior and be something he's not".

Do you use those pictures as your profile picture on a dating app?

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
There's also this

http://gurlgoestoafrica.tumblr.com/

Yeah, you can argue that "It’s great how kids are so colour-blind at that age. They don’t see them as Africans, they just see them as horses." :downsrim:

CronoGamer
May 15, 2004

why did this happen

MothraAttack posted:

Yeah, I mean some of those pics are completely normal for a traveler or expat. I can imagine the dude with the thing on his head as some NGO worker who just wants a goofy picture. I think more broadly -- and as I say this a now ex-NGO worker in rural Thailand -- it riffs against a part of the development set that really flaunts their image of helping out. Especially in Thailand, for every cool volunteer/worker that's really invested with their children or projects like CronoGamer was in the Peace Corps, you get 5 short-term "voluntourists" that really aren't doing much at best, and at worst just lining the pockets of tour or NGO operators. Add in all the sleazy, sleazy orphanage tourism that goes on from Cambodia to Kampala and it's an easy target to lampoon. But yeah, it really works best when coupled with those quotes or background.

Some of this pictures are also just straight-up weird for a dating app.

Yeah I mean, I'm not saying all of them are okay... but things like this and like caberham's gurlgoestoafrica link, I think they automatically assume "white person in developing country=target for mockery" and I just don't agree with that. People submit pics to the GGTA tumblr but without any context. I lived in Cambodia for 2 years, spoke decent Khmer, lived with a host family and am putting my host brother through college. But if I uploaded pictures of me with my host cousins, or with the elementary school kids that used to play with my bike or ask me the English names for things, and someone saw that they'd send it in and it would just be assumed that I was one of those insincere voluntourists. ReindeerF has lived in SE Asia for years and years now and has family there, if he had pictures taken there would those be any different?

I guess it's just a problem of social media use, and I never upload photos at all so it's not an issue but if someone likes using social media they shouldn't be jeered at for living in a developing country. Again, a lot of these people *are* deserving of mockery I think, but you really can't tell just from one photo and I think it's a kind of reverse snobbery in action.

mrg220t posted:

Do you use those pictures as your profile picture on a dating app?

Well, I don't use dating apps period so we're looking at a different population here... but if I did use Tinder I wouldn't want to have to disregard certain photos just because my friends in them had darker skin than me.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

CronoGamer posted:

I guess it's just a problem of social media use, and I never upload photos at all so it's not an issue but if someone likes using social media they shouldn't be jeered at for living in a developing country. Again, a lot of these people *are* deserving of mockery I think, but you really can't tell just from one photo and I think it's a kind of reverse snobbery in action.

Everyone just likes to judge, gently caress the haters. Granted, some groups are much easier to mock compared to others.

Peacecorp 2 years? Some guy will probably call bullshit on you being some glorified English Teacher pushing the US agenda. Or that you never carried any longterm skillsets or infrastructure changes.

NGO with specialized skill sets? Well that just means over paid foreigner on the field instead of hiring and training local dudes to solve the problems.

Businessman creating jobs? Horrible exploiting capitalist!

Regular package tour tourist in Phuket? Contributing to an overdevloped tour industry?

Backpackers who "like the off beaten track"? Banana pancake eating stingy hippie.

So who is actually happy? I guess it depends on whoever is raking in the money. Bangkok airport authority give no fucks about who flies in to their airport paying the airport usage fees. Hostels probably want more younger kids coming in instead of package tourist. Hotels just want the family group. ETC ETC ETC

MothraAttack
Apr 28, 2008
Sure, there's a bit of reverse snobbery. Making fun of these types of pictures is popular among the NGO crowd, but you do get a bit through the looking glass at some point. I think lack of context invites broader judgment. People back home are apt to see all foreigners doing stuff in the developing world abroad as misdirected or silly. As expats I think we all have some stigma to some degree over why we're not living/helping out/doing something useful at home.

Edit: fun story about NGO workers -- there's a Mae Sot Facebook group the town's expats use. The comment shitfit that ensued after the town's burger joint had an eating contest was the biggest holier-than-thou dickwaving contest I'd seen online in ages. Then there was another time someone trolled the group by asking where to adopt a "war orphan." Good stuff.

MothraAttack fucked around with this message at 08:01 on May 10, 2014

CronoGamer
May 15, 2004

why did this happen
Yeah I mean, I am definitely being far whinier about this than it merits. It's just a defensive reaction because I know that pictures like some of those easily could have been taken at any number of occasions at school or in the village and I never for once had any conceptions of saving the world one downtrodden developing country at a time. Consider this my "gently caress off, gurlgoestoafrica" post and I'll let it be. there certainly are plenty of over-privileged Westerners traipsing around thinking they're fixing the world. But I see way more of the criticism of such from other foreigners overseas, not from people back home, which is also interesting. Maybe expats are just more jaded.

MothraAttack posted:

Edit: fun story about NGO workers -- there's a Mae Sot Facebook group the town's expats use. The comment shitfit that ensued after the town's burger joint had an eating contest was the biggest holier-than-thou dickwaving contest I'd seen online in ages. Then there was another time someone trolled the group by asking where to adopt a "war orphan." Good stuff.

Expat facebook groups are just the best. Trolling for days.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

CronoGamer posted:

ReindeerF has lived in SE Asia for years and years now and has family there, if he had pictures taken there would those be any different?
Most of those would be either A) me at a table full of Thai-Chinese people rolling my eyes and refusing weird food while drinking beer or B) the same scene with me committing some cultural faux pas and 20 Thai-Chinese people laughing at me. It's difficult to achieve the same effect in Bangkok, but I do have a couple of shots of me with kids somewhere I'm sure. Probably doing something stupid.

My favorite kids shot is a photo my friend's brother (volunteer teacher in Cambodia for a year in 2003-2004) took when we went to the Killing Fields outside of Phnom Penh. It's two beaming little Khmer kids in front of mass graves with the sign clearly visible right behind them describing how this is where the children were dumped after they were killed. The whole photo was completely accidental, making it innocently, bur very darkly hilarious.

As for the white savior complex stuff, I think if that's your profile pic it's fair game probably. Profile pics are always either A) someone trying to portray themselves or something about them or B) humor/irony. I agree with Chrono's point, actually, that maybe you are totally legit living in that situation and it's normal and that's probably accurate for a lot of them, but it does seems a bit pretentious that it's almost always the white person with the brown children, and not either a daily part of life shot eating with the village or teaching school or an official family portrait. Are all the adults in brown-people-countries dead or something? Heh.

I did like the guy who's in his scrubs. That one's much clearer, but as has been said - WTF on a dating app? Is it pulled automatically from FB for people dumb enough to "Connect" or something?

CronoGamer posted:

Expat facebook groups are just the best. Trolling for days.
Hahaha yes. I spend probably 30 full minutes a day just trolling our local expat groups. I even set up a fake honeypot group to lure in a specific demographic. The fun never ends.

MothraAttack posted:

People back home are apt to see all foreigners doing stuff in the developing world abroad as misdirected or silly. As expats I think we all have some stigma to some degree over why we're not living/helping out/doing something useful at home.
I always wondered if this is specific to where you and I are from (and some other places) or just generally American. It's true though. I remember when I came home from my first trip here and went to this sub shop in Houston run by a coarse, but generally nice yankee New England guy. He asked where I'd been and I said, "I was backpacking around Asia" or something and he said, "Why in the Hell'd you wanna do that?" and then shook his head without looking at me. I lol'd.

For the first couple of years it's treated like you're on some extended vacation. The next couple of years, people start gingerly asking if you're coming home. Finally, they tend to break down into groups who stay in touch like normal and groups who think you're weird, but are still friendly when you're around.

ReindeerF fucked around with this message at 09:52 on May 10, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Came to post this, got caught in the debate and forgot!

Anonymize www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/725053-final-crackdown-for-border-runners-new-strict-immigration-regulation-in-force-from-today/

I hate posting anything from ThaiVisa, but I'm lazy today. I love the crackdown threads because of two groups. First, the group who claim that sensible visa laws are "insane" or whatever. Second, the howlers who love to endlessly boast that this (whatever this is) will be the final event that drives all the sex pensioners from Thailand and sinks the economy for good. As if, you know, Nana and Pattaya are keeping the country afloat.

ReindeerF fucked around with this message at 10:08 on May 10, 2014