Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
So I don't have any of the expansions, but I started getting into the base game and played a bit as the Petty King of Munster.

By the end of the game, I was the Queen of Poland. :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I'm having a hell of a time trying to break out of just being a norse chief and getting more land. Playing as Hammer from the Old Gods start and I'm scrimping up and trying to secure alliances to overthrow the king or break away from him somehow.

What happens if you're at count level and declare war for someone else's province? Does it get added to your holdings or to your liege's?

SnoochtotheNooch
Sep 22, 2012

This is what you get. For falling in Love
I started a new dynasty recently and added a few V2 mods. The mods just added titles and bloodline poo poo. Now I can't see the new dynasty. I know I saved before quitting and saved several times plus autosaves once a year.

E: I'm a newbie with the way mods in this game work. But apparently each mod added created a subfolder of each combination of the mods I was playing with. I found the saves in there. Is it safe to move those saves into my main ck2 folder?

SnoochtotheNooch fucked around with this message at 02:57 on May 8, 2014

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

SynthOrange posted:

What happens if you're at count level and declare war for someone else's province? Does it get added to your holdings or to your liege's?

You keep all holdings you declare for, both inside and outside the realm. Do note that the king/duke/etc. won't help you fight your war, though.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
The GoT mod for this is goddamn hilarious. I decided to play as Tywin, and when he died and Tyrion took over, Cersei tried to have me assassinated like 10 times (and failed every single time) then I guess got salty as gently caress and decided to come try and stab the poo poo out of me. My guards caught her, I had her executed, and welp looks like the entire plot of GoT got thrown way off the rails! :lol:

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

SALT CURES HAM posted:

The GoT mod for this is goddamn hilarious. I decided to play as Tywin, and when he died and Tyrion took over, Cersei tried to have me assassinated like 10 times (and failed every single time) then I guess got salty as gently caress and decided to come try and stab the poo poo out of me. My guards caught her, I had her executed, and welp looks like the entire plot of GoT got thrown way off the rails! :lol:

No this sounds about right.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Keep in mind Tyrion took over when he was 8 in my game. Also, Ned Stark is on the Iron Throne, which is its own kind of batshit crazy.

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.

SALT CURES HAM posted:

I remember someone doing a CK 2 GoT LP on these forums that had Stannis win the Battle of the Blackwater, burn the Lannisters to death, then get killed in single combat by Howland loving Reed in some minor skirmish against Robb's forces. The alternate outcomes to the war can be absolutely hilarious sometimes.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Can you play the GoT mod multiplayer? The scripted, frequently character-specific events seem like they'd make it odd, but it'd be really cool if it worked.

Techno Remix
Feb 13, 2012

Like most games that have a ton of start options and no real concrete goals, I find myself doing a lot of this:

1) Start the game
2) Click through a ton of counties/duchies/kingdoms looking for something fun to play
3) Exit the game because I realize it's been a half hour and I sure as hell ain't playing tonight
4) Go read the CK2 tutorial thread or watch an Arumba LP

I think my biggest problem lately has been trying to declare any way immediately, seeing no matter where I start (with the exception of maybe being the Byzantine Emperor or Cumania) my army is vastly outmatched by anyone around me. Is rising to power on a world stage that dependent on being able to afford mercenaries for the first 50-100 years or so? Not that it's a problem if that's the case. I'm bad at checking my neighbors' levies and status so I'm probably not being as opportunistic as I should be.

I'm probably going about it all wrong because as far as I can tell this isn't simply a war game. Like I think I mentioned before, stabbing people left and right was a really easy way to purge my court of anyone with a less-than-zero opinion of me. Having every single one of my rulers across multiple games have a tumble with whatever courtier was flavor of the month and then loudly proclaiming "It's good to be the count/duke/sheik/emir" still hasn't gotten old.

Or maybe I should just fire up a game as a random somebody and just play, rolling with the punches and consequences/conquests be damned. As long as I don't die that pretty much means I don't lose.

occipitallobe
Jul 16, 2012

Roland Jones posted:

Edit the third: Oh jeez, only one holy war every five years. Zoroastrians are going to be miserably slow in this, since no one will ever conduct diplomacy with you (unless that's changed too I suppose). And you only get to do it on areas that have provinces of your religion. I guess holy wars were really good in the base game but man. (Though, I suppose it also drastically reduces your chances of being obliterated instantly, since you don't own any Sunni provinces so no one can religious reconquest you. Unless, again, there's another thing I'm not aware of.)

You can go to the intrigue menu and change the holy war options under customization options if you feel so inclined. It's weird that the Priesthood option isn't there, I'm pretty sure it's there when I load up as Vandad normally.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

I'm LPing the GoT mod at another forum I frequent. Started as Aerys II in Robert's Rebellion and through lucky inheritance got a county in Bumfuck, Crownlands before losing the war. Rhaegar gets to be boss for a few months but then Stannis (Robert died in the rebellion) exiled him to The Wall and his son Aegon took charge. Raised at the wall by his father, groomed for leadership and command, instilled with a sense of his importance and destiny - the putative Aegon VI went sailing to Essos in search of a Valyrian Steel sword and was unceremoniously murdered by pirates.

However, his daughter (by Dany) Rhaella has mad good stats, has invited the aging Varys to her court, and is ready to show some basic bitches what a true Queen looks like.

e; Oh and Lyanna Stark survived the war, stayed put in my court, and then married Stannis.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Techno Remix posted:

I think my biggest problem lately has been trying to declare any way immediately, seeing no matter where I start (with the exception of maybe being the Byzantine Emperor or Cumania) my army is vastly outmatched by anyone around me. Is rising to power on a world stage that dependent on being able to afford mercenaries for the first 50-100 years or so? Not that it's a problem if that's the case. I'm bad at checking my neighbors' levies and status so I'm probably not being as opportunistic as I should be.

I'm probably going about it all wrong because as far as I can tell this isn't simply a war game. Like I think I mentioned before, stabbing people left and right was a really easy way to purge my court of anyone with a less-than-zero opinion of me. Having every single one of my rulers across multiple games have a tumble with whatever courtier was flavor of the month and then loudly proclaiming "It's good to be the count/duke/sheik/emir" still hasn't gotten old.

Or maybe I should just fire up a game as a random somebody and just play, rolling with the punches and consequences/conquests be damned. As long as I don't die that pretty much means I don't lose.

Well, for my Zoroastrian games at least, despite being smaller than most of my neighbors I did well by simply being on the offensive constantly. Take over Khiva right away, snipe Lut and the other provinces before the Saffarids consume everything south of you, grab Tabaristan if Gilan hasn't miraculously taken over. The Saffarid dude usually doesn't hate you too much so have your diplomatic guy improving relations on his capitol (he might move it so wait a few days before placing him) while you piss off all your other neighbors by taking everything you can of theirs. You have the the second or third-best CB in the game available to you for anything except Gilan (and he usually dies really fast), and as long as you've declared war on someone they can't declare war on you. Which they will. I had Nasr declare war against me as early as January 11th, which is one of the two reasons you declare war on him immediately; you're going to be fighting him no matter what so you may as well get something out of it. Other reason is that Khiva is a seven-holding province so putting your capitol there early is fantastic. I almost never even used mercenaries; hired them two or three time because I needed numbers for one big battle, then disbanded them after they and my enemies were both utterly ruined. Certainly didn't do it in any of my early wars.

I haven't tried any other underdog starts yet, but I think basically anything in this game can work out. You just need to approach it the right way, even if that way is sometimes counter-intuitive (like the Zoroastrian strategy of always being at war with the bigger, meaner people surrounding you until they're not bigger anymore).

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
Here's a goofy thing I've run into while doing goofy things:

- Start as Haestinn of Nantes
- Immediately conquer Rome
- Swear fealty to the Byzantine Empire
- Start conquering Brittany and Sicily
- In very short order, the Byzantine emperor will demand revocation of one of your titles
- Refuse
- Wait
- When you tick to 15-20 warscore because the emperor takes months to get his troops anywhere, offer a white peace, the emperor will accept
- In very short order, the Byzantine emperor will demand revocation of one of your titles
- Refuse
- Wait
- When you tick to 15-20 warscore because the emperor takes months to get his troops anywhere, offer a white peace, the emperor will accept
- Refuse
- Wait
- In very short order, ...

Roadie fucked around with this message at 08:02 on May 8, 2014

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!
Hæsteinn is probably my favorite start. 1500-2000 event troops and awesome martial score lets you do quite a few things to start with, you just have to find a way to avoid being crushed by a bored Karling.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Techno Remix posted:

If you want conquest-heavy games, try playing as one of the two Norse stomping around England in the Old Gods start. You get a hefty starting army with no upkeep, and a great Casus Belly against your Christian neightbours, and can DoW basically all of Ireland at once.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Lawman 0 posted:

Personally I vastly prefer warrior popes who do things like kill the French king in personal combat. :catholic::hf::black101:

That Outliner... :stare:

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Roadie posted:

peace, the emperor will accept
- In very short order, ...

If you go Greek and Orthodox (probably Orthodox alone is enough) the Emperor won't ask to revoke your titles anymore.

Hamburger Test posted:

Hæsteinn is probably my favorite start. 1500-2000 event troops and awesome martial score lets you do quite a few things to start with, you just have to find a way to avoid being crushed by a bored Karling.

Ignoring Brittany and bailing out to Ireland and the rest of the Isles is the best way to avoid the Karlings.

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012

That's not a real name, Wales. :colbert:

Hambilderberglar
Dec 2, 2004

pwnyXpress posted:

They're also reformed West African in my current game as Buddhist India.

Also, the Kingdom of Georgia is the last bastion of Catholicism, and there are no Sunnis left. Cathar won dominance and is all over Spain and Brittania, and Shia took over most of Persia and Mesopotamia...and France. Tengri is the only pagan religion that hasn't reformed. Germany is Jain, Aquitaine/Lotharingia is Messalian, Italy/Sicily is Zoroastrian led by the descendant of the Saoshyant, and Hungary is Samaritan. The Tulinids are Jewish and formed the Kingdom of Israel, and Byzantine is a restored Roman Empire with Roman culture and Hellenic Pagan religion. A large Armenia remains Orthodox. Favorite thing so far? A Karling leading the Hashashin.

Yeah, I used the console to set up some ridiculous initial conditions in the Old Gods start. I'm really liking the way it turned out. Coming up on 1200, and I'm excited for some Aztecs to come and wipe out Cathar Brittania.

This is going to be the best EUIV export ever. :getin:
:catstare: this sounds like the most magical game ever. How can you get access to Roman culture with Greek paganism? Ruler designer or is there some event/mod you are running? I'm pretty sure I've never seen either of those outside of going way the gently caress back into the Roman imperial title holders and finding the last pre-Christian emperor.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

Hambilderberglar posted:

:catstare: this sounds like the most magical game ever. How can you get access to Roman culture with Greek paganism? Ruler designer or is there some event/mod you are running? I'm pretty sure I've never seen either of those outside of going way the gently caress back into the Roman imperial title holders and finding the last pre-Christian emperor.

He used the console.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Okay, my bishop just converted to Fraticelli and is asking me to do the same. I remember people talking about that heresy in here; what exactly is so special about it? I'm playing Ireland again so it's not like I'm in much external danger, but I'm curious.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Roland Jones posted:

Okay, my bishop just converted to Fraticelli and is asking me to do the same. I remember people talking about that heresy in here; what exactly is so special about it? I'm playing Ireland again so it's not like I'm in much external danger, but I'm curious.

Fratricelli Pope. :getin:

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

IM ONE OF THE GOOD ONES

Lawman 0 posted:

Personally I vastly prefer warrior popes who do things like kill the French king in personal combat. :catholic::hf::black101:

Holy crap that's badass. If we're on the topic of warrior-ruler stories, I'd love to face War Pope there with my newest ruler:

Look out, Catholicism! :getin: Note also that he's a Cavalry Leader and Occitan. My knights are basically death machines.

This is shaping up to be a pretty cool game. All I have is a fairly new Kingdom of Aquitaine, with only most of its de jure lands. This guy's dad created it, became insanely prestigious and powerful, became depressed when his awesome genius wife died, and finally suicided at the age of thirty-something when Audoin here came of age. Almost immediately the Holy Roman loving Emperor came at my little kingdom, with the Knights Templar and the Knights of Santiago in tow. This lanky 17-year-old kid with a few thousand mercs promptly chopped up Duke Shithead that commanded the enemy army, smashed the attackers in two giant fuckoff battles, and sent a crusading army from the largest realm in Europe running home with their tails between their legs.

If he doesn't die young, this is going to be one awesome reign.

saber45
Nov 10, 2004

Techno Remix posted:

It's also worth being really sneaky, if you do want to take on a bigger power than yourself then its worth marrying off some daughters to some big dudes that are in the area so you get a powerful ally. This now means that when you enter a war you can at least hopefully rely on some backup (often with some fairly large stacks).

Another sneaky trick is to wait for a civil war or the other guy to pick on someone else then near the end of that war declare on him and easily overcome his weakened, half dead forces.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ended up converting to Fraticelli so that I'd have a goal after forming Britannia: Taking over Rome and instilling a Fraticelli pope. Used the opportunity to holy war my neighbors and try to take over Ireland faster, and up Fraticelli's moral authority while I was at it.

Brian ended up dying in a cleanup battle as I chased the enemy around, and his underage daughter wasn't converted yet, ending the war since there wasn't a Fraticelli ruler anymore. So that was anticlimactic. And apparently she inherited the debt from the loan I took out to make sure I won that war. Bah.

Edit: Meanwhile the Byzantine Empire fought off not one but two simultaneous jihads. There's also a Zoroastrian uprising happening in the East. Wonder if they'll manage to make something of a comeback despite the 1066 start date. Edit again: They did not.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 16:50 on May 8, 2014

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Kainser posted:

He used the console.

Either due to bug or feature, Hellenic characters do spawn places.

I've had all of Armenia convert to the Hellenic faith before being conquered by the Muslims.

QuoProQuid fucked around with this message at 16:52 on May 8, 2014

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Hambilderberglar posted:

I've played a fair bit as a custom Roman ruler, and pretty quickly realized there isn't really any reason to play one without modding. I ended up adding heavy infantry retinues, added the culture to the combat tactics file, changed some of the Greek specific events, and eventually changed succession laws and factions to make them always have feudal elective available.

They really should have a mix of heavy and light infantry, or light cavalry, but just straight heavy infantry is a lot more effective. I might change it to a mix of HI and archers, to make it a little different from the Norse retinue.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Oh dang, the HRE's taken over England in my Ireland game. This is going to complicate becoming empress of Britannia quite a bit.

On the plus side, my queen is pretty dang awesome. Became queen a few months after turning eighteen, united all of Ireland under her rule at nineteen, married the second-born prince of Scotland matrilineally (and Scotland's gavelkind, so even if she doesn't deal with the first and only other son she's gonna get a lot of land when his dad kicks the bucket). Just need to make sure she doesn't die young because she doesn't have an heir yet.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 18:14 on May 8, 2014

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!
Is there a reliable way to become doge from a noble start, without using the console or loading up as a different ruler? Starting as norse I can easily grab the holdings needed and the duchy.

I'm thinking:
1) Hold two duchies, and a city in the county I want as my capital.
2) Give the city to my heir, then the duchy.
3) Hope I die before my heir.

Not 100% but it should work, right?

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Hamburger Test posted:

Is there a reliable way to become doge from a noble start, without using the console or loading up as a different ruler? Starting as norse I can easily grab the holdings needed and the duchy.

I'm thinking:

If you make your heir a Doge, he will immediately be disinherited.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
I wish paradox would just release an expansion to the ruler editor DLC so you can set if theyre a republic or feudal lord rather than all this gaming of the system. Maybe allow you to customize ownership of titles to create custom scenarios from the start. It's all stuff you can do editing txt files anyway but a dlc to do it would be great.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

QuoProQuid posted:

If you make your heir a Doge, he will immediately be disinherited.

Hmm, that could be useful too. Getting rid of excess heirs is a pain under gavelkind.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Hamburger Test posted:

I'm thinking:

There's no way to become a Doge as a player.

However, you can create merchant republic papacys if you grant an unlanded pope a city. They even get the merchant republic succession mechanics though the pope himself will never marry.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
There's a little beta patch (opt in via properties -> betas if you want it):

quote:

MAJOR
- New Launcher! All platforms now use the same launcher, this will allow us to do all kinds of cool things with the launcher in the future
but for now it simply means that all platforms have one.

MINOR
- Ghanan band and Ghilman merc compositions are no longer naval.
- Saint Addai holy order is no longer available before the event chain enables them.

INTERFACE
- Titles in diplomatic interactions no longer sorted.

CONVERTER
- Fixed crash from temporary titles
- Fixed indian cultures.
- Fixed invalid religion icon for jain
http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?774446-Crusader-Kings-II-Open-Beta-Patch-2.1.5.1-Now-Available-checksum-ICTB

Also, CK2 collection is on sale at the humble store today. :frogsiren:Buy buy buy!:frogsiren:

Darkrenown fucked around with this message at 18:59 on May 8, 2014

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Linux Launcher!!!

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Titles no longer sorted!

pwnyXpress
Mar 28, 2007

Darkrenown posted:

There's a little beta patch (opt in via properties -> betas if you want it):

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?774446-Crusader-Kings-II-Open-Beta-Patch-2.1.5.1-Now-Available-checksum-ICTB

Also, CK2 collection is on sale at the humble store today. :frogsiren:Buy buy buy!:frogsiren:

Any word on updating the EUIV converter?

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

pwnyXpress posted:

Any word on updating the EUIV converter?

Isn't that what all the stuff listed under "Converter" is about?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hambilderberglar
Dec 2, 2004

What the hell happened to Crusades? Lotharingia and Italy succeeded in their crusades for Hungary and Andalusia respectively, did the AI get better at calling ones it could actually win because I can't actually remember a time when I saw one succeed. I feel a little bad for my Magyar pals and I'm seething I can't holy war catholics as the Byzantines myself.

• Locked thread