Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer
That really sucks Dick. There's not much else I can say about it.

Looking now, while you're employed, will at least give you the excuse that you wish to leave your current position for new adventures. Once (if) you get fired, then you'll have the whole "Why did you lose your last job?" questions thrown at you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Dick Trauma posted:

When I saw that email from the CEO I knew I was done for. That afternoon I took a quick pass through my resume and reactivated it at Dice and Monster to get the ball rolling. I know there's no long term potential here but it's hard to accept. This is the kind of industry that hangs on to people, like the way Tony had been at the last place for seven years. I thought I was building something here, and I've been long overdue to find a place like that.

I'm very disappointed to be treated this way and to have to give up what I'd hoped for. I've had it stuck to me so many times now over the span of decades I can't feel anything positive about this situation.

IT industry is rapidly moving away from long-term positions, at least in my area. I went from seeing tons of salaried jobs advertised to nothing but 3-6 month contracts being offered in a 2 year period. It's crazy.

Killer_B
May 23, 2005

Uh?

CitizenKain posted:

I hate to say it, but they have your number and want you gone, they are just waiting for the right moment to do it. Might not be tomorrow, or even next week, but its happening really soon, and it will be when they feel the knife can sink the farthest.
Starting now, prepare the resume and start looking. Think how much easier it will be to apply for things while you are still earning money, compared to how it looks when you aren't at a job. Hell, if you have a good relationship with a vendor, give them a call and see if they are hiring. We've had a few people leave our company to work for the company that provides us our core applications, and that was just from talking to them on the phone. Then, find out if you can leave an upper decker in the closest toilet they will use.

I would have to agree with this...

From my (non-tech/IT field) experience, it looks far better for you as a prospective employee if you're the one leaving the company on their own accord, rather than getting canned because of getting axed due to corporate/upper management political bullshit.

I have worked in a a somewhat similar fashion with regards to toxic workplace and management, I hung on as long as I could...They still got to me eventually. That job actually paid somewhat well for me, compared to what I'm making now with 2 jobs...I still feel it was worth it though.

Not worth it to get accelerated grey hairs/stress strictly because you're concerned about making $120K+, believe it or not.

From my recent experiences, I know I want to move down to only one job; I feel that the full time one I've got now isn't going to cut it for me in order to live month to month...Plus, my age is likely to make things a touch difficult for me as well to find something that I feel is "the perfect one"...Sure, age discrimination sucks, but companies seriously could give no fucks about it these days; Best to make the search for a job, ON YOUR OWN TERMS. Not because of the CEO and the evidently spineless management that runs the toxic shithole of a company where you work, decides it be so.

Apologies if it's a bit redundant, hopefully I made it somewhat clear.

Killer_B
May 23, 2005

Uh?

Inspector_666 posted:

If nothing else, at least you see it coming.

And hopes go out to you, Dick, that you will meet this on your terms.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I just want to point out I'm not some sort of money-grubbing weirdo. I've never made $100k and don't have a weird illusion that because I once had the Director title anyone owes me big bucks. But this is the most I've made, and the first time I've exceeded what I earned in '04 at the Director job. I have two elderly parents I'll have to take care of soon, I'm already sending them $800 a month and there's a lot on the line for me. I was working through that long period of low pay at the best jobs I could get, not sitting at home dreaming of having responsibilities and compensation I haven't earned.

I appreciate the advice and good wishes. If I had it to do all over again I wouldn't be in the place at this point in my life.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Dick Trauma posted:

If I had it to do all over again I wouldn't be in the place at this point in my life.

Going to be honest here, that goes for just about everyone.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
We still love you Dick Trauma.

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

Lord Dudeguy posted:

Oh my god...

The team was mentioning that during an edge outage the phones were dialing great. I didn't believe them.

I'll try bouncing the edge tomorrow. Why in the hell would it do that? I have federation disabled.

:edit: 6,100 handles for System process. Restarted Lync services and it dropped to 5,100 handles. We'll see what happens tomorrow.

It's definitely a weird one, we couldn't believe it was the edge either. I spoke to the lync guy just now and he says the root cause was DNS, we had old entries from our 2010 environment that weren't updated for the new 2013 servers. Instead of failing gracefully it causes the system handle leak on the edge and leads to the dreaded beeps. He spotted the incorrect entries while looking at something else in DNS, updated them and we haven't had a problem since.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

CitizenKain posted:

Hell, if you have a good relationship with a vendor, give them a call and see if they are hiring. We've had a few people leave our company to work for the company that provides us our core applications, and that was just from talking to them on the phone.

Sorry to hear about your troubles DT. Quoting this because we see people leave our company, which is a great company in the Fortune 100, to work for vendors as well. They'll go work for vendors or consulting firms that we work with, sort of how congressmen go into lobbying firms. Might be a good path for you to check out.

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006
[Insert good English here]

Scikar posted:

It's definitely a weird one, we couldn't believe it was the edge either. I spoke to the lync guy just now and he says the root cause was DNS, we had old entries from our 2010 environment that weren't updated for the new 2013 servers. Instead of failing gracefully it causes the system handle leak on the edge and leads to the dreaded beeps. He spotted the incorrect entries while looking at something else in DNS, updated them and we haven't had a problem since.

I bounced the Edge box and even threw more CPU horsepower at it. No dice.

I'm wondering if sending the Edge to our DR pool would make a difference. DR phones don't have the beep, but production ones do.

canis minor
May 4, 2011

Killer_B posted:

I would have to agree with this...

From my (non-tech/IT field) experience, it looks far better for you as a prospective employee if you're the one leaving the company on their own accord, rather than getting canned because of getting axed due to corporate/upper management political bullshit.

I have worked in a a somewhat similar fashion with regards to toxic workplace and management, I hung on as long as I could...They still got to me eventually. That job actually paid somewhat well for me, compared to what I'm making now with 2 jobs...I still feel it was worth it though.

Not worth it to get accelerated grey hairs/stress strictly because you're concerned about making $120K+, believe it or not.

From my recent experiences, I know I want to move down to only one job; I feel that the full time one I've got now isn't going to cut it for me in order to live month to month...Plus, my age is likely to make things a touch difficult for me as well to find something that I feel is "the perfect one"...Sure, age discrimination sucks, but companies seriously could give no fucks about it these days; Best to make the search for a job, ON YOUR OWN TERMS. Not because of the CEO and the evidently spineless management that runs the toxic shithole of a company where you work, decides it be so.

Apologies if it's a bit redundant, hopefully I made it somewhat clear.

I'd have to agree with this - there's really no point in bringing yourself down, if your conscience is clear. You've got to remind yourself that you're skilled person, that knows the ins and outs of your position and if it came to worst, replacing you won't be easy. Furthermore - currently there's a lot of place in IT world, and while changes are hard, I would say - staying in a place like that is debatable.

I'd have to ask though (as I've not seen it mentioned) - have you brought how this situation makes you feel unappreciated and entrapped with HR? Though, I guess seeing that HR was in the meeting makes it seem that everybody is against you...

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Guys it's time for an intermission of cute (that is also actually work-related).

Yesterday in the pond behind my office I saw: geese, muskrats, deer, and BABY DUCKS :3:

As I was leaving my office at the end of the day, I see the rear end in a top hat male goose attacking one of the baby ducks! So I yelled at him and chased him off, then helped guide the mommy duck and the 4 babies back to the other babies in the pond who were all going cheep cheep cheep. :3::3::3:

The rest of the babies who had been seperated from mom by the mean ole goose:

Also this morning I cut some fresh grass for my pigs before I went off to work, so here is a photo of them eating that as well:

I hope this helped a little. You may now resume your bitching and tales of woe.

edit: oh poo poo they're back!!

12 babies :3::kimchi::3:

Sirotan fucked around with this message at 15:16 on May 8, 2014

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
I'm working from home today because my kittens have a vet appointment this morning!

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Sorry, I think we need proof of kitten ownership before we can approve this absence. :colbert:

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Doing the needful

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Oh how about that, somethingawful is suddenly unblocked at work. Now avatars and icons work again!

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Sirotan posted:

I see the rear end in a top hat male goose attacking one of the baby ducks! So I yelled at him and chased him off

Wow you are one brave lady. gently caress geese forever. To contribute to the cute derail, here's my puppy lounging in the sun.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Is anyone else knee-deep in an upgrade from XP? I'm setting up a Win7 workstation to test on and I can't loving set an IE11 homepage in GPO or GPP. I have both 2003 and 2008 servers at my disposal, I've downloaded and manually installed the Administrative Template for IE11, but I'm just not seeing poo poo for applying bookmarks/homepage. Even other IT guys on Spiceworks and TechNet forums can't figure this poo poo out. It's not supposed to be complicated! gently caress!

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

Sprechensiesexy posted:

Cisco Certified Coffeemachine Expert™

I stopped touching anything that is not VoiP related at work, except the coffee machine. I will happily spend hours troubleshooting it if that means precious caffeine in my blood.

So I assume you've got HTCPCPoIP for IPv6 fully implemented in your environment?

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

Zero VGS posted:

Is anyone else knee-deep in an upgrade from XP? I'm setting up a Win7 workstation to test on and I can't loving set an IE11 homepage in GPO or GPP. I have both 2003 and 2008 servers at my disposal, I've downloaded and manually installed the Administrative Template for IE11, but I'm just not seeing poo poo for applying bookmarks/homepage. Even other IT guys on Spiceworks and TechNet forums can't figure this poo poo out. It's not supposed to be complicated! gently caress!

Please do the needful and download IEAK.

And by that I mean try to convince people to switch to Google Chrome Enterprise, because MS really dropped the ball here.

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

seriously where the fuck did this genre come from

Zero VGS posted:

User Configuration\Policies\Admin Templates\Windows Components\Internet Explorer\Disable changing home page settings

Bookmarks are done via Shortcuts user preference items sent to "Explorer Favorites"

Alternatively, grab a Win8\Server 2012 box and install RSAT so you can make IE10+ preference items.

hihifellow fucked around with this message at 16:41 on May 8, 2014

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

hihifellow posted:

User Configuration\Policies\Admin Templates\Windows Components\Internet Explorer\Disable changing home page settings

Bookmarks are done via Shortcuts user preference items sent to "Explorer Favorites"

Alternatively, grab a Win8\Server 2012 box and install RSAT so you can make IE10+ preference items.

You're doing God's work. They really bury those settings in there. Corporate won't buy/give Win8/2012 to us, technically they haven't even given us the go-ahead on Win7, but I'm getting an image going now because theirs will most certainly be botched.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer

jim truds posted:

Don't save it, jettison it like the turd it is. You're being set up for failure and any attempts to save that job is going to be digging a hole. Try to get some references from there, clean up the resume, and make finding a new place your number one job.

And I don't know if it is the healthiest attitude but when I've been in situations where I'm being set up to fail or in an impossible situation I just take it as a sort of freedom. If I can't win then it means I don't have to try to win and instead can just say gently caress it. Not sure if that's the sort of viewpoint that will help but it seems healthier than digging a hole trying to save a job that is actively turning on you.

Jumping on the "they want you gone" bandwagon here - and if you haven't done so, talk to the Resume to Interviews guy. Also the Linkedin guy. Both in SA-Mart, both amazing guys - the Linkedin revamp gave me huge, HUGE amounts of recruiters reaching out to me and the networking really paid off. It's pretty easy since he does all the awkward poo poo for you, and boom - all you gotta do is spend time each day (I say do it on the company dime, so long as you're the one with the Websense credentials) and reach out accordingly.

If you ever wanna hunt jobs for the NY metro area you've got a crash pad here in Union, NJ should you need a place to sleep for a few days or whatnot.

martyrdumb
Nov 24, 2009

pants are overrated

Lareous posted:

<goodasschicken@fuckyeah.net>
This is my favorite thing.

NerdsMcGee
Sep 23, 2006
My hands are too stained...

Fortis posted:

The subject for almost every ticket? The thing that is supposed to give me a synopsis right away of the problem?

'Phone' :smithicide:

I'm not immune, either. This just came in.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

My most recent ticket subject was just "Quesion".

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Dick Trauma posted:

they ambushed me in a three way meeting where I went from someone with three solid annual reviews, kudos (and a free $2000+ laptop) from the CEO to a terrible employee who does not demonstrate the proper sense of urgency, is not a team player and says "no" to everyone who asks me for something.

None of this is founded in reality. No examples or specifics were forthcoming. No schedule was set to follow up on this meeting to monitor my improvement. Just an hour of relentless bitching and threats while I slowly shrank into my shell. I don't think I was allowed to finish even one sentence. They didn't want me to defend myself. We were not on the same side. They just wanted me to sit there and take it, and then slink away.

Man, others might have a varying opinion, but I seriously do not stand for this poo poo. I'll take criticism and I will improve, but I will NOT be scapegoated or be on the opposite side of the table for an unfounded bitch-fest like this.

You have no evidence? No citations? Then we're done here, come back when you have something.
You cut me off on another sentence and I am walking out of this room, we can try again when you're civil.

I don't care if it's the CEO on the other side of the table. I am a professional and will be treated with at least a baseline of respect or we're not going to talk.

It can blow up, but oh well, it just accelerates what's going to happen anyway. Typically, people who are assholes like this are spineless wimps and if you show a little backbone they'll just leave you alone. It's playground bully nonsense.

And also, seconding, thirding, fourthing the R2I recommendation. It's a bit pricey, but you'll make the money back on your next job. I got a much better resume than I could have ever managed out of the deal and had a new job within a month of them finishing their process.

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004
I have read around the forums that they aren't much better than just doing it yourself. Do they have an understanding of the needs for a technical CV/Resume?

justlysarcastic
Feb 22, 2010

no words necessary
A ticket came in ...

"Subject: Hard drives

Description: ."

... The ticket came in yesterday and the user hasn't responded to our request for clarification yet :smith:

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

justlysarcastic posted:

A ticket came in ...

"Subject: Hard drives

Description: ."

... The ticket came in yesterday and the user hasn't responded to our request for clarification yet :smith:

HDD died mid ticket.

Off Topic: Anyone take the SSCP certification exam? Just purchased the book via Amazon and am curious how hard the course was and did it make any difference for your career.

DisMafugga
Apr 29, 2013

Renegret posted:

For some reason my first thought was that he punched a hole into a CRT monitor. I have no idea why but it would've been really impressive if it was.

CRT monitors are incredibly durable. You can launch one off a two story building into a dumpster without shattering the screen. They can also take a pretty significant shot from a sledge hammer. You'd have to be Superman to punch a hole through one. (Or at least some lesser fictional character with a strength ability.)

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

demonachizer posted:

I have read around the forums that they aren't much better than just doing it yourself. Do they have an understanding of the needs for a technical CV/Resume?

All I can provide is more anecdotal evidence, but the number of contacts I got on my resume after having the guy rewrite it went up dramatically. And if it gets you a better paying job even a few days sooner then it's worth the expense.

Billy the Mountain
Feb 3, 2005

I used to be TheRealLuquado

A Ticket came in:

Dispatch: Head immediately to <insert Law firm name here> with password reset disk. User changed password and claims it doesn't work.

Arrive on site, (No domain, only work groups)use password reset disk, takes 4 times but finally clear it. Log back in, set up new password, verify profile.

User (owner of company) then has 5 more requests, (which I, as the good little tech I am, immediately forward to my support admin desk for entry into the ticket system), from locating folders and files he does not know location of to renaming and redirecting mail from Office 365 to a new user, etc. Altogether 90 minutes of work.

As I leave he goes to verify the bill he will receive and quotes back to me the initial estimate of 30 minutes. I say to him, well actually since I've been here another hour doing these other tasks you yourself requested of me, I am submitting 90 minutes.

He flips out and refuses to pay. Screaming at me. As he refuses to stop berating me, I change his password to something he doesn't know and walk out.

He called our office 10 minutes later and agreed to pay the bill. And he apologized.

Feels good man.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

odiv posted:

My most recent ticket subject was just "Quesion".

My favorites are the tickets from foreign clients where the subject and body are both just "DOWN".

Never in lower case or actual proper case, just "DOWN".

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Kyrosiris posted:

My favorites are the tickets from foreign clients where the subject and body are both just "DOWN".

Never in lower case or actual proper case, just "DOWN".

Reply: "Arf! Arf! *Pantpantpantpant*"

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine
End users shouldn't be allowed to use the word "down" in tickets.

"The Internet is Down!!"

I... I'm pretty sure people outside of our office would have noticed that.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Billy the Mountain posted:

He flips out and refuses to pay. Screaming at me. As he refuses to stop berating me, I change his password to something he doesn't know and walk out.

He called our office 10 minutes later and agreed to pay the bill. And he apologized.

Please tell me you changed it to @ssh0le

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Dick Trauma posted:

I've never made $100k

:catstare:

And you work in LA? Getting fired is the best thing that can happen to you. Find a job that will pay you properly.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer

demonachizer posted:

The guy's money back guarantee is a no-questions asked thing. I asked him to update mine, paid his asking price, and didn't really get the outcome I was looking for. I asked for a refund, and I got it. I would still recommend him to anyone and everyone - he asks the right questions relevant to what you want to come across as, and he handles the minutae.

This was after I bought the full package from him a few years back, and I don't think that I could have done as good of a job myself. There's a lot of good stuff a third party brings to the table, and Jason knows what he's doing.

MJP fucked around with this message at 19:46 on May 8, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Billy the Mountain
Feb 3, 2005

I used to be TheRealLuquado

stubblyhead posted:

Please tell me you changed it to @ssh0le

Close.

$hitb@gof(0(k$

A personal favorite.

• Locked thread