Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

cafel posted:

Haha, no devices developed incorporating relativity? I hope Andy doesn't use GPS, or I've got bad news about how he's been benefiting directly from the theory of relativity.

http://www.conservapedia.com/Talk:Global_Positioning_System

quote:

Don't revert Andy's edits unless there is a grammar or spelling error. This has been discussed before, and a consensus has been reached. The article reflects that consensus; don't change it. JacobB 17:32, 13 January 2010 (EST)

Edit: Also,
http://www.conservapedia.com/Talk:Theory_of_relativity#GPS_and_Relativity

quote:

Good point. Anyone who asserts on this site that GPS was designed based on the Theory of Relativity needs to prove the claim. Note that the claim is implausible because it is cheaper, easier, and more precise to synchronize GPS based on observations rather than theoretical speculation. Also note that no Nobel Prize has been given for verification of the Theory of Relativity with GPS.--Andy Schlafly 19:55, 12 April 2012 (EDT)
Italics are in the original text. Bolding, is mine. No Nobel Prize? Well, that proves that then.

RoyKeen fucked around with this message at 18:08 on May 8, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Finnankainen
Oct 14, 2012
I am seriously shocked that there is a really well supported counter to this idiocy on Conservapedia itself.

Rebuttal to Counterexamples to Relativity

Which contains this excellent line which I suspect Andy believes is wholly sincere and not at all sarcastic.

quote:

Unless someone can come up with a sensible example, we will not be posting further rebuttals. The recent ones have been hideously pointless, and not worth replying to. Many of them have cited articles that have nothing to do with relativity. Tides, and earthquakes, do not disprove relativity. It's possible that, because of the rather famous nature of the "counterexamples" page (it is cited around the world, and has nearly 2 million web views), people are simply putting in parody, or trolling, or humor, or whatever, in an attempt to see their work on a world-famous page.

Andy of course responds with his usual "2+2=4" nonsense.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
So the 2011 Noble Prize must be false then.

http://newswatch.nationalgeographic.com/2011/10/12/nobel-prize-in-physics-2011/

quote:

The 2011 Nobel Prize in Physics has been awarded to Adam Riess, Brian Schmidt, and Saul Perlmutter for their discovery of the accelerating expansion of the universe.

Using that pesky Einstein's general relativity stuff and such of course.

drat Nobel Prize liberals!

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

quote:

The references are hearsay. Logic is far more compelling, more efficient, and more likely to lead to the correct result.
To take the analogy mentioned above, if you agree that perpetual motion machines are impossible, what is the reason?--Andy Schlafly 01:45, 12 April 2012 (EDT)

Who cares about your sources and references (to articles I linked without reading), I have logic-ed this out by myself and you can't beat that. :colbert:

e: hahaha those talk pages are pure gold

quote:

Folks, the burden of proof is on anyone who claims that the Theory of Relativity was used to design GPS. That burden includes describing who, when, where, how, and why. It didn't happen. And if it did, the person who wasted time and money on such a frivolous approach should explain the mistake, because engineers can simply synchronize the clocks far more accurately than the theory ever could.--Andy Schlafly 18:15, 8 April 2012 (EDT)
conservapedia.txt

quote:

Roland, you're requesting proof that something didn't happen. Moreover, someone with an engineering background (such as myself) would not expect it to have happened. It is like asking for a reference that no green cheese was found on the Moon. No such scientific reference is likely to exist, nor would anyone expect such a reference to exist.--Andy Schlafly 19:28, 8 April 2012 (EDT)
If only you were as smart as me all would be clear.

e2: oh my loving god, my sides are splitting

quote:

The lack of evidence, amid so much political pressure to prove it, is indicative that no proof can be found. Notice how no Nobel Prizes have been given for GPS confirming the Theory of Relativity?--Andy Schlafly 21:01, 12 April 2012 (EDT)

quote:

If you want to use the Nobel Prize as evidence against relativity, might I direct you to:
http://www.nobelprize.org/educational/physics/relativity/
Where the official Nobel Prize website discusses various experiments related to relativity, and the relevant Nobel Prizes awarded for them.
--Cahnkj 00:32, 13 April 2012 (EDT)

quote:

GPS is not even on that overly broad list.--Andy Schlafly 00:43, 13 April 2012 (EDT)

That's it liberals unless a Nobel prize is given for relativity as applied to GPS then relativity is false.

e3: Holy loving poo poo, there is no loving way this man ever took a physics or mathematics class. I'd love to know who he payed for that diploma.

quote:

"Mathematical physicists" (an oxymoron - I'll add it to the list) insisted that it was impossible for the exponent in Newtonian gravity to be anything other than precisely 2 (or -2). With the political push to promote the Theory of Relativity, the influence of the mathematical physicists rose too, and that is what shut down the valid inquiry into whether the Newtonian exponent should be precisely 2 (or -2). But any logical inquiry must admit the possibility, or even the likelihood, that it would not be exactly 2 (or -2).--Andy Schlafly 19:31, 13 April 2012 (EDT)
Here he's arguing that only you were to tweak the R exponent to 2.000000157 then it would predict Mercury's precession without no stinking relativity.

Which leads to the obvious:

quote:

The issue here is not whether the exponent is precisely two or not but that you have to have a model which explains all (or at least as many as possible) observations. To get the precision of Mercury right you produce a model which then fails to explain the observed precession of every other body in the solar system. This seems to be a good experimental demonstration that Newcomb-Hall is wrong (or least inadequate as a model). Jloveday 15:32, 15 April 2012 (EDT)

And is countered with:

quote:

I doubt the minor tweak in the exponent would affect the other orbits. The orbit of Mercury would be far more sensitive to such a tweak than anything else.
The broader question remains: isn't the censorship of any alternative to the Theory of Relativity obvious? If the theory were correct, then there would be no need for liberals to censor debate or alternative theories.--Andy Schlafly 20:25, 12 May 2012 (EDT)

An engineer ladies and gentlemen, a motherfucking engineer! :downsbravo:

MeLKoR fucked around with this message at 19:56 on May 8, 2014

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

This post is hurting the economy!
Wait, has there been a Nobel prize awarded to something in any way related to GPS? Maybe the problem is that GPS doesn't actually exist.

Either way, gotta love Andy's flailing. Sure the clocks might be set to different rates to account for time moving differently, but it's based off observations and not theory drat it! Just because those observations mesh with a particular theory doesn't imply anything.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

markgreyam posted:

Also, the whole obsession with the "if anything is ever corrected in science then the whole of science is questionable" argument is just enthralling.

That really comes from people that don't understand science and look at it from the angle of religion. The entire point of science is "well we're pretty sure this is how poo poo works but we could be wrong and the theories and information are always open to further testing and development." A major difference between science and religion is that religion says "this is right, I'm right, end of story, if you disagree you go to hell." Science goes "OK here's a poo poo load of information I gathered and what I think is right, feel free to tear it apart and make sure I'm right."

Generally speaking, the people that went "Stephen Hawking is a moron because he was wrong about something and openly admitted it" don't understand science. Being able to say "Well, turns out I was wrong about some stuff" actually makes Stephen Hawking a good scientist.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

quote:

Brian, it's a fool's errand to argue with a closed-minded person, and I'm not interested in nitpicky semantics to justify it. Are you willing to admit that gravity, an observed phenomenon, could vary with the inverse of r2.00001? Euclidian geometry does not define gravity, and it's close-minded for anyone to imply that it does.--Andy Schlafly 09:11, 15 February 2009 (EST)
Brian, are you open minded enough to admit that maybe everything every scientist ever observed and measured is wrong and that this number I pulled out of my rear end might be correct? If you aren't even willing to admit that everything I say is right despite every proof in contrary I really don't see the point of this discussion.

e: gently caress meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :bang:

quote:

Mr Schlafly, if I may I would like to explain a simulation I ran over a decade ago. Back in high school teachers taught about gravity. I was quick to note that the exponent 2 seemed quite arbitrary and it was the first thing I tried to disprove when I got home. So I took my laptop and ran a couple of simulations. I plotted the paths of several planets around the sun and used different formulas. First with factor 3, then 2.5, then 2.1, 2.01, 2.001, you get the point. I kept going closer to 2. The result was inviariably the same. Planets started to crash into the sun in a single orbit. The patterns were highly irregular and always involved moving through the sun. Only with exponent 2 flat the orbits remained elliptical as observed. I hope this clarifies the discussion. It's open minded to question the formula, it's open minded to test the formula and it's open minded to accept the formula once the tests come in affirmative. Marnick 13:41, 25 February 2010 (EST)

quote:

The orbits crash ... when? The orbits are not going to be significantly different over reasonable periods of time for an exponent that only slightly differs from 2.--Andy Schlafly 13:54, 25 February 2010 (EST)
fact

quote:

At first glance that is the most logical deduction. However I challenge you to run the simulation with any commercial or free physics or mathematic software suite. I'm sure you can give this as a homework assignment to one of your students. The orbits change in very significant ways, and as I said, they are going to move through the sun (not near, exactly through).Marnick 13:56, 25 February 2010 (EST)

quote:

My statement is not merely at "first glance ... the most logical deduction." It is the only logical deduction. It is true with a mathematical certainty, which is why the denial of it is so illustrative of a closed mind.--Andy Schlafly 14:40, 25 February 2010 (EST)
This is true with a mathematical certainty because I used my logic to conclude so. That you disagree with my logic just proves your close mindedness.

quote:

You accuse ME of having a closed mind because I actually looked for evidence? The evidence might not be what you want it to be, but that doesn't make it less true. 2.00000001 will crash the planets into the sun, that's a mathematical and physical fact. I dare you to test it with a simulation, that would really show how open minded you are. Also admitting you're wrong is part of being open minded. I'm correct. Run the tests and admit it. You're so proud of your open mind, this shouldn't be a difficult task, now would it? Really mr Schlafly, run the simulation. As I said, I doubted my teacher so with my open mind I immediatly did some tests. And they confirmed what I learned. Sometimes logical deductions are simply wrong.Marnick 09:16, 26 February 2010 (EST)

quote:

Marnick, it's not necessary or helpful to run a simulation to test a logical truth. One doesn't "look for evidence" that "2+2=4", and your claim that the planets "will crash" into the sun (within a reasonable time) for any value of the exponent slightly different from 2 is mathematically fallacious. For starters, it implies an absurd discontinuity in the limit as the exponent approaches 2. Open your mind, please, and let logic in.--Andy Schlafly 10:39, 26 February 2010 (EST)

A motherfucking engineer. Jesus loving christ!

MeLKoR fucked around with this message at 20:33 on May 8, 2014

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

quote:

As for "prematurely" archived, that is a pretty subjective statement you made. In any event, I heard you were leaving on vacation. I know it will do you a world of good to step back and re-focus your efforts to help. Send us a postcard, bon voyage!

'Perhaps friend it is time for you to take a rest in Siberia. You don't seem to be thinking objectively' :911:

I saw another comment where Andy says the errors in GPS come from 'quantum mechanics', which are totally independent of Einstein's work in relativity.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

MeLKoR posted:

Brian, are you open minded enough to admit that maybe everything every scientist ever observed and measured is wrong and that this number I pulled out of my rear end might be correct? If you aren't even willing to admit that everything I say is right despite every proof in contrary I really don't see the point of this discussion.

fact

This is true with a mathematical certainty because I used my logic to conclude so. That you disagree with my logic just proves your close mindedness.

Not only do I not have to run the simulation, that you actually ran the simulation means you're the close-minded one :suicide:

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
I'm starting to see why Andy hasn't actually worked as an engineer in about 30 years…

Not My Leg
Nov 6, 2002

AYN RAND AKBAR!

Finnankainen posted:

I am seriously shocked that there is a really well supported counter to this idiocy on Conservapedia itself.

Rebuttal to Counterexamples to Relativity

Which contains this excellent line which I suspect Andy believes is wholly sincere and not at all sarcastic.

Andy of course responds with his usual "2+2=4" nonsense.

I love how many of the rebuttals are people trying to figure out what the hell the "counterexample" had to do with relativity.

Rebuttal to Counterexamples to Relativity posted:

22. The double star "W13" weighs "40 times as much as the sun—more than enough to form a black hole. So why is it not a black hole? The only explanation [a leading scientist] can think of ... does not make astrophysical sense."

When physicists encounter something puzzling, their first reaction is usually not to assume that it shows that relativity is wrong.

24. The change in mass over time of standard kilograms preserved under ideal conditions.

We are baffled that anyone would connect this problem with relativity. The non-relativity principle of conservation of mass has been known, in general, for hundreds of years, going back to the time of the alchemists, and has been a fundamental and accurate principle since the 19th century. The principle of conservation of energy has also been a fundamental and accurate principle since the 19th century.

25. The uniformity in temperature throughout the universe.

None of the scientists working in this area seem to doubt the fundamental correctness of relativity.

47. Scientists are unable to explain a June 2012 cluster of earthquakes in Ireland.

This one is even more absurd than the one above about tides. We cannot fathom why anyone would think earthquakes are a counterexample to relativity.

Conservapedia really seems to be hung up on "some scientific result is unexplained, therefore relativity is wrong" and "[scientist] got something wrong or did not himself predict all subsequent developments in a field, therefore every theory associated with [scientist] is wrong." The second one seems to always come up with Einstein and relativity, and Darwin and evolution. Current evolutionary theory is not identical to Darwin's theory, looks like evolution is wrong and the Bible is right. Einstein disagreed with some aspects of quantum mechanics, therefore relativity must be wrong.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates
I want to make a case for why it's actually kinda reasonable to equate Relativity with atheism and moral relativism. The issue lies not (I believe) in the theories themselves, but rather in the conceptual framework that leads to them. The major piece of this framework is that there is no special objective frame of reference from which to view the universe. What this means is that two people can disagree about something as minor as the speed of a train and both are correct. For Andy especially, for whom practically everything has to be split into a Liberal/Conservative dichotomy where Liberal is always objectively wrong and Conservative objectively right, it's easy to see how this would be intolerable. And if two people can both be right about something simple like motion, why not something much more complicated like morality?

Furthermore, think about this from Andy's perspective (ha). He believes that God is an actual person that exists; do you think he'd be okay with claiming that God's perspective on the physical universe is no more privileged and "true" than that of any other being? Because I'm pretty sure that follows from the Principle of Relativity. Does it make sense to trust such a god as a keeper of objective morality?

e: So ultimately that's why Andy doesn't give a poo poo about whether Relativity predicts planetary orbits better or any other thing based on the actual results of the theory. His real problem is the foundational assumption.

Mornacale fucked around with this message at 23:03 on May 8, 2014

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul

MeLKoR posted:

fact

I know Andy Schlafly is functionally a moron, but I didn't realize until now how utterly craven he is. What an incredible intellectual and moral coward.

SixPabst
Oct 24, 2006

MeLKoR posted:

Here's my theory on Andy and his educational background: Andy is just smart enough to realize that if he memorizes some formulas and textbook material and spits them back out at exam time that he'll pass his courses and end up with a degree. Maybe his transition to complete loving idiot occurred later in life but it doesn't really matter. He worked at Intel as a device physicist which makes absolutely no sense in his current state of mind because he'd be fired the minute he tried to argue that the math involved in processor design didn't actually exist and is part of a liberal conspiracy.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

mintskoal posted:

Here's my theory on Andy and his educational background: Andy is just smart enough to realize that if he memorizes some formulas and textbook material and spits them back out at exam time that he'll pass his courses and end up with a degree. Maybe his transition to complete loving idiot occurred later in life but it doesn't really matter. He worked at Intel as a device physicist which makes absolutely no sense in his current state of mind because he'd be fired the minute he tried to argue that the math involved in processor design didn't actually exist and is part of a liberal conspiracy.

I had a conversation, a long one on an overnight bus, with an electrical engineer who was convinced that he'd been electronically tagged and that was why automatic doors opened for him. He also believed that if you ask a question to a guy who works in IT and then ask them another one while they're thinking about the first one, the fact that they can't answer right away was a sign that 1. they were "in virtual reality" to find the answer to the first one and 2. they'd also been electronically tagged. Further, he couldn't seem to differentiate between electronic tagging and tasing. He also believed that overhead power lines caused headaches, and had used his short-term stint on a radio show to "prove" this.

The fact that you have some technical knowledge about how some things fit together and what math goes where does not preclude you from having some hosed up ideas about how other things fit together or why the things you know how to make fit together work the way they do. It also doesn't prevent you from retroactively applying 'new knowledge' to your old knowledge, even if that new knowledge breaks all of the old stuff.

For reference, this guy was retired and seemed to know absolutely nothing about how the internet actually worked. I suspect that computerised systems of all kinds were beyond his ken.

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

This post is hurting the economy!

Somfin posted:

For reference, this guy was retired and seemed to know absolutely nothing about how the internet actually worked. I suspect that computerised systems of all kinds were beyond his ken.

Well that and he seems to be struggling with some form of schizophrenia.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Somfin posted:

The fact that you have some technical knowledge about how some things fit together and what math goes where does not preclude you from having some hosed up ideas about how other things fit together or why the things you know how to make fit together work the way they do.

Everybody knows da red wunz go fasta!

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

mintskoal posted:

Here's my theory on Andy and his educational background: Andy is just smart enough to realize that if he memorizes some formulas and textbook material and spits them back out at exam time that he'll pass his courses and end up with a degree.

This is probably the right one, I've seen Christian internet forums where someone will talk about how they're taking a biology class and are learning about evolution and have to write a paper on it, and the response they'll usually get is "Say what the teacher wants to hear so you can pass the class and then just go on knowing that it's all wrong."

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.
Yeah it pretty much dogfucks the differential equations that describe planetary motion for that exponent not to be exactly two by preventing something that should be canceling out from doing so, I guess Andy also doesn't believe in diff-eqs?

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Scientists, who have been extremely eager to promote the idea of black hole existence, have shown a strong aversion to the white hole theory, even though, like a white hole, a black hole has never been observed directly. This may reflect an anti-creation bias on the part of scientists who are uncomfortable with the idea that matter and energy can be created outside of what scientific theories dictate should happen.
Dr. Russell Humphreys used a white hole in his model of the universe during Creation week to allow millions of years to pass in outer space while only three days passed on Earth.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

killstealing posted:

Dr. Russell Humphreys used a white hole in his model of the universe during Creation week to allow millions of years to pass in outer space while only three days passed on Earth.

I love that bit.
Funny they don't mention what happens to the built up light and poo poo. Or the size of the White Hole itself.

From Rationwiki:

http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/White_hole_cosmology

quote:

The idea requires that the universe outside the solar system is as old as contemporary scientists hold it to be[5] - 13,700,000,000 years.[6] They then say that while all this time passed outside the vicinity of the earth, only six days (creation week) passed on earth. The stars outside the dilation field would still be emitting light towards earth at the same rate which would have to be compressed into six days of time, which would cause celestial objects outside the dilation field to appear roughly 833,416,666,666 times brighter inside the field, raising the surface temperature of the earth to hundreds of thousands of Kelvins.

and

quote:

White hole cosmology states that the black hole from which the universe came from was an even 2 light years across, a nice even number that seems to fit his theory perfectly. The width of Humphrey's black hole would not be such a small pleasant number though.

The black hole according to this theory encompassed all the matter in the observable universe, a number estimated at 3*10^55g.[7] If you have the mass of a black hole you can determine the distance from the singularity to the event horizon using the Schwarzschild equation. Solving the equation with the stated mass gives a Schwarzschild radius of 4.7*10^9 light years

So you solve one problem in your crazy bronze age book, but create two more.

Alien Arcana
Feb 14, 2012

You're related to soup, Admiral.

happyhippy posted:

So you solve one problem in your crazy bronze age book, but create two more.

Ah, but those two problems aren't in the book, so they don't count.

FoiledAgain
May 6, 2007

quote:

White hole cosmology states that the black hole from which the universe came from was an even 2 light years across, a nice even number that seems to fit his theory perfectly. The width of Humphrey's black hole would not be such a small pleasant number though.

Are we really sure that it has to be exactly 2 light years across? What if it is was 2.00000001? Would that really make a difference?

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

FoiledAgain posted:

Are we really sure that it has to be exactly 2 light years across? What if it is was 2.00000001? Would that really make a difference?

Clearly you're not open-minded enough to accept the possibility that it was exactly 2 light years across.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

FoiledAgain posted:

this whole discussion was so loving stupid

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Its only logical that it is precisely 2 light years, are you open minded enough not to do any calculations regarding this issue since you can't contradict logical statements that way which means that any numbers you can come up with are illogical by definition?

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

The Ape of Naples posted:

http://www.conservapedia.com/Talk:Global_Positioning_System

Edit: Also,
http://www.conservapedia.com/Talk:Theory_of_relativity#GPS_and_Relativity

Italics are in the original text. Bolding, is mine. No Nobel Prize? Well, that proves that then.

Lol, from the shitheels that declared the NP meaningless when it was awarded to Obama....I wonder sometimes how many medications some of these people need to be on

FADEtoBLACK
Jan 26, 2007
The first time I ever heard about Conservapedia was when Andy went on the Colbert Report. Steven really did a good job showing this guy acts intelligent, knows the necessary steps needed to sound intelligent, but in the end he isn't all mentally there. Plus that whole "the bible isn't conservative enough" really showed that this was all a joke about extreme denial of reality.

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

I never set out to be weird. It was always other people who called me weird.
I'm sorry, I've been following the thread but I really just need someone to spell it out for me: Why does Andy not believe in black holes again? Is it because they're predicted/supported by the theory of relativity? Do they throw literal 6-day creation into question?

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

Binowru posted:

I'm sorry, I've been following the thread but I really just need someone to spell it out for me: Why does Andy not believe in black holes again? Is it because they're predicted/supported by the theory of relativity? Do they throw literal 6-day creation into question?

Black holes relate back to the theory of relativity -> relativity is one half of the term moral relativity -> moral relativity implies there is no true morality in Andy's mind this means no god -> therefore the theory of relativity can't be accurate -> no black holes.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

SocketWrench posted:

Lol, from the shitheels that declared the NP meaningless when it was awarded to Obama....I wonder sometimes how many medications some of these people need to be on

They declared the Purple Heart null and void because Kerry had one a few.

FoiledAgain
May 6, 2007

Binowru posted:

It's the second part. From the talk page on black holes:

Andy Schlafly posted:

Offhand, I say that science does have a role in predicting whether something exists. But the problem is that atheists and liberals misuse and distort science to pull students away from the Bible and God, and that needs to be exposed and stopped.--Andy Schlafly 23:47, 12 December 2009 (EST)

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse
Yeah, Andy's ilk certainly doesn't distort science to fit their 6 day creation bullshit claim, and i use claim because none of them actually has a complete idea of how the system worked, let alone anything to form a theory or even a hypothesis. Their whole deal boils down to the bible says X, thus X is true and everything else is a liberal lie and we'll twist and misuse science and anything else to prove such while bashing science and anything else

Funny, I'm not seeing anything for "banana theory" there which was their best shot at the whole mess before they were laughed out of the lab.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
What baffles me the most in that theory isn't even that it's a text book example of creating a theory with the results already pre-established, no what baffles me the most is the futility of it all. If outside the bubble everything went exactly like the scientists say it did then whats the point of it all from god's perspective? He still had to set everything up and "wait" for the rest of the universe to reach the point it's at so why bother with that whole thing with our solar system? He could just do what he did everywhere else and get exactly the same results so why bother with this charade? Just to fool us? What for?

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse
To test us, of course. To lead the weaker in belief astray, despite the claim he is an all loving god that wants us all to be saved, despite creating a hell to torture you forever and ordering the deaths of millions when he simply couldn't be bothered to flood the planet again or plague the gently caress out of egypt or something.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah, I know you can come up with all sorts of hollow far fetched justifications that raise even more questions but my point is that not even the people creating this nonsense bother to think this poo poo through. Say what you will about the catholics but at least they try to put some thought into keeping things as consistent as possible withing the constrains of a supernatural belief system. These guys on the other hand try to pass themselves off as some sort of great theologians but they aren't really that good at it.
They not only fail at playing scientist, they fail at being theologians.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

MeLKoR posted:

Yeah, I know you can come up with all sorts of hollow far fetched justifications that raise even more questions but my point is that not even the people creating this nonsense bother to think this poo poo through. Say what you will about the catholics but at least they try to put some thought into keeping things as consistent as possible withing the constrains of a supernatural belief system. These guys on the other hand try to pass themselves off as some sort of great theologians but they aren't really that good at it.

Catholics want science to be a testament to the glory and intricacy of God's amazing creation, an investigation into the methods and nature of God's incredible handiwork.

These people, on the other hand, just don't want to have to think.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

MeLKoR posted:

The entire idea of Biblical literalism, apart from Ussher's calculations (which were laughed out of the academy even in his era), sprang out of a fear of people teaching evolution in schools. Their reasoning always boils back down to fear of science which implies that things were not as they were described in the Bible. When your belief system is structured around fear rather than hope, you end up with some mighty strange reasoning going on.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Somfin posted:

apart from Ussher's calculations (which were laughed out of the academy even in his era)

Some devil's advocacy in defense of Ussher's chronology as reasonable in the context of what was known at the time here: http://www.stephenjaygould.org/library/gould_house-ussher.html

Although even Gould points out that Ussher's sectarian prejudices threw his calculations of the date of creation off by about a month...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mind Loving Owl
Sep 5, 2012

The regeneration is failing! Hooooo...

Somfin posted:

They declared the Purple Heart null and void because Kerry had one a few.

Mothers almost always unconditionally love their children> some of these children will be liberals> a mother's love is worthless and anti conservative.

• Locked thread