Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Watching the stream now, anyone fancy gathering anywhere (steam or even mumble) to comment it? I'm really exited but also worried :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lizardhunt
Feb 7, 2010

agreed ->

Guillermus posted:

Watching the stream now, anyone fancy gathering anywhere (steam or even mumble) to comment it? I'm really exited but also worried :ohdear:

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/fat_old_men

Steam chat would be simple enough. Group is public if anyone isn't already in, and we'd like to use it more often for multiplayer events.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

closeted republican posted:

I'll show you what sucks after I instagib you with a charged Biorifle glob while you have a Shield belt. :colbert:

Biorifle owned on CTF. Don't grab that flag unless you're all clear, kids!

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Hey I'm noticing the UT99 and UT2K4 propaganda is prominent and there's not a UT3 poster to be seen

Good sign???

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
They just announced a new UT game. Apparently, they want to develop the game with the community via things like design decisions.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

New UT will be free and they're talking up mods and comp gaming :awesome:

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

DoombatINC posted:

New UT will be free and they're talking up mods and comp gaming :awesome:

Unfortunately, they're just starting development today. However, you can watch it develop in real-time so :hellyeah:

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
IGN article popped out a little early

Apparently there will be a marketplace for selling custom content. I guess that's going to be where they make their money.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Nice to hear them emphasize "not free-to-play, just free." PC, Mac, and Linux are the platforms.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
Now is the time to make U4E and Nali Weapons officially a part of an Unreal game.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Oh yeah, according to Epic's blog post, the UT series will be 50% off on Steam tomorrow. You know, in case you don't have them and need to atone for that sin.

Messyass
Dec 23, 2003

All of this sounds really awesome and interesting in theory. In theory.

Doctor Shapes
Mar 17, 2009

Ask and ye shall receive.

Messyass posted:

I feel optimistic about it just because of the blatant "let's pretend UT3 never happened" message in the background.

I also think this is interesting because UT has always been a marketing tool for the engines, so it's no surprise at all that they'll also use it as a marketing tool for their new business model. (Whatever it is)

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

closeted republican posted:

They just announced a new UT game. Apparently, they want to develop the game with the community via things like design decisions.

This seems like an awful idea and the game will consist entirely of ponies and ctf_face and pictures like this when the game isn't out next week

Luigi Thirty fucked around with this message at 20:14 on May 8, 2014

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Luigi Thirty posted:

This seems like an awful idea and the game will consist entirely of ponies and ctf_face and pictures like this when the game isn't out next week

Who doesn't want to pay for endless versions of CTF-w00tabulous and CTF-AndAction over and over?

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
I mean you could just not pay for the lovely content and let it languish in the depths of the internet.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

SALT CURES HAM posted:

I mean you could just not pay for the lovely content and let it languish in the depths of the internet.

Basically this. Also, what the hell does Minecraft have in common with the new UT? I'm missing something.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Messyass posted:

Yeah this sounds good, but... development starts today? :rolleyes: Tell us about this in a few months, then. We don't need to know.

But this is a great move. I've been saying for years that Unreal Tournament mostly exists to sell the Unreal engine, so it would only be logical to make it free and get as many people playing it as possible. Then that advertises your engine to everybody for free, plus now you've got all kinds of hobbyists who are familiar with the engine and its modding tools who are entering the game industry and will want to continue to use those tools. That's why Microsoft gives out Office to free for Schools. Hook em when they're young, then you bleed them for money when they're older and employed.

wa27 posted:

Nice to hear them emphasize "not free-to-play, just free." PC, Mac, and Linux are the platforms.

That sounds great on paper until you read:

The Kins posted:

Apparently there will be a marketplace for selling custom content. I guess that's going to be where they make their money.

So what the gently caress Epic? :v: How is that "not free-to-play, just free." ?

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH
Sounds like they want in on those sweet sweet TF2 dollars. I'm pretty okay with that.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Zaphod42 posted:

So what the gently caress Epic? :v: How is that "not free-to-play, just free." ?
Everything developed by Epic will be free, you won't have to pay for COD-style official map packs or Skarrj hats.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

This sounds sweet. I'm sure the base game will include enough playable content to keep it afloat, then if I have my understanding right good modders have an opportunity to make some crowd sourced money for their work.
It sounds weird, but if the game is good I have less issues with paying a modder for a good map than I do paying EA for their monthly dlc pack.

If done right, this is exactly what we need, giving games back to the community.

eSporks fucked around with this message at 20:33 on May 8, 2014

lizardhunt
Feb 7, 2010

agreed ->
It's definitely smart for Epic, I just hope their "community driven design" plan doesn't depend too heavily on the community. Most people don't know what makes games fun, they just know their personal nitpicks. Especially "hardcore gamers" always demand very specific things that might not be the best for a larger audience.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

I'm sure some developers will probably release their maps/models for free, too. I mean, they've been doing it for free since time immemorial (ie: 1999), so while I expect some people are gonna want in on that cash influx, others will just do it because they just like making maps in their spare time that much.

Unless there's some sort of clause stipulating that all custom content will have to cost money, in which case, well, that kinda sucks.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

The Kins posted:

Everything developed by Epic will be free, you won't have to pay for COD-style official map packs or Skarrj hats.

But if they're planning on making money off player made skarj hats, how many official Epic skarj hats do you think they'll bother with?

It just seems really stupid to me to say "heh, we're TOTALLY free to play, unlike those other guys who claim to be free to play but really charge you down the line" and then in the same breath also state "we'll make money by charging for user content"

Like honestly that's even worse! If they were putting out content, they can charge for it, but if its community content they're just approving, that's pretty lazy. Charging for user created content isn't insane (they do have to do QA and whatnot, and it IS their game) but it is insane to charge for user content and deride other game developers for "free-to-play which actually costs money" when you're doing exactly that.

Shadow Hog posted:

I'm sure some developers will probably release their maps/models for free, too. I mean, they've been doing it for free since time immemorial (ie: 1999), so while I expect some people are gonna want in on that cash influx, others will just do it because they just like making maps in their spare time that much.

But what about if

Shadow Hog posted:

Unless there's some sort of clause stipulating that all custom content will have to cost money, in which case, well, that kinda sucks.

Yeah. :smith: We'll see.

I'm imagining its gonna work like CS:GO's community content, where some of it everybody gets free but most of it you have to pay for map packs.

Doctor Shitfaced
Feb 13, 2012
The community maps added to CS:GO are free, you're just paying money to play them specifically in matchmaking. Nothing's stopping you from running a server with them, playing bot matches in them, or doing private lobbies with your friends. It's far, FAR better than what games like CoD do. So no, you aren't paying for most of it, you're choosing to pay for one particular use of it.

EDIT: The official blog post in the Unreal website outright loving says mod makers can just give their poo poo away for free.

Doctor Shitfaced fucked around with this message at 20:54 on May 8, 2014

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you
Oh my god the forums are already a goldmine.

quote:

Forum: Game Development
Epic Games - Please release UT on Xbox One!
Started by MuscledRMH, 05-08-2014 02:30 PM

I believe UT99 Should be on UE4..
Started by StareX, 05-08-2014 02:26 PM

[NEEDED]Art Bible, Core Movement Mechanics
Started by Wastelander, 05-08-2014 02:58 PM

quote:

How to make the new Ubnreal Tournament
1. Port over unreal tournament 2004 game of the year edition.
2. Make it shiny
3 .......
4. Profit!

quote:

Forum: General Discussion
Gameplay in the new Unreal Tournament (decision of UT2004 or UT Classic)
Started by OniRyo, 05-08-2014 02:32 PM

Will there be any tutorials for those of us new to development/mapping.
Started by Fijut, 05-08-2014 02:25 PM

I hate Free as much as i hate F2P
Started by Walder, 05-08-2014 02:18 PM

quote:

Client side shot registration. (Netcode) A Must!
Advanced netcode needs to be built right into the game from the ground up, its what has allowed the remaining communities to play on servers when they may not be close to them.

quote:

Forum: Work in Progress
There are no posts in this forum.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you
Also, you don't get access to the source code unless you have a UE4 account, which is 20$ a month. So all this bullshit about 'development in the open' is literally just that.

lizardhunt
Feb 7, 2010

agreed ->
I assume the content created by the community that turns into paid content will have profits shared with the creators. That would repay subscription costs for talented modders pretty quickly.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

horse mans posted:

Also, you don't get access to the source code unless you have a UE4 account, which is 20$ a month. So all this bullshit about 'development in the open' is literally just that.

except if you looked at it, you can easily pay 20 dollars once, cancel, and then do the same if there's a specific update you really want. The game itself is free, the tools are VERY cheap however!
For me, this is quite possibly the best thing that could have happened. I never cared about the TF2 marketplace as I just never cared about TF2 in general. But this, THIS makes me motivated! Making cool poo poo for UT and getting a little extra money here and there would be really cool!

Diabetes Forecast fucked around with this message at 21:55 on May 8, 2014

Eulisker
Sep 2, 2011

There is a new Humble Weekly Sale happening and it includes System Shock 2.

Also i have a copy of System Shock 2 for one of you: Click!

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Eulisker posted:

There is a new Humble Weekly Sale happening and it includes System Shock 2.

Also i have a copy of System Shock 2 for one of you: Click!

Grabbed that! Thanks.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Zaphod42 posted:

But if they're planning on making money off player made skarj hats, how many official Epic skarj hats do you think they'll bother with?

It just seems really stupid to me to say "heh, we're TOTALLY free to play, unlike those other guys who claim to be free to play but really charge you down the line" and then in the same breath also state "we'll make money by charging for user content"
We obviously won't know until its out, but if its anything like I imagine, everything epic makes will be free. This would hopefully include a robust, fully featured game with various game modes and maps, and possibly continued updates after release. This is all free advertisement for the engine itself and for the marketplace.

The marketplace would then be populated with all optional stuff, new mods, new game types, aesthetic things, maps, all community made. Its different from a "free to play" game because there hopefully will not be any gated content, no having to level up your man, or unlock weapons. Depending on how robust the modding is we may even get some people making large mods that would otherwise be released as stand alone games which would be really cool.
It would be pretty cool to have modding this integrated into a game as well. The game client theoretically being able to keep purchased mods updated and filtering the server browser to show only servers you have the required mods to play on.

If this is pulled off correctly its got a really good chance at shaking up the FPS market. On paper it all sounds like a really great way to combine the oldschool die hard FPS modding community with a modern monetization model. Like I said before, I'd feel much better about giving money to a map making community member than I would to epic.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
I'm pretty sure the idea is that, even if every mod maker made their products paid, you'd still have a solid base game with Epic's content. I'm sure there'll be servers out there that'll only run default content or free custom mods to get a lot of users, so having to pay for certain mods shouldn't be painful for those that don't want to pay.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
I think they're intending for that as a competitor to Quake Live, and then instead of subscription to host servers and unlock more maps, you can pay to get nice custom maps and player models. I don't care too much about exactly how they're going to monetize it, I just want the core gameplay to be as good as 99/2k4 were.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Elliotw2 posted:

I think they're intending for that as a competitor to Quake Live, and then instead of subscription to host servers and unlock more maps, you can pay to get nice custom maps and player models. I don't care too much about exactly how they're going to monetize it, I just want the core gameplay to be as good as 99/2k4 were.

The new UT's model is way better than QL's is. QL often gated famous maps like Dredwerkz behind a subscription in order to entice you to get a subscription, but in practice all it did was piss people off. Epic's model allows you to play their content at any time without any bullshit, which is much better.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
I've been playing Soldier of Fortune lately and apart from some hilariously bad textures it still holds up.

I can handle some blurry, low res texture in my old FPS games but in some misguided effort to make them not so blurry they added an awful filter to everything which is especially noticeable in the Kosovo levels. It almost looks like a stock Photoshop burlap filter applied to everything.

And the game is either not as violent as I remember or I've been desensitized.

Shame SoF2 doesn't work on Win7.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
Sof2 works fine on Win7, I played it literally yesterday. Payback doesn't, but who gives a gently caress about Payback. I will say that I liked SoF1 a lot more than the sequel, it feels a lot faster and the smaller levels make the save restrictions hurt way less.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert

Elliotw2 posted:

Sof2 works fine on Win7, I played it literally yesterday. Payback doesn't, but who gives a gently caress about Payback. I will say that I liked SoF1 a lot more than the sequel, it feels a lot faster and the smaller levels make the save restrictions hurt way less.

I can never launch it. Always give me an error.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Overbite posted:

I've been playing Soldier of Fortune lately and apart from some hilariously bad textures it still holds up.

If you're not shooting every enemy in the balls then you're not playing right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Vakal posted:

If you're not shooting every enemy in the balls then you're not playing right.

Preferably with the shotgun.