Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Westie
May 30, 2013

Baboon Simulator

Billy the Mountain posted:

Close.

$hitb@gof(0(k$

A personal favorite.

Please tell me you told him that over the phone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

Billy the Mountain posted:

Close.

$hitb@gof(0(k$

A personal favorite.

BRB, changing the combination on my luggage saving this for personal use.

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006
[Insert good English here]

Lord Dudeguy posted:

I bounced the Edge box and even threw more CPU horsepower at it. No dice.

I'm wondering if sending the Edge to our DR pool would make a difference. DR phones don't have the beep, but production ones do.

gently caress

After a knock down, drag out :sotw: fight between my boss and I, where I insisted the Edge services were working OK and he begrudgingly started calling Polycom for a possible refund...

... it was the Edge. There were no static routes for our VoIP VLANs on the Edge LAN interface. Wasted a Software Assurance ticket with MSFT to tell me that.

loving hate humble pie. I like the peg that I'm on. gently caress getting taken down a few.

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

Fortis posted:

End users shouldn't be allowed to use the word "down" in tickets.

"The Internet is Down!!"

I... I'm pretty sure people outside of our office would have noticed that.

Or the word hacked. "The system is slow! Check if we've been hacked?"

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Just 'cause you pour syrup on something doesn't make it pancakes!
So a wage review came in.

No increase as expected. I fall below expectations.

This is my surprised face.

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine

sfwarlock posted:

Really any technology vocabulary is going to be misapplied.

"I can't get to this website, I think it's blocked!!"

We check... The site in question is down.

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

Fortis posted:

Really any technology vocabulary is going to be misapplied.

"I can't get to this website, I think it's blocked!!"

We check... The site in question is down.

Oh god, don't remind me. Salesforce poo poo the bed a few days ago and I must have gotten about 30 tickets saying "the internet is down!?!!1" Apparently at least 30 people start their day by going to Salesforce.

Even funnier - and by that I mean not funny at all - is because it was such a disruption, I got called into a meeting to make a project plan to "prevent a reoccurrence". People don't like to hear "there's nothing we can do," even when you bust out the car analogies...

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Did you suggest the simplest solution, which is that your company just buy Salesforce and every middleman between them and your ISP to prevent any similar incidents in the future?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

We're looking at going to Office 365 and if that happens, I rue the day when Office Online is down. I've been here over a decade and we haven't had an email outage longer than 5 minutes in that entire time.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

sfwarlock posted:

Yeserday I had a user call me over to her desk. She had been researching something online when she got a pop-up, panicked and closed it and the window that spawned it, couldn't tell me what the pop-up said or what site she'd been on, but wanted me to "see if her computer had caught a virus".

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009

GreenNight posted:

the day when Office Online is down
We call these "weekdays."

canis minor
May 4, 2011

Knormal posted:

Yeserday I had a user call me over to her desk. She had been researching something online when she got a pop-up, panicked and closed it and the window that spawned it, couldn't tell me what the pop-up said or what site she'd been on, but wanted me to "see if her computer had caught a virus".

The answer is obvious yes. Then proceed to put this flash file of a giant eye on her desktop that will follow her cursor around. "Oh... this, this is so uncommon! Your machine has gained sentience! It's a miracle!". Then try to convince her that she needs to talk to the microphone, to teach the AI about humanity, morality, etc. Abort the experiment when she names her machine Mindy and starts knitting a screen warmer.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

GreenNight posted:

We're looking at going to Office 365 and if that happens, I rue the day when Office Online is down. I've been here over a decade and we haven't had an email outage longer than 5 minutes in that entire time.

Good loving luck

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

go3 posted:

Good loving luck

No poo poo. The local MS resellers keep telling my boss it's like 8 hours of downtime max a year and he's eating that poo poo up.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

blackswordca posted:

"Please provide examples of when I fell below expectations."

"Please provide examples of your expectations."

"Please find the word 'expectations' in a dictionary, then read the definition. I'll wait here."

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
I got fired from my telesales job at comcast in january (I started in December... Yeah..) and have been feeling like poo poo ever since. I keep wondering if I couldn't do that how the gently caress could I do a help desk job (something I've gone an embarrassing number of years of technical school for)?

How hard is this job?

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!

blackswordca posted:

Did you bring up inflation? Ohh god Blackswordca how are you still working there you make me sad :smith:

Billy the Mountain
Feb 3, 2005

I used to be TheRealLuquado

Westie posted:

Please tell me you told him that over the phone.

No, he he. The machine was still pinned in Bomgar so I did it remotely.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

Race Realists posted:

I got fired from my telesales job at comcast in january (I started in December... Yeah..) and have been feeling like poo poo ever since. I keep wondering if I couldn't do that how the gently caress could I do a help desk job (something I've gone an embarrassing number of years of technical school for)?

How hard is this job?

If you're doing something soul-sucking and lovely like phone sales for loving Comcast of all things, then it will destroy you or purify you into the inhuman call center monster you always truly were.

If you are doing a real helpdesk job, in a real place with real people it probably won't be too bad. It might even be enjoyable! It actually feels really good when you help someone with something simple, and they thought it was going to be this huge problem and they get so excited. :allears:

Personally, I hate phone support and call centers in particular. Try to get a deskside support job instead.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
reading dick trauma's posts are not helping :smith:

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
What I've gone through isn't specific to I.T. I've encountered it in several lines of work among varied industries, public sector, private and non-profit.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

GreenNight posted:

It goes down half the day once every month for everyone. Random minor outages 24/7. gently caress Microsoft.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Race Realists posted:

reading dick trauma's posts are not helping :smith:

Keep in mind this thread and the other IT bitching threads are for bitching venting about all the stupid poo poo that happens. People don't post all that much when things are fine or good.

DisMafugga
Apr 29, 2013

Gilok posted:

If you're doing something soul-sucking and lovely like phone sales for loving Comcast of all things, then it will destroy you or purify you into the inhuman call center monster you always truly were.

If you are doing a real helpdesk job, in a real place with real people it probably won't be too bad. It might even be enjoyable! It actually feels really good when you help someone with something simple, and they thought it was going to be this huge problem and they get so excited. :allears:

Personally, I hate phone support and call centers in particular. Try to get a deskside support job instead.

Agreed. The phone is an evil device when it comes to troubleshooting. I will drive across town to push a power button before trying to explain it to someone over the phone. However, the Skitch app makes it possible to show them as well as allowing you to be somewhat of a dickhead with how obvious you make it.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

Galler posted:

Keep in mind this thread and the other IT bitching threads are for bitching venting about all the stupid poo poo that happens. People don't post all that much when things are fine or good.

Notice how my posting went down by a huge margin when I got another job in 2010? Not all IT jobs are crap.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Race Realists posted:

How hard is this job?

I did telesales for three months and helpdesk for three years* and telesales felt longer.
First because in sales you want something from the person on the other end of the phone, in support they want something from you. Plus, if it's an in-house IT department, they know they might have to meet you in real life at some point. You get the occasional jerk, but you're not treated as fair game for abuse every day.
Being part of a team is another part of it. The IT dept I work in are all pleasant, competent guys who help each other out because bad performance reflects badly on all of us. There hasn't been a falling out between any of us in the time I've been here. In sales I didn't have team mates, I had competitors, who would steal my customers and everyone bitched about everyone else.
The telesales pay and hours were terrible and training non-existant. I'm allowed to study during work hours here (time-permitting) and have been sent on courses for cool things like Final Cut video editing.

*Dedicated helpdesk guy for first year, then started doing more interesting stuff while still being main helpdesk guy

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

kensei posted:

On a scale of One to "Oh Dear God No," how badly do I not want to be the SharePoint Administrator?

I know this is from a few pages back, but as a SharePoint service owner I'll say it depends. Is your SharePoint environment a fully funded separate service which is staffed accordingly with admin, dev, dba and support staff? Or was it cobbled together with a few servers you had laying around that started as a POC then became the production environment for 1000s of users? SharePoint done right is a good product and good career option, but if you half-rear end it you get half-rear end results and you want to stay away.

Feel free to PM me if you want to chat.

Feral Bueller
Apr 23, 2004

Fun is important.
Nap Ghost

Slate Slabrock posted:

I'm the boss in our office and I have been trying to beat this into my team. "If there's no ticket, there's no problem." And they just do not get it. "It makes us look bad. It's not customer friendly." Well, it's not metric friendly either because the tickets we open to ourselves don't count for some dumb reason. So when our director looks at just the time worked instead of number of tickets closed, he's going to decide that we don't need as many techs.

I've never had to write someone up, but I guess I'm going to over this.

Take it to the next level: single point of contact.

If the email isn't sent to help@ (or IT@) then the incident doesn't exist.

- You can easily set it up as a funnel to your ticketing system.
    - It trivializes metrics-gathering.
    - It takes the pressure off of your team.

It also gets your team to stop being co-dependent: if the work isn't processed through the new, user-friendly, easy to use process, write them up. Usually only have to do it with the one person who goes on vacation for a week and has a VIP incident sitting in their email because they haven't followed the new process to get everyone on your team following the process going forward.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I enjoy really lovely webapps that our business office needs to use that require Java 1.6 to work properly. I enjoy lovely webapps in general. lovely webapps for everything!

Billy the Mountain
Feb 3, 2005

I used to be TheRealLuquado

Fabricated posted:

I enjoy really lovely webapps that our business office needs to use that require Java 1.6 to work properly. I enjoy lovely webapps in general. lovely webapps for everything!

I just LOVE the fact that every time there is a Java update we get inundated with dozens of tickets about how the Sonicwall SSL VPN RDP sessions stop working across multiple clients.

No, I didn't really want to see my family this week, I'll be more than happy to sit at my computer at home during dinner time and remotely help you get your poo poo working from home.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

A user posted:

Oh bless you…thanks so much…

Have a great weekend.

What I did was flick the switch on the surge protector under her desk. Now her monitor works again! I am clearly a sorcerer.

DisMafugga
Apr 29, 2013

Oh, that game from that time when you were doing that thing? Sure, we have that.

:bang:

Lightning Jim
Nov 18, 2006

Just a mad weather-ologist :science:

Fabricated posted:

How about ones where they're not only Java 1.6 dependent, but IE8 dependent as well. Better than IE6 but still.

At least recently they finally stated they're working to update us to the next version which has multiple browser support and supports newer IE as well.

Of course one of the house-developed apps blocks Firefox with a redirect. User Agent switcher to IE shows it works JUST FINE with Firefox, but obviously they want to refuse to support it. I think they've forgotten about Chrome since it also works just fine without a redirect.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

DisMafugga posted:

Oh, that game from that time when you were doing that thing? Sure, we have that.

:bang:
That subject line, ugh. I've taken to renaming tickets with meaningful names when they come in, since half of them are "Question" or "Issue"

DisMafugga
Apr 29, 2013

The subject line irks me beyond belief. However, I'll take a single "?" over the dreaded "?????????????". :argh:

DisMafugga fucked around with this message at 17:47 on May 9, 2014

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Gilok posted:

What I did was flick the switch on the surge protector under her desk. Now her monitor works again! I am clearly a sorcerer.
People in the office seem to have no control over their feet, so when my help desk slave coworker sets up a computer he always makes sure all cables are bundled up in the cable tray, otherwise people WILL kick and snag the cables with their feet and destroy the connectors.

hirvox
Sep 8, 2009

tomapot posted:

Sharepoint
There's also a megathread for it.

I'm mostly involved in Sharepoint development, but occassionally I get called in to diagnose issues in production environments. A properly configured and maintained environment is a pretty useful thing to have, but occasionally things just.. rot, for the lack of a better word. Basic stuff just breaks without any logical cause, and getting under the hood to figure out what went wrong might require tools like ILSpy and/or Reflector. And what you'll see won't be pretty; Sharepoint is one of those products where the vendor has just added layers upon layers of new code on top of old. Even in SP 2013, there's COM+ and ActiveX somewhere under the hood.

The most common mistake seems to be insufficient data organization. If you have dozens of gigabytes of data or more, you better have them in multiple site collections. The worst example I've seen personally involved a 700+GB site collection with user management done solely with Sharepoint groups. The environment was slow as molasses, search was completely broken and you couldn't even assign ACLs to items anymore.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

hirvox posted:

The most common mistake seems to be insufficient data organization. If you have dozens of gigabytes of data or more, you better have them in multiple site collections. The worst example I've seen personally involved a 700+GB site collection with user management done solely with Sharepoint groups. The environment was slow as molasses, search was completely broken and you couldn't even assign ACLs to items anymore.

Uh oh. We're supporting a client that sounds exactly like this...

What are your rates?

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

DisMafugga posted:

The subject line irks me beyond belief. However, I'll take a single "?" over the dreaded "?????????????". :smithicide:

Hey hey hey, be polite and trigger warning that poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

hirvox posted:

There's also a megathread for it.

I'm mostly involved in Sharepoint development, but occassionally I get called in to diagnose issues in production environments. A properly configured and maintained environment is a pretty useful thing to have, but occasionally things just.. rot, for the lack of a better word. Basic stuff just breaks without any logical cause, and getting under the hood to figure out what went wrong might require tools like ILSpy and/or Reflector. And what you'll see won't be pretty; Sharepoint is one of those products where the vendor has just added layers upon layers of new code on top of old. Even in SP 2013, there's COM+ and ActiveX somewhere under the hood.

I PM'd tomapot, and have bookmarked that thread. Thanks!

• Locked thread