Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

:stonkhat:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McSpatula
Aug 5, 2006
Please say, those are the original tires that came with the vehicle 30 years ago. :allears:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Mother of christ. :monocle:

treasured8elief
Jul 25, 2011

Salad Prong
Why are bubbles in a tire so horrible? Are they bad because scraping against stuff can make a flat super easily, or do your tires just look bad and old with bubbles?

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

tentative8e8op posted:

Why are bubbles in a tire so horrible? Are they bad because scraping against stuff can make a flat super easily, or do your tires just look bad and old with bubbles?

because if you mess with them, say, by going near the tire to deflate it, they might violently explode and maim you; there's no way to tell.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
How do you safely deflate them? Driving over a spike strip?

geonetix
Mar 6, 2011

Platystemon posted:

How do you safely deflate them? Driving over a spike strip?

With a sniper rifle, in the desert, at a mile's distance basically.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Not quite that drastic, but yes, shooting it from a distance behind cover is the preferred way.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I didn't realize this was so common. Maybe I should start a business making bomb disposal robots for pokin' tires with.

DonutFuckers™

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Honestly if I had a tire shop I'd probably just get a 10 foot piece of steel pipe, tack weld a 16d framing nail to the end, and poke em from around the side of the car while wearing ear/eye protection.

Not really that concerned by one unless it's real close to me... or real big, like that mining dumptruck picture that's been posted. gently caress everything about that.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

Whatever the bomb disposal method, the important thing to remember is that it must be recorded. For safety purposes, of course.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Eh for a passenger car tire I've done a few like that and they're generally fine as long as you don't poke em. Take out the valve core. I did poke one once though and ended up on my rear end.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

13 INCH DICK posted:

Eh for a passenger car tire I've done a few like that and they're generally fine as long as you don't poke em. Take out the valve core. I did poke one once though and ended up on my rear end.

Where's the kaboom? There was supposed to be an earth-shattering kaboom!

BabyMauler
Sep 19, 2005

kastein posted:

Where's the kaboom? There was supposed to be an earth-shattering kaboom!

Cant hear anything without ear drums!

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

Is this the inverse of trypophobia?

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Take cover behind a wall of sandbags and shoot it with a BB gun.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

kastein posted:

Honestly if I had a tire shop I'd probably just get a 10 foot piece of steel pipe, tack weld a 16d framing nail to the end, and poke em from around the side of the car while wearing ear/eye protection.

Not really that concerned by one unless it's real close to me... or real big, like that mining dumptruck picture that's been posted. gently caress everything about that.

Ever speared something that was charging at you? Trust me, you don't want to be holding whatever you pop that with, as it's going to be going the opposite direction at a high rate of speed shortly.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
This obviously calls for a LASER.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Liquid Communism posted:

Ever speared something that was charging at you? Trust me, you don't want to be holding whatever you pop that with, as it's going to be going the opposite direction at a high rate of speed shortly.

Easy enough to avoid though. Behold my MSPaint skills.

solarNativity
Nov 11, 2012

Platystemon posted:

This obviously calls for a LASER.

This could totally work with a laser of sufficient power. Tires are made to handle heat, sure, but the black rubber will allow you to heat a specific spot until it pops. You could even have a ballistic shield with a small laser-hole to hide behind.

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

Liquid Communism posted:

When I worked in a warehouse, a co-worker popped the tire of a fully-loaded truck with one of the blades of his forklift. It basically blew him out of his seat and gave him permanent hearing damage. We all thought a propane tank or something had exploded.

subx
Jan 12, 2003

If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

Aside from the "how to pop it" talk, how the gently caress does this even happen? I've seen bubbles before, but wouldn't one weak point generally prevent the formation of others (as in excess air pressure and stress is going to build up on the original weak point, not create new ones).

This had to be intentional.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

subx posted:

Aside from the "how to pop it" talk, how the gently caress does this even happen? I've seen bubbles before, but wouldn't one weak point generally prevent the formation of others (as in excess air pressure and stress is going to build up on the original weak point, not create new ones).

Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.

subx
Jan 12, 2003

If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

Das Volk posted:

Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.

I meant intentional in the "Hold my beer, watch this!" sense of the word.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

wolrah posted:

Easy enough to avoid though. Behold my MSPaint skills.

Exactly. Except I'd be hunched down behind the bumper of the other end of the car leaning just far enough out to get my pokey stick situated, then stabbing the egg without having anything but my arms out past the side of the car.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I'd want to be as wide of the tire as possible, because once that bubble pops all the pressure is going to shoot more or less perpendicular to the sidewall.

Though I probably wouldn't be stabbing the bubble anyways. Impale the tire somewhere else and I'd guess you could get a more controlled deflation.

Or maybe a really long set of bolt cutters and clip the head off the valve stem.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!

subx posted:

Aside from the "how to pop it" talk, how the gently caress does this even happen?

Old tire with and old person curbing it.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Also based off of my experience with tires covered in titties like that, to have that many tells me it was run flat, the inside of the sidewall turned into rubber mulch, they aired it back up to roll it to the shop and there you go. It's too numerous, consistent, and all over that I find curbing or sabotage unlikely.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Also I just remembered I had pictures from the event I was talking about! Apologies for the quality, these were takin in 2006 with an ancient camera phone back when I first started at wheel works. For some reason we don't have a shot of the after. This was on a F250 diesel with a massive camper shell.

Oh, youth :allears:

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

subx posted:

To add to what 13 INCH DICK said, it's not excess pressure that creates the bulges. There's 2 layers of tire rubber, the reinforced inner liner and the outer, more elastic rubber. The inner liner degrades/gets worn through for whatever reason, air slips through it and into the gap between inner and outer, the outer layer expands to accommodate it (usually in a gap between steel belts), there you go.

The rubber bulging in one spot doesn't prevent the inner liner from developing a hole in another, so that's how you wind up with multiple tumors like that.

I'd agree that it was a flat that got re-inflated after sitting/driving flat for a while.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

The other thing is that pressures and sizes vary significantly.

Passenger car: 32psi, dinky little tire/wheel combo you can pick up with a few fingers at most. Stand to the side with ear/eyepro and stab a loving hole in it. Leave it bolted to the car so it doesn't decide to go flying around at random.

Light duty truck: 35psi probably unless they're running 50 or 75 or something in a big one ton with heavy tires for towing. Same story, but use a pole.

Medium/heavy duty truck: probably 70+ psi, big rear end tire, big rear end rim. I aint loving with that thing if it has a tumor, go curb the drat thing again and hope it pops.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

35 psi is enough to kill if you get hit with all of it, it only takes 5 psi to rupture an ear drum.

Now obviously when you stand next to a tire and pop it you're going to get less than that because the pressure is going to rapidly fall off with distance but it's still not something you want to gently caress around with. I like the sniper rifle solution.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

if you're going to stand next to the tire to pop it, why not try the valve stem?

SocketSeven
Dec 5, 2012

Jonny Nox posted:

if you're going to stand next to the tire to pop it, why not try the valve stem?

Well sure you can do that, if you want to be a wuss about it. :colbert:

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Jonny Nox posted:

That's what we always did in my shop (well, except one tire my idiot redneck service manager jumped in front of me and stabbed it with his knife; he didn't do that again).

I always unscrewed the schrader, both for that and for normal deflation, but some of my coworkers would grab the stem with a pair of pliers and just yank them out. That was fun the first time each one in turn discovered that some manufacturers put the TPMS sensor on the end of a rubber valve stem. :mmmhmm:

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

13 INCH DICK posted:

Also I just remembered I had pictures from the event I was talking about! Apologies for the quality, these were takin in 2006 with an ancient camera phone back when I first started at wheel works. For some reason we don't have a shot of the after. This was on a F250 diesel with a massive camper shell.

Oh, youth :allears:

Holy poo poo dude, that last picture left me cringing.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah we thought it'd just make a loud bang, I don't remember if we ever found that reamer :allears:

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
This thread makes me want to just order one of those stupidly powerful/dangerous green lasers, just in case.

Edit: drat, I thought the green one was the evil one.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 02:09 on May 9, 2014

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Godholio posted:

This thread makes me want to just order one of those stupidly powerful/dangerous green lasers, just in case.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CG-AMqtxe7U

Blue/Violet works better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
Order soon, there is proposed regulation capping personal lasers at 500mw or something like that.