Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hexa
Dec 10, 2004

And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom
Can anyone remember the story about that company that threatened to move to Switzerland over taxes, did so and then moved back because its bankers hated living there? Need it for an argument!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

glitchkrieg posted:

Can anyone remember the story about that company that threatened to move to Switzerland over taxes, did so and then moved back because its bankers hated living there? Need it for an argument!

http://uk.reuters.com/article/2012/10/12/uk-brevanhoward-geneva-london-idUKBRE89B0LO20121012

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

It should be noted that lots of companies moved back to the UK right around then, because the rules on taxing foreign operating companies within the EU changed, so while their bankers may not have liked life in the alps, it almost certainly had more to do with a sudden lack of a financial advantage.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

SybilVimes posted:

We might not buy the paper, but we will share it with our social networks as a 'look how stupid these fucks are' thing, and there may be some in our network that DO then buy it or spend the next hour reading their other articles.
oh god what have i done

quote:

Before you say 'but that won't happen, we're all lefties', the fact that we're talking about links posted to this thread is proof of how it works as they intend - to deny there are right wing posters in this thread would be absurd, so someone sees something ridiculous on their FB feed or something from the mail, posts it here, and who knows, out of the 2000 people that read this thread, maybe 50 of them spend an hour reading the mail's other articles, and sharing the 'more rational' ones with their (presumed right wing) social network.
To those people I say :frogout:

quote:

Even if those 50 don't exist, advertisers don't really care THAT much if a person is left or right leaning, so those 2000 people clicking on the link to be outraged still get exposed to B&Q's latest sale items, or whatever.
See: any article by Samantha Brick etc. The Mail definitely utilises clickbait wherever possible to goad as many people to respond as possible. To be fair the Guardian does something very similar with CiF headlines.

hexa
Dec 10, 2004

And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom
Wicked, thanks KKKlean Energy and SybilVymes!

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

"I'm not racist. I love multicultural London, even though it has downsides like knife crime and sex rings."

- a Ukip supporter

:negative:

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Kegluneq posted:

oh god what have i done

The Mail definitely utilises clickbait wherever possible to goad as many people to respond as possible. To be fair the Guardian does something very similar with CiF headlines.

3 links on the Guardian CiF page right now this minute:

Is misogyny worse now than before the internet? We asked five feminists whether sexism has become more prevalent in the digital age, or simply more visible

Yes I was guilty, but I was prosecuted on the basis of Constance Briscoe's deception
The legal system reached the right conclusion, but for the wrong reasons – the process was flawed

Would you wear socks with sandals? As summer sales of socks rocket, celebrities are choosing to pair them with sandals – and Guardian fashion editor Jess Cartner-Morley advocates the look. But will you be wearing socks with sandals this summer?

"Comment is free but facts are sacred" - C.P. Scott

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!
Drove past a UKIP billboard today that had a picture of a panhandling construction worker, and the tagline "Take control of your country," which I read out loud in a Bane voice while imagining Farage blowing up Wembley Stadium. The ensuing conversation kept me and my passenger going until we hit work.

UKIP may not be comic book villains, but they apparently do share rhetoric.

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

Not Operator posted:

Drove past a UKIP billboard today that had a picture of a panhandling construction worker, and the tagline "Take control of your country," which I read out loud in a Bane voice while imagining Farage blowing up Wembley Stadium. The ensuing conversation kept me and my passenger going until we hit work.

Well, he has said that if they get in power *he personally* will blow up all the wind turbines in the UK.

Private Eye
Jul 12, 2010

Don't be so bloody gay, Cambo

Gonzo McFee posted:

Saw James Dingleberry talk and you can't let that pass without posting this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0wmuhKzYp4s

James Delinglpole: A loving idiot who openly admits he doesn't know a thing about the things he believes. Amazing what a bunch of connections can do for an utter idiot.

He's pretty representative of most climate change skeptics I run into.

quote:

I don't have the time or the scientific expertise to read peer-reviewed journals, so I leave that to the people that do have the time and the expertise to do the science and read the journals, and on their interpretation *Then I ignore 95% of those same people*

It's a recurring theme.

quote:

well i don't know enough about the science behind it but.....

Well then why the gently caress are you arguing with someone that does have a grasp of the science behind it?

Argument from authority is one thing, argument from experienced people who spend their lives studying this thing and independently reach a consensus is another.

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

I'm hoping that UKIP are just a front for the establishment/nWo. Having seen that their 3 current fronts are out no longer viable they are now bringing a new player to the fore. Once in power the UKIP leadership will turn out to be as liberal as the rest just with more smoking, binge drinking and 'bantz'.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Not Operator posted:

Wasn't there an article that the model in that ad is Irish?

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Jedit posted:

"I'm not racist. I love multicultural London, even though it has downsides like knife crime and sex rings."

- a Ukip supporter

I thought UKIP voters were the type who loved old Jimmy. :pwn:

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

Jedit posted:

- a Ukip supporter

Pictured, typical immigrant.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

SybilVimes posted:

Pictured, typical immigrant.

They never caught Saucy Jack, so how do you know he wasn't an immigrant?

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

Jedit posted:

They never caught Saucy Jack, so how do you know he wasn't an immigrant?

Well, there was one polish jewish immigrant suspect (oh god, they'd love that) but I think the general belief was that he was one of our natives due to knowledge of london, his english in the letters, and the presumed link to medicine

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

SybilVimes posted:

Well, there was one polish jewish immigrant suspect (oh god, they'd love that) but I think the general belief was that he was one of our natives due to knowledge of london, his english in the letters, and the presumed link to medicine

So Jack the Ripper was an Indian doctor working a second job as a taxi driver?

Touchdown Boy
Apr 1, 2007

I saw my friend there out on the field today, I asked him where he's going, he said "All the way."

SybilVimes posted:

These articles are click bait, the premise is that they know 100k, 120k, 250k is an 'absurd' amount to be saying 'we're poor' with, they want you to be outraged that someone could be so out of touch, and thus click on the link, then share it with all your friends.

Possibly true, but I dont think the guy they interviewed cares a jot about clickbait, even if the newspapers do. I reckon he really does think he is hard done by.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

If anyone wants tag-team shitbags, remember Grant Shapps and Big Nige are on Question Time tonight :toot:

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

SybilVimes posted:

Well, he has said that if they get in power *he personally* will blow up all the wind turbines in the UK.

He can replace the energy loss with lots of new gas power stations fueled personally by his good friend: Lord Putin of the non-gay kingdom of Russia, overseer of the free non EU states.

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

Regarde Aduck posted:

He can replace the energy loss with lots of new gas power stations fueled personally by his good friend: Lord Putin of the non-gay kingdom of Russia, overseer of the free non EU states.

Nope, fracking for everyone if UKIP get in, he loves the stuff.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Guess who UKIP have been getting to deliver their leaflets.
http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2014/05/08/ukip-leaflets-eastern-europeans-cheap_n_5288745.html?1399566220

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
I'm not surprised in the least, but loving hell :laffo:

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Holy poo poo.

quote:

“Ultimately what this is doing is highlighting the problem we’re trying to raise, which is this company is having to employ Eastern Europeans because they are not allowed to employ people from outside the EU.”
Now I understand. Eastern Europeans are still in the EU and thus too expensive, UKIP want to open the doors to the rest of the world so that they can deliver leaflets for the cheapest price possible.

Greyish Orange
Apr 1, 2010

Lord Twisted posted:

Edit: also on the subject of missed appointments and fines, I think SOMETHING is needed. Even if it's just text alerts and guilt calls. Yes £160m as someone pointed out is not proportionally a huge amount but you can't put a price on wasting the already pressured time of a GP and then expecting the entitlement of a no-consequences reschedule, having hosed up if you don't have a valid excuse (E. G. The person who got the date wrong - yeah it's not malicious, but it's still a gently caress up).

Perhaps if you repeat offend with no valid reasons they levy a penalty on your bookings. Seems reasonable to me. If you can't respect the service being provided then you have to pay for it.

A fine for something like that might be worth it, of course there needs to be consideration that enforcement might be more costly than the Revenue from the fines.

Charging flatly for appointments won't work as it will just make people go to A&E which is already laughably overstretched.

It could work, it really depends.

I've been suffering with depression/anxiety and missed appointments through not being able to physically let them know, for reasons, other times I've stopped appointments through feeling well enough to not go.

"Nothing is wrong with me, I'm fine"

If appointments were charged for on a flat rate I wouldn't have gone in the first place, since I'm unemployed due to it. Charging for missed appointments wouldn't have made me book for it because I would miss it anyway, wouldn't I?

I'm on a better track now, although it's not just a one fits all solution.

DroneRiff
May 11, 2009

As an NHS bod (secondary care, with a specific interest in outpatient appointment provision) I can say this charging for appointment/DNAs stuff is a terrible idea on so many fronts.

Not just because you're likely to discriminate against those who need them most but also because it will have no benefit to other patients or the NHS as a whole.

Oh yes it needs more funding, but not like that. Any rate "they" could bring would be well below the cost of an appointment. Would probably cause a bigger admin cost to process it all than the money you'd get.

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011
I'm guessing that the proposal is as much a case of 'if we set fire to the government's shoes, maybe they'll do something' as anything. The problem is that it assumes an ethical government that will intervene before the GPs screw over the sick & needy.

e: on second thoughts, I don't think this is it - the GPs *have* to know that this gambit didn't work for the dentists, and just hosed over the teeth of pretty much everyone without money; and in fact, the knowledge that this happened is probably something that makes it all the more heinous that any 'doctor' would even suggest it.

SybilVimes fucked around with this message at 21:59 on May 8, 2014

DroneRiff
May 11, 2009

Sadly GP leadership has (to my understanding) failed the profession a lot in recent years, hence things like this. GPs don't really want it and as you say, a sort of show to fore the government's hand just isn't going to work. But it's very much in the interest of those who want to privitise even more of the NHS.

Force the idea, make the public think GPs want it, discredit GPs, pull the system down, put up private system, profit from the public. Bastards.

Edit: This is a rather cynical veiw I know but the threat is there and I wouldn't put it past people to try this sort of thing. Re-Nationalise the NHS, rarr soap box talk!

DroneRiff fucked around with this message at 22:11 on May 8, 2014

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Minimum wage: Latvia €1.90 an hour, equivalent to £1.58 an hour. UK £6.31 an hour, 4 times Latvia’s.

Latvian workers don’t have financial commitments like mortgages to pay for.

Some are multi-occupying to keep living costs down. Some are claiming in-work benefits like tax credits and housing benefit…and possibly child benefit for dependent children living in Latvia.

So Latvian migrants earning the UK minimum wage can be better off by over 4 times, and in some cases, 5 or 6 times, than in their own country.

Free movement within a Union of 28 wildly divergent countries, specially between east and west, has been a disaster. specially for those un-/low-skilled workers who are being displaced.

Many east European workers are organised by gang-masters who take a cut from their wages.

And the wage differential is even greater between the UK and other EU countries. The UK’s minimum wage is 8 times Romania’s and 9 times Bulgaria’s.

So maybe the Latvian workers will be replaced by migrants from those countries at some point in this race to the bottom. The gang-masters’ cut would be even bigger.

Farage and UKIP are right to want to stop uncontrolled EU immigration …it is destroying the employment prospects, wages and living standards of large numbers of British workers.

And this latest piece of anti-Ukip nonsense won‘t change that fact.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

C'mon Nige, your on live telly soon. Shake a leg, or we'll put a rombuldarlatmanian on instead.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall
I want to know why people who write things like that genuinely cannot understand cost of living.

e; I'm going to go watch the Higgins minimum wage speech again. The part where he points out that Irelands minimum wage is only highest in raw numbers but then drops off a cliff thanks to high cost of living has the best reaction shots :allears:

Spangly A fucked around with this message at 22:21 on May 8, 2014

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Spangly A posted:

I want to know why people who write things like that genuinely cannot understand cost of living.

The people of the UK ARE PAID TOO MUCH all the SCROUNGERS and FOREIGNERS are STEALING.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

DroneRiff posted:

Sadly GP leadership has (to my understanding) failed the profession a lot in recent years, hence things like this. GPs don't really want it and as you say, a sort of show to fore the government's hand just isn't going to work. But it's very much in the interest of those who want to privitise even more of the NHS.

My experience of primary care suggests that the sort of GPs who want to be in charge of things are the sorts of GPs most sane people wouldn't want in charge of things.
They're the kind who spend more time working out how to maximise their income than thinking of how they can benefit their patients.

Obviously exceptions exist, but I'd guess that more than half of the CCGs are run by total shithead GPs.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

Actually, quick question, with UKIP saying about immigration discriminated against New Zealand, Canada, etc for braain wizardry, what is the policy for immigration from commonwealth countries? Or is that just a loose trade agrrement and a club of the Queen's mates?

Betjeman
Jul 14, 2004

Biker, Biker, Biker GROOVE!

Nonsense posted:

The people of the UK ARE PAID TOO MUCH all the SCROUNGERS and FOREIGNERS are STEALING.

You're foreign

tdrules
Jan 12, 2014
Gone home for the weekend, watching Question Time with my drunk Dad shouting at politicians. Rule Britannia.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
What the gently caress is going on with newsnight. It's like they wanted to do a bit about how lovely life expectancy is in poor areas, comparable to certain areas of Mexico, but figured people couldn't take it so decided to give it a football disguise.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

tdrules posted:

Gone home for the weekend, watching Question Time with my drunk Dad shouting at politicians. Rule Britannia.

'Tis our special way. Looks like loads of UKIP plants in the audience, and Nige is doing quite well (worringly)

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

Trickjaw posted:

Actually, quick question, with UKIP saying about immigration discriminated against New Zealand, Canada, etc for braain wizardry, what is the policy for immigration from commonwealth countries? Or is that just a loose trade agrrement and a club of the Queen's mates?

NZ citizens do not automatically have the right to come and live/work in the UK for more than a few months. They can come over very easily if they have a parent or grandparent who is or was a UK citizen. If not, they will need to have a job already lined up, be very rich (or potentially about to become very rich), be young and looking to take a working holiday, or be in a long term relationship with a UK citizen who has enough money to support them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twoot
Oct 29, 2012

kingturnip posted:

My experience of primary care suggests that the sort of GPs who want to be in charge of things are the sorts of GPs most sane people wouldn't want in charge of things.
They're the kind who spend more time working out how to maximise their income than thinking of how they can benefit their patients.

Obviously exceptions exist, but I'd guess that more than half of the CCGs are run by total shithead GPs.

I don't know about CCGs, but according to my mum (a GP) in general there are two types of people in GP management;

- The careerist types that you mentioned; usually have decided they don't much like patient interaction; beeline for management positions; a large minority are totally insufferable.

- The sad cases; would rather remain in patient contact; have at some point in their career accepted some form of management responsibility and have since had more and more roles piled onto them as other people have quit. These folk are usually just treading water and are quite naive.

In around 5-10 years a huge number of the later group are going to retire and things are going to get very complicated.

• Locked thread