Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot

caiman posted:

Eh, I guess that's an option too. I have a Spotify premium subscription, but I mostly think of it as a way to try out new music before I buy it. The best I can get is 320kps. Not bad, but it's no CD/Vinyl/FLAC. I also don't currently have the ability to play it in my car, but that's something I could solve.

wow ok if 320 isn't "good enough" (hahaha) buy CDs and rip the FLACs yourself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

stay depressed posted:

most new things come with download codes and those codes provide high quality mp3s. i don't know where you're getting "piss poor" legal mp3s from online. if it's a download code from the label or from bandcamp you can't really get bad quality files. if it doesn't have a download code, pirate it. if you can't pirate it in good quality (you can, look harder) buy it on bandcamp/iTunes/CD

The few MP3s I've downloaded from Amazon have all been < 320kps. But maybe they're the exception.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Ras Het posted:

If your ears are so delicate that you find mp3s offensive, then yes, you are in a conundrum, but in a totally silly first-world-problem one.

They're not offensive, I just like having the best quality possible.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

caiman posted:

They're not offensive, I just like having the best quality possible.

You should probably just be buying cd's then. The vinyl might be the weak link in your chain, more often than not. Meaning, a cheap CD player sounds better than a cheap record player (I'm not even convinced that an expensive record player actually sounds better than a cheap CD player). So if it's not I'd love to see your gear!

Personally, I like having some things that I can only listen to in my music room (I guess cassettes are the only things I can only listen to there, now), and the room where I listen to stuff the most in I only have a turntable so it kinda forces me to listen to whatever dumb records I have up there at the moment. Being able to listen to everything, everywhere is fine and all but it's not necessary.

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot
i definitely appreciate the humor in wanting things to be the best quality possible in a vinyl thread

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

I should clarify then: I want my digital files to sound as good as digital can possibly sound, and I want my vinyl to sound like vinyl.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

caiman posted:

The few MP3s I've downloaded from Amazon have all been < 320kps. But maybe they're the exception.
That's because 320 offers no quality benefit over the best VBR algorithms. For the most part, 320kbps partisanship is more due to superstition and ignorance than anything else. FLAC makes a little more sense as an archival format, but in a practical sense you will not be able to tell the difference during playback.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

caiman posted:

I should clarify then: I want my digital files to sound as good as digital can possibly sound, and I want my vinyl to sound like vinyl.

I get the instinct, but you might want to evaluate the quality of the sound system in your car and attached to your computer before you insist on FLAC or nothin'. If you have stock speakers in your Geo Metro and you're running an ipod through the 1/8" AUX port, the fidelity of the file might not be as important as you think it is.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker
If you really are looking for "best that digital can sound", then repurchase everything from HD Tracks.

I record all of my vinyl. It can be a bit of a time sink to do it "properly" (a very subjective qualifier) but it's worth it to me.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Cheesus posted:

I record all of my vinyl. It can be a bit of a time sink to do it "properly" (a very subjective qualifier) but it's worth it to me.

How's the quality of your vinyl ripped music? What turntable and software do you use?

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

caiman posted:

How's the quality of your vinyl ripped music? What turntable and software do you use?

Any turntable can be used to transfer music digitally. All you have to do is get an RCA to 1/8 jack Y-adapter and plug that into your sound card. Audacity is a good program for this and is free to download.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Blue Raider posted:

What's up vinyl thread. I have a few 12' LPs that I've acquired over the years, and I recently was given a Magnavox stereo similar to this one:

There are a few differences between this one and mine, most prominently a vertical (!) CD player and a plastic, hinged cover for the turntable.

Is this thing worth a drat sound-wise, or should I invest in a standalone table?

The unit in the picture seems to have an Audio Technica pick-up which means it's not the worst thing possible. Of course if one of the differences you mentioned is the cartridge, it may be the worst thing possible.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

caiman posted:

I just like having the best quality possible.

I think once you start listening to the best quality music possible, then you stop worrying about the record fidelity.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Ras Het posted:

I think once you start listening to the best quality music possible, then you stop worrying about the record fidelity.
Haha, this is pretty insufferable even for you :)

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

caiman posted:

The quality is great but not quite the "perfection" I aspire to. My inspiration is still PBThal's amazing rips but based on my understanding of his equipment and techniques, I'd need to expend more money and effort.

My equipment is a SL-MK1200MK2 with a AT440MLA cartridge and a Sound Blaster X-Fi USB pre-amp.
Before recording, I clean records with a Spin-Clean.
I use Goldwave to record, editing, and split tracks.
Between recording and splitting, I use DeNoiseLF and ClickRepair from http://www.clickrepair.net/.

Overall time is:
album length (recording)
~15 minutes for post-recording processing
album length (listen, verify)

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

het posted:

That's because 320 offers no quality benefit over the best VBR algorithms. For the most part, 320kbps partisanship is more due to superstition and ignorance than anything else. FLAC makes a little more sense as an archival format, but in a practical sense you will not be able to tell the difference during playback.

Yeah, V0 is pretty much the 'go to' for MP3 encoding these days. I like AAC just because it's more efficient at the same file size and I dig the ability to auto crunch my music to 128kbit AAC for my iPhone, where I'm wearing EarPods anyway. Not that I could tell the difference between my lossy encoded MP3s and my further lossy encoded crunched AACs anyway.

FLAC/ALAC is great to keep as bit perfect archives, but unless you feel the audiophile thread is unfairly picking on people then you really don't need to be concerned at the 320kbit shelf of MP3s.

(I remember the days of getting annoyed by the cymbal swishes in the then standard 112kbit MP3, even before the 128kbit MP3 became the default back in the mid 90s).

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

EL BROMANCE posted:

(I remember the days of getting annoyed by the cymbal swishes in the then standard 112kbit MP3, even before the 128kbit MP3 became the default back in the mid 90s).

The truly awful joint stereo encoding that was popular at the time certainly exacerbated that problem. Encoding methods have dramatically improved over the last ~15 years and 128kbps mp3s sound pretty reasonable these days.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Absolutely true, that Fraunhofer codec everyone was using nicked copies of is nowhere near as good as LAME on modern hardware. Still astounded me I could fit a pop song in listenable quality onto a floppy disk mind!

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFLHFBHOO1g

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

I like knowing poo poo like this is happening somewhere.

Like, it's a big project for someone to create an environment like that, and get it all just right, to listen to records submerged in water.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Dissapointed Owl posted:

I like knowing poo poo like this is happening somewhere.

Like, it's a big project for someone to create an environment like that, and get it all just right, to listen to records submerged in water.

I can't believe they're not even using distilled water. It's like they don't care about the sound quality.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
You need some natural minerals to bring out the bass.

Surfingelectrode
Jan 17, 2006

Yeah, I know it's a drag...
but wastin' pigs is still radical.
Got my Gruff Rhys - American Interior box set in yesterday! Came with the album (which also came with a map insert and a CD), a shirt, signed print and a 12" EP and room for two more 12"s that are going to be coming out and sent later in the year.

The album is great and the whole story behind it is pretty fascinating. Worth checking out.

turnip kid
May 24, 2010
I REALLY, REALLY, REALLY wanted that, but I think it almost came out to $200 with the conversion rate and shipping. I'm really envious

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Got another few $1 records from Crate.

I can't find any info about this one at all, but "The Tallest Ganja Tree" has to be somewhat entertaining and I have high hopes for the flipside, "Rastaman Instrumental"

This song's not bad, and it's always good to hear some Prince Paul, he does a song on the B side, "Uda Man"

I like this, a mix of 80s-90s dancehall over hip hop beats courtesy of Rude Boy Stuart, whoever that is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8zTEUDUqCbs

Snowy fucked around with this message at 22:14 on May 11, 2014

Surfingelectrode
Jan 17, 2006

lil mortimer posted:

I REALLY, REALLY, REALLY wanted that, but I think it almost came out to $200 with the conversion rate and shipping. I'm really envious

I think I wound up paying around $130 total? It was more than what I had wanted to spend but I love Gruff and just had to get it.

Champ Baldoon
Nov 22, 2012

dont let me get in my zone

Snowy posted:

Got another few $1 records from Crate.

I can't find any info about this one at all, but "The Tallest Ganja Tree" has to be somewhat entertaining and I have high hopes for the flipside, "Rastaman Instrumental"

This song's not bad, and it's always good to hear some Prince Paul, he does a song on the B side, "Uda Man"

I like this, a mix of 80s-90s dancehall over hip hop beats courtesy of Rude Boy Stuart, whoever that is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8zTEUDUqCbs

I'm jealous.

turnip kid
May 24, 2010

Surfingelectrode posted:

Got my Gruff Rhys - American Interior box set in yesterday! Came with the album (which also came with a map insert and a CD), a shirt, signed print and a 12" EP and room for two more 12"s that are going to be coming out and sent later in the year.

The album is great and the whole story behind it is pretty fascinating. Worth checking out.

I just bought it because I can't forgive myself if I don't. The total worked out to be $137... gently caress.

Surfingelectrode
Jan 17, 2006

lil mortimer posted:

I just bought it because I can't forgive myself if I don't. The total worked out to be $137... gently caress.

I will say that the shipping company that they're using is ridiculously fast which kind of justifies the shipping cost that they're charging for the three deliveries. I got my box set literally a couple of days after they sent it from the UK and I live in Florida.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

edit: I meant to post this in the equipment thread, sorry!

wa27 fucked around with this message at 05:26 on May 12, 2014

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Thou pre-order is up. http://www.gileadmedia.net/store/

turnip kid
May 24, 2010

Surfingelectrode posted:

I will say that the shipping company that they're using is ridiculously fast which kind of justifies the shipping cost that they're charging for the three deliveries. I got my box set literally a couple of days after they sent it from the UK and I live in Florida.

Hey, I'm in Florida so that's good to hear. If it weren't for my wife, I would've ordered it sooner. I'm probably hosed if she sees it come in.

I also just bought this, which isn't going to help my case:

https://brownswoodrecordings.bandcamp.com/album/gilles-peterson-presents-sonzeira-brasil-bam-bam-bam

turnip kid fucked around with this message at 16:22 on May 12, 2014

Surfingelectrode
Jan 17, 2006

lil mortimer posted:

Hey, I'm in Florida so that's good to hear. If it weren't for my wife, I would've ordered it sooner. I'm probably hosed if she sees it come in.

Haha, yeah, I had to sell some records I didn't really need to be able to justify spending the money on it.

Just for the hell of it and because I'd been meaning to post it earlier, here's all of my SFA and related records:

Just really need Gruff's other two albums, Mwng and Out Spaced but the latter seems pretty hard to find.

DammitJanet
Dec 26, 2006

Nice shootin', Tex.

Defleshed posted:

This owns, life owns. Thanks DammitJanet

My pleasure! Glad to see it found a good home.

I got a little zine on RSD with ads for Waxwork and Death Waltz outlining their releases for the rest of the year, and there's going to be some really good stuff coming from both labels, so I'd keep my eyes peeled.

turnip kid
May 24, 2010

Surfingelectrode posted:

Haha, yeah, I had to sell some records I didn't really need to be able to justify spending the money on it.

Just for the hell of it and because I'd been meaning to post it earlier, here's all of my SFA and related records:

Just really need Gruff's other two albums, Mwng and Out Spaced but the latter seems pretty hard to find.

Man, I got a fairly well-priced Guerrilla on Ebay, but it was a total lemon. I don't know what was wrong with it. I cleaned it and cleaned it and nothing helped. It must've just been a terrible pressing because it looked fine visually. That really sucked. I'm still looking for one. I'd love to have Mwng as well. It's nice and white.

My current SFA collection is pretty weak. I just have Phantom Power, Cian's two albums and an Acid Casuals single. Songbook has a pretty great cover (it's a Pete Fowler pop-up), but I can't justify buying it. I absolutely LOVE Outspaced. It's a great record.

turnip kid fucked around with this message at 18:43 on May 12, 2014

Jonny
Dec 31, 2005

Found a copy of Aphex Twin - Druqks today for £20. The huge box was pretty beaten up with the vinyl rolling around inside, and the sleeves all torn up. Nonetheless feel I made a huge mistake not buying it. Someone please tell me I'm not a dummy.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Jonny posted:

Found a copy of Aphex Twin - Druqks today for £20. The huge box was pretty beaten up with the vinyl rolling around inside, and the sleeves all torn up. Nonetheless feel I made a huge mistake not buying it. Someone please tell me I'm not a dummy.

Would have been a great buy if the vinyl is in good condition. The dumb massive box isn't important.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

DammitJanet posted:

My pleasure! Glad to see it found a good home.

I got a little zine on RSD with ads for Waxwork and Death Waltz outlining their releases for the rest of the year, and there's going to be some really good stuff coming from both labels, so I'd keep my eyes peeled.

Any word of Death Waltz putting out the score for Beyond the Black Rainbow?

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.
1000 Umbrellas, my Sunray EP will never be worth 1000s of dollars if you put out instrumental albums. I really love the Sunray EP. Are you guys guys really into what you made for Theme I, or are you guys just trying to be original? I think Mom Talk is pretty good, too.

Thank you,
confused conveyor is a band fan

Edit - My wife says the guy with the blue guitar looks like Charlie Day from it's always sunny.

cosmicjim fucked around with this message at 23:16 on May 12, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chim
Jun 23, 2004
Shop Smart, Shop S-Mart!
https://shop.virginemi.com/montypython/*/*/Monty-Python-s-Total-Rubbish-Deluxe-9-LP-Box-Set-Free-Exclusive-Poster/3BCC0000000

So.. Monty Python is releasing a 9LP deluxe box set housing nearly every single recorded song from their oeuvre. $219... who's going to bite?