Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dead Man's Ham
Dec 2, 2002

alg posted:

Whoa. Lots of cool stuff on this site:

http://thompsonpeters.com/eote/maps/

Dude wrote an 80 page adventure :stare:

Sweetness, forwarded to my friend thats running an Edge of the Empire campaign for our group. We just finished up the starter set adventure and I know he was looking for something like this.

Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
Alright, goons, I need some help.

Finally running a session this weekend for my long-time gaming group, a bunch of people who know a hell of a lot about Star Wars and are very familiar with West End and the D6 system. They’re willing to give the EotE dice a try, though…

Human Pilot, Droid (R2) Mechanic, Chiss Mercenary, Human Doctor.

And since it’s a slaver ship, there’s a Rodian Trader in one of the cells. The ship used to be HIS ship until the slaver took it over, so now that it’s his ship again, he needs a crew. This will be MY NPC and the “guy who can stay on the ship” while everyone else goes out and does stuff.

I’m going to run the adventure in the Beginner’s Box, and at the end of the session once they’re escaped and are exploring the ship, drop the hook on them – something that, if they’re into the game, would cause them to want to come back in a few weekends for another round. The short-term hook is that, at the end of the session, they’re attacked by a Bounty Hunter whose brother was kidnapped by the slaver and he wants revenge on the ship…

But I need a long-term hook. I was thinking something about the ship itself, like the ship itself is special, or there’s something special about it, or there’s something special IN it that everyone wants. This would bring back the Hutt from the introduction adventure, or a group of pirates who know what’s up with the ship and want it for themselves…or the ship just has a long history (not of slaving, though – that’s from an old Serenity game we all used to be in and don’t like to talk about) that the PC’s aren’t aware of, but every time someone sees the ship or hears the name they go “oh, THAT ship? Heh. Good luck, pal.”

So far, I’m thinking…

1) There’s something special about the hyperdrive or navcomputer that, when the Droid Mechanic finds it out, either makes the ship really drat fast or leads them to a lost planet.

2) There’s something hidden in one of the hidden cargo compartments, something really hard to find, like a holodisc of a Moff committing a war crime or blueprints for an advanced droid from the Clone Wars.

3) The ship used to belong to a high-ranking Imperial who lost it to a Rebel attack before the slaver got a hold of it, and he REALLY wants it back to avenge his honor.

4) One of the “decorations” is really an old Jedi Holocron. No Jedi in my group, but just having a Holocron is bad enough to get you pegged…

Any other cool ideas? I just need one, something a bit long-term/story-arc-ish.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

CobiWann posted:

Any other cool ideas? I just need one, something a bit long-term/story-arc-ish.
I'm a huge fan of Wild Space and having the navicom have "safe coordinates" into and out of Wild Space would be a fantastic thing. If it gets out that they have that info (maybe the Rodian knows but doesn't want to let on), every spacer and treasure-seeker in the galaxy will want that ship's astrogation circuits.

They could just copy the coordinates onto a flash drive and hand it out to everyone, but the Rodian flashing some piece of hidden tech or treasure should be enough to let them know they've got a special thing that they shouldn't share.

Tie it in to the Katana fleet so the Rebels want it too and you've got a stew goin', baby!

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
I'd say the Wild Space/Katana Fleet hook is a good one. Alternatively, you could have the trader actually be an ex-smuggler and he stole some cargo from a Hutt, and said cargo is still in a smuggler compartment (or maybe it's gone, even worse) on the ship.

If you don't mind going left field, maybe the trader is actually a ship thief, and little did he know but the ship was actually a secret test platform for a cloaking device the Empire was working on, and they want it back.

Alternatively, the slaver had some other live cargo, one of which is actually an Imperial Moff or an important Rebel Leader, though your crew has no idea. The other side wants to capture the person while their side either wants to rescue them or just silence them so they can't reveal any intel.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Fuzz posted:

If you don't mind going left field, maybe the trader is actually a ship thief, and little did he know but the ship was actually a secret test platform for a cloaking device the Empire was working on, and they want it back.

Bingo! The ship is a prototype cloaking ship that the party can discover after a few sessions. And NPC's can call it all kinds of "ghost ship" type names.

The Pilot will love it, the Droid will discover it, the Doctor's from Kuat and her family builds starships, and the Chiss will definitely be interested for her people...

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Age of Rebellion Beginner's box is a great value for 25 bucks. All the stuff inside is just as nice as the EotE box was, with kickass art like this fuckin' guy:

badass_bothan.jpg

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Man I wish they'd just put all 6 characters in the box...I'm gonna be using the box for its intended purpose and introducing one of my IRL groups to the system, and its gonna suck that 4 of the folios are these cool glossy things and the other 2 are gonna be black and white printouts.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Speaking of, the extra stuff is up at http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_minisite_sec.asp?eidm=254&esem=4

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

I've been roped into DM'ing a four-session adventure at our FLGS. How does this sound:
Session 1: Mos Eisley

The players are in Mos Eisley, waiting for a job when two Alderaanians approach them, wanting to buy passage to "The Graveyard" to pay their last respects. The players take the job because otherwise I stare at them and say "welp, see you next week."

ENCOUNTER 1: A band of shipjackers led by a Twi'lek named Boc Aseca attack them and try and take their ship by force. The players fight them off and win, taking off for Alderaan.
Upon arriving in the Graveyard, the Alderaanians explain that they are not just there to pay respects, but are looking for a bank-safe-sized cube owned by Bail Organa. It's very important, and they need the player's help recalibrating the scanners to find and obtain it.

TECH/SKILL CHALLENGE: Recover Bail's Horde

The Imperial Security Bureau keeps an eye on the Graveyard, since most Alderaanians are rebel sympathizers, and they attack the players.

ENCOUNTER 2: Space battle, fleeing the ISB. During the battle, the hyperdrive fails because there are mynocks chewing through the cables. The group's fighter must spacewalk on the outside of the ship and shoot the mynocks off so they can escape.
Once the ship's hull is clean, the party jumps to hyperspace, headed for Thyferra to drop off their charges.
------------------
Session 2: Thyferra

The players are planning to set down in the Xucphra spaceport on Thyferra, but upon entering the atmosphere discover that they missed a mynock who was chewing on their attitude controls, and they crash land in the thick Bacta forests outside Xucphra. Since the Bacta fields are extremely valuable, this leads us to

ENCOUNTER 3: The party must either stealth or fight their way past the robotic sentries throughout the fields to get to Xucphra and commission repairs.
Once they get to Xucphra, the Alderaanians pay them and say goodbye. However, the cost to tow their ship (as well as the lost revenue from the Bacta trees they destroyed) is high. They'll need to do a job for one of the Bacta Cartel aristocrats to pay it off. He gives them options:

ENCOUNTER 4a: Put down a slave rebellion among the Vratix, the bug-like species that harvests the Bacta who think they should get more credits for their work (diplomatic option)
ENCOUNTER 4b: Do a space patrol protecting Bacta ships as they leave. The Hyperdrive systems will not be recharged until they return, so they can't just run off. (pirate space combat option)
ENCOUNTER 4c: Another member of the Cartel made a stupid business deal and needs to be taught a lesson, but obviously no Thyferrans can be involved. Get past his bodyguards and tune him up with a pillowcase full of doorknobs for the aristocrat (ground combat option)

Once the party's debt is paid, they're free to leave Thyferra, possibly to return to Tatooine to see if any other jobs are available. The Alderaanians are on the transport in front of them, waiting in line "on the runway" in space for their hyperspace lane to be cleared, when an assault gunboat drops out of hyperspace and attacks them. Just before they are destroyed, they send out a wide-beam message in a crazy encryption to all the ships on the taxi-way. The players will find a "decoder ring" in the safe which was left behind, which allows them to view the doomed ship's final message - it's a list of the planets and coordinates of the surviving members of the Jedi Council!
-----------------
Session 3: Running from the Imps

Upon arriving on Tatooine, their bartender is surprised to see them. Every other ship on that runway was blown out of the sky by Imperials upon arriving at their destination. He suggests they may want to get out of here, as he knows that there are bounty hunters who are monitoring the IFF beacons of ships that check in, and probably alerted the Empire.

ENCOUNTER 5: As the players take off after a running firefight through the streets of Tatooine, the Conquest drops out of hyperspace to attack them. They don't have time to plot a new course, and the only coordinates from Tatooine already in their navicom are to The Graveyard.

Arriving in the Graveyard a second time, they receive a transmission in that same coded language from a Corellian Pleasure Cruiser that is there ferrying Alderaanian mourners - it says that it is a secret Rebel ship, that ISB double-agents have made their move, and they are holed up on the bridge requesting assistance.

ENCOUNTER 6: The players attach their docking clamps to the Yavin's Hope and fight their way through the hallways of the cruiser to the bridge to save the day, only to find that same Twi'lek from the initial encounter on Mos Eisley - now in ISB uniform - informing them that it's too late. He's jettisoned the Hyperdrives and alerted the Conquest, Tyrant and Radiant, who should be here shortly to mop up.
*CLIFFHANGER!*
--------------
Session 4: Justice

Once the players dispatch Boc Aseca, a friendly R2 unit informs them that Sublight is at 20%, shields are at 45%, hyperdrive is (~MISSING~), but Tractor Beams are at 100%. They could, theoretically, fling chunks of Alderaan at the ISDs to buy time while the surviving crew evacuates to their smaller ship.

ENCOUNTER 7: Tower Defense. The players will have to maneuver chunks of Alderaan to slow down or destroy ISDs and the TIE fighters spewing from them for several rounds until the evac is complete and they can escape. We can work to make a fun game of this. We can also have more ISB agents and/or stormtroopers try and re-take the bridge during this to add tension.

Then the denouement of the surviving crew of the Yavin's Hope can be of the players joining the Rebellion and we get the "Leia putting medals on everyone" moment.

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

I am Centurion Titus Polonius. And the only trouble I've had is that nobody seem to realize that I'm their superior officer.

It sounds cool, but it seems to rely heavily on the players doing exactly what you want them to. Unless you're going to railroad them to hell and back, it might be a good idea to have some contingency plans.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Beardless posted:

It sounds cool, but it seems to rely heavily on the players doing exactly what you want them to. Unless you're going to railroad them to hell and back, it might be a good idea to have some contingency plans.

Yeah, this is a "Learn to Play RPGs! This Month is EotE!" type thing that's pick-up game style at a card shop. Actually, here's the ad for it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l490mHMhITw

So "a little railroady" is actually OK (I hope)

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

I am Centurion Titus Polonius. And the only trouble I've had is that nobody seem to realize that I'm their superior officer.

Tharizdun posted:

Yeah, this is a "Learn to Play RPGs! This Month is EotE!" type thing that's pick-up game style at a card shop. Actually, here's the ad for it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l490mHMhITw

So "a little railroady" is actually OK (I hope)

Ah okay, that makes more sense. That sounds good then.

WiiFitForWindows8
Oct 14, 2013

quote:

no rules for empire

What the gently caress?

alg
Mar 14, 2007

What are we quotin' here, dude

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
^^ I would also like to know the source on this, because that would be lovely.

I know I'm like a page back as well, but I've run the beginner game with both the premades and player created ones and I can certainly say the premades seem higher level than than normal new characters. Not impossibly different, but it was definitely a steeper challenge for fresh o es.

Also a natural continuation for the beginner game is the Long Arm of the Hutt that you can get a free PDF of off FFG. It nicely balances combat, social interaction, and space combat as well. So my Politico had an entire act to shine instead of just the occasional "talk us out of this" moment he seemed pigeon holed into.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Our group finished it's first non-beginner box game using the Crates of Krayts adventure, and really loving this system so far.

I'm getting so tempted to take a 3rd tree outside my career though already if this game lasts long enough. Playing a Politco/Doctor Toydarian, but real tempted to at some point get Mercenary Soldier for Command and Field Commander.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
Never expect your players to do what you expect them to do.

I ran the beginner game for my group. The Doctor caused a riot in the star port while attempting to rally the crowd behind the PC's, the Pilot took advantage to steal the hypermatter reactor igniter (and could never remember the exact name, on purpose), and the Astromech droid is quietly adding a smuggling compartment to their ship and hoping no one will notice.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

On an aside, I'm reopening my ISB game for possible applicants. We can take up to two more (possibly) after this Operation, if you're interested, feel free to drop an app in the OOC thread.

If you previously submitted and didn't make it in, you can be reconsidered! Just repost the application.

It's not guaranteed we will necessarily take two more, it will be based on the votes of the existing team, yes, but also it will heavily depend on the quality of the application... some characters are too good to not add in!

(Hint: Obligations and character flaws are good and interesting)

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

This is a crazy question, but are there any good name generators for Star Wars? I suck at coming up with star wars character names

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

KomradeX posted:

This is a crazy question, but are there any good name generators for Star Wars? I suck at coming up with star wars character names

http://donjon.bin.sh/scifi/name/#star_wars

Has names for males, females, bothans, wookiees, Twi'Leks and just about any other race you care to name.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Tharizdun posted:

http://donjon.bin.sh/scifi/name/#star_wars

Has names for males, females, bothans, wookiees, Twi'Leks and just about any other race you care to name.

It might just be my group but the names from this site always end up being dick jokes.

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Find a baby name generator that specializes in Armenian names and it would be perfect for Star Wars names.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Mechanics question for you guys, re: Strain.

How do you guys handle this? I feel like the way the rules are written, Strain is mostly meaningless and doesn't really amount to much. In my current ImpGame the average player has let's say 12 Strain. They can take a point of strain for certain Talents, like lowering the difficulty on a roll, or taking an extra Aim action... that's fine. But in mechanical terms, they have literally 10+ times they can do that in a given scene before they have to even care or worry about it, and out of combat they can use a roll to recover a chunk of it, if they want.

There are no rules about Wounds and Strain interrelating and stacking... personally it seem slike Strain should have its own pool, sure, but any Wounds you incur should also incur an equivalent number of Strain, so you might end up passing out from Strain before you pass out from losing all your wounds, if you're really pushing yourself to the limit. But that's not what the rules say, so even if you only have 2 wounds of 15 left, you still have your full Strain pool to use to do crazy poo poo if needed.

Any of you guys figure out any good houserules for Strain? I was thinking about splitting it in thirds, rounded down, so say you have 12 Strain total, once you drop below 8 (-4 Strain or more accrued) you automatically get an extra Setback on all rolls, regardless. Drop it another third and it adds another one, etc. Is that stupid? Is there a smoother way to do it? Should I just not bother?

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Fuzz posted:

How do you guys handle this? I feel like the way the rules are written, Strain is mostly meaningless and doesn't really amount to much. In my current ImpGame the average player has let's say 12 Strain. They can take a point of strain for certain Talents, like lowering the difficulty on a roll, or taking an extra Aim action... that's fine. But in mechanical terms, they have literally 10+ times they can do that in a given scene before they have to even care or worry about it, and out of combat they can use a roll to recover a chunk of it, if they want.

There are no rules about Wounds and Strain interrelating and stacking... personally it seem slike Strain should have its own pool, sure, but any Wounds you incur should also incur an equivalent number of Strain, so you might end up passing out from Strain before you pass out from losing all your wounds, if you're really pushing yourself to the limit. But that's not what the rules say, so even if you only have 2 wounds of 15 left, you still have your full Strain pool to use to do crazy poo poo if needed.

Any of you guys figure out any good houserules for Strain? I was thinking about splitting it in thirds, rounded down, so say you have 12 Strain total, once you drop below 8 (-4 Strain or more accrued) you automatically get an extra Setback on all rolls, regardless. Drop it another third and it adds another one, etc. Is that stupid? Is there a smoother way to do it? Should I just not bother?

Are you having them lose Strain when they roll Threat? It sounds as though you're not.

KJDavid
Nov 22, 2013

My other avatar is a pocke-thingy.

Fuzz posted:

Fuzz said other stuff....

Should I just not bother?

I wouldn't bother. I've played up to 5 IRL sessions. Here are my observations:
  • A minion group shooting regular blasters set to stun can easily knock out half an average player's strain in no time at all.
  • When you can only use strain on extra maneuvers, it isn't much of an issue. Add in special talents, and watch it get spent regularly.
  • Which makes stun weapons even more dangerous....
  • Feedback loop!

The other part is healing strain. You can make a check after each encounter to try to get some back. This is usually good for 2-3 strain depending on your Cool or Discipline (I think those are the ones). Unlike wounds, there are no stimpacks for strain. If you use a lot of it, you're stuck with what you've got unless you get a good night's sleep or some other refreshing activity as per the GM's discretion. My mercenary carried around a lot of strain through one whole session, because we didn't have a chance to catch our breath.

Sure, that won't happen all the time, but it isn't unusual either.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

homullus posted:

Are you having them lose Strain when they roll Threat? It sounds as though you're not.

Roll net Threat on everything? I usually have the Threat equate to negative consequences, like the hack was successful but the alarm triggered, or the explosion took out the enemy but now there's a hole in the hull and we're losing atmo. Maybe I should be enforcing more Strain penalties, then.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Fuzz posted:

Roll net Threat on everything? I usually have the Threat equate to negative consequences, like the hack was successful but the alarm triggered, or the explosion took out the enemy but now there's a hole in the hull and we're losing atmo. Maybe I should be enforcing more Strain penalties, then.

You don't have to go Threat=Strain on everything, and you would still describe them narratively as best you can, but you could halve a player's Strain on a single bad roll, and easily chip away at his Strain total over the course of the combat.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Fuzz posted:

I would do a mix. If someone rolls 3 threat on something, maybe they suffer 1 strain and set off an alarm.

Strain, like Crits, starts out pretty meaningless but snowballs quickly.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Oh my gosh, a Colonists sourcebook! I was worried they were done with them with Age of Rebellion coming.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Loads of people called that Performer spec, I'm really happy to see that one show up. Marshall I wasn't expecting, but it could be interesting. Entrepreneur is gonna probably be a really RP heavy spec, and I think that's pretty great. I was hoping for something to make a "crack reporter" character with, but we'll have to see how the talent trees play out.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

I'd be VERY surprised if they don't release a Sourcebook for each profession. With the success of the games so far, and the new interest in the IP, I can see them making content for all the lines for some time.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Carteret posted:

I'd be VERY surprised if they don't release a Sourcebook for each profession. With the success of the games so far, and the new interest in the IP, I can see them making content for all the lines for some time.

Yeah, they've pretty much confirmed that all the core Careers in EotE will be getting sourcebooks. May be a awhile before we see the same for AoR, however. Personally I can't wait to see the Bounty Hunter book.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Can't wait for all sorts of crazy Doctor gadgets :allears:

KlavoHunter
Aug 4, 2006
"Intelligence indicates that our enemy is using giant cathedral ships. Research divison reports that we can adapt this technology for our use. Begin researching giant cathedral ships immediately."
My Technician-Mechanic needs toys! So many toys...

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

alg posted:

Can't wait for all sorts of crazy Doctor gadgets :allears:

Is there a gadget that clears your record so you don't have the death sentence on 12 systems?

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

jivjov posted:

Loads of people called that Performer spec, I'm really happy to see that one show up. Marshall I wasn't expecting, but it could be interesting. Entrepreneur is gonna probably be a really RP heavy spec, and I think that's pretty great. I was hoping for something to make a "crack reporter" character with, but we'll have to see how the talent trees play out.

I once suggested someone could do a police detective with the Spy/Infiltrator from Age of Rebellion. I bet you could do "dogged investigative journalist" via the Marshall if they have talents to do crimesolving, repurposed.

Defocus Judge Dredd and go Columbo.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

"building your own homestead" sweet, home base building rules are always one of my favorite add-on systems for a given RPG.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Swagger Dagger posted:

"building your own homestead" sweet, home base building rules are always one of my favorite add-on systems for a given RPG.

Star Wars Oregon Trail

Kill 45000 pounds of Dewback, then lose 2 hyperspace motivators and die of Dantooinian dysentery.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
peperony and bantha chease

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

Swagger Dagger posted:

Didn't even notice that part when I first read the news post. Cool stuff.

• Locked thread