Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012

Brought To You By posted:

For example, I really didn't like Part 4's conclusion my first time through because I really wanted Josuke to be the one to take down Kira.
Imagine if Kira slipped in a reference to "the brat with the god-awful hair" in his rant to Hayato. He would have spent the rest of eternity as a fancy watch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

onepixeljumpman
Jun 23, 2010

In a world where one bear has a shotgun: Fuck.

Brought To You By posted:

No I agree with that sentiment. Johnathan is very plain and straightforward character as were a lot of others in Phantom Blood. Araki was playing the shonen genre conventions pretty straight but I guess I kind of like having a character who is unambiguously a gentleman and honorable person. He's good enough for what he does and his admirable qualities are a lot more endearing than most would give him credit for.

Oh, I'm not trying to give you poo poo for liking Jonathan. I think he's fine if a little too flat. I'm just not used to people cheering him on over Joseph/Josuke/Jolyne/Gyro, and Jonathan, unfortunately for him, has to be compared to those that followed.

Supersonic Shine posted:

Imagine if Kira slipped in a reference to "the brat with the god-awful hair" in his rant to Hayato. He would have spent the rest of eternity as a fancy watch.

And then Josuke gives it to his mom or Koichi gives it to Yukako or Hayato gives it to his mom so Kira can be always near his goal but never able to obtain it.

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
Shinobu getting the Kira watch would be all kinds of twisted. She'd lament the disappearance of her "husband", not knowing he's holding her wrist (in a sense) and suffering from the worst case of sexual frustration ever.

Supersonic Shine fucked around with this message at 00:49 on May 9, 2014

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Supersonic Shine posted:

This is the only part of the fight I found truly disappointing. I thought the entire part was leading up to Kira insulting his hair, but unfortunately not.

I still feel like parts of 4 didn't live up to how they should've (OKUYASU) but it's still the best part. It had a main cast that felt like they would all hang out regardless of what's going on (except Rohan) and a villain that was so hosed up he couldn't help but be the most charismatic guy ever.

I think the game got the town's name wrong though, was it another music reference or something?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
The name Morioh doesn't come from anything in particular, however the town is based on Araki's hometown, Sendai. I believe he wanted to call it Sendai, but felt people might get mad with his representation of it and changed it to Morioh located in S City which is in the M (Miyagi) Prefecture.

Captain Baal fucked around with this message at 02:43 on May 9, 2014

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012

Momomo posted:

This is the only part of the fight I found truly disappointing. I thought the entire part was leading up to Kira insulting his hair, but unfortunately not.
That probably would have broken the tension. Kira insulting the man who saved him from freezing to death would have infuriated Josuke while also preserving the dramatic momentum, but how would he know about that?

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Okay what is the Spin? I mean, what is it powered by? Like Hamon is powered by solar energy+breathing+strength of will or whatever. Does Johnny and Gyro just psychically think of the golden rectangle and said object starts spinning?

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

amuayse posted:

Okay what is the Spin? I mean, what is it powered by? Like Hamon is powered by solar energy+breathing+strength of will or whatever. Does Johnny and Gyro just psychically think of the golden rectangle and said object starts spinning?

Mathemagics.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Spinning of course.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Intertia

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

You see, everything is made up of circles. And those circles are made up of even smaller circles spinning around each other. So therefore, this rock is made of the same thing as a cheeseburger.

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
Ideal proportions.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Agent Interrobang posted:

Having tried Jojo as an M&M game; emphatically no. M&M is way too focused on combat and far too fiddly to really approximate the loose, crazy-rear end feel of Jojo. Marvel Super Heroes/FASERIP or Monsters & Other Childish Things, though, that could work. Mage: The Awakening too. MAYBE Geist if you reskinned, and I mean reskinned it a LOT.

Honestly, I'd have to say a reskinned Mage is the best way to handle it. The caveat, however, is that you would have to throw out every single bit of Mage fluff and you'd have to throw out a lot of mechanics too (Stands don't really cause anything like Paradox, for example, and most of them would only have one or two spells out of a given arcana rather than an entire one to play with). I mean, I know for a fact you can replicate Magician's Red's power set using one Forces 4 spell (Firebolt) and one Forces 3 spell (Control Fire), and you can come pretty close to Hierophant Green with a Mind 4 (Psychic Sword) and a Mind 5 (Possession).

I actually kind of want to run this now. Stand creation would be pretty amusing, since I'd basically be asking my players to pick one or two cool spells and think of a music reference to name it after. :v:

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Orgia Carnaval posted:

The name Morioh doesn't come from anything in particular, however the town is based on Araki's hometown, Sendai. I believe he wanted to call it Sendai, but felt people might get mad with his representation of it and changed it to Morioh located in S City which is in the M (Miyagi) Prefecture.

What's this Morioh place? They lived in Duwang.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Oh I read that wrong, my bad.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

SALT CURES HAM posted:

Honestly, I'd have to say a reskinned Mage is the best way to handle it. The caveat, however, is that you would have to throw out every single bit of Mage fluff and you'd have to throw out a lot of mechanics too (Stands don't really cause anything like Paradox, for example, and most of them would only have one or two spells out of a given arcana rather than an entire one to play with). I mean, I know for a fact you can replicate Magician's Red's power set using one Forces 4 spell (Firebolt) and one Forces 3 spell (Control Fire), and you can come pretty close to Hierophant Green with a Mind 4 (Psychic Sword) and a Mind 5 (Possession).

I actually kind of want to run this now. Stand creation would be pretty amusing, since I'd basically be asking my players to pick one or two cool spells and think of a music reference to name it after. :v:

No, the best way would be Monsters and Other Childish Things, which is a system that has children's imaginary friends show up Stand-Style to duke it out in the playground. poo poo rules, seriously.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Eh, honestly it's mostly just that Mage spells already sound like Stand powers, so it would be an incredibly easy reskin with a little thought.

For example:

WoD Canon Index, paraphrased posted:

Steal Lifespan, Death 4 - Steal a year from someone's life

Fortune's Fool, Fate 4 - Store failures to inflict on others

Bread Alone, Life 2 - Create edible food from inedible organic matter

Dream Traveler, Mind 4 - Project into target's dreams

Co-Location, Space 4 - Exist in multiple locations simultaneously

Labyrinth, Space 5 - Mutate space freely in an area; "The mage is capable of sculpting bizarre vicissitudes of place and distance through this level of Space, folding space in ways that defy the senses. For example, the horror-movie staple of causing every possible path of egress from a given locale to instead lead back to isolated wilderness is possible. So is making a road that a person can visually confirm leads to the store down the street, but traveling that way actually leads in the opposite direction."

Temporal Stutter, Time 4 - Push target or self forward in time

Time Stop, Time 5 - ZA WARUDO

Temporal Lifeline, Time 5 - Mark a point in time to return to 24 hours later

These, at least the ones that Araki hasn't already used, would pretty much fit perfectly with the canon Stands. Bread Alone as written wouldn't make a good Stand ability, but if you let it work on living things, like people... :getin:

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
There really should be a Stand that lets you stick a stick in a building and stir everything in it into nourishing hobo gruel.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Mr. Maltose posted:

There really should be a Stand that lets you stick a stick in a building and stir everything in it into nourishing hobo gruel.

I name it. . . Tombstone Blues.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
I was thinking Werewolf of London but that may have been too on the nose.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Mr. Maltose posted:

I was thinking Werewolf of London but that may have been too on the nose.

Fair, I just might want more Bob Dylan stands. Dylan is good stuff.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Supersonic Shine posted:

Shinobu getting the Kira watch would be all kinds of twisted. She'd lament the disappearance of her "husband", not knowing he's holding her wrist (in a sense) and suffering from the worst case of sexual frustration ever.

Kira is one of the main reasons part4 is my favorite. He's an excellent villain with understandable (yet loving crazy) motivations. But there is also something you don't see very often that Araki does with him: he is the underdog. There is just no way he could take on the gang in a fair fight so he has to use his guts and dirty tricks (of which he has a lot) to try to escape from Josuke & Co. That role reversal and his ever increasing desperation make him a really dangerous dude.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

trucutru posted:

Kira is one of the main reasons part4 is my favorite. He's an excellent villain with understandable (yet loving crazy) motivations. But there is also something you don't see very often that Araki does with him: he is the underdog. There is just no way he could take on the gang in a fair fight so he has to use his guts and dirty tricks (of which he has a lot) to try to escape from Josuke & Co. That role reversal and his ever increasing desperation make him a really dangerous dude.

Hell he only lost because despite his motives he is an arrogant dick. What with his habit of ranting about how great he is and that luck is always on his side and shouting his name during those rants.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

Mr. Maltose posted:

No, the best way would be Monsters and Other Childish Things,

SALT CURES HAM posted:

Honestly, I'd have to say a reskinned Mage is the best way to handle it.

We should just make a JoJo medley pbp thread. Switch systems and GMs after every scenario.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

The problem with using Mage is that Storyteller is an incredibly broken system that falls apart after a very short while.

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer

mr. stefan posted:

The problem with using Mage is that Storyteller is an incredibly broken system that falls apart after a very short while.
Kind of like King Crimson and Gold Experience Requiem? :v:

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Soulcleaver posted:

Kind of like King Crimson and Gold Experience Requiem? :v:

To be entirely serious, the biggest problem with storyteller is that once you get a couple key stats up to 3 or 4 dots it becomes literally impossible to fail a roll because how the dice pool system is designed.

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer
Make a JJRPG where each new part is a different RPG system. Carry over the characters who survive and convert them from GURPS to Palladium or whatever. It would be a huge undertaking and also amazing. Part 1: Wraith Vitae.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I'm also in for a Jojo tabletop thing, I remember posting something JJBA-related in one of the game design threads once. Sadly it had no rules so I'm useless (useless, useless). I do remember that it seemed like M&M would permit you to model Stands but you'd have to somehow mandate the acquistion of lengthy weird-rear end limitations, above and beyond "Stand."

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

mr. stefan posted:

To be entirely serious, the biggest problem with storyteller is that once you get a couple key stats up to 3 or 4 dots it becomes literally impossible to fail a roll because how the dice pool system is designed.

Yeah, I've noticed that people just start getting Exceptional Successes left and right after a while and I don't really know how to plan around that. "Oh, that big boss monster you painstakingly crafted? Yeah, me and the boys just loving massacred it in one round because we all got 5 successes each on our rolls." At least WoD's settings are good.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Runaway Girl is now named Ann.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Soulcleaver posted:

Make a JJRPG where each new part is a different RPG system. Carry over the characters who survive and convert them from GURPS to Palladium or whatever. It would be a huge undertaking and also amazing. Part 1: Wraith Vitae.

That would be pretty great, but you fall into a problem of what are these characters even going to fight? Jojo doesn't really have a generic mook, and stands prevent that from even happening, so you'd be stuck with a bunch of boss fights essentially.

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer

Momomo posted:

That would be pretty great, but you fall into a problem of what are these characters even going to fight? Jojo doesn't really have a generic mook, and stands prevent that from even happening, so you'd be stuck with a bunch of boss fights essentially.

Not seeing the problem here.

But yeah, it would depend heavily on the creativity of the DM and to a lesser extent the players. Araki probably spends all day every day thinking up weird poo poo; it would be harder to do on the fly, especially for us mortals.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

Soulcleaver posted:

But yeah, it would depend heavily on the creativity of the DM and to a lesser extent the players. Araki probably spends all day every day thinking up weird poo poo; it would be harder to do on the fly, especially for us mortals.

If I were running it, I would have a player come up with 4 character concepts, roll one for them to use, and the rest can be possible bosses.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Momomo posted:

So like Shadow of the Colossus or Alien Soldier? That's the farthest thing from a problem that you could have in a game.

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

"Is this the ideal world that you envisioned?"
"I guess you could say that."

Pillbug

Momomo posted:

Wasn't that how they handled the Vento Aureo game?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Yes, but that was a beat em up game.

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
The most recent episode, for some reason, made me think of Part 6 Jotaro in Part 3 style with a full beard. I think Huge Jotaro would look pretty good with some facial hair, but 17 year old Jotaro with a beard would just make the contrast between his age and his appearance even more ridiculous.

Superschaf
May 20, 2010

I just bought the first volume of Phantom Blood in Italian.
The Italian releases that are still sold seem to be based on the 2002 release and not the original one, when looking at the Wikipedia page (and the somewhat ugly cover art).

Does anyone know anything about these releases? I couldn't find anything out. Are they just the same chapters packed into less volumes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grancheater
May 1, 2013

Wine'em, dine'em, 69'em
So what's the general rundown of the Part 5 scans, are most of them still the badly translated ones? I'm about to finish Part 4, considering if I should skip Part 5 until a better translation is available. Also I read the thread so y'all got me hyped for Jolyne, SBR in general, and JoJolion weirdness.

• Locked thread