Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe
Pretty low-key, but I slathered Stars and Stripes all over my planes in War Thunder. This suddenly got me hatemail, just by killing pubbies. You can see my obnoxious freedom-planes in the background:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

In Mechwarrior Online it's impossible to know who has shot you unless you can actually physically see them shooting you. Sometimes I would pilot a very small mech and put a single huge gun on it that normally only heavier mechs would use. This gun was very popular at the time, so most large mechs had it. At the start of the match, I would run to the back of my group, stand behind a huge mech, and then shoot that gun at another huge mech standing in front of both of us. That mech would slowly turn around and see this guy standing behind him, and the pilot would scream something like "WHY DID YOU SHOOT ME YOU loving RETARD". By the time that he had turned around I had zoomed away in my light mech and would be many kilometers away

Sometimes the pilot that got shot would shoot the innocent mech, resulting in a 1v1 friendly fire brawl. Destroying or knocking off pieces of a friendly mech results in you losing ISK and EXP, but merely shooting at a friendly mech does not.

Mechwarrior back then was 8v8 matches, but if you wanted to play with friends then (due to game mechanics reasons) you would only queue with a team of 4 people. So usually I would by playing with 3 other goons, and I'd do this team-killing thing to pubbies on my team for a laugh, but our well-coordinated goon team would still win despite losing 2 guys to friendly fire because pubbies are terrible.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

QuarkJets posted:

because pubbies are terrible.

You do realize that every Games post about a multi-player game boils down to this, right? :-)

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

Ringo Star Get posted:

So a bunch of puppies got infuriated that there's going to be a game on the PC that may or may not be even related to EVE or DUST 514 at all? What a bunch of spergs. It's always hilarious to see pubbies rage out and make demands that no one in their right mind in the real world would even consider to be sane or close to legitimate. Reminds of me of Planetside 2 where every time a weapon or ability is changed slightly, even if its been known to be obscenely over-powered and nerfed, or made slightly better to be competitive, there are cries for refunds.

They got infuriated because CCP made a bunch of promises about content they were going to add to Dust, claiming they had a 10 year plan for the game on consoles. Now CCP is saying "we're not going to work on that game anymore" and is instead working on Legion. But you're right, it is hilarious, especially since a bunch of Dust players flew to Iceland for fanfest on their own dime under the impressing they would be the first to hear about future improvements to Dust, just to be told their game is being killed. The tears in the Dust IRC channel and on the official forums are amazing, and it's even funnier that a bunch of people deleted their characters in protest because CCP came out the next day and said they were going to do everything they can to make it possible to transfer all your poo poo from one game to the other.

ButterChugger
Oct 12, 2007

Sammus posted:

They got infuriated because CCP made a bunch of promises about content they were going to add to Dust, claiming they had a 10 year plan for the game on consoles. Now CCP is saying "we're not going to work on that game anymore" and is instead working on Legion. But you're right, it is hilarious, especially since a bunch of Dust players flew to Iceland for fanfest on their own dime under the impressing they would be the first to hear about future improvements to Dust, just to be told their game is being killed. The tears in the Dust IRC channel and on the official forums are amazing, and it's even funnier that a bunch of people deleted their characters in protest because CCP came out the next day and said they were going to do everything they can to make it possible to transfer all your poo poo from one game to the other.

That is amazing.

Moronic Farce
Sep 21, 2008

"Farce... You'll always be the brony of my heart"
Samahiel, August 30 2013

ButterChugger posted:

That is amazing.

Ya, I know that "x greifed y" is kind of a tired joke in this thread at this point but of all the pages past no story has come close to getting a bunch of spergs to fly themselves to Iceland only to announce your killing the reason they came. In the goon Dust corp (yes there still is one for some reason) there was a contest going for pulling off the best greif and posting hate mail about it and if this didn't happen a few days after the contest ended everyone kind of agrees the dev who announced it would have been the winner.

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!

QuarkJets posted:

In Mechwarrior Online it's impossible to know who has shot you unless you can actually physically see them shooting you. Sometimes I would pilot a very small mech and put a single huge gun on it that normally only heavier mechs would use. This gun was very popular at the time, so most large mechs had it. At the start of the match, I would run to the back of my group, stand behind a huge mech, and then shoot that gun at another huge mech standing in front of both of us. That mech would slowly turn around and see this guy standing behind him, and the pilot would scream something like "WHY DID YOU SHOOT ME YOU loving RETARD". By the time that he had turned around I had zoomed away in my light mech and would be many kilometers away

Sometimes the pilot that got shot would shoot the innocent mech, resulting in a 1v1 friendly fire brawl. Destroying or knocking off pieces of a friendly mech results in you losing ISK and EXP, but merely shooting at a friendly mech does not.

Mechwarrior back then was 8v8 matches, but if you wanted to play with friends then (due to game mechanics reasons) you would only queue with a team of 4 people. So usually I would by playing with 3 other goons, and I'd do this team-killing thing to pubbies on my team for a laugh, but our well-coordinated goon team would still win despite losing 2 guys to friendly fire because pubbies are terrible.

Speaking of Mechwarrior online, the goon community that played this has pretty much dissolved, due to frustration with how terribly the game has been managed. We had a pretty good time in it's hayday though, and goons had a... reputation of sorts.

Long after we left, PGI continues to make hilariously bad decisions, with the clan mechs coming soon, they have added special golden mechs that you can buy along with them, and you can own one of these fabulous, shiny, not in way shape or form mechanically superior golden chariots for the low low price of five hundred U.S. dollars. So, I don't know about all of you guys who played the game way back in the day, but I plan to let my account go down in a blaze of glory and TK every dumb motherfucker in a gold mech come clan day.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
Squawking in MWO used to be one of the greatest roulettes in that game. A lot of pubbies would have no idea what was up and not respond, some would flip out like that guy did, some would try to pretend that they were goons as well. The greatest thing, in my opinion, was when two goon lances dropped against eachother, though, as then, it was time to play Pubbiemon.

Pubbiemon basically consisted of each goon calling out a specific pubbie that they were going to take under their wing. After everyone had chosen, we would urge our chosen pubbies forward into the fray, and then right as the shooting started, we would back off and start barking orders for them to use Pokemon moves. When they failed to follow our orders (usually because nobody was dumb enough to carry a flamer, so they couldn't use FLAMETHROWER), we would call them a bad 'mon and start threatening them with the effort belt, or spitefully telling them to use Selfdestruct or Explosion. The confusion from pubbies over this behavior was pretty awesome, but the betrayal felt by the winners of the 'mon battle was even better. The friendly handlers would congratulate them heartily while the hostile goons finally shifted their asses and murdered the momentarily victorious pubbies brutally.

Then occasionally we'd chatter about Pokemon centers for a while before we finally started getting around to killing eachother.

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
In MWO if you had an organized team playing against a random gaggle of pubbies, you pretty much won the match without trying. You didn't even need a full team of goons, just a few of you using voice comms were enough to completely stack the odds in your favor. Early in the game's history it was fun to tell the other team that you had a fully organized group and they were basically the fish in a barrel. Losing a match was somewhat painful as you got very little money if you lost and you had to pay for repairs, which would be substantial as we would normally dismantle enemy mechs piece by piece rather than go for quick torso kills, as it would incur the greatest repair bill.

But it wasn't necessarily hopeless for the poor buggers that got stuck facing us. The Word of Lowtax was a merciful group and sometimes we would throw a match and let them have a win if they would gang up and murder whichever member of their team we determined had the worst name; typically something with Kerensky in it. Fucker had a lot of kids it seems. Most of the time they wouldn't do as they're told, but when they did the rage of their poor sacrifice was always hilarious. I wish the game had a means of sending hatemails as the persecution complexes of all of these "Dark Wolf Kerensky" and "Aiden Pride Rainbow Kerensky"'s was amazing. Apparently being singled out for one's lovely name is a form of racism. Of course losing a match is rather expensive even goons need to pay the bills so after beating their own teammate to death it was only just that we declare them traitors to their team and deal with them summarily.

Eventually goons started naming themselves all manner of Kerensky's which drove the pubbies even crazier as we were besmirching the very serious robot honorable name of Battletech's most important character. Pubbies facing down an entire team of goon Kerensky's all driving Spiders (a god awful mech) and still losing.

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings
I feel like this article would be enjoyed here. Goons managed to (unwitting or not? I don't keep tabs on Star Citizen) grief a moderator into making the company seem misogynist.

quote:

"As always, this is extremely tedious," Lesnick said. "The user in question is also part of the Something Awful group, which made the moderator dealing with the issue believe the entire thread was a setup. This would not be the first time SA Goons have created an issue.

"However, on review and in spite of the sheer volume of concerned Goons coming out of the woodwork on this, I do not believe the thread was necessarily a setup and that several mistakes were made in terms of moderation."

The way it's being addressed is pretty cool in my book though.

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
The comments for that article are amazing.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
We should probably make a male only group on there. Watch the community tear itself apart over the argument of if its sexism or not. If it gets removed it'll be even funnier, because then they'll have another argument about how the female only group gets to stay while the male only group is banned.

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

DSauer posted:

The comments for that article are amazing.

quote:

Goons got sick of ruining their own forums. Annoy forum who don't want them. Forum bites back. They whine to the owners. They get their way by playing the -ism card.

The mod was right the first time anyway. No one wants modern goons brigading and the community has a right to tell them to get bent.

We are the worst...

razorscooter
Nov 5, 2008

It won't work because it's indistinguishable from most real clans/guilds/poopsocker's unions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-tf3ArH8ZNI

quote:

In this, a brand-new player in his very first mission with ShackTac proves to be awesome at giving out map coordinates and following directions after the rest of his squad is killed and he's left passing in and out of consciousness on a hillside. Unfortunately, the person he assumes is a teammate who just arrived to rescue him turns out to be none other than yours truly.

Arma can be a cruel game if you aren't very good at it.

Infinite Monkeys
Jul 18, 2010

If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention.
Make a 'Men Only Group' pretending to be a response to the 'Women Only Group', get a bunch of neckbeards to join it in the smug belief that they're proving a point, publicly post the dumb stuff they will definitely say and laugh at them.

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings

razorscooter posted:

This is amazing, the salute at the end is the cherry on top.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

razorscooter posted:

I've never played ARMA this seriously. Can someone explain how the guy's loving up the coordinates? They sound vaguely correct

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Spaced God posted:

I've never played ARMA this seriously. Can someone explain how the guy's loving up the coordinates? They sound vaguely correct

They are correct. The problem is the guys he's telling them to isnt on his team.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
In a weird fit of real life griefing/assholishness, CCP made an EVE monument. Within days, somebody stuck a Goonswarm sticker on it and scratched out somebody else's name: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-05-06-historic-real-life-eve-monument-defaced-in-days

The comments are hilarious: "Probably wasn't actually a goon, they're way too lazy"

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
How the gently caress did that guy find the name on there? Doesn't that thing have thousands of names on it?

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

dogstile posted:

How the gently caress did that guy find the name on there? Doesn't that thing have thousands of names on it?

From what I understand, there's a thing on the website where you put your name in and it shows you exactly where it is.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
I don't know how you guys can stand to watch that Arma video. Hearing EVERYONE loudly chortling into their mics was intolerable after about ten seconds. Maybe it would be funny if they would SHUT THE gently caress UP.

Also, does Vent Harassment fall under griefing? It's old as poo poo but I'll never get tired of Duke driving Peggy into hysterics.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ZRCGKwWgC8

Dick Burglar fucked around with this message at 01:51 on May 7, 2014

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

BALLS BALLS BALLS BALLS BALLS BALLS BAL

on the computer
Jan 4, 2012

Dick Burglar posted:

I don't know how you guys can stand to watch that Arma video. Hearing EVERYONE loudly chortling into their mics was intolerable after about ten seconds. Maybe it would be funny if they would SHUT THE gently caress UP.

"God...this is YouTube worthy"

"I'm taking screenshots right now"

"This is going to scar him for life!"

"This is better than HBO man"

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

kirbysuperstar posted:

In a weird fit of real life griefing/assholishness, CCP made an EVE monument. Within days, somebody stuck a Goonswarm sticker on it and scratched out somebody else's name: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-05-06-historic-real-life-eve-monument-defaced-in-days

The comments are hilarious: "Probably wasn't actually a goon, they're way too lazy"

The guy they scratched out is a terrible human being. Look up mysterious thing on SA and enjoy.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Comic posted:

I feel like this article would be enjoyed here. Goons managed to (unwitting or not? I don't keep tabs on Star Citizen) grief a moderator into making the company seem misogynist.

The way it's being addressed is pretty cool in my book though.

The Legend of Goonswarm and the fact that it echoes across the online gaming community never ceases to amuse me, nor does the bizarre overreaction that a lot of people have to even the presence of goons playing a game.

I wish there was a dedicated thread for posting examples of this sort of thing, so I could laugh at it without having to wade through the utter sewer that is the majority of game communities. That's probably the sort of stupid drama that the mods frown on nowadays, though.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

BatteredFeltFedora posted:

The Legend of Goonswarm and the fact that it echoes across the online gaming community never ceases to amuse me, nor does the bizarre overreaction that a lot of people have to even the presence of goons playing a game.

I wish there was a dedicated thread for posting examples of this sort of thing, so I could laugh at it without having to wade through the utter sewer that is the majority of game communities. That's probably the sort of stupid drama that the mods frown on nowadays, though.

I have met people who only know the Goons through EVE and are incredibly intimidated by the mere mention of us in other games. It's nice to think that while we might be eclipsed in popularity by other forums, we are apparently still the Bogeymen of the internet gaming community.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Dick Burglar posted:

Everyone else was in deadchat and had nothing else to do other than watch other players. Dsylexci is also infamous for doing amazing/cruel stuff like this.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
For those who don't want to look up who this Xenuria person is, they are apparently a neo-nazi who applied for a CSM role. And worse by the looks of it. Shame they only scratched it out.

TimNeilson
Dec 21, 2008

Hahaha!

CitizenKain posted:

For those who don't want to look up who this Xenuria person is, they are apparently a neo-nazi who applied for a CSM role. And worse by the looks of it. Shame they only scratched it out.

No, that's Fon Revedhort or however you spell his name. Xenuria is a different awful EVE player.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

BatteredFeltFedora posted:

I really wish I had a link to the first Age of Wushu thread, or at least archive access to find it. There were some amazing stories about how our reputation preceded us in that game. Off the top of my head, there was a leader of one of the Vietnamese guilds who also played Eve and got his ship blown up by goons. When he heard we had found his safe haven china game, he went utterly ballistic and declared eternal war on us, despite almost none of us knowing who the hell he was in Eve nor why he was so pissed.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

neogeo0823 posted:

I really wish I had a link to the first Age of Wushu thread, or at least archive access to find it. There were some amazing stories about how our reputation preceded us in that game. Off the top of my head, there was a leader of one of the Vietnamese guilds who also played Eve and got his ship blown up by goons. When he heard we had found his safe haven china game, he went utterly ballistic and declared eternal war on us, despite almost none of us knowing who the hell he was in Eve nor why he was so pissed.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3562960 This one?

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Well, I thought that was a new thread, considering all the good stories from back then were not present in the OP, but I guess they deleted them from there for whatever reason. Ah well, I can still go back and hunt for the good ones.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

1stGear posted:

Everyone else was in deadchat and had nothing else to do other than watch other players. Dsylexci is also infamous for doing amazing/cruel stuff like this.

I don't really care why people are obnoxious because it doesn't make the video any less unbearable to watch. People need to learn when to shut the hell up.

QwertySanchez
Jun 19, 2009

a wacky guy
The whole goon over-reaction thing happened in DayZ too, one guy went on the war path as soon as he found out goons were getting into the game, I think he even went as far as to try and join the forum and stalking the mumble channel, and posting people's personal information on the DayZ forums, pretty sure he got banned from there for something stupid along those lines.

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.

razorscooter posted:

It won't work because it's indistinguishable from most real clans/guilds/poopsocker's unions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-tf3ArH8ZNI

Dsylecxi's antics are wonderful

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjRhtUKmBKI

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

kirbysuperstar posted:

I just heard about this on the Co-Optional Podcast and laughed my rear end off. What's the dude's claim to infamy that caused his name to be singled out by Goonswarm specifically?

Every story involving Goonswarm in Eve is amazing

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Macaluso posted:

I just heard about this on the Co-Optional Podcast and laughed my rear end off. What's the dude's claim to infamy that caused his name to be singled out by Goonswarm specifically?

Pedophile autism and overrall creepy behavior. It's not limited to eve either. He tried to join goons in guild wars 2 and started spouting crap about us over game chat. He ended up getting the entire server, pubbies included, to hate him.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Macaluso posted:

Goonswarm doesn't care about him, he just thinks that they do. Otherwise he's a huge widely despised sperg. Someone scratching out his name happened days after the Goonswarm sticker and was completely unrelated

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Apparently, the three people behind it were permabanned, 8 accounts between the three of them. And a 4th is banned for 6 months. How the gently caress do you need four people to scratch out a name and put up a sticker?

https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=342705

• Locked thread