Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

The slaves are pretty apathetic considering that the scary highbloods are talking about wheter or not they'll become a lusus' dinner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
do you still not understand?

paradoxGentleman posted:

The slaves are pretty apathetic considering that the scary highbloods are talking about wheter or not they'll become a lusus' dinner.

It's pretty likely that Eridan forgot to mention that detail.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

paradoxGentleman posted:

It's all fun and games till spidermom eats all the slaves.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

ProfessorProf posted:

It's pretty likely that Eridan forgot to mention that detail.

Of course it slipped his mind, but he's talking about it right now, with them within hearing distance. You'd think that would get their attention away from their cellphones or the view.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

They just filter out anything Eridan says after a while.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Let's be honest, if you were stuck on a boat with Eridan you'd want to get off as soon as possible too.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(

YggiDee posted:

I knew all those years of obsessive image saving would come in handy!

Peatpot. Badcrumble. Jesus this thing's old.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

paradoxGentleman posted:

They're trolls, it's not like death, bloodshed, or thinking they can rear end-kick their way out of whatever trouble they get into is new to them. They don't know that protagonists are talking.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Plom Bar posted:

Vilerat :smith:

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Man I hate siding with Eridan, Vriska why you gotta shovel these inoffensive extras into your freaky mother's gullet? That's like at least the eight-worst crime on your list of terrible behaviour.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

:patriot:

RZApublican posted:

I prefer the companion piece

Someone will be bought avatars like these. Someday.

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010
I think we're about to see an all-ones roll.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Plom Bar posted:

At least aatrek's not on there.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
The Critical Whale gets right to the point.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

The Critical Whale lands nothing but critical hits.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
Why is this comic so bad?

SexyBrianPuppet
Oct 5, 2010

remember, you are talking to the pranking MASTER.
It's a Homestuck spin-off.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Darth Windu posted:

Because Hussie's dick doesn't touch every page before it gets uploaded.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
I was talking about Homestuck, I don't care about some lame spinoff. It is horribly written and paced. The plot is interesting but all the meta masturbation is boring, and you can skip the majority of the pages without any real loss. Then of course it has to end right when the action starts, because moving the plot along is hard

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The majority of the comic is in the interactions between the characters; it focuses a lot on that more than any semblance of a plot because that's what people like. Hussie has finally got around to establishing the 30-some-odd characters in this thing so now he's got to give them all a turn to ride on the flesh this character out float in the meandering plot parade.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

CJacobs posted:

The majority of the comic is in the interactions between the characters; it focuses a lot on that more than any semblance of a plot because that's what people like. Hussie has finally got around to establishing the 30-some-odd characters in this thing so now he's got to give them all a turn to ride on the flesh this character out float in the meandering plot parade.

Do people really like that? Man, weird. It was hard enough when he dumped the four kids and started in on the twelve original trolls, most of whom are useless. Now there's another twelve? And kids who are basically but not really the original four kids?

The only good characters are the ones critical to the plot like John, Dave, other Dave, and Roxy. Karkat is interesting as a straight man...straight guy? I forget the term. The cherub(s) are/were really good as well and are obviously really important so that is neat. I guess all the green and black guys come from another comic? Should I read the rest of the MS Paint Adventures? Don't answer that, I don't want to. Reading seven thousand pages of this one is bad enough.

Have their been any polls to show that people like that? Is Hussie really doing all the waffling just to appease them?

I just did a little searching and there doesn't seem to really be a big poll for popularity among the characters, but I can't imagine people are enjoying the dozens of forgettable trolls who are introduced, given a throwaway bit of exposition, then promptly ignored. It is objectively poor storytelling.

Kudos to the creator for cashing in on weird internet people but goddamn the man is a hack.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The trolls are actually the most popular characters. The original trolls, not the newer shittier ones.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Darth Windu posted:

Aren't you the guy who wrote in defense of shipping the gunnerkrigg characters and really thought their Love was True and couldn't remember their three/four letter names.

If you can't follow a regular comic like Gunnerkrigg Court then of course homestuck is going to give you problems.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Darth Windu posted:

Do people really like that? Man, weird. It was hard enough when he dumped the four kids and started in on the twelve original trolls, most of whom are useless. Now there's another twelve? And kids who are basically but not really the original four kids?

The only good characters are the ones critical to the plot like John, Dave, other Dave, and Roxy. Karkat is interesting as a straight man...straight guy? I forget the term. The cherub(s) are/were really good as well and are obviously really important so that is neat. I guess all the green and black guys come from another comic? Should I read the rest of the MS Paint Adventures? Don't answer that, I don't want to. Reading seven thousand pages of this one is bad enough.

Have their been any polls to show that people like that? Is Hussie really doing all the waffling just to appease them?

I just did a little searching and there doesn't seem to really be a big poll for popularity among the characters, but I can't imagine people are enjoying the dozens of forgettable trolls who are introduced, given a throwaway bit of exposition, then promptly ignored. It is objectively poor storytelling.

Kudos to the creator for cashing in on weird internet people but goddamn the man is a hack.

Rita Repulsa posted:

Aren't you the guy who wrote in defense of shipping the gunnerkrigg characters and really thought their Love was True and couldn't remember their three/four letter names.

If you can't follow a regular comic like Gunnerkrigg Court then of course homestuck is going to give you problems.

Hahahaha

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

Rita Repulsa posted:

I have no idea what you're talking about with the first part.

And as far as the second goes, not being able to keep up on all the characters in a comic with - what - 30? 40? of them doesn't really reflect poorly on me. I never had trouble remembering who people were in Gunnerkrigg. Which also has a problem with pacing, by the way, though obviously not as big of one.

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

The comic's fanbase didn't really explode until the trolls started showing up all together. Most of the trolls are jokes, but jokes that internet teenagers like and identify with. I don't think I'd call them a waste of time, because they all made me laugh at one point or another.

But Homestuck--and MS Paint Adventures entirely--is and was never going to be a tightly-plotted, seamless masterpiece. Hussie put too much emphasis on reader interaction in the beginning, and reader zeitgeist later, and throws too many things at the wall for it to even resemble a "finished," edited work.

quote:

Is Hussie really doing all the waffling just to appease them?

I think a lot of his waffling is done to buy time to hammer out plot things and whatever else. I don't get the impression that he's done a lot within the comic "for the fans," unless you count gentle, good-natured mockery. I doubt very much there's much in Homestuck that Hussie himself did or does not enjoy on some level.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
Thanks for the explanation. I thought I read that this was the first comic he had done with no reader interaction? Pretty sure it says that on the wikipedia page for it.

This is what happens when the creator of the best webcomic in the world has a massive artistic breakdown due to the stress of setting his soul to paper in the form of wobbly jello mutants. I turn to lesser dreck. Oh well.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Darth Windu posted:

Do people really like that? Man, weird. It was hard enough when he dumped the four kids and started in on the twelve original trolls, most of whom are useless. Now there's another twelve? And kids who are basically but not really the original four kids? [...] I just did a little searching and there doesn't seem to really be a big poll for popularity among the characters, but I can't imagine people are enjoying the dozens of forgettable trolls who are introduced, given a throwaway bit of exposition, then promptly ignored. It is objectively poor storytelling.

Do you have a problem with the dude introducing and then promptly (and correctly) ignoring characters or not?

Also, 10 of those new 12 characters are just one-off tumblr jokes. They exist basically exclusively within their walkaround flashes.

E:

Darth Windu posted:

Thanks for the explanation. I thought I read that this was the first comic he had done with no reader interaction? Pretty sure it says that on the wikipedia page for it.

He basically stopped taking reader suggestions around Act 4 or 5, I forget when.

quote:

This is what happens when the creator of the best webcomic in the world has a massive artistic breakdown due to the stress of setting his soul to paper in the form of wobbly jello mutants. I turn to lesser dreck. Oh well.

No, this is what happens when you write a huge story as a first draft. Prior to the current pause Hussie posted panel sets immediately after finishing them.

King of Solomon fucked around with this message at 07:30 on May 9, 2014

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

I'd much prefer reading a good story that focuses on interaction between characters than a lovely plot-driven story.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

paradoxGentleman posted:

I'd much prefer reading a good story that focuses on interaction between characters than a lovely plot-driven story.

You should check out Goblins then, it's much better than this poo poo. Unfortunately like I mentioned the creator had a mental breakdown like all great artists and has taken a break.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Darth Windu posted:

I have no idea what you're talking about with the first part.

And as far as the second goes, not being able to keep up on all the characters in a comic with - what - 30? 40? of them doesn't really reflect poorly on me. I never had trouble remembering who people were in Gunnerkrigg. Which also has a problem with pacing, by the way, though obviously not as big of one.

Aren't you the guy who barged into the Attack on Titan anime thread, saying that you had figured out the totally predictable plot and that the manga confirmed your predictions, and then rattled off a bunch of stuff that never actually happens?

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Darth Windu posted:

...Are you talking about Goblins? Did you just call Goblins the best webcomic in the world? :lol:

edit: man you almost got me, I think reading the gbs webcomic thread has broken my brain.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Darth Windu posted:

You should check out Goblins then, it's much better than this poo poo. Unfortunately like I mentioned the creator had a mental breakdown like all great artists and has taken a break.
You have seriously questionable taste.

Goblins had a good premise, some funny moments and a couple of nice ideas but it rapidly became a barely understandable, unnecessarily edgy clusterfuck. The story jumps from a storyline to the next at inappropriate times; Homestuck does it too, to a certain extent, but unlike Hussie's work the characters aren't memorable enough to get me to care about their destiny and remember what they are doing.
I don't object to the art style as much as some other people do, but I do feel it's not pretty to look at.

I've also heard that the author is often begging for money and a drama queen, but I can't honestly confirm that.

paradoxGentleman fucked around with this message at 09:59 on May 9, 2014

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Coming from anyone but Darth Windu I'd assume that was a sarcastic recommendation.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
darth windu strikes in another thread

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

There sure are some interesting personalities here on the SA forums.
Which reminds me: what exactly makes koos special? From what I understand, it's got something to do with Homestuck, but I didn't quite get it when it was mentioned some time ago.

Cavatica
Nov 2, 2010

I'd rather talk about that whale instead of Goblins.

Anyway, I liked this story a lot! It had really decent art, nailed the characters, and has a decent flow. It didn't suffer from an overextended punchline like the zoo or Bec playing ones. Each page had a point and a purpose.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

paradoxGentleman posted:

There sure are some interesting personalities here on the SA forums.
Which reminds me: what exactly makes koos special? From what I understand, it's got something to do with Homestuck, but I didn't quite get it when it was mentioned some time ago.

Some did not understand Koos' love, both for Homestuck and for these boards.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Hey, it's that guy who's almost always wrong about everything. Let's ignore him. :geno:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Bongo Bill posted:

Some did not understand Koos' love, both for Homestuck and for these boards.

Was it a tough love sort of thing, or a weird way to express one's feelings, or something else?