Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you like what your team did in the draft?
This poll is closed.
Yes! 216 60.34%
No 20 5.59%
lol 65 18.16%
gently caress 38 10.61%
I'm a Skins fan, is something going on right now? 19 5.31%
Total: 358 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I bet he is a good kid, but how bad do the Texans look if he turns out to be an All Pro and we were RIGHT loving THERE ALL IT TOOK WAS A FOURTH ROUND PICK AND IT WAS OBVIOUSLY GOING TO HAPPEN.

It still irritates me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Crazy Ted posted:

Don't forget that one of the things with Gabbert was that he supposedly had photographic memory which gave him the ability to memorize offenses at incredible speed. This was actually a thing people took seriously.

Most people on here are too young to remember Adam Archuletta's pre draft hype but he was literally electrocuting himself to "stimulate fast twitch muscle growth" and ESPN was going nuts about how committed he was and such a workout warrior.

I remember as part of "building fast twitch muscle" he'd climb to the top of a ladder then belly flop onto the floor.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

Brannock posted:

We already drafted a safety and Mosley is off the board so I honestly idk. Seferian-Jenkins might be okay if the front office genuinely believes Finley won't return? Other than that I'd like a center but none are really right for #53 and I think Ted might trade down. Weston Richburg, Travis Swanson, or Chris Borland for the 2nd maybe. I'm a big Wisconsin homer so don't take my opinion as anything remotely approaching a good idea.

Looking at the TFF Draft Sheet, looks like there's not really any big guys in the projected 2nd round for what our needs are listed as. So I suppose gently caress it draft michael sam :getin:

Idiot Kicker
Jun 13, 2007
Houston taking another Carr is funny to me (I'm neutral on the Texans), also I'm waiting for him to be a backup for San Francisco in 9 years.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

RumbleFish posted:

Really hope the Panthers go offense again in the second (either another WR or OT) then pick up a DB in the third.

I hope they ignore DB completely. They showed last year they don't need any actual real players in the secondary.

Want an OL, Abbracadabra or whatever that kids name is, then spend the rest of the picks on the biggest, strongest, fastest people and worry about teaching them football later.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

Idiot Kicker posted:

I'm ready for all the "abort" jokes next season, if anyone watches a Jaguars game that is.
I'm going to reserve judgment on Jimmie Ward because the 49ers front office knows a lot more than I do. My gut feeling was negative, but he actually seems like he could be a nice pick. Add a wide receiver tomorrow and I'll be content.

It makes sense because he competes at nickel CB, provides depth at safety, and has a lot of special teams experience. I was hoping for them to make a bigger move for a more immediate impact player, but it's not a pick I disagree with conceptually at all. If they get aggressive for WRs on Day 2 (they could easily pick more than one) then I think they'll be in a very solid position for the rest of the draft.

Roasted Donut
Aug 24, 2007

NWA WHITE POWERRR!!!!

Militree posted:

I agree with all this but you can't tell me they weren't good values. Don't get me wrong I'm a little concerned about CB but less concerned than if we had Dennard. The draft is deep for CBs this year. I honestly would rather them shore up the DL next round and take CB for our comp pick.

I also trust in Wheaton more than anyone really should.

Looking for calue instead of a good QB got us Cortez Allen, who owns, but also complete poo poo like Curtis Brown, Joe Burnett, Terry Hawthorne, Crezdon Butler, etc.. Dennard would help this team infinitely more than anyone else they could have picked as that spot. It's deep for CBs in the sense that there are CBs after Dennard/Gilbert/Fuller, but none of them are anywhere close to as good.

God drat drafting Landry Jones last year and giving up this year's regular 3rd round pick looks so much loving worse than it already did now

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

FizFashizzle posted:

I hope they ignore DB completely. They showed last year they don't need any actual real players in the secondary.

Want an OL, Abbracadabra or whatever that kids name is, then spend the rest of the picks on the biggest, strongest, fastest people and worry about teaching them football later.

Abbrederis

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Star and Frank Alexander both D linemen for the panthers had the same issue, both slipped down boards because of it, neither have ever had the whisper of an issue.

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president

FizFashizzle posted:

then spend the rest of the picks on the biggest, strongest, fastest people and worry about teaching them football later.

This strategy nets you Darrius Heyward-Bey and a lot of headaches

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

Idiot Kicker posted:

I'm ready for all the "abort" jokes next season, if anyone watches a Jaguars game that is.
I'm going to reserve judgment on Jimmie Ward because the 49ers front office knows a lot more than I do. My gut feeling was negative, but he actually seems like he could be a nice pick. Add a wide receiver tomorrow and I'll be content.

He's a guy that literally everyone liked, but never thought the 49ers would take because A) Safety was the first pick last year, and B) They haven't taken a CB in the first round for like 10 years.

Be happy with the pick, he should be great.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Crazy Larry posted:

Man, talk about your swings of luck - Texans go from being one pick away from getting Clowney and the guy who was the top qb a month ago to having to explain how Savage/McCarron/Mettenberger are legit franchise qbs or that Carr 2.0 isn't his brother. I'd feel bad for them if it wasn't so funny.
You guys keep forgetting that the Texans are still talking to the Patriots about a trade for Ryan Mallett

I mean I know people forgot once the draft got underway but that's still a thing

Roasted Donut
Aug 24, 2007

NWA WHITE POWERRR!!!!
O'Brien is gonna make Keenum look good so whatever you'll draft a QB better than Bridgewater in the first next year

Idiot Kicker
Jun 13, 2007

Grozz Nuy posted:

It makes sense because he competes at nickel CB, provides depth at safety, and has a lot of special teams experience. I was hoping for them to make a bigger move for a more immediate impact player, but it's not a pick I disagree with conceptually at all. If they get aggressive for WRs on Day 2 (they could easily pick more than one) then I think they'll be in a very solid position for the rest of the draft.

Thank you for your response. I think seeing "safety" instead of "cornerback" threw me for a loop at first. I didn't watch the draft because I was at work, but I had the draftcast thing open on my computer.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Blitz7x posted:

You mean someone who'd start for Carolina right now?

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

FizFashizzle posted:

Most people on here are too young to remember Adam Archuletta's pre draft hype but he was literally electrocuting himself to "stimulate fast twitch muscle growth" and ESPN was going nuts about how committed he was and such a workout warrior.

I remember as part of "building fast twitch muscle" he'd climb to the top of a ladder then belly flop onto the floor.
Let us not forget the man who pioneered training specifically for the combine: Mike Mamula.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

Idiot Kicker posted:

Thank you for your response. I think seeing "safety" instead of "cornerback" threw me for a loop at first. I didn't watch the draft because I was at work, but I had the draftcast thing open on my computer.

Think of him like a slightly bigger Tyrann Mathieu. Same general scheme fit.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Blitz7x posted:

To be fair, you should know ahead of time that you can't teach a pair of stones to catch a football.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Blitz7x posted:

I think Fiz was more or less getting at all we really need out of this draft is an offensive lineman and that's about it. The rest of the guys are going to be back ups anyway.

That said I kind of disagree and hope if they get Abbredis they go BPA regardless of position even if its RB.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.

Lessail posted:

Looking at the TFF Draft Sheet, looks like there's not really any big guys in the projected 2nd round for what our needs are listed as. So I suppose gently caress it draft michael sam :getin:

TE jumps out at me, one of Amaro/ASJ/Niklas should be available. ILB, if Borland's there, though TT never takes Wisconsin guys. Nix if he drops that far, though doubtful. Or any one of the WRs that should be available, though we could probably wait until the 3rd round for that.

Gnarly Bae Jepsen
Jul 12, 2007

Manic Pixie Dick Girl

Roasted Donut posted:

Looking for calue instead of a good QB got us Cortez Allen, who owns, but also complete poo poo like Curtis Brown, Joe Burnett, Terry Hawthorne, Crezdon Butler, etc.. Dennard would help this team infinitely more than anyone else they could have picked as that spot. It's deep for CBs in the sense that there are CBs after Dennard/Gilbert/Fuller, but none of them are anywhere close to as good.

God drat drafting Landry Jones last year and giving up this year's regular 3rd round pick looks so much loving worse than it already did now

Drafting Landry Jones was the shittiest poo poo thing that The Steelers have done in the draft. I honestly don't think that Dennard will pan out in the NFL and once Fuller was gone I had no idea what they were going to do. I was happy with the result. Well see how the rest of the draft pans out but I can sleep relatively well tonight.

Action George
Apr 13, 2013

Quest For Glory II posted:

You guys keep forgetting that the Texans are still talking to the Patriots about a trade for Ryan Mallett

I mean I know people forgot once the draft got underway but that's still a thing

Oh man, the Texans trading pick 33 for Mallet might be funnier than franchise qb AJ McCarron.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Crazy Ted posted:

Let us not forget the man who pioneered training specifically for the combine: Mike Mamula.

If it wasn't for the trade up and one of the picks turning into Warren Sapp I'm not convinced we'd remember him as anything other than slightly disappointing. It's not like he was completely awful.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

BlindSite posted:

I think Fiz was more or less getting at all we really need out of this draft is an offensive lineman and that's about it. The rest of the guys are going to be back ups anyway.

That said I kind of disagree and hope if they get Abbredis they go BPA regardless of position even if its RB.

Nah I just mean prognosticating after the third round is kinda silly. Just get the biggest strongest people you can, or the guy who fell because of weed.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Crazy Larry posted:

Oh man, the Texans trading pick 33 for Mallet might be funnier than franchise qb AJ McCarron.

There's no chance that happens, they're discussing a 5-7

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

FizFashizzle posted:

Mettenberger has a potentially severe spinal condition.

Is that why he can't move in the pocket?

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Crazy Larry posted:

We also forgot that AJ McCarron said that he was a first round pick and that teams told him he was a first round pick.

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

kony or van noy is going to fall to the bengals and then they'll take like travis swanson or some poo poo in the 3rd and everything will own

Zifnab
Aug 21, 2005

Hope Springs Eternal

FizFashizzle posted:

I think Benjamin is the exact kind of WR the Panthers need.

I just wish he was a better player and every time I look at him he just screams "I AM GOING TO GET FAT."

Hopefully Ricky Proehl can turn him into something solid.

Benjamin reminds me a lot of the USC Mike Williams

That's not a good thing

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Zifnab posted:

That's not a good thing

How did he get hosed over by the NCAA?

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I'm glad for the third round pick but I'm still kinda mad that Philly gave Manziel to Cleveland just to screw over Andy Reid. Manziel could have played for Andy Reid.

If Manziel busts it's all Philly's fault

Action George
Apr 13, 2013

Intruder posted:

There's no chance that happens, they're discussing a 5-7

I refuse to believe this because that is a reasonable trade and robs me of the humor of the Texans taking basically any of the remaining qbs.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Crazy Larry posted:

Man, talk about your swings of luck - Texans go from being one pick away from getting Clowney and the guy who was the top qb a month ago to having to explain how Savage/McCarron/Mettenberger are legit franchise qbs or that Carr 2.0 isn't his brother. I'd feel bad for them if it wasn't so funny.

It's about par for the course for the Houston Texans.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

Abugadu posted:

TE jumps out at me, one of Amaro/ASJ/Niklas should be available. ILB, if Borland's there, though TT never takes Wisconsin guys. Nix if he drops that far, though doubtful. Or any one of the WRs that should be available, though we could probably wait until the 3rd round for that.

I like ASJ's name let's get hyphens all up in here

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
Hey Dee Ford had his own Sports Science segment, that's gotta be a good thing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CjRfwu5QWPc

So it takes him 3.19 seconds to get past some punching bags and tackle a dummy...when the average QB gets the ball out in under 3 seconds

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Zifnab posted:

That's not a good thing

He reminds me far more of Alshon Jeffrey who had the same positives and the same knocks on them about lacking elite speed and allowing too many catches into their body / minor drop issues.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Quest For Glory II posted:

I'm glad for the third round pick but I'm still kinda mad that Philly gave Manziel to Cleveland just to screw over Andy Reid. Manziel could have played for Andy Reid.

If Manziel busts it's all Philly's fault

I'm glad I don't have to root for Manziel to bust now. In fact, I don't have to hate them at all. Go 16-0 Browns, and I'll cheer the whole way.

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

Blake Bortles could be really good if his name wasn't Blake Bortles.

You'd think the Jags would've learned the name lesson after they drafted BLAINE GABBERT.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle
Johnny Football is a Brown and everything is good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Intruder posted:

Teddy seems like a good kid, I hope he does well

I think you need to be at least 20 years older than a person to call them a kid unless they're actually a child.

• Locked thread