Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Jose posted:

They should just use the SPL for it. Nobody would care and the travel distance isn't too bad

:argh:

euroboy posted:

How you prevent clubs like Chelsea paying an 18 year old danish youth teamer £20k p/w before he's even played for the first team is a bit more complicated I guess. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...-time-soon.html

Islam Feruz was billed as the next big thing up here but is currently rotting in the Chelsea U21 team because they tapped him up and offered him stupid money. There needs to be some way to stop teams just hoovering every possible prospect and then letting them rot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Potato Count: 2 small potatoes
Why is a young player playing for a youth team a bad thing?

kcer
May 28, 2004

Today is good weather
for an airstrike.

jyrka posted:

It's only a bad thing when the super rich clubs buy prospective youth players only to put them in their youth team and forget about them, as they'll just buy established senior players anyway. The complaint is that these kids don't develop as England Expects because they don't see enough genuine competitive football.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Who was the last Chelsea youth team player to actually become a proper first team player. There are reports Newcastle are planning on selling a load of players from our youth team because they've not developed as wanted and aren't considered good enough any more. To be expected when Pardew never plays them and they didn't go out on loan

fat gay nonce
May 13, 2003
actual penis length: |-----------|

Winner, PWM POTM January

Jose posted:

Who was the last Chelsea youth team player to actually become a proper first team player. There are reports Newcastle are planning on selling a load of players from our youth team because they've not developed as wanted and aren't considered good enough any more. To be expected when Pardew never plays them and they didn't go out on loan

Sounds like Newcastle are as bad as Chelsea?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

fat gay nonce posted:

Sounds like Newcastle are as bad as Chelsea?

At the minute pretty much we just don't do it with as many young players. Its a bit poo poo since I thought at least Bigirmana and Vuckic were going to be good enough

Edit: L'equipe are reporting that Newcastle and Villa have both contacted St Etienne about hiring their manager

Jose fucked around with this message at 09:19 on May 9, 2014

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

Tortuga means turtle, and that's me. I take my time but I always win.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

Just so I'm clear on it, The FA are going to crowbar in an extra league above the Conference to essentially give the English national team a bigger pool of technically-inferior-to-their-European-counterparts homegrown players with which to choose a squad to fail in a major tournament? I'd also like to ask The FA when was the last time an English youth player snapped up by a major European team to put in their academy, in the same way the United grabbed Januzaj, etc?

Dale Jennings to Bayern in 2011?

euroboy
Mar 24, 2004

jyrka posted:

Its a good thing up until they need first team football and ends up getting shipped around to two or three clubs in the football league every season with a various degree of success.

Very, very few of the youngsters at the "big clubs" ends up actually playing for them (in Arsenals case, the only academy players I can think of the last 10 years must be Cole, Gibbs and Wilshere), although I guess most of them goes on to have good professional careers somewhere else.

To use Cardiffs Mats Møller Dæhli as another example - he was a part of Manchester Uniteds academy and had the choice of being shipped around on loan for a few years and maybe getting a shot at being in the first team squad after that or leaving permanently for first team football at a lower level. He went to Molde for a year, massively improved and he's impressed for Cardiff after that. Leaving United was the right thing to do, unless he wanted to play for a bunch of championship clubs every year.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

jyrka posted:

If young players only get to play against other young players in meaningless kickabouts they are completely unprepared to play against the mass monsters that inhabit the Best League In The World(tm) the English British Premier League.

Competitive match time against poo poo lower league cloggers is vital to their development.

TelekineticBear!
Feb 19, 2009

Cardiff are really poo poo, all of their January signings were absolute shite

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí

TelekineticBear! posted:

Cardiff are really poo poo, all of their January signings were absolute shite

yeah but you should see the yacht they bought for 20le's agent

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Official Manchester United Posting Partner 2015/16
Fan of Britches

Whats this nickname about

TelekineticBear!
Feb 19, 2009

Eau de MacGowan posted:

yeah but you should see the yacht they bought for 20le's agent

Another failed ex-man united player turned manager, the list is just getting stupidly long now

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí

Taff posted:

Whats this nickname about

isnt that what united fans call him? i see it all over youtube

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Fan of Britches

Eau de MacGowan posted:

isnt that what united fans call him? i see it all over youtube

there is a banner with 20 LEGEND with the O LE highlighted but ive never seen him called 20le

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
well its easier to type than fumbling with js and ss and ks so thats why i typed it

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

I'd also like to ask The FA when was the last time an English youth player snapped up by a major European team to put in their academy, in the same way the United grabbed Januzaj, etc?

About two years ago when Bayern signed Dale Jennings.

TelekineticBear!
Feb 19, 2009

Taff posted:

there is a banner with 20 LEGEND with the O LE highlighted but ive never seen him called 20le

embarassing stuff

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Spangly A posted:

About two years ago when Bayern signed Dale Jennings.

There was a kid at Atletico Madrid signed who Hull signed in January after his contract ran out

TelekineticBear!
Feb 19, 2009

Jose posted:

There was a kid at Atletico Madrid signed who Hull signed in January after his contract ran out

Elliot Kebbie, he was snapped up by Atletico from Leeds a few years back for a £1million fee or something

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

TelekineticBear! posted:

Elliot Kebbie, he was snapped up by Atletico from Leeds a few years back for a £1million fee or something

Kebbie was from Leeds? I always assumed his parents were expats.

The reason English kids don't get poached isn't to do with native talent, English clubs can give players proper contracts at 16 (which Spain and France definitely can't do, don't know about Germany) and we have far more money in the league than anyone but the constant CL presences in Europe.

Didn't Barca try to snap up some English kids from Arsenal in retaliation for those two 16 year olds they poached a year or two ago?

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Chelsea: not even once

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

You would think all these kids would look at what happens to other Chelsea "youth prospects" and decide maybe they should go somewhere else, but I guess the decision making of the average 16 year old wannabe professional footballer isn't that strong and it's hard to turn down the stacks of cash.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
While we are terrible how many of the other top 4 have former youth teamers playing regularly for them?

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

Corrode posted:

You would think all these kids would look at what happens to other Chelsea "youth prospects" and decide maybe they should go somewhere else, but I guess the decision making of the average 16 year old wannabe professional footballer isn't that strong and it's hard to turn down the stacks of cash.

16 year olds literally can't make good decisions because their brains aren't developed. Only those with undeveloped brains would sign as a youth player for Chelsea. Which is good for them, really, because FFP.

Also yeah money.

flyingkiwi
Jun 1, 2012

Wowzers!
They might never have made it the kind of level they'd dream about regardless of whether they rot at Chelsea, but they're definitely rich now whether they would or wouldn't have.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

You also have an agent who wants a pay day, telling you you're definitely definitely good enough to be starting ahead of Hazard, Shurrle and Willian.

euroboy
Mar 24, 2004

Spangly A posted:

Didn't Barca try to snap up some English kids from Arsenal in retaliation for those two 16 year olds they poached a year or two ago?

They offered a contract to Benik Afobe but he turned it down.

They signed some bad players from Arsenal in retaliation for the kids they poached from them.

Monday Bandele
Apr 26, 2008
Working with the best coaches in the best facilities and training with and observing world class players are some big draws too.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
Tbf while you might get a better chance of playing for arsenal than Chelsea, you will probably end up paralysed from the waist down at 30. Explains why arsenal players are getting these juicy analyst roles on tv

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

Tortuga means turtle, and that's me. I take my time but I always win.

hadji murad posted:

While we are terrible how many of the other top 4 have former youth teamers playing regularly for them?

Liverpool have Gerrard, Flanno and Kelly. Sterling signed when he was 14 so probably counts. Then I suppose it's just Wilshire, Gibbs and Richards for the other 2.

Thirteenth Step
Mar 3, 2004

Corrode posted:

i know i keep moaning n about it but izzy brown is doing very well in the chelsea youth and it's a shame as he's a great player and was playing in our first team.

he'll never see a minute of a meaningful chelsea match and its a huge waste

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006

Strawman posted:

Liverpool have Gerrard, Flanno and Kelly. Sterling signed when he was 14 so probably counts. Then I suppose it's just Wilshire, Gibbs and Richards for the other 2.

Much better than us.

Fake edit: we just signed a 16 year old from FC Zurich

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Found this on twitter comparing England/Germany/Spain coaches. No wonder there are so fewer

UEFA 'A' Coaches:
England - 1,178
Germany - 5,500
Spain - 12,720

Cost of Course:
England - £5,600
Germany - €530
Spain - €1,200

Modus Trollens
Sep 12, 2010

Jose posted:

Found this on twitter comparing England/Germany/Spain coaches. No wonder there are so fewer

UEFA 'A' Coaches:
England - 1,178
Germany - 5,500
Spain - 12,720

Cost of Course:
England - £5,600
Germany - €530
Spain - €1,200

English coaches need to pull themselves up by their boot straps or soon we'll all be taking naps and not going to the super markets on Sunday

TelekineticBear!
Feb 19, 2009

The more I think about the FA proposal the madder I get, is there any reasonable argument that supports it? I dont think ive ever seen a stupider idea other than the whole get rid of relegation and promotion one

kcer
May 28, 2004

Today is good weather
for an airstrike.
I think people are getting a bit silly with how angry they seem. It's just not a good idea, it's not rage inducing.

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Fan of Britches

TelekineticBear! posted:

The more I think about the FA proposal the madder I get, is there any reasonable argument that supports it? I dont think ive ever seen a stupider idea other than the whole get rid of relegation and promotion one

I think its a great idea. Get rid of some of these two bob clubs that no on cares about. It'd certainly make my Football Manager games easier to play

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

About 200,000 people go to lower league games each match day. Lol who cares about football fans though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

J Hume
Apr 23, 2013

What is the best number?
I'm hearing two slightly contradictory claims:

1) The lower leagues have a strong supporter culture, with fans who are fiercely loyal to their crappy teams.
2) All the loyal fans will abandon their crappy teams to go watch Manchester United B.

I think it could be good for everyone, including bringing new fans to the lower divisions.

• Locked thread