Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth

Lava Lamp Goddess posted:

Witcher 2 I assume?

If your game is crashing to desktop during quick saves or when loading cutscenes, it's due to a lack of cached virtual memory. This fix lets programs have 4gb instead of 2: http://steamcommunity.com/app/20900/discussions/0/864975026790425356/

That is for Win7 64bit. If you have 32bit there is a similar fix, just google for it. If you have Win8, I don't know.

I have Vista. Do they make one for that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lava Lamp Goddess
Feb 19, 2007

http://www.overclock.net/t/282271/how-to-fix-the-witcher-not-to-freeze

This looks like it has the fix for both 32 and 64bit versions of Vista. Hope it works for you!

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

I've tried to get back to playing Witcher 2 for ages, wanting to recreate my old savegame for 3, but somehow I can't. Not because I loathe the game, I loved it to bits, but I somehow feel like I'm ruining the experience I first had with it ages ago by trying to recreate that one way I played Geralt back in the day, even though I was satisfied with how the ending turned out.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

evilmiera posted:

I've tried to get back to playing Witcher 2 for ages, wanting to recreate my old savegame for 3, but somehow I can't. Not because I loathe the game, I loved it to bits, but I somehow feel like I'm ruining the experience I first had with it ages ago by trying to recreate that one way I played Geralt back in the day, even though I was satisfied with how the ending turned out.

Just download a savegame which matches your choices when the game comes out, I'm sure there'll be something like that available, if there isn't already.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
I noticed a ton of stuff on a replay I didn't catch the first time through so even a complete retread is worthwhile in my opinion.

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
None of it worked. I'm really beginning to regret purchasing this game if it can't even work without crashing.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Instead of using the Steam version, you can try installing the GOG version. You can get it for free with your Steam key: http://www.gog.com/witcher/backup

It's worth a shot.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Apr 15, 2014

NatasDog
Feb 9, 2009

Mycroft Holmes posted:

None of it worked. I'm really beginning to regret purchasing this game if it can't even work without crashing.

How far in are you? I had problems somewhere during/after Act 2 because the sheer number of autosaves this game makes were filling up whatever limit there is in place on the number of save files. I deleted all but the last 10 or so saves and was able to complete the game from there on. The save files are pretty big too IIRC, so it's worthwhile to keep them cleaned up to save disk space; when I ran SpaceSniffer to figure out where all my disk space went the save folder for W2 was one of my worst offenders.

COOKIEMONSTER
Oct 31, 2006
As an affluent straight white male I know quite a bit second hand what it's like to be incredibly poor and oppressed.
Just finished all the novels and now I'm confused why Zoltan is a major character in the games. He was barely around in the novels, whereas Yarpin Zigrin was in like practically every book and way cooler.

Anyways I'm not sure if the guy who asked to sum up the Wild Hunt as part of the novels is still interested(or even reading this thread ever again) but:

The Wild Hunt flies over the world giving everyone who had anything to do with Ciri nightmare visions of her getting gravely wounded and nearly killed.

Later she tries to get to the tower of the Swallow to escape pursuers. She races towards it while having a total panic attack of terror because an exceedingly dangerous sociopath named Bonhart is chasing her down. Suddenly out of nowhere the sky breaks and the Wild Hunt apparates. The king of the wild hunt appears right in front of Bonhart telling him 'to flee that the child of elder blood is theirs, ect ect' this scares Bonhart's horse so badly it throws him from the saddle, and Ciri is free to escape into the tower where she is transported/kidnapped into the Elven alternate dimension world.

There among other things it is revealed that the Wild Hunt kidnaps people and uses them as a slave race.

Later when she escapes from the world by teleporting from dimension to dimension(including ending up on Earth a few times) they pursue her through dimensions and spacetime for awhile before she escapes.

If you're interested in beyond 'what the Wild Hunt does,' and more interested in who the gently caress are they exactly and why are they doing any of this. Which is a part I glossed over previously:

Part of the prophecy about Ciri is basically that an offspring of Lara Dorren will dominate the world and probably save it from the coming ice age. She also has a power of time and space that Lara Dorren had genetically. When the Conjunction of Spheres occurred a lot of the elves apparently had the power and they could open the "Gate of the Worlds." There is a belief, at least for some educated powerful fellows, that they can also take Ciri's genetic material using a placenta and use it to mutate themselves and gain the powers. So basically the books in short, to borrow terminology from Jamie Lannister, are The War for Ciri's oval office.

The Conjunction as mentioned before, was made by humans in an effort to escape their world which they destroyed somehow. When they arrive at the world of the witcher series. They set about conquering the Elves. Most of the elves eventually fought back but lost hard. Some of the elves at some point however sought a way to flee from the world, but they had lost the power to open large dimensional rifts. So they got help from the unicorns who are apparently all timelords. The unicorns opened a rift and they escaped to another world. There were people living there already, so the elves wholesale slaughtered all the natives. They piled their bones in mass graves which Ciri later finds. The Unicorns become horrified by what the elves did and declared war on the Elves.

Anyways the Elves trap Ciri in their world with magic blocking her ability to teleport away, and they want to force her to have sex with their king so that they can have the prophetical child and tear open the Gate of Worlds, because the Unicorns won't help them do it anymore. The Red Riders or Wild Hunt as they are known each have a limited ability to teleport between dimension and time, but the Elves want to be able to bring all their elven brethren across the divide with them. They also likely want to subjugate or kill the entire human race.

So in context of the Witcher 3. It's likely they wanted to use Geralt or Yennifer as leverage to force Ciri to return and submit again. Or they probably know that Cirilla's destiny is Geralt. So they sought to add him to their spectral riders expecting that fate would pull Ciri and Geralt back together and they could capture her again. Geralt probably figured out their plans and managed to escape.

COOKIEMONSTER fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Apr 30, 2014

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I never read the books and probably never will (unless down the road a good translation is done by one company, which I do not think has been done yet). In any case, I read your post and appreciate it.

Dilkington
Aug 6, 2010

"Al mio amore Dilkington, Gennaro"
I'm sure this has been covered a few times but...how to people feel about the semi-official Full Combat Rebalance? I didn't see it addressed at the top of the thread.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

NatasDog posted:

How far in are you? I had problems somewhere during/after Act 2 because the sheer number of autosaves this game makes were filling up whatever limit there is in place on the number of save files. I deleted all but the last 10 or so saves and was able to complete the game from there on. The save files are pretty big too IIRC, so it's worthwhile to keep them cleaned up to save disk space; when I ran SpaceSniffer to figure out where all my disk space went the save folder for W2 was one of my worst offenders.

I had this problem but it didn't make the game crash to desktop, it just made it stick on loading screens forever until I gave up and exited the game.

dud root
Mar 30, 2008

Dilkington posted:

I'm sure this has been covered a few times but...how to people feel about the semi-official Full Combat Rebalance? I didn't see it addressed at the top of the thread.

I've only tired it on Witcher 1, having played it vanilla 3 times in full I thought it would spice things up for another play. Unfortunately it made the combat far more frustrating rather than adding to the difficulty/reward curve. I think this is partly because of the limitations of the W1 engine.

It seems much more suited to W2 because rolling and blocking are already a part of the base game, which it is meant to improve upon. It would be worth a try a least?

Dilkington
Aug 6, 2010

"Al mio amore Dilkington, Gennaro"
Thanks, I'll give it a shot.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
I personally thought it was pretty bad.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.
I only used it for a little bit, I liked some of it and hate hate hated other parts. It would be a lot nicer if it were modular.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

I can't read it in the original polish, but I think that the big part of the bad writing in Witcher 1 is a combination of bad localization and that the writing team was writing for a fan-audience, so a bunch of the events of the first chapter only even make any sense if you read the books.
Just a heads-up that while the series isn't translated into English - it was released in several other languages. So for people who know Spanish/French/German - you can read the whole series professionally translated.

Spanish edition also has some pretty cool covers:

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Palpek posted:

Just a heads-up that while the series isn't translated into English - it was released in several other languages. So for people who know Spanish/French/German - you can read the whole series professionally translated.

Spanish edition also has some pretty cool covers:

Why hasnt it been translated to English yet? :psyduck:

Lava Lamp Goddess
Feb 19, 2007

Mickey McKey posted:

It has. Well, some of it has. The first book of short stories, The Last Wish, and the first three in the novel series, Blood of Elves, Times of Contempt, and Baptism of Fire. I guess short story books don't sell so the second one, Sword of Destiny, is unlikely to get translated. There are fan translations online of everything, but they aren't very good. I've only read the translation of Sword of Destiny and the rest of the official translations and man, it's night and day in quality. I do really reccomend them, even if they are being released as slowly as humanly possible. Don't know why they translated them into basically every other major European language (Spanish, French, German, Russian, Italian, etc) while choosing to not do English. Maybe the genre isn't super popular in comparison to other languages?

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

It has. Well, some of it has. The first book of short stories, The Last Wish, and the first three in the novel series, Blood of Elves, Times of Contempt, and Baptism of Fire. I guess short story books don't sell so the second one, Sword of Destiny, is unlikely to get translated. There are fan translations online of everything, but they aren't very good. I've only read the translation of Sword of Destiny and the rest of the official translations and man, it's night and day in quality. I do really reccomend them, even if they are being released as slowly as humanly possible. Don't know why they translated them into basically every other major European language (Spanish, French, German, Russian, Italian, etc) while choosing to not do English. Maybe the genre isn't super popular in comparison to other languages?

Considering they translate all kinds of garbage, that doesn't seem too likely. The books focus on Ciri far more than Geralt, which may be a reason. The fan translations aren't all that bad, though I suspect Book 4 is a mess in every language. A lot of it reads like a rough draft that got hurried into print, which is also true of a number of popular writers these days. Editors no longer edit.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
Successful authors often think they don't need editors and then bad poo poo happens.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Mickey McKey posted:

To be completely fair the writing style of the books is pretty original. It's not your usual fantasy author as he really likes to play with words, style, vocabulary etc. which is the reason why the series became so popular as people who don't even like fantasy appreciate it very much. This means a skilled translator is needed so that the books don't get gutted and from what I've read of the English translation (only the short stories though) they're definitely lacking in that department. So basically more effort than usual is needed which makes it more difficult?

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.
The english versions I've read were pretty unimpressive, but Poles I respect insist that they are really really good in Polish. It's really considered a national treasure, no joke.

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

2nd Battalion

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

The english versions I've read were pretty unimpressive, but Poles I respect insist that they are really really good in Polish. It's really considered a national treasure, no joke.

I believe this and respect it. He's created the single most complex female character I've seen in Yennefer. And I wasted my 20s getting a degree in Literary Criticism, so I've read a lot of 'complex' female characters.

I think to properly translate it, they need to find a poet, someone who has a more fluid command of language than your typical translator.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Palpek posted:

Pan Sapkowski speaks Russian, was friends with the Russian translator and recommended the end result, so that's your best option if you have the choice.

funakupo
May 9, 2006

the ultimate longterm partner
Oven Wrangler
There is another short story of Geralt (Spellmaker) translated into English in the book A Polish Book of Monsters , translated by Michael Kandel. I really enjoyed the whole book of stories actually, so if you are eager to read anything Geralt in English, grab that.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
For what it's worth, I've been reading the Italian version of The Last Wish recently (hilariously, they translated the title as "The Guardian of Innocents") and, well, I hope the translator was just off-the-mark in terms of style, because while I really like some of Sapkowski's ideas and characters, the prose comes off as overwrought and not very expressive, and the characters have no voice of their own. At least it flows well and doesn't come off as stilted, unlike the English translation excerpt I read.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

funakupo posted:

There is another short story of Geralt (Spellmaker) translated into English in the book A Polish Book of Monsters , translated by Michael Kandel. I really enjoyed the whole book of stories actually, so if you are eager to read anything Geralt in English, grab that.

I've checked that compilation, and the authors are pretty great. I've read only The Iron General' (org. 'Ruch generala') by Jacek Dukaj, but Marek Huberath and Tomasz Kolodziejczak are solid writers. Jacek Dukaj is pretty much polish hard sci-fi superstar, I'd put him on par with Neal Stephenson or Iain Banks. I'd give my left nut to see HBO put Xavras Wyzryn on screen as miniseries..

Lava Lamp Goddess
Feb 19, 2007

Sadly I'm only monolingual, so I'm stuck with the English versions. I really enjoy the English translations regardless. I'm sure they are much, much better in their original language, but the chances of me learning either Polish or Russian is natch. My sister took Russian for her final year in college (compsci) and it was easily her hardest class.

Game of Thrones makes me yearn for a similarly produced Witcher series. Though how it'd do that, I'm unsure. Episodic content ala short stories, or the long novel narrative. I know there exists a rather crappy Polish miniseries, but I think I'll skip that.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Khazar-khum posted:

I believe this and respect it. He's created the single most complex female character I've seen in Yennefer. And I wasted my 20s getting a degree in Literary Criticism, so I've read a lot of 'complex' female characters.

So what's her deal that makes her so complex? I've read The Last Wish and played the games and only have gathered a bit of info about her in passing.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Spikeguy posted:

So what's her deal that makes her so complex? I've read The Last Wish and played the games and only have gathered a bit of info about her in passing.

She's a real woman. She has emotions that are often irrational, contradictory, and unpredictable. She loves Geralt, and hates him too. She hates the way he makes her feel, and loves the way he makes her feel. She "cheats" on him constantly, as he does her. There's really a lot of dimensions to her other than the typical fantasy characters like "slut, tomboy, princess" etc. She's all those things and then some.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I was going to say, does cheating even count in this world? I'm pretty sure I have a very serious relationship with Triss since game one, but that hasn't stopped me from sleeping with all females despite race. I'm pretty sure she knew about some of them.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Spikeguy posted:

I was going to say, does cheating even count in this world? I'm pretty sure I have a very serious relationship with Triss since game one, but that hasn't stopped me from sleeping with all females despite race. I'm pretty sure she knew about some of them.

Well you know, you get amnesia, your girlfriend gets turned into a small figurine, you get seduced by a succubus etc. Things happen. :shrug:

Seriously though, I always got the feeling that monogamy is a bit "looser" to say the least in the Witcher world, but also that people like Yennefer and Triss are also just willing to put up with a lot of Geralt's poo poo.

Kimmalah fucked around with this message at 00:32 on May 10, 2014

Lava Lamp Goddess
Feb 19, 2007

Not to mention Triss kinda took advantage of the whole amnesia thing. She was always jealous of Yennefer, and now with her out of the picture and Geralt not exactly remembering which sorceress he had a relationship with, she moves in. Kinda skeevey.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Spikeguy posted:

That's why I put cheating in quotes.

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

2nd Battalion

Game of Thrones makes me yearn for a similarly produced Witcher series. Though how it'd do that, I'm unsure. Episodic content ala short stories, or the long novel narrative. I know there exists a rather crappy Polish miniseries, but I think I'll skip that.

The subtitles are hit-or-miss, but the show itself isn't really that bad. Yeah, they have a very low budget, but they still manage to pull some of it off. Probably the worst ones are the first two. The guy they found for Geralt looks a lot like Chris Helmsworth.

I'd use the stories and games as a point of departure. There's a lot of Geralt's career that is never covered in either the stories or books.

Nektu
Jul 4, 2007

FUKKEN FUUUUUUCK
Cybernetic Crumb

Kimmalah posted:

Seriously though, I always got the feeling that monogamy is a bit "looser" to say the least in the Witcher world, but also that people like Yennefer and Triss are also just willing to put up with a lot of Geralt's poo poo.
Well, just like the real world then :v:

Weren't the sourcerors/sourceresses in the witcher's world particularly open about their carnal desires? Something about them being rather hideous before they learned magic. Then they did learn magic, turned themselves ravishingly pretty and went wild...

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Spikeguy posted:

It always struck me as weird how in the first game, you got to choose between Triss and that other girl (Shaina or something?) for your romance partner, and if you picked the other one, Triss got world-endingly mad at you (as I seem to remember, anyway), but then no matter what choice you made, Witcher 2 begins with the two of you naked in bed.

Geralt must be funny or something I dunno.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Triss is pretty used to being Geralt's silver medal.

That said she seemed a tad out of character in the first game to me. The writing in general improved a lot in the second.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

2nd Battalion

Nektu posted:

Well, just like the real world then :v:

Weren't the sourcerors/sourceresses in the witcher's world particularly open about their carnal desires? Something about them being rather hideous before they learned magic. Then they did learn magic, turned themselves ravishingly pretty and went wild...

Pretty much. Yennefer is really an ugly, deformed hunchback whose parents basically dumped her at sorceress school. Geralt knows this, because he can see her true form. She is not happy that he knows her secret. The others are open about their sexual needs and desires. They tend to think of Geralt as something of a conquest.

Geralt has a sentimental, romantic feeling about women in general. He treats them with deference and kindness. Yennefer and others tend to walk all over him. He would much prefer to live in monogamy with her, but their relationship is too volatile. When he is with her he is committed to her, a courtesy she doesn't always extend to him. When they're apart, he drifts from woman to woman, while she does the same with men.

The game uglied him up. He's generally described as good-looking, being pale to the point of albino, with eyes like a viper. He's an exotic alpha male with a supremely alpha job. Lots of women find that irresistable. And he's good in bed.

Short answer: he's a man's fantasy figure.

• Locked thread