Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Propaganda Bob
Aug 26, 2006

Not one step backwards!

Bonus points for the hidden confederate flag.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

ToyotaThong posted:

Saw this "beautiful artwork" a few weeks ago.
A friend finally captured it for the rest of you to enjoy.

I have to admit the sheer audacity and matter-of-fact way that this is presented sort of impresses me. The owner of this truck is probably a pretty cool guy.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

Throatwarbler posted:

The owner of this truck is probably a pretty cool guy.

Myth...busted.

:v:

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

i are a dumb :downs:

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

Bulk Vanderhuge posted:

Ooooooo wheeee gonna gently caress me a dead buck in the rear end I tell you what

So uh yeah: http://www.twincities.com/ci_21379166/hermantown-minn-man-convicted-sex-dead-deer-charged

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Can I bitch about a terrible ticket here?

Got one for parking about where that box truck is. Why? My miata takes up too much space on this quiet street where the only traffic is from the people living in like 10 houses on the left of the photos. Going by that rule, there's probably nowhere else to park in a 1km radius except for the handful of spaces directly below my apartment :argh:

Captain Trips
May 23, 2013
The sudden reminder that I have no fucking clue what I'm talking about
For a second I thought you were going to say that you were parked like that VW box in the foreground, and then complain about a ticket. I was going to have to make significant and immediate progress on my "Slap A Moron Through The Internet" machine.

Seriously, what the gently caress is that guy doing?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Parking the wrong way around is super common around here, despite being a ticketable offense. People don't give a poo poo.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

If parking the wrong pay bothers you, don't go to Boston.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

KozmoNaut posted:

Parking the wrong way around is super common around here, despite being a ticketable offense. People don't give a poo poo.

I got a ticket for this on a small, one-lane, two-way residential street in Virginia. Not exactly sure what the point of that was supposed to be.

shoopeach
Aug 13, 2012

ToyotaThong posted:

Saw this "beautiful artwork" a few weeks ago.
A friend finally captured it for the rest of you to enjoy.

good ole Escambia County..and people wonder why its the poorest county in Florida

Back when I lived there I saw this

Holdbrooks
Jan 1, 2005

NEAI 2015
RIDE ETERNAL SHINY AND CHROME
ONWARD TO THE HALLS OF RUSTHALLA

Rhyno posted:

Ugh. Except when they have a loving park bench bolted to the trunk lid.

:( does it count if it's bolted to the chassis?

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
Not sure which thread this goes in, but I found this in my complex's parking lot last night:

Only one wheel had a hubcap. I guess sometimes it's just fun to pretend.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

mobby_6kl posted:

Can I bitch about a terrible ticket here?

Got one for parking about where that box truck is. Why? My miata takes up too much space on this quiet street where the only traffic is from the people living in like 10 houses on the left of the photos. Going by that rule, there's probably nowhere else to park in a 1km radius except for the handful of spaces directly below my apartment :argh:

I don't understand. Is parking allowed on the street yet you somehow got a ticket anyway? Or are there signs that say no parking but everyone else is doing it and getting tickets anyway?

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

Super Aggro Crag posted:

If parking the wrong pay bothers you, don't go to Boston.

The city that gave me a parking ticket for parking in a marked, signed, legal spot in a marked MIT car. Complained, and they basically said "too bad, so sad, go to court if you really want to bitch about it"

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
No signs, but it's probably technically not allowed anyway, because after parking there isn't a certain amount of space left in the lane. I haven't measured it but the street isn't very wide so it's possibly correct. However that's the first time I saw people get fined for it. Previously I got a warning once (same street, different car) for parking in the wrong direction and too close to an intersection, like that VW there.

As I said, the fine is probably technically correct, but it still pisses me off, because who actually cares? Why did it take them two years to notice this? Why is the fine twice higher than for driving the wrong way down a one-way street? And what the hell is everyone supposed to do now?

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

mobby_6kl posted:

As I said, the fine is probably technically correct, but it still pisses me off, because who actually cares? Why did it take them two years to notice this? Why is the fine twice higher than for driving the wrong way down a one-way street? And what the hell is everyone supposed to do now?

I imagine some residents have just been complaining and it took two years to get someone from the government to actually go out and ticket people.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

KozmoNaut posted:

In Indiana it's a "directional parking violation." I believe it's a $75 fine.

Holdbrooks posted:

:( does it count if it's bolted to the chassis?

If you show up to C&C in the truck I think they have to give you a trophy.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

shoopeach posted:

good ole Escambia County..and people wonder why its the poorest county in Florida

Back when I lived there I saw this

What is it about America and Australia where the all the poor people are so desperately, proudly patriotic? In other, more civilised countries everyone is vaguely ashamed of the whole situation.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

Slavvy posted:

What is it about America and Australia where the all the poor people are so desperately, proudly patriotic? In other, more civilised countries everyone is vaguely ashamed of the whole situation.

Because poor people living off the generosity of the government love their country for providing food and the rich hate their country because they have to pay taxes.

Also lower income owners buy one "expensive" car/truck during their lifespan and worships their shitbox by decorating it with gaudy crap. Meanwhile the rich rear end in a top hat buys a BMW 7 series and plows it into a tree before the end of the week, just means it's time to go buy a Mercedes.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Crotch Fruit posted:

Because poor people living off the generosity of the government love their country for providing food and the rich hate their country because they have to pay taxes.

Post terrible posts in this thread

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Slavvy posted:

Unable to resolve the contradiction between what their country could or should be and what their country sometimes is, the 'poor' in their ignorance ignore the 'is'.

Unable to resolve the contradiction between what their country could or should be and what their country sometimes is, 'other, more civilized people' feel shame, or attempt to ignore their ignorance with affected ennui.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

My only real example is New Zealand. In NZ, poorer people (of which I consider myself to be one) are generally pretty ashamed of their situation and spend a lot of their time bitching about the government, society, inequality and so on. I'm not saying these arguments are valid/invalid, that's just what happens. Usually it's the comparatively wealthy yuppie types who run around waving flags and talking about kiwiana bullshit. This makes sense to me because the wealthy aren't usually directly exposed to what's wrong with our society, they don't frequent poor neighbourhoods, they don't have the terrible diet or financial difficulties of the poor. So they think everything is hunky-dory and it's a great country that we should be proud to live in et al

In the US it seems like the opposite is true and you see absolutely destitute people with flags plastered all over their house, whereas the more wealthy make an effort to drive foreign cars, build houses to some ham-fisted interpretation of european style and so on. Why do you need gigantic flags sticking up out of your pickup truck to show how patriotic you are? You're already in america. Everyone knows you're in america and, chances are, you're actually american. Who are they impressing? It's like a contest to prove who has the most patriotism.

Slavvy fucked around with this message at 22:27 on May 9, 2014

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Slavvy posted:

In the US it seems like the opposite is true and you see absolutely destitute people with flags plastered all over their house, whereas the more wealthy make an effort to drive foreign cars, build houses to some ham-fisted interpretation of european style and so on. Why do you need gigantic flags sticking up out of your pickup truck to show how patriotic you are? You're already in america. Everyone knows you're in america and, chances are, you're actually american. Who are they impressing? It's like a contest to prove who has the most patriotism.

That's less reality and more what gets put out in TV/movie media, for reasons beyond the scope of thread. That's basically what happens when our biggest foreign media exports are Baywatch and Jerry Springer.

triple clutcher
Jul 3, 2012

Slavvy posted:

Everyone knows you're in america and, chances are, you're actually american.
but in conversation you're still a series of percentages of Irish/Polish/German/etc. because your great-great-great-grandparents lived there for a few years before emigrating.

More on topic, the other day I saw a rusted out pickup pull into a gas station and lose a rear fender skin in the process. I can't imagine what life is like in a state that *doesn't* require inspections.

Captain Trips
May 23, 2013
I think the American patriotism from the poor comes mostly from the people who fetishize and hero worship the military. We don't have mandatory service (and haven't had a draft in 40 years) so all of our military are volunteers. Who volunteers for the military? Mostly the poor and uneducated. Yeah, there are some who go in for the degree and training in a technical field, but the majority of enlisted soldiers are the ones who wouldn't be able to get a real-world job that pays more than the $18k-$25k that the Army pays.

So these poor and dumb people see someone like them in the military, and they start to consider the soldiers heroes, even if all they do is shoot at brown people on the other side of the world. Especially after 9/11, when "DEFENDING FREEDOM" became something that the US Army did (forget for a moment the fact that the American military hasn't defended America in three generations). Fetishisation of the military leads directly to irrational patriotism.

Captain Trips fucked around with this message at 22:44 on May 9, 2014

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Post terrible political poo poo in this thread

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

kastein posted:

I'm sure this looks far worse IRL but just from the pic I kinda like it, beats a three foot tall chrome square

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

kastein posted:

If that was pasted on the front of a Raptor I would drive the poo poo out of it.

With a fuckoff huge american flag sprouting out of the bed.

Take that 1%ers!

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
It's also got far too much lift, stupid ugly wheels, etc.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

kastein posted:

Lift is dumb, sure, but this... kinda... works for me. The lines seem to line up better than a lot of these do [like that Jagtruck that gets posted occasionally]

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Saw this on Jalopnik.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Gotta be a flood car.

Captain Trips
May 23, 2013

Bovril Delight posted:

Gotta be a flood car.

They supposedly are, but I don't understand this at all. Is there really nothing in a water-damaged car that can be salvaged? Body panels, wheels, glass?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

It's a shame they couldn't be gutted and sold as a sculpture, or stripped of all electricals and sold as a VINless body in white, but you know somewhere out there there's some unscrupulous gently caress that would try to patch them back together and vin swap them with a crashed car.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

I wouldn't take a flood car chassis unless the drat thing was free.

I have enough rust problems without going looking for them.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Captain Trips posted:

They supposedly are, but I don't understand this at all. Is there really nothing in a water-damaged car that can be salvaged? Body panels, wheels, glass?

Depends on the severity I imagine. Some flood cars get cleaned up and resold (don't buy these). Some places may just scrap them all together. Where's the picture from I wonder?

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Captain Trips posted:

Gut them and make them into badass racecar beds!

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

I suppose the thing starting up and bouncing off the rev limiter would make a pretty sweet alarm clock. Not gonna sleep through that one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Do astons still have a steel floorpan?